Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

Do you have any experience with this line of tele-likes? I've been reading into them a bit and I'm reading that "some" fender parts won't fit on it. Does that mean like I can't but a tele neck on it? Or does that mean the pickups?

The chances that I'm ever going to swap them are slim, I'm not gigging or anything and probably never will, I'm just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Well, Sockington put a Squier JM neck on his offset he got from them, then decided to put it back on the JM.

My best answer is 'it gets complicated because I think American and MIM necks aren't quite the same'. There's also MIM and Standard and Classic tele bridges, some with three screws and some with four, some with metric spacing and some with standard.

So, yes, some parts won't fit, but others will, but it's no worse than any other tele.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

Well, Sockington put a Squier JM neck on his offset he got from them, then decided to put it back on the JM.

My best answer is 'it gets complicated because I think American and MIM necks aren't quite the same'. There's also MIM and Standard and Classic tele bridges, some with three screws and some with four, some with metric spacing and some with standard.

So, yes, some parts won't fit, but others will, but it's no worse than any other tele.

Sorta. I had a JM neck for another project that never panned out. I stuck it on the GFS Telemaster body to try out the offset shape. The GFS neck had horrible fret work so I never used it.

Dug the body style, but wasn't a huge fan of having ANOTHER hard tail (would have made 4 total), so I ordered up a Modern Player body to get the TOM bridge and the original trem placement (JM JM is closer to bridge).

That body is now in the hands of Ramulek from here (and his gold JM JM pickguard is coming my way for the black body). Probably going to route my mahogany body for JM pickups and the rhythm circuit. Still want to order a bound neck with block inlays to complete my horrible dream.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Bread Dragon posted:

This is all gut feeling and anecdote, but I see a LOT of Telecasters and Les Pauls in Chicago. I probably know more people who play Danos or hollowbodies than I do Strats, or even random superstrat-type clones.

I agree with this assessment.

Source: I am a telecaster player in Chicago

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

jwh posted:

Don't know if you know these guys. They live the next town over from me.

Anyway, I love the guitar tones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTjAFPdlGHo

Been listening to this a few times a day so I went ahead and bought the album for a drive today. Absolutely slays. It's a clinic in actual balls out rock music and has a great noise rock/almost sludge side. The guitars sound so good in every song. I'm surprised they're not way more popular.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I've got Rocksmith 2014 coming in the mail tomorrow (PC). Any advice on how to get the most out of my experience?

Or just put it in and play.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

fullroundaction posted:

I've got Rocksmith 2014 coming in the mail tomorrow (PC). Any advice on how to get the most out of my experience?

Take 30 minutes more than everyone else does to set it up.
Berate your roommates periodically for bringing you well liquor and 'not knowing who you are'.
Every other song turn around and stare at the (imaginary) drummer and mouth repeatedly 'what the gently caress are you doing?'

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

If you haven't yet, buy cherub rock (which may actually come with 2014), sign up for an account at customsforge.com and enjoy all of the custom DLC that people make. You can read about why you need Cherub Rock, don't wanna go into too much detail as I'm not sure if that's :filez: or not. Just know you need that song for the custom DLC to work.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

fullroundaction posted:

If you've ever looked at guitar tabs in your life, make sure to flip the string order in RS.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Schpyder posted:

If you've ever looked at guitar tabs in your life, make sure to flip the string order in RS.

That too, I didn't know this was an option so I've been playing the other way, recently switched it and it's 100x better. Don't know why it doesn't just default to that.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

iostream.h posted:

Every other song turn around and stare at the (imaginary) drummer and mouth repeatedly 'what the gently caress are you doing?'

:laffo:

Schpyder posted:

Yeah I was watching YouTube videos to check out the gameplay and seeing the default kind of turned me off at first because I didn't "get it". I understand what they were going for but how the hell didn't the guitarists on the team developing this not force them to do it the other way??

SaNChEzZ posted:

sign up for an account at customsforge.com and enjoy all of the custom DLC that people make. You can read about why you need Cherub Rock

Done and done.

Thanks everyone! Hopefully the install goes smooth. I haven't purchased a physical copy of a video game ... in probably 10 years. Just happened to find a good deal on it+cable bundle.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

search.customsforge.com is where you want to be now. I tend to choose the songs with DD (dynamic difficulty), but that's on you.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I don't have a DVD drive, so I guess I need to download Rockband 2014 on Steam and then buy the adapter?

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

Personally, it does not matter how slow I set the Riff Repeater, I just can't "get" the notes as they fly by. I need to use the utility from http://www.rocksmithtotab.de to convert the songs to Guitar Pro files so I can print them out. Once I've been able to muddle through the song a few times on paper, then I stand a chance in game.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I think having played other music games help you like "get it" a little easier

And LÀ is lotsa jags/jm with some teles

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I don't have a DVD drive, so I guess I need to download Rockband 2014 on Steam and then buy the adapter?

Yeah, I got mine through humble bundle, which just gave me a link to Steam, and then I bought the realtone cable separately on amazon.

gang control
Nov 1, 2007
what a thing to say at the table
I'm left-handed and trying to finally stick with learning guitar. What's the hivemind thought on learning on a right-handed guitar vs. a left-handed one? Left-handed ones feel more natural but I'm guessing they present some challenges when you're learning from a right-handed teacher. I can see some upside to having my dominant hand on the frets, but I don't really know whether I'd be doing myself a disservice or making the learning curve tougher if I used a righty guitar. Anyone have input about this?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

One of my good friends is left handed, but plays right handed. He plays for a living, so it's possible.

On playing left handed, Jimi played left handed.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Minto Took posted:

One of my good friends is left handed, but plays right handed. He plays for a living, so it's possible.

On playing left handed, Jimi played left handed.

Didn't he play left handed by flipping a right handed guitar upside down though?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

Didn't he play left handed by flipping a right handed guitar upside down though?

He still played left handed.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Minto Took posted:

He still played left handed.

Yeah but Albert King style without restringing. Confuses the hell out of me.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Dewgy posted:

Wasn't Dick Dale doing that as well kind of. He took left handed guitars and strung them upside down as if you'd be playing a right handed guitar in your left.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Dick Dale didn't restring. Saw that in a magazine interview.

He does use a 60 gauge low E, though. :v:

print scream key
Sep 20, 2012
Quick question:

I'm pretty sure I hosed up my Taylor. I have backbow in my neck and the little brass nut that you turn under the truss rod cover just spins loosely around the threaded rod and I can even take it off. I'm thinking the truss rod is binding up somewhere along the neck because of the backbow and whatever they put on the nut to keep it on the rod couldn't take the torque when I tried to loosen it. Is Loctite a dumb idea to try to get the rod to loosen at least a little bit?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

gang control posted:

I'm left-handed and trying to finally stick with learning guitar. What's the hivemind thought on learning on a right-handed guitar vs. a left-handed one? Left-handed ones feel more natural but I'm guessing they present some challenges when you're learning from a right-handed teacher. I can see some upside to having my dominant hand on the frets, but I don't really know whether I'd be doing myself a disservice or making the learning curve tougher if I used a righty guitar. Anyone have input about this?

A LOT of left handed people play righty guitars. I am left handed (both wrists are somewhat mangled though) and started on a right handed guitar. I have never really had any problems and I don't have to pay more for a limited selection of guitars. It takes an almost equal amount of dexterity and coordination for both fretting and strumming if you ask me. You should probably go with whatever is more comfortable for you, but be aware there is really nothing weird about playing a right handed guitar as a lefty, it has a lot of upsides.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
first of mine plays a left handed guitar and plays a right handed bass upside down. He couldnt be bothered to find a left handed bass

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I usually recommend to students and customers that they strum with the side they feel rhythm on. I'll play a little bit for them, and have them tap their foot without explaining why so they don't have time to think about it.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Dewgy posted:

Hendrix restrung to left handed but preferred right handed strats as the bridge pickup would be brighter on the bottom strings because of the angled mounting.

Playing upside down isn't that crazy really, I've done shows with a left-handed bass in a pinch. Not sure I'd recommend it but it's doable and I didn't have to think much. Chords are a bastard without retuning to something more sensible though.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

darkwasthenight posted:

Hendrix restrung to left handed but preferred right handed strats as the bridge pickup would be brighter on the bottom strings because of the angled mounting.

Playing upside down isn't that crazy really, I've done shows with a left-handed bass in a pinch. Not sure I'd recommend it but it's doable and I didn't have to think much. Chords are a bastard without retuning to something more sensible though.

I did not know that! Weirdly all this talk about lefty stuff is making me GAS for a cheap lefty that I can play righty, AK-style. That'd be fun to try and wrap my brain around.

e: my soul now pines for a wood-finish lefty flying v... ugh

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 26, 2015

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

my friend and i are both left handed and both play right handed guitars. i heard it reduces the initial learning curve for fretting chords and the like but who knows. whatever feels comfortable really

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Minto Took posted:

Dick Dale didn't restring. Saw that in a magazine interview.

He does use a 60 gauge low E, though. :v:

Then call me blind because those certainly are some heavy rear end G/B/E strings.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Low as in note; not position.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Minto Took posted:

Low as in note; not position.

Dale strings upside down, as you can see from the picture above.

He claims that's what gives him such a strong tremolo picking style but I think being generally louder than gently caress helps a bit. He started with multiple 50 watt Bassmen and they weren't enough, so got Fender to do him 100 watt Showman amps in the sixties. He used a few in stereo with slave amps and things and he's only got louder since then.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

darkwasthenight posted:

Dale strings upside down, as you can see from the picture above.

He claims that's what gives him such a strong tremolo pick style

He said his first instrument was a uke. He couldn't figure out why his hands couldn't make the shapes the book was telling him, so he just forced himself to learn that way.

Dick Dale posted:

The book didn't say, 'turn it the other way stupid, you're left handed' so I just forced my fingers

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

Been listening to this a few times a day so I went ahead and bought the album for a drive today. Absolutely slays. It's a clinic in actual balls out rock music and has a great noise rock/almost sludge side. The guitars sound so good in every song. I'm surprised they're not way more popular.

Cool, glad you like it. There's a lot of good stuff going on in my neck of the woods (Western Mass).

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I played a few P90 semi-hollows today and I have come across two things: Surface-mounted dog-ear plastic P90s look like freshly squirted bum gravy and while the neck pickups universally sounded very warm and full, the bridge pickups were very scooped; like running a P-Bass through a Marshall guitar amp. Is the latter unique to the pair I was using, or is it a typical P90-bridge sound?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Southern Heel posted:

So I played a few P90 semi-hollows today and I have come across two things: Surface-mounted dog-ear plastic P90s look like freshly squirted bum gravy and while the neck pickups universally sounded very warm and full, the bridge pickups were very scooped; like running a P-Bass through a Marshall guitar amp. Is the latter unique to the pair I was using, or is it a typical P90-bridge sound?

I wouldn't say typical. They'll be a bit more scooped than humbuckers but I found they can be quite mid heavy and almost honky with overdrive. What guitar was it?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Bit more of a learning curve on Rocksmith than I was anticipating, being that I consider myself a Guitar Hero/Rockband SUPERSTAR.

Also the inclusion of songs not in standard tuning is really frustrating. I picked literally 4 songs in a row that were Drop D, Eb, Drop D, and then "the kinks are out of tune we think so here gently caress up your strings till we say stop". Apparently that's a tuning too.

:allears: The Kinks :allears:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

fullroundaction posted:

Bit more of a learning curve on Rocksmith than I was anticipating, being that I consider myself a Guitar Hero/Rockband SUPERSTAR.

Also the inclusion of songs not in standard tuning is really frustrating. I picked literally 4 songs in a row that were Drop D, Eb, Drop D, and then "the kinks are out of tune we think so here gently caress up your strings till we say stop". Apparently that's a tuning too.

:allears: The Kinks :allears:

Fyi there is a rocksmith thread here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
FWIW jwh sent me one of their demos and it was pretty solid. Jesu/Nadja vibes.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 27, 2015