Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Cuatal posted:

Never seen that, how much was it and for how long? Could you put in more money if you wanted it to keep going while you were sleeping?

It was in the dorms at HKU, the ones on Pok Fu Lam road. I can't remember exactly how much they cost or if you could stack up the time- this was almost 9 years ago- but I think it bought you about an hour's worth of relief. I had the same thing when I moved to Japan in 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A true mainland coin op AC would only take iPhone 6s.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Had an American friend tell me the reason her visa was denied is because there were too many Americans overstaying their visas in China. Anyone hear anything about this? It seems like the kind of thing that would on the news or in one of the "China is the best country ever the rest of the world sucks look how scummy they are" newspapers.

I thought visas were supposed to be easier to get after the meeting between Obama and Xi Jin Ping but I've been hearing it's actually much harder from both Chinese and foreign people.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Cuatal posted:

Had an American friend tell me the reason her visa was denied is because there were too many Americans overstaying their visas in China.

Was she told this at the consulate by a consular employee? Or was she told this by a visa agent?

If it's the latter, I think you can discount it entirely.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Cuatal posted:

Had an American friend tell me the reason her visa was denied is because there were too many Americans overstaying their visas in China. Anyone hear anything about this? It seems like the kind of thing that would on the news or in one of the "China is the best country ever the rest of the world sucks look how scummy they are" newspapers.

I thought visas were supposed to be easier to get after the meeting between Obama and Xi Jin Ping but I've been hearing it's actually much harder from both Chinese and foreign people.

I'm renewing my visa next month so I'll let you know!!!

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Cuatal posted:

Had an American friend tell me the reason her visa was denied is because there were too many Americans overstaying their visas in China. Anyone hear anything about this? .

I'm going to attempt to get a 10 year tourist visa in a month or two... I'll let you know if I'm successful!

kenner116
May 15, 2009

SB35 posted:

I'm going to attempt to get a 10 year tourist visa in a month or two... I'll let you know if I'm successful!

Apply for 120 days per entry and see what happens. I heard that the default for the 10-year is only 60 days, but might as well ask for longer.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Has anyone in this thread been issued a 10-year visa for visiting your spouse? Did you go for a Q1/2 visa or a tourist visa?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Woodsy Owl posted:

Has anyone in this thread been issued a 10-year visa for visiting your spouse? Did you go for a Q1/2 visa or a tourist visa?

Isn't the Q2 visa just a temporary one before getting your residence permit? I'm going for Q1 this summer so I'll let you know the results.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Woodsy Owl how is everything going???!!

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Cuatal posted:

Had an American friend tell me the reason her visa was denied is because there were too many Americans overstaying their visas in China.

We've had no problems on the work visa front, and we literally just hired 2 Americans.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Magna Kaser posted:

What are you going to grad school for? There's a decent amount of jobs in Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen for non esl-work, and plenty in other cities as well, but it kinda depends what you're going to school for.

MBA and engineer or cs degrees probably have the easiest time, followed by lawyers.

Hell, I know people who do Video game QA management in Shanghai, so there's plenty of work if you know where to look.

Also HK has a bazillion jobs.

Thanks! That's encouraging.

Master of Public Policy. Maybe not as useful for China work as an MBA. It's from a prestigious school, and our school has a heavy quantitative component with emphasis on statistical analysis and economics.

I took the HSK and passed HSK3 easily. I'm working towards HSK4 and hope to pass that by the end of the summer.

I still have a lot of contacts in China, but they're concentrated in the ESL industry. I'm thinking of doing a short summer abroad course on Chinese Policy and Economics at Fudan, which might be a good way to develop some contacts, maybe.

For HK, I got the impression, from looking at a few companies that have offices there and are hiring for those offices, that most places are looking for British/Commonwealth expats, maybe because it's easier for them to get visas?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

caberham posted:

Whoa super lurker

...什么?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
can the guy whose sister-in-law was here illegally and having sex with internet dudes please post again with an update???

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Also I would like to know her visa number tia

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

Also I would like to know her visa number tia

and her cvc

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Thanks! That's encouraging.

Master of Public Policy. Maybe not as useful for China work as an MBA. It's from a prestigious school, and our school has a heavy quantitative component with emphasis on statistical analysis and economics.

I took the HSK and passed HSK3 easily. I'm working towards HSK4 and hope to pass that by the end of the summer.

I still have a lot of contacts in China, but they're concentrated in the ESL industry. I'm thinking of doing a short summer abroad course on Chinese Policy and Economics at Fudan, which might be a good way to develop some contacts, maybe.

For HK, I got the impression, from looking at a few companies that have offices there and are hiring for those offices, that most places are looking for British/Commonwealth expats, maybe because it's easier for them to get visas?

TBH any job that will want (and pay for) a foreigner won't care about your Chinese level except in very specific situations, and the ones that do will have their own requirements and tests, so don't stress the HSK stuff. My Chinese has actually gotten worse since I started working here!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Hong Kong MNCs hiring for 100k+ jobs prefer non-Americans because they're cheaper because America has global taxation. Write your congressman.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Bloodnose posted:

Hong Kong MNCs hiring for 100k+ jobs prefer non-Americans because they're cheaper because America has global taxation. Write your congressman.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

The trick is to make under 93k which I believe is the exemption you can make.

The other trick is to renounce your US citizenship (this costs 15% of your total assets, iirc).

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Magna Kaser posted:

The trick is to make under 93k which I believe is the exemption you can make.

That's why I said the problem is with 100k+ jobs. Of which Hong Kong has like a jillion. I'm assuming/hoping this goon with his master's from a prestigious school was looking at those and was explaining why he's feeling like they're not for Americans. Because they're not. Because they'd have to pay you like 30% more than your non-American peers to put you on equal take home pay.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeoh posted:

and her cvc

i'd like to get her hpv too

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

That's why I said the problem is with 100k+ jobs. Of which Hong Kong has like a jillion. I'm assuming/hoping this goon with his master's from a prestigious school was looking at those and was explaining why he's feeling like they're not for Americans. Because they're not. Because they'd have to pay you like 30% more than your non-American peers to put you on equal take home pay.

Unless your degree is in like Law or Business or maybe Finance you probably won't be making more than 100k out of the gate--it is the way of the world.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Who, other than rich, connected kids, is getting a $100k entry level job with a degree in "Business"?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

fart simpson posted:

Who, other than rich, connected kids, is getting a $100k entry level job with a degree in "Business"?

Hehe sounds like you are jealous, comrade

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

fart simpson posted:

I know a few MBAs that made 6 figures out of business school. I should have said "advanced degree in the business field"

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jeoh posted:

i think this is useful information for my friends in the china thread: http://kiteplans.info/2014/10/09/how-to-alipay-account-sign-up-for-foreigners-in-china-2014/

FYI this works but has changed a little since this was posted if people in my office doing it today are any indication--

1. It asks you if you're from China, HK, Taiwan, or elsewhere before you verify your identity, so it's a little easier.

2. It deposits money almost instantly and once you input that amount there's a 1-2 day period where they audit everything, instead of the audit period happening before the deposit.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

That's way more info than I needed to provide.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I have an MBA and MLS from American University of Business Information, Lagos campus

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

peanut posted:

I have an MBA and MLS from American University of Business Information, Lagos campus

Well you're raking it in, then

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dear friend, I am in urgent need of a third-party recipient for funds deposited by my uncle before the revolution. Please send your bank information, pin and ssn to my secretary office3@americanbank.h5.ne.ni

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
For those that asked about Urumqi pages and pages ago, here's a little rundown of my experience here.

The food is indeed really good, and naan is available pretty much everywhere. In my last city, I used to make these absurd runs into the center of the city to get decent kabobs and naan, so this is a big improvement.

The countryside is really beautiful. The city is not. Surprise.

We've got armed police pretty much everywhere and an increasingly visible security apparatus.

They're blasting tunnels now for the city's first subway line. I hear it will open in 2018 or so. It's sort of hard to believe.

Really, the only thing that sucks is that it's just not as lively as other Chinese cities I've been to, owing I guess to the security situation. Night markets were pretty much all shut down last summer. For me, without the diversity of people here, the city itself wouldn't have much character.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

systran posted:

can the guy whose sister-in-law was here illegally and having sex with internet dudes please post again with an update???

I think that was me.

She's still here, but recently quit her job and is likely headed back to China after a few scheduled cosmetic surgeries.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Bless this day that you have returned

Can you give us a lot of longposts and details if possible?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I have a Masters Degree in Unregulated Pharmaceuticals and Indoor Poultry (double major), I am raking it in

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheBuilder posted:

I think that was me.

She's still here, but recently quit her job and is likely headed back to China after a few scheduled cosmetic surgeries.

Is she going back to finish her degree? Because that's totally what she should be doing!

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Sister in law's story has been pretty mild in the last 6 months. She keeps getting used by these guys she met on okcupid for sex, and no amount of concern from us seemed to make much difference.

The saddest thing was 2 months ago when she was at our place and some dude shows up at the house, took her to a hotel (she paid), and brought her back at about 1 am. The next day she asked my wife to take her to Target and get a morning after pill.

She believes this one guy is her boyfriend, but at every holiday he's no where to be found, never met his family, never been to where he lives, and so on. I ask her how this is anywhere close to a real relationship and she admits its not normal but its her only option right now.

She's getting breast augmentation this Friday and eyelid surgery in a couple of weeks as a last ditch effort in her mind to attract a guy that will make her happy.

I imagine that after a disappointing spring and summer, she will head back to the hometown and ask her parents to help arrange a marriage.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sounds like a problem that could be easily solved by sneaking a look at her passport and pming me the number of the visa she overstayed.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheBuilder posted:

Sister in law's story has been pretty mild in the last 6 months. She keeps getting used by these guys she met on okcupid for sex, and no amount of concern from us seemed to make much difference.

The saddest thing was 2 months ago when she was at our place and some dude shows up at the house, took her to a hotel (she paid), and brought her back at about 1 am. The next day she asked my wife to take her to Target and get a morning after pill.

She believes this one guy is her boyfriend, but at every holiday he's no where to be found, never met his family, never been to where he lives, and so on. I ask her how this is anywhere close to a real relationship and she admits its not normal but its her only option right now.

She's getting breast augmentation this Friday and eyelid surgery in a couple of weeks as a last ditch effort in her mind to attract a guy that will make her happy.

I imagine that after a disappointing spring and summer, she will head back to the hometown and ask her parents to help arrange a marriage.

This is incredibly depressing. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

Sounds like a problem that could be easily solved by sneaking a look at her passport and pming me the number of the visa she overstayed.

You are going to call INS aren't you