Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

doesn't do anything for anyone except aggravate nerds
totally worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

product placement where hp or whoever is providing the stuff put loving huge logos on the back of their monitors to try and draw attention to is is the most :smith: thing. an admission that the brand isnt worth poo poo.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

product placement where hp or whoever is providing the stuff put loving huge logos on the back of their monitors to try and draw attention to is is the most :smith: thing. an admission that the brand isnt worth poo poo.

well the problem is that

when you do your damndest to make your laptop identical to a macbook

then just showing your laptop on its own is no longer useful, because it'll just look like apple product placement

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i would try and find some screengrabs but :effort:. i think the massive hp logos were a csi:ny thing. looked awful.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dell displays do actually have huge Dell logos on the back.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

Dell displays do actually have huge Dell logos on the back.

i only look at the front of mine

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pinterest Mom posted:

well the problem is that

when you do your damndest to make your laptop identical to a macbook

then just showing your laptop on its own is no longer useful, because it'll just look like apple product placement

a few years ago when they still had the old xp style windows logo they would replace the apple logo with that windows logo on what were clearly macbooks on some shows

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it is good microsoft jettisoned its only vaguely well known windows brand for some generic skewed cubes

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
I miss the windows flag :(

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

it was beautiful but had to die because the os lost half its ability to manage application windows

if they could call it something other than windows they would, probably altria, like when phillp morris wanted to stop being phillip morris

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I miss the windows flag :(

the flag part is ok

the logotype is really dated

still better than skewed cubes

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

iconic

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

if only i had the video of just the buildings without the foreground

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
we need to bring back the ~fancy marble~ skins every office application had back in the 90s

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Necc0 posted:

we need to bring back the ~fancy marble~ skins every office application had back in the 90s

first thing that came to mind

it was legit useful before adblock plus though, just looked horrible

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

gotta get good value from the texture pack he got on a floppy at the mall

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sudo Echo posted:

lol proxomitron

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sudo Echo posted:

this guy died young :(

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

how about an entire os made of marble: http://www.guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/riscos37

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

the 8 bit color is killing me

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

riscos was a loving pro os. for its time.

our school had the acorn risc pc things with 486 cards on. was decent in like 1996.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

good god

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
stick this on a computer in a libary or a museum and you're loving gold

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Thanks Ants posted:

riscos was a loving pro os. for its time.

our school had the acorn risc pc things with 486 cards on. was decent in like 1996.

it was only decent if you lived in the u.k.

everyone else was laughing at you.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

unf yes :fap:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
@tomwarren: Microsoft’s Lumia event starts in 1 hour. Join our live blog right here http://t.co/qB6XPDkS0J http://t.co/d4Qp5KbYpY

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol, who loving cares about lumia phones anymore?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
paul thurott?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

yes! yes!!

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

The Management posted:

@tomwarren: Microsoft’s Lumia event starts in 1 hour. Join our live blog right here http://t.co/qB6XPDkS0J http://t.co/d4Qp5KbYpY

windows 10 phone looks like a jumbled mess

lol cortana just hosed up the time on a reminder

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i remember being in the windows phone seven series phone thread when linux archduke was here and it being the funniest thing but geez you string together something like five or six failed consumer hardware and software launches since then and it starts to seem a lot closer to sad than funny

watching microsoft develop preview and launch a product is like watching someone jump into the water then realize they cant swim and finally drown. its such a drawn out process beginning with naiveté and hubris that when the inevitable finally happens i have more relief that its over than amusement at watching the experience but at no point do i wish it hadnt happened to them

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i dunno drowning is a pretty lovely way to go and i don't really wish that on anybody but congrats on being a raging sociopath i guess?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

i dunno drowning is a pretty lovely way to go and i don't really wish that on anybody but congrats on being a raging sociopath i guess?

lol

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
i don't even want microsoft to fail

windows 7 was and is great, i want more operating systems like that

I'm a dull person with boring keyboard office needs, and ms met those needs

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i just installed windows 8.1 pro on a laptop

now that computer is downloading and applying about 850 MB worth of patches. it's doing them all at once which is nice; i expected to have to do a reboot every 100 MB or so

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

so it looks like microsoft is just throwing a year's worth of office in for everything they sell now

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

so it looks like microsoft is just throwing a year's worth of office in for everything they sell now

that's about how long a windows computer lasts so good on them

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

duTrieux. posted:

now that computer is downloading and applying about 850 MB worth of patches. it's doing them all at once which is nice; i expected to have to do a reboot every 100 MB or so

Don't worry, you'll have to reboot and run WU again repeatedly to be current

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

it was a huge pain more recently when computers would only ship with windows 8.0

- install first wave of updates
- install windows 8.1 via the store
- install 2nd wave of updates so you'd be updated to "Windows 8.1 Update"
- install next wave of updates

• Locked thread