Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I just remembered Wild Arms exists and I've never played any of them. I know 5 is terrible, but whats the best one.

Three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
1 is good in the 2D style
2's translation is on crack. Game's fun though.
3 was my favorite - some other people gonna disagree though.
4 is bad.
5 is the worst.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I just remembered Wild Arms exists and I've never played any of them. I know 5 is terrible, but whats the best one.

3, probably.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
3 for sure, 2 ironically.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RadicalR posted:

I only played 1-3 + ACF, but 3 is definitely my favorite.

I think 1 is a little bit bland, 2 was nuts but it got really long-winded and has such a bad translation that the game is, at one point, almost impossible to complete without a walkthrough or extremely determined trial-and-error.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

XF

admittedly it's the only one i've played

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!
WA5 is the only one I could be bothered to beat, but for the life of me I can't remember anything from it other than it being really long, why was it so bad?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RadicalR posted:

1 is good in the 2D style
2's translation is on crack. Game's fun though.
4 is bad.
5 is the worst.

4 is much worse than 5. Otherwise this is right.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

4 wasn't that good, but I've always cut it some slack for being a weird experimental game. 5 took all of 4's interesting ideas and drove off the cliff with them. It took all of 4's flaws and somehow made them worse. That game is just bad.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Wild Arms 5 is good actually. In terms of gameplay and music, anyway. The plot is terrible, featuring such gems like forgiving genocide because killing people made the people giving the commands feel sad inside, and the true villain being killed offscreen by an NPC about ten seconds after making his first appearance to the heroes, only not played for humor.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

WA3 is good with a guide. because gently caress searching the map for everything. I remember the game telling me to look for some poo poo to the southeast, so I flew my mecha transformer dragon in that direction landing and searching everywhere. Then I pulled out a guide map. I turned out the location was so far southeast it was actually northwest.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

U-DO Burger posted:

Wild Arms 5 is good actually. In terms of gameplay and music, anyway. The plot is terrible, featuring such gems like forgiving genocide because killing people made the people giving the commands feel sad inside, and the true villain being killed offscreen by an NPC about ten seconds after making his first appearance to the heroes, only not played for humor.

No comment about the music, but I thought the gameplay was pretty boring and generic coming from 4.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

No comment about the music, but I thought the gameplay was pretty boring and generic coming from 4.

The gameplay was a fair bit more polished than 4 overall. It fixed a lot of 4's weaker elements although it had its own share of flaws.

I'd rather deal with 5's stupid plot then 4's stupid plot though, if just because the core concept of 4's plot is so loving bad and the ending was borderline offensive in its stupidity. 5 at least was just a dumb mecha show with some stupid stupid fantasy racism. (Not that WA5's ending was much less stupid-depressing.)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The gameplay was a fair bit more polished than 4 overall. It fixed a lot of 4's weaker elements although it had its own share of flaws.

I'd rather deal with 5's stupid plot then 4's stupid plot though, if just because the core concept of 4's plot is so loving bad and the ending was borderline offensive in its stupidity. 5 at least was just a dumb mecha show with some stupid stupid fantasy racism.

I didn't like the way they made everything generic and homogenous. In 4, everything was a gimmick boss because they knew exactly what your party could do, and each of your characters had wildly different roles (Raquel stands out as being the slowest and strongest of any slow/strong character I've ever seen), while in 5 they let you mix up your powers, even creating copies so you could give the same power to all your characters, but the only effect this had was to make so that nothing ever mattered. Instead of gimmick bosses, you have entirely forgettable bosses who I honestly couldn't even begin to describe. The whole thing just becomes this strange interchangeable haze. There was not a single interesting thing in the entire battle system.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

I didn't like the way they made everything generic and homogenous. In 4, everything was a gimmick boss because they knew exactly what your party could do, and each of your characters had wildly different roles (Raquel stands out as being the slowest and strongest of any slow/strong character I've ever seen), while in 5 they let you mix up your powers, even creating copies so you could give the same power to all your characters, but the only effect this had was to make so that nothing ever mattered. Instead of gimmick bosses, you have entirely forgettable bosses who I honestly couldn't even begin to describe. The whole thing just becomes this strange interchangeable haze. There was not a single interesting thing in the entire battle system.

WA5 had a few gimmick bosses. They weren't as overtly gimmicky as WA4's but that is both a positive and negative considering how lovely some of WA4's gimmicks were.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
WA4 still stands out for having a boss who's gimmick is making sure one of your dudes dies on the right hex or they bust out a full field instant death attack. With an anti-tank chainsaw because gently caress it, anime.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
k im gonna give 3 a shot and then do 2 as a chaser cuz that sounds like the right shade of dumb.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Mr. Maltose posted:

WA4 still stands out for having a boss who's gimmick is making sure one of your dudes dies on the right hex or they bust out a full field instant death attack. With an anti-tank chainsaw because gently caress it, anime.

What. How does this even work?

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
anti-tank chainsaw huh. That's pretty loving stupid and now i'm gonna play 4.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm sure that there's other ways to counter it, but the dude has a chainsaw that is INSTANT DEATH. WA4 has a battlefield of 7 hexes, and he can hit various parts of the hex field. If he enters the center hex he unleashes the FULL MOON attack that hits all six hexes around him. So if you just park one of your dudes on the mid hex and let them die, they can never enter the center hex and wipe out the entire team.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RadicalR posted:

What. How does this even work?

The boss does max damage with all his attacks (anti-tank chainsaw). If you let him stand in the center of the map then he just swings in a circle and kills everyone.

Having bosses that either kill you instantly or are completely invincible is the main thematic thing in the game. It's supposed to make you feel like a bunch of kids in over your heads.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I stopped playing WA4 at the 'hold my hand' scene.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If you deign to play WA1, make sure to change the camera angle in battles. If you turn off the cinematic style (or whatever it's called) rounds of battle go faster and you don't get closeups of early terrible PS1 3D.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This cutscene is all I know about WA4 and if I play it I feel like nothing in the game will top it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9KFOJzn3u4

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

This cutscene is all I know about WA4 and if I play it I feel like nothing in the game will top it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9KFOJzn3u4

what the hell, apparently this game is bad?

because this owns

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
WA4 has you kill a deluded not-vampire by throwing a helicopter into him, then his actual-vampire girlfriend goes nuts and fights you in the SHADOW ZONE.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
all of these words are suggesting that Wild Arms 4 is actually the best JRPG and not dissuading me from Marathoning it over this weekend.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

all of these words are suggesting that Wild Arms 4 is actually the best JRPG and not dissuading me from Marathoning it over this weekend.

yeah same

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

what the hell, apparently this game is bad?

because this owns

If the entire game were that ridiculous it would own, but this scene and like one other are the exception, not the rule.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah for every dude with an anti-tank chainsaw or Not-Vampire with Secret Vampire Girlfriend there are hours of stupid and stupidly bland JRPG.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
Why Japan :wtf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEz2Jjrjvl4 :nws:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Old news mate.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Looks like someone here doesn't read the Vita thread, the best thread in Games.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Bring on that Idol JRPG for the ps4.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
While I'm one of those dudes that liked WA4 and 5 unironically, I can recognize that most of the things I'd want to argue about are losing battles -- that said, if any of you try to say that Raquelle isn't one of the coolest female characters in an RPG, I just don't know what to tell you but that you're wrong :colbert:.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Count me in for someone who actually preferred WA 4 over 5. For all of 4's flaws, it was a pretty short JRPG all things considered which normally should be a negative but I found the game didn't overstay it's welcome because of it and I didn't mind the platformer style gameplay in dungeons and the overworld either. The Hex battle system was fun and stupidly broken thanks to Racquel and while the main plot sucked, at least it had some entertaining batshit scenes sprinkled throughout that redeemed it somewhat.

5 on the other hand is just hours of "SEARCHING! LETS TAKE A LOOKSIE!" from a protagonist that managed to be worse than the one from 4 as he runs around the blandest overworld in the series, talks about racism walls that must be broken down when one side of the aggressors are literal Nazis and probably can never be reasoned with and the game ends with a complete wet fart of an ending that involves a stable timeloop, making the entire game feel completely pointless and somehow managed to be worse than the ending to 4.

Neither are good games, but at least 4 is kind of entertaining.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Golden Battler posted:

While I'm one of those dudes that liked WA4 and 5 unironically, I can recognize that most of the things I'd want to argue about are losing battles -- that said, if any of you try to say that Raquelle isn't one of the coolest female characters in an RPG, I just don't know what to tell you but that you're wrong :colbert:.

Raquelle loving rules, even before being the statistical best character. So many Move & Attack executions..

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
WA4 is the one that keeps going "CHILDREN GOOD ADULTS BAD" right?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Out in one month. The saviour of the PS4 clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Ibram Gaunt posted:

can you date the idols