Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Jokes going to be on everyone calling formidable a win-more mechanic when it's incredibly easy to activate and 45% of the time it's active you're not even winning because every board in every matchup in standard looks like GW devotion mirrors. Yeah, everyone will sure look dumb then (especially WotC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. Between Roast, Ultimate Price coming back, and now enemy hate-sacking, W/u heroic is probably dead.

I don't think Ultimate Price will see much play in maindecks and you're going to have to choose between it and self-inflicted wound for SB slots so I don't think these cards will be played all that much. It's not like WU is a T1 deck that everyone has to SB for now...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Spiderdrake posted:

Would you step the rhetoric down a notch? The point is it's easy to misread these cards, not a point about evaluation.

Let's back up here: perhaps I'm not understanding your underlying argument here.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Would you step the rhetoric down a notch? The point is it's easy to misread these cards, not a point about evaluation.

Okay that's cool, but we were talking about our evaluation of the card so can you not see where he thought that was part of your opinion about it?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

This doesn't actually seem that amazing. It's Counterspell when you have your Ojutai in your hand and a really bad Force Spike every other time.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Short of them reprinting Force Spike in Standard, I don't get the rush to compare the two cards.

Angry Grimace posted:

People tap out sure, but control decks are heavily biased towards consistency and this card is the poster-child for inconsistency. 1 or 2 Dragons is not enough to reliably turn on the part of this card that makes it any good.

I totally understand, and I reiterate that it's why I only think it will see play in singletons.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mcmagic posted:

I don't think Ultimate Price will see much play in maindecks and you're going to have to choose between it and self-inflicted wound for SB slots so I don't think these cards will be played all that much. It's not like WU is a T1 deck that everyone has to SB for now...

People will maindeck Ultimate Price. Every deck has relevant threats that it can kill. Even the most multi-colored deck in the format, Abzan, has Tasigur, Courser, Wingmate Roc. And you can just side it out for that match. I'd say 2 mainboard, 2 sideboard for most black decks. It may even replace Bile Blight entirely unless token decks resurge for some reason.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AlternateNu posted:

People will maindeck Ultimate Price. Every deck has relevant threats that it can kill. Even the most multi-colored deck in the format, Abzan, has Tasigur, Courser, Wingmate Roc.

I think most decks that have access to white (which is basically every deck playing black except UB control) will prefer Valorous stance. It kills all of those plus Siege Rhino, Butcher, and Anafenza. Though Ultimate price does kill Rabblemaster before it can make a token when you're on the draw, so it has that going for it.

It seems like the way they're going with removal in standard is that if you want to remove something for less than 3 mana, you have to choose which restricted subset of things you can hit. I'd be surprised if we get any unconditional removal for 2 or less in the near future, even Pacifism.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 9, 2015

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Entropic posted:

This doesn't actually seem that amazing. It's Counterspell when you have your Ojutai in your hand and a really bad Force Spike every other time.
I agree with you that it doesn't seem that amazing, but you're missing half of it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

That hate cycle is awesome but Wizards bros where are the rebound cards.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That hate cycle is awesome but Wizards bros where are the rebound cards.

Yeah, let's see the draft commons dammit.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

Let's back up here: perhaps I'm not understanding your underlying argument here.
What underlying argument? My evaluation of the card is right underneath the sentence you jumped on.

My point was it's easy to misread these cards because they don't flow very well. Silumgar is an example because he is currently the only dragon seeing play in control.

Ultima66 posted:

Jokes going to be on everyone calling formidable a win-more mechanic when it's
you understand that almost every winmore card is generally good on a stalled board and it's a baked in assumption to the term, right?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Angry Grimace posted:

If your hexproof Silumgar is in play, you already won the game.

LSV just posted a video where he beat hexproof Silumgar multiple times. With a tokens deck. Admittedly, that's LSV, but still.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

At least her official flavor text is less torture-y.

It also doesn't have the grammatical error in the direct translation someone posted (which was probably a difference in grammar between languages) so I appreciate that they seem to try to do legit translations and not just slap some poo poo in a translator.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Spiderdrake posted:

What underlying argument? My evaluation of the card is right underneath the sentence you jumped on.

My point was it's easy to misread these cards because they don't flow very well. Silumgar is an example because he is currently the only dragon seeing play in control.
you understand that almost every winmore card is generally good on a stalled board and it's a baked in assumption to the term, right?

Its just such a removal heavy format that you don't see stalled boards all tha-

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

Its just such a removal heavy format that you don't see stalled boards all tha-

:lol: Really? The Silumgar comment was pretty good but this is something else.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

...I just realized that in FRF there are no enemy colored cards with their clan keyword (white cards with Dash, for example). In retrospect DTK being about ally colors seems obvious.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Swagger Dagger posted:

If all of the "dragons matter" spells were tribal, that dragon counter might be good.

:agreed:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

What's w/ all these Formidable references to Onslaught cards? (Dragon Roost spit out 5/5s)

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Rinkles posted:

What's w/ all these Formidable references to Onslaught cards? (Dragon Roost spit out 5/5s)

Wow a card that makes dragons, in the dragon set, what's the deal with that

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Spiderdrake posted:

The joke is that formidable will actually be an incredibly powerful and nearly unconditional mechanic because WotC wants all of standard to look like this:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

Jokes going to be on everyone calling formidable a win-more mechanic when it's incredibly easy to activate and 45% of the time it's active you're not even winning because every board in every matchup in standard looks like GW devotion mirrors. Yeah, everyone will sure look dumb then (especially WotC).

You'll be the king of the forums when everyone sees how truly great your prediction is

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I think I am understanding the formidable hate... it is not that the mechanic is weak or bad, or that cards with formidable abilities might as well not have abilities, it is just that those cards are boring in the strategy. Getting a 3 mana 8/6 from your 8 1/1s is cool, but Seraph of the masses already does that in a more interesting way that inspires deckbuilding.

Formidable is basically Wurmcoil engine with a color restriction?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

bhsman posted:

Short of them reprinting Force Spike in Standard, I don't get the rush to compare the two cards.

People are comparing them because force spike would be pretty underwhelming in this environment full of midrange haymakers and this card is worse. On turn two you'd rather be holding up Ultimate Price, it guarantees that you'll be holding a dead card in the midgame, and in the lategame the mana savings isn't particularly relevant.

It's not like people will even go out of their way to play around it unless it doesn't cost them meaningfully to do so, since even if they run straight into it you're no better off then if you'd just put a better card in your deck in the first place.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Ultima66 posted:

The joke is that formidable will actually be an incredibly powerful and nearly unconditional mechanic because WotC wants all of standard to look like this:

Doesn't that look like fun, though?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

This is Ma-

Oh whatever, you know the rest

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I like the Formidable dude. It's playable without that ability, which is just gravy, and it's going to turn on and do some work more than once in a blue moon.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Assuming you see 27 cards (seven starting hand, six draw steps, and two Dig Through Times) by turn six, your Silumgar's Scorn will be online 55% of the time if you run one dragon or 70% of the time if you run two.

Seems like too much work instead of just running Dissolve.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Somebody in R&D loves Cauldron Dance as much as I do. :allears: This guy is such an rear end, and his buddy cop movie with Boneshredder will be an instant classic.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I actually like how that formidable is designed, even if the card itself is not good in the abstract that kind of ability is neat in a sprout swarm way.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Guys I don't think you've realized the synergies between Silumgar's Scorn, Mutavault, and Nameless Inversion.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

People will maindeck Ultimate Price. Every deck has relevant threats that it can kill. Even the most multi-colored deck in the format, Abzan, has Tasigur, Courser, Wingmate Roc. And you can just side it out for that match. I'd say 2 mainboard, 2 sideboard for most black decks. It may even replace Bile Blight entirely unless token decks resurge for some reason.

I don't think so. You can't have an Ultimate Price in your hand when they play a Siege Rhino.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
LGS got their Dragonfury board in the post and the whole thing's surprisingly fun for what amounts to a cheap sideshow game. I hope it becomes popular because more silly rear end games like that would make Pre-Releases so much more fun.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Sampatrick posted:

Guys I don't think you've realized the synergies between Silumgar's Scorn, Mutavault, and Nameless Inversion.

So, Slum's UU turns into 1UU in modern (not good), or you have to have NI in your hand (not played).

Nooooooope

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bhsman posted:

:lol: Really? The Silumgar comment was pretty good but this is something else.

Silumgar comment?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
It's obviously an object lesson in how inefficient and pointless a feeling scorn is.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Attorney at Funk posted:

It's obviously an object lesson in how inefficient and pointless a feeling scorn is.
Unless you're a dragon, then it's more powerful than Modern is allowed!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I don't think so. You can't have an Ultimate Price in your hand when they play a Siege Rhino.

TIL there are no monocolored cards in the decks w/ siege rhino

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zoness posted:

TIL there are no monocolored cards in the decks w/ siege rhino

You can't have a removal spell in your main that only hits half their relevant threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

You can't have a removal spell in your main that only hits half their relevant threats.

Bile blight?

• Locked thread