Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

morestuff posted:

Was talking about this movie in another thread, and wanted to share the poster:

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Smae here, and It's been on my "Should rewatch that" list for some time.

Alternative posters:

Such good posters for such a poo poo movie.
Seriously even King acknowledged that the movies were closer to comedy than horror, and the scene depicted in the last poster was pretty much a pure slapstick scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Insurgent IMAX poster

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That last Silver Bullet poster is loving great. It's too bad the movie is nothing whatsoever like that.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Insurgent IMAX poster

That looks like loving Reboot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I wish it looked like Reboot, instead it's just another thing about paramilitarized teenagers.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It looks like they time traveled to 1998 and found a 14 year old "artist" who is all "Check it out, dudeZ! I just a got a copy of Lightwave 3D off Usenet and I've been messing around with it. Pretty cool, eh!"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So what's the deal with the flying houses in that Insurgent trailer? I didn't see the first film, but I was under the impression it was a Hunger Games knock-off instead of Harry Potter/X-Men or whatever. Is there magic/psychic powers in that series or was that supposed to be going on in her head?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think that poster is pretty cool. I still sure as hell won't see the movie but it's a neat poster.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lotish posted:

So what's the deal with the flying houses in that Insurgent trailer? I didn't see the first film, but I was under the impression it was a Hunger Games knock-off instead of Harry Potter/X-Men or whatever. Is there magic/psychic powers in that series or was that supposed to be going on in her head?

Without getting too much into the stupidity behind it, it's basically a VR drug induced trip where you face your fears or something and based on how you solve/overcome the fear you're dumped into whatever group the society divided itself. Why she's going through it again I have no loving clue. In the first movie/book it actually was a relatively big part of the story but aside from blowing your VFX budget I have no loving clue why the story needs to go back to it.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 11, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ah, okay, I thought the Matrix had become real or something. Thanks.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The perspective on this is probably completely hosed but I like it.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Mister Chief posted:

The perspective on this is probably completely hosed but I like it.

I wonder whose fault that is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sheldrake posted:

Our star's.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Sheldrake posted:

Andy Richter?

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
A (sick) local band is doing a live soundtrack for Alien on 4/20, here's how they're promoting it:

I like it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to go to that.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Why do people put work into making posters anyway, turns out there's already all kinds of art on the Internet

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

morestuff posted:

Was talking about this movie in another thread, and wanted to share the poster:

I have never seen this movie, does it really feature a werewolf attacking a disabled kid with a baseball bat?

Because I would watch that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Erebus posted:

Why do people put work into making posters anyway, turns out there's already all kinds of art on the Internet

Rapoza is so freaking good, ive been following him ever since I bought the 4 ninja turtles he did. He rarely does prints tho, I think the last one was some Power Rangers stuff. :(

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Gorilla Salad posted:

I have never seen this movie, does it really feature a werewolf attacking a disabled kid with a baseball bat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p6bRqBJZzI

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

axleblaze posted:

I think that poster is pretty cool. I still sure as hell won't see the movie but it's a neat poster.

Same, it stands out from other posters, and I really like the composition. It works really well in insuring the guy falling stands out, whilst he is also absolutely dwafted in size by his surroundings.

Good way of showing the David vs Goliath type feel a 'were fighting against a giant all encompassing system' movie should want.

but yeah, first movie in the series looked more than a bit rubbish, so still going to skip this one.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gorilla Salad posted:

quote:

And then Uncle Red (Gary Busey) gives the kid a great present. A customized, souped-up, hot rod wheelchair named the Silver Bullet (it kills werewolves--get it?). The kid takes off at sixty miles per hour, doing wheelies down the highway, and eventually the movie treats us to the extraordinary sight of the local clergyman in his car, trying to run down the kid in the hot rod wheelchair. This is not an image the movies have previously offered us.
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/silver-bullet-1985

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Same, it stands out from other posters, and I really like the composition. It works really well in insuring the guy falling stands out, whilst he is also absolutely dwafted in size by his surroundings.

Good way of showing the David vs Goliath type feel a 'were fighting against a giant all encompassing system' movie should want.

but yeah, first movie in the series looked more than a bit rubbish, so still going to skip this one.

It's a bit heavy handed in that the negative space forms both a hypodermic needle and a cross.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Naw, that's the part that's cool.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Erebus posted:

Jeez, regardless of it being fan-art or not that's still a pretty big copyright violation, isn't it? He seems to be playing it off like it's just a "oh well" thing but unless he gave them license to use it or signed some contract giving his work over the company in charge of making that boxart would be in deep poo poo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's some company in Sweden he said and to fight it would be too much of a hassle. Kinda lovely.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh poo poo is that Warner Home Video?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

I, Butthole posted:

Jeez, regardless of it being fan-art or not that's still a pretty big copyright violation, isn't it? He seems to be playing it off like it's just a "oh well" thing but unless he gave them license to use it or signed some contract giving his work over the company in charge of making that boxart would be in deep poo poo.

Deep poo poo meaning "Oh snap, we're sorry. Here's $5000, please go away now." Then he declines, takes them to court, and ends up owing $20,000 in legal fees after a settlement for $2000.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

A (sick) local band is doing a live soundtrack for Alien on 4/20, here's how they're promoting it:

I like it.

nice. what city?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

I, Butthole posted:

Fanart is itself copyright violation, he has about as much to stand on as the warez groups whose no-CD cracks were "stolen" by the developers for digital re-releases.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I, Butthole posted:

Same thing happened to some guy who did a poster for Spike Lee's Oldboy, where the ad agency working on the film lowballed him, he decided not to sell the work to them, so they just stole it anyway. He complained to Spike Lee on Twitter who proceeded to go off on the guy.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Fanart is itself copyright violation, he has about as much to stand on as the warez groups whose no-CD cracks were "stolen" by the developers for digital re-releases.

Yeah, he has rights, but trying to enforce them is begging for a counter-suit for the initial violation.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I don't believe it's copyright violation on his part unless he stands to profit from it?

I build garage-kit models in my spare time, and that hobby is obviously rife with copyright violation. The funny thing is, people in the kit industry will complain up and down about other people recasting their works because it deprives they, the creator, from making a profit. Which I agree with, as they should stand to profit from their labour. But sculpting and then selling kits of a character some other company or individual owns the rights to? Oh, well, that's completely different. That's fine, ahem *cough*, just fine. Many of the sculptors of unlicensed properties go to silly lengths to "conceal" or protect their works. They'll sculpt something like Wolverine, but then title their kit "Mutant Rage!", or sculpt a Predator and call it "The Alien Hunter". It's doubly silly too since despite all this, there have been very few lawsuits from copyright holders. It's such a small industry (most sculptors might sell 30 castings of a work) that it's obviously not worth the copyright holders time or money to bother. Still, sometimes on a sculpting forum someones posts their own "The Alien Hunter", and when someone posts "Wow, that's a nice Predator!", sometimes people respond with "What? That's not a Predator. It's an Alien Hunter. GET IT, an Alien Hunter!"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't believe it's copyright violation on his part unless he stands to profit from it?

It doesn't matter whether or not you make a profit on if it's a violation. Most companies just ignore people that aren't making money off it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Improbable Lobster posted:

It doesn't matter whether or not you make a profit on if it's a violation. Most companies just ignore people that aren't making money off it.

If this actually true, then copyright can go gently caress itself in the rear end forever.

I drewed a pitcher. VIOLATION!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Still, sometimes on a sculpting forum someones posts their own "The Alien Hunter", and when someone posts "Wow, that's a nice Predator!", sometimes people respond with "What? That's not a Predator. It's an Alien Hunter. GET IT, an Alien Hunter!"

Can you recommend any good sculpting forums? I've not got the time or ability to take up the hobby but I've always been fascinated by it and other people's creations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ooooookay.

Very confused now, but definitely going to check it out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If this actually true, then copyright can go gently caress itself in the rear end forever.

I drewed a pitcher. VIOLATION!

Copyright law is really terrible in many ways

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

PriorMarcus posted:

Can you recommend any good sculpting forums? I've not got the time or ability to take up the hobby but I've always been fascinated by it and other people's creations.

The primary one I go to is The Clubhouse. It's probably the most popular one out there for the garage kit industry. Lots of subforums for works in progress, sculpting and painting technique, and finished work galleries, etc.

You might also want to check out The Replica Prop Forum. That ones more focuses on recreating famous movie props and models. Lots of cool, and expensive, stuff there. You can find almost anything, from Alien Pulse Rifles, to Indiana Jones Fertility Idols, all the way down to replicas of Rick Deckards wallet and all the associated badges, inserts, cred-slips, and ID's that go along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.