Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

InfiniteZero posted:

It got weird. Sorry. Those are all great under the radar films though in my opinion at least. Long time posters in this thread will be shocked at my restraint in not recommending a certain film with Warren Oates and Peter Fonda in it.

Is it Race With The Devil? I hope it's Race With The Devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Such a great 70's road/Satan worshippers flick...

Anyway, I was hoping this thread could help me identify two horror movies. One is more of a "horror short film" and the other might have just been a fever dream I had when I was young.

The "fever dream" one I remember had a scene that had that 70's/early 80's film look. A fat farmer in a red shirt and blue overalls is driving down the road, and a young woman darts across. He hits her, and he either comes to a stop and looks back at her before driving off, or he keeps driving while freaking out and somehow hits the same woman AGAIN a bit later. Panicking, he darts out of the truck and runs into a nearby river. In the middle of the river, as he's catching his breath, a bunch of hands come out of the water and drag him under. Like I said, it's a scene I remember very vividly to this day, but I don't remember if I saw it a movie or a fever dream...

The second one was a short film I was on HBO or Cinemax, when they used to show them between feature lengths movies (ala "Recorded Live"). This dick of a FedEx driver drives into a small town, drops off a package, and can't find the way out again. He pulls up to a cafe and asks this old man for directions, but the old man keeps giving him the same (wrong) directions while continually offering him coffee. The driver eventually drives off, and we keep seeing him going up and coming back along the same fork in the road. Finally, he comes back to the cafe and the townspeople flood out to surround the truck, led by the old man holding a pot of coffee. The next-to-last scene is the driver at the lunch counter in the cafe, dejected, sipping a cup of coffee, and the last shot is the "Town Name, Popluation (Number)" going up by one.

I know this one exists because I found it on the Internet back in the early 00's, but I can't find it again for the life of me.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

InfiniteZero posted:

Messiah of Evil - a movie I constantly pimp. It's amazing. Just watch this movie theatre sequence. The only setup you need is that something odd is going on with the town this person is at. The whole movie is like this and is just a fantastic horror film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2ayfmkeJGc

This is probably top 20 horror movies caliber for me.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

CobiWann posted:

The second one was a short film I was on HBO or Cinemax, when they used to show them between feature lengths movies (ala "Recorded Live"). This dick of a FedEx driver drives into a small town, drops off a package, and can't find the way out again. He pulls up to a cafe and asks this old man for directions, but the old man keeps giving him the same (wrong) directions while continually offering him coffee. The driver eventually drives off, and we keep seeing him going up and coming back along the same fork in the road. Finally, he comes back to the cafe and the townspeople flood out to surround the truck, led by the old man holding a pot of coffee. The next-to-last scene is the driver at the lunch counter in the cafe, dejected, sipping a cup of coffee, and the last shot is the "Town Name, Popluation (Number)" going up by one.

I know this one exists because I found it on the Internet back in the early 00's, but I can't find it again for the life of me.

this is the plot of some episode of a horror anthology series i cant remember (idk if its a fedex driver but dude keeps driving through the same town and eventually gives up). i thought it was tales from the darkside but checked wikipedia and nope. maybe twilight zone or tales from the crypt?

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

Skyscraper posted:

These are my thoughts exactly.

I actually reserved some vacation time off from work to see this movie, and so I'm really kind of disappointed to find out that I'd have to drive for 5-6 hours to see it tomorrow.

Ouch. That's quite the distance to go see a movie.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Of course, I never shut the gently caress up about that movie. I have a burning love for it. If I die tonight my friends will probably put a copy of it in my casket.

"I dunno ... an orgy maybe?"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Profondo Rosso posted:

this is the plot of some episode of a horror anthology series i cant remember (idk if its a fedex driver but dude keeps driving through the same town and eventually gives up). i thought it was tales from the darkside but checked wikipedia and nope. maybe twilight zone or tales from the crypt?

You're right! Plugging that into Google...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83zkzgm63r0

A horror anthology from 1986 hosted by...Vincent Price. The segment in question is called "Coffee Break!"

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

InfiniteZero posted:

Of course, I never shut the gently caress up about that movie. I have a burning love for it. If I die tonight my friends will probably put a copy of it in my casket.

"I dunno ... an orgy maybe?"

Race With The Devil rules. It's stupid and goofy, but I love it so much. How can I dislike a movie where Peter Fonda whips a snake around the inside of an RV?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Race With The Devil rules.

Between RACE WITH THE DEVIL and STRIPES, I think it would be fair to say that Warren Oates made the coolest movies featuring a Winnebago(*).

As if I needed more reasons to love that guy.

(*) Damnation Alley doesn't count because that's not really a Winnebago so Oates still wins.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

xzoto1 posted:

Ouch. That's quite the distance to go see a movie.

I drove three hours to go see Catfish with a friend based on the trailer because I thought it was going to be a horror movie. We both agreed not to read anymore about it so it would be a surprise. Being young with extra money was not always awesome.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

La Comunidad is like if polanski directed a hitchcock inspired black comedy. Maybe not quite as good as the apartment trilogy but close. Checked it out because I loved Day of the Beast and it did not disappoint. A bit more restrained than day of the beast but what movie isn't

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Have we talked about Pieces of Talent yet? Holy poo poo this movie blew me the gently caress away. Gorgeous cinematography, great plot, quality acting and some decent gore to boot. What did you guys think of it? I had a blast with it.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Took me awhile to catch up with this thread.

You guys talking about great 2000's horror films are forgetting [REC] and [REC2], some of the greatest FF films ever, and some of the best Spanish horror films of all time.

Just watched Pyramid, and while it's no As Above So Below, it's an okay horror flick. It breaks kayfaybe rather early on - this isn't strictly an FF film for long - and it breaks that convention much sooner than Into the Storm, so it wasn't terribly jarring for me. Some neat stuff happens in this one, but the monsters are a slight step above SyFy level and it really detracts from the film. Just chiming in to say that it isn't completely terrible, it's just mediocre and a bit shallow.

Anybody who saw Noroi, Occult, and other Shiraishi films...it's not good, but just watch Shirome on the sheer concept alone. It's bad and exploitative as gently caress, but the concept of a schoolgirl idol group being unknowingly forced to go into a manufactured haunted house that psychs itself up through its motivational songs is weirdly endearing.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 13, 2015

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!
Whenever I see the title of It Follows, I imagine a movie in which the ghost of Aristotle tags along with the protagonists and tries to figure the poo poo that's happening out.

Now I want to see that movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Shirome is straight up about the exploitation of the girl band. The stray into supernatural folklore is a preferable and welcome fiction.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The subtext probably works better in Japan. The idol girl manufacturing machine is wicked scary.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
So its that day again.

I'm going to pick one Friday the 13th sequel to watch in honor of the day, its a tough decision though.

I could go 3 because it has the hockey mask and its pretty decent overall. But I think my favorite Friday sequel is Part 6(Jason Lives), because zombie-hulk Jason is what I grew up with and I just love the tone of the whole movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

The subtext probably works better in Japan. The idol girl manufacturing machine is wicked scary.

It totally does, but you just need a little background. If they made a similar movie about the next Disney girl or whatever, you'd get the point. Shiraishi being in the film as the cameraman, Koji Shiraishi, kind of tips the whole thing. This is reality. The act that you see that these girls are so drilled in is not acting, or at least it's not rehearsed just for a movie. The demon butterfly or whatever is a relief!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

Have we talked about Pieces of Talent yet? Holy poo poo this movie blew me the gently caress away. Gorgeous cinematography, great plot, quality acting and some decent gore to boot. What did you guys think of it? I had a blast with it.

I liked it a lot, definitely a cut above the usual independent/low-budget horror. I really liked the scene where the camera guy he is "auditioning" is filming in the barn, gets spooked by the body on the ground, drops the camera and just bolts the gently caress out of there. Only once the camera comes to a rest on the ground do we really see the body. It felt really natural, obviously in reality the camera guy would notice it before it came into the frame, but most films would have the camera linger on it first as if the POV of the camera was exactly the same as the POV of the guy operating it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It totally does, but you just need a little background.

Ayup. It's worth looking into whether you've see Shirome or not. It's a hosed up meat grinder.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Basebf555 posted:

So its that day again.

I'm going to pick one Friday the 13th sequel to watch in honor of the day, its a tough decision though.

I could go 3 because it has the hockey mask and its pretty decent overall. But I think my favorite Friday sequel is Part 6(Jason Lives), because zombie-hulk Jason is what I grew up with and I just love the tone of the whole movie.

I know it's kind of looked down on but I quite enjoy Part 5 myself and it's my go to Friday movie for background noise.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

Ayup. It's worth looking into whether you've see Shirome or not. It's a hosed up meat grinder.

I wanted to look up what I thought about Shirome when I saw it, so here it is. I like it even better than when I originally saw it.

I don't really know what to say about Shirome, but the part where Momoiro Clover performs for the dark spirit in an abandoned schoolhouse might be the creepiest dance sequence since The Locomotion in INLAND EMPIRE.

The idea is so obvious as to be trite: purely for the shot at greater fame, a bunch of teenage girls aged 14-17 are asked to offer themselves to a dark spirit which they accept as a duty. Like every other Shiraishi movie, it would be better without SFX. This plays so much better when they are surrounded by men; their fanbase at their concerts exists primarily of men, their handlers are primarily men who micromanage their lives to the point where they play up their cuteness as though they're drilled in it. The girls themselves are the creepiest thing about the film, they are a real group, meaning that they are real girls, pretending to be innocent, spontaneous youngsters on stage, obeying without input. All of their protests are in good cheer.

Even though they've been pranked, the real joke is that they are nevertheless hollowed out and possessed by a dark force. Their lives are no longer their own, but this happened with or without a token offering to a demon. Making it even funnier is that this particular group is one of the most wildly successful idol groups currently.

I dunno, I really liked it. Very seedy and detective magazine-y. I want to see the one he did that's a take on Man Bites Dog, next.

That's rad, by the way. I've never been an actor, but I know what listening to my voicemail message sounds like and then having the reaction of shutting it off halfway, mortified by how nerdy I sound. I can't imagine what it's like to be a teenager, playing a character who is playing a character in a movie which is supposed to be yourself being so overwhelmed by the pressure of keeping up an act to the point where you have a seizure.

Again, really simple and obvious idea, but the concept of pop idols (and specifically these virginal girl groups) seen from the outside is already so absurd it seems difficult to make fun of. The shaved head scandal and the recent fan event saw attack were on my mind recently watching this. Real seedy nightmare society stuff, the fun is all in deciding what makes your skin crawl more, the insanely regimented cuteness or the kind of culture that deems it desirable and rewards it with success.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The shaved head scandal is EXACTLY what I was thinking of when I posted about how hosed up that poo poo is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What's great is that it's come with a IRL postscript where everyone laughs about it and thinks of it as a joke - just like the hosed up prank show that Momoiro Clover participates in. Ritual humiliation is part of what enforces their helplessness and "innocence".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 13, 2015

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
Is it White that's also about an idol group, but in South Korea? That one was really interesting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
White: Melody of the Curse, yeah. I don't recall it being any good but it's been years so I should take a look again.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Isn't Suicide Club vaguely about a fictional idol group as well? Its been a while since I've seen it.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

weekly font posted:

Isn't Suicide Club vaguely about a fictional idol group as well? Its been a while since I've seen it.

Is Suicide Club any good? I always see it on Netflix but never actually watched it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

trip9 posted:

Is Suicide Club any good? I always see it on Netflix but never actually watched it.

It has some setpieces that will stick with you but I can't remember much about it overall. Probably worth the watch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Opening scene and that's about it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Opening scene and that's about it.

That and cooking dinner.

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.

trip9 posted:

It's really David Lynch-y and weird, I loved it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've been on some sort of - dunno, weird body horror kinda kick lately? I've watched through the V/H/S series, the ABCs of death 1 and 2, and Antiviral - all movies I really dug.
Just finished up watching You're Next, and it was good but not really scratching that same itch.
Anything more kinda humorous and grotesque you guys would recommend?

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I've been on some sort of - dunno, weird body horror kinda kick lately? I've watched through the V/H/S series, the ABCs of death 1 and 2, and Antiviral - all movies I really dug.
Just finished up watching You're Next, and it was good but not really scratching that same itch.

If you liked Antiviral and want something a little lighter in that general vein (no pun intended), try the Japanese film Infection. I wouldn't call it exactly humorous, but the body horror and medical grossness gets rather delightfully silly at points.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Slither is alright.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

If you watch Suicide Club and like it check out the "sequel" Norikos Dinner Table. It's not really a horror movie and the tone is quite different but it's real fuckin good. Then if you like that watch every Sono movie because he is the best/most interesting modern Japanese director (sorry Miike!)

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
Finally got to see What We Do in the Shadows, and I liked it. I think it could have been something really special if they had done more with the tragic and horrific aspects, but it was just a decent comedy. I really appreciate that they wrote some really good, clever gags and avoided making too many overt references and having homage stand in as comedy. Still, it was good and I love seeing filmmakers embrace the wacky rather than trying to subvert it too much.

Is Sion's Hair Extensions worth a watch? I LOVED Why Don't You Play in Hell and I'm in the middle of watching as many Miike film as I have access to, but that's one I'd like to try to see soon too.

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011

Excision might do it for you.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Speed Crazy posted:

Is Sion's Hair Extensions worth a watch? I LOVED Why Don't You Play in Hell and I'm in the middle of watching as many Miike film as I have access to, but that's one I'd like to try to see soon too.

I would definitely say yes. Just go in knowing that it's a parody of j-horror (the premise is killer hair, come on). However it genuinely has some really creepy moments and the most disturbing body horror involving hair I've seen. If you've seen a lot of j horror you'll probably find it pretty funny too. It's one of his weaker movies though, likely because it's one of his most "main stream". Cold Fish is closer to something Miike would direct and probably a better film. Besides Love Exposure I'm not sure any of his movies are as great as WDYPIH but that's not really saying much.

Also not horror at all but anyone who describes themselves as someone that "likes movies" should see love exposure.

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Profondo Rosso posted:

If you watch Suicide Club and like it check out the "sequel" Norikos Dinner Table. It's not really a horror movie and the tone is quite different but it's real fuckin good. Then if you like that watch every Sono movie because he is the best/most interesting modern Japanese director (sorry Miike!)

Quoting this for dropping serious truth-bombs-- "Why Don't You Play In Hell?" was the best thing I saw at the Seattle International Film Festival last year. The middle act drags a bit, but the last third more than makes up for it. gently caress BOMBERS!