Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
...I don't know, but now I want a Fiasco Planescape Factions playset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Reign. Actually, some unholy fusion of Reign's faction rules and A Dirty World/Better Angels personality-centric spin on ORE.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Cortex+ should be easily hackable to something Reigny, treating factions basically like Hacker's Guide/Firefly treats vehicles. Mix with Smallville/Drama variant of the system.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I had a go at hacking Fate for Planescape a while back.

http://www.certain-death.com/fatescape.pdf

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

potatocubed posted:

I had a go at hacking Fate for Planescape a while back.

http://www.certain-death.com/fatescape.pdf

Not that I think WotC would care, but I don't think including the OGL does anything here: the hack deals with intellectually properties that are not made public by the OGL.

(It's on page 2 if anyone is wondering why I'm saying this.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

unseenlibrarian posted:

...I don't know, but now I want a Fiasco Planescape Factions playset.

That would be so perfect.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Covok posted:

Not that I think WotC would care, but I don't think including the OGL does anything here: the hack deals with intellectually properties that are not made public by the OGL.

(It's on page 2 if anyone is wondering why I'm saying this.)

Oh, the OGL is a holdover from the first version of Fatescape I wrote, which used the Spirit of the Century rules, which as I recall required that OGL. You're right about it doing nothing now, since Planescape isn't Open and Fate Core uses a different system (I think). Oops.

But the Indesign files vanished in a hard drive crash earlier this year, so it's stuck for now. v:v:v

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

potatocubed posted:

Oh, the OGL is a holdover from the first version of Fatescape I wrote, which used the Spirit of the Century rules, which as I recall required that OGL. You're right about it doing nothing now, since Planescape isn't Open and Fate Core uses a different system (I think). Oops.

But the Indesign files vanished in a hard drive crash earlier this year, so it's stuck for now. v:v:v

Fate Core is Creative Commons now, I think.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

You can actually choose between one or the other now.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Were I to run interplanar politics I'd probably use some variation of FATE as well: like, Planescape's metaphysics fit perfectly with FATE as a system (you live according to your beliefs, you get narrative currency, which you can then use to add details into the environment that match with your beliefs).

You can give planes aspects which characters can use to their advantage while on said planes, and once your characters become actual movers and shakers in the multiverse you can even do stories like "slowly alter the beliefs of the townspeople to get their town to drift from one plane to another" and the game's actually go rules straight out of the box to support that kind of play.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Burning Wheel would be really good for Planescape if only someone were willing to write the thousands of lifepaths and dozens of emotional attributes you'd need.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
An IRL friend is running Pathfinder (no wait come back) and is distilling it down to its essence: party of 17th-level casters. As someone who played the game all of once as a low level rogue, could I feasibly create a fun character using only the SRD? Someone is playing an arcanist wizard already.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 18, 2015

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Off the top of my head running around with a cleric or druid shouldn't be too bad for that setup. (Pathfinder's similar enough to 3.x that playing CoDzilla should still be valid.)

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

NGDBSS posted:

Off the top of my head running around with a cleric or druid shouldn't be too bad for that setup. (Pathfinder's similar enough to 3.x that playing CoDzilla should still be valid.)

CoD being a divine spell, I take it? Call of Doom? I know very little about 3.5.

What if I wanted to be a warlock or some kind of dark mage?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
CoD = Cleric or Druid

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Cleric or Druid

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Reign actually sounds really, really good for Planescape. I'm imagining all the Esoteric Disciplines you could learn from salt elementals and rogue modrons :allears:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Captain Walker posted:

An IRL friend is running Pathfinder (no wait come back) and is distilling it down to its essence: party of 17th-level casters. As someone who played the game all of once as a low level rogue, could I feasibly create a fun character using only the SRD? Someone is playing an arcanist wizard already.

Arcanist and Wizard are two different types of caster. Is he multiclassed or something?

As for creating a character from the SRD, yes you can. The SRD has everything that isn't setting specific.

CoDzilla is less powerful than 3.5 (several of the staple spells were nerfed) but still very usable. It is just a cleric or druid who casts a bunch of self-buff spells on themselves prebattle and acts like an ultra-fighter.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

PresidentBeard posted:

Arcanist and Wizard are two different types of caster. Is he multiclassed or something?

No, just Arcanist. I literally did not know there was a difference. Pathfinder!

PresidentBeard posted:

CoDzilla is less powerful than 3.5 (several of the staple spells were nerfed) but still very usable. It is just a cleric or druid who casts a bunch of self-buff spells on themselves prebattle and acts like an ultra-fighter.

What domains would I want for a battle cleric?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There's a Pathfinder thread here which would probably be a better place to ask for concrete optimisation advice. That, or try brilliantgameologists or whatever they're called these days.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Captain Walker posted:

No, just Arcanist. I literally did not know there was a difference. Pathfinder!
Okay. Arcanist is less powerful than normal wizards, but doesn't appear to be intentionally so. It feels like it's slightly better design was caused by Paizo not understanding why the wizard is poorly designed. Shocker I know.

Captain Walker posted:

What domains would I want for a battle cleric?
War, Strength, and Travel are all good choices. War and Strength for self buffs and Travel for the mini teleports that arguably qualify you for the dimensional agility line of feats. If your GM approves it then these feats let you full attack while teleporting around the battlefield like a mortal combat AI.

Nobility is powerful for giving you a better version of the leadership feat but I wouldn't recommend it due to the followers being a mountain of paperwork.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Captain Walker posted:

CoD being a divine spell, I take it? Call of Doom? I know very little about 3.5.

What if I wanted to be a warlock or some kind of dark mage?

If you want to be a dark mage, witch is a perfectly respectable class. Nothing is as powerful as wizard or cleric but any nine-level caster will hold their own in a level 17 game and witch gets fun special abilities to play with (although you'll be one level short of a Grand Hex).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can I get a recommendation for a good FATE Accelerated Edition LP? I want to read/hear about how it actually is before trying to grok the rules again.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a good FATE Accelerated Edition LP? I want to read/hear about how it actually is before trying to grok the rules again.
I'm obviously biased but http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602834

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O my god how did I miss this fuuuuuuck.

That looks amazing and I am so jealous.

Please tell me Jack Half-a-Prayer makes an appearance. (The fact that there is not a graphic novel based around him is a terrible error.)

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

NGDBSS posted:

They're a gonzo element in a setting that was attempting to be deep (or pretentious, take your pick), and thus rather a jarring shift on tone.
The entire setting is pretty dam off kilter. Remember the Modron's plane of existence was in disarray until they met magic calculators who actually calculated the right values needed to cut the gears that Mechanus consists of. And mind you that is par for the course of Planescape.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Does anyone know anything about the status of Last Stand: Reinforcements beyond what is posted on the Kickstarter page for it? Looks like the last comment from the dev was in September and people are still asking about it. Just curious if anyone has followed development and knows anything. Very interested in the content though I am not a backer.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Xiahou Dun posted:

O my god how did I miss this fuuuuuuck.

That looks amazing and I am so jealous.

Please tell me Jack Half-a-Prayer makes an appearance. (The fact that there is not a graphic novel based around him is a terrible error.)

Oh, hey! That was a fun thing. Sadly it ended from players dropping and general slow down around the second "season". No chance for Jack Half-a-Prayer. They kind of ended right when they were going to have to choose to sail up to New Crobuzon and have to deal with more gang/military poo poo or have a more traditional adventure trying to find High Cromlech.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Fumaofthelake posted:

Does anyone know anything about the status of Last Stand: Reinforcements beyond what is posted on the Kickstarter page for it? Looks like the last comment from the dev was in September and people are still asking about it. Just curious if anyone has followed development and knows anything. Very interested in the content though I am not a backer.
From what she's said on Twitter, Mikan is working on it literally right now.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
She also said she was waiting on some art.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I feel like Planescape would fit in super nicely into 13th Age, but I might be biased because I really like 13th Age.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SunAndSpring posted:

I feel like Planescape would fit in super nicely into 13th Age, but I might be biased because I really like 13th Age.

I really like 13th age for anything I would've used D&D for in days past, too, and one of the campaigns I'm running in it will be heading to Sigil eventually, so we will FIND OUT.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

paradoxGentleman posted:

What would be a good system for a game of interdimensional politics? My first instinct would be to go for GURPS, especially if you have the Social Engineering supplement, but I need to stop throwing GURPS at every system problem I come across.

#1 for a more simulationy style of game would be GURPS with Social Engineering and the Pulling Rank supplement, yeah.

For something easier, I'd use the Cortex + Dramatic Roleplaying rules, since they're all about how a character relates to the values held dear by the setting, and everything revolves around testing interpersonal relationships. I feel like it's custom built for this sort of social game in a way that FATE isn't. FATE works fine, but it works fine for basically anything, it's not bringing anything to the table for the situation besides "being FATE."

Depending on how you structure the game, Primetime Adventures could be pretty cool, but that recommendation is because I just got the new edition in the mail and it's on my mind.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 19, 2015

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
So how is Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition? Last game i was running (long running 4th edition game) ended and I wanted to switch to a completely different system, my friends wanted to try out a super hero system, from what I've seen online it sounds like Mutants and Masterminds is the way to go with that. Is it the correct choice?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Do you consider another D20 game completely different?

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

goldjas posted:

So how is Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition? Last game i was running (long running 4th edition game) ended and I wanted to switch to a completely different system, my friends wanted to try out a super hero system, from what I've seen online it sounds like Mutants and Masterminds is the way to go with that. Is it the correct choice?

If your friends are used to 4E, M&M will not be a huge change for them, outside of the front-loaded CG.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

goldjas posted:

In my experience, something like 75% of attacks against non-mooks do nothing. Your numbers don't go up. It's very easy for someone to have way more options than someone else.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

goldjas posted:

I never tried M&M3e, but it looks like its another d20 game. Probably good or great in that context, but if you're trying to do something different from Dungeons and Dragons 3E and up, you may want to look at such games such as Icons and Godlike/Wildtalents. I haven't played the latter, though I always hear good(ish) things about it, but the former is a decently fun game. It uses a d6-d6 task resolution system, and though you can build a character in like 3 to 5 minutes, I wouldn't say it is rules light or anything better than 13th Age or whatever.

Of course, you could stop loving around and get the ONE TRUE SUPERHERO RPG.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Here's a weird one; do you think audiobooks of RPGs would be worthwhile?

I have a copy of FATE in epub but no time to read, so I set my reader to text to speech so I can listen while I work. It worked okay so far. A real voice would probably be better for any non-cyberpunk game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well, there is a long oral tradition of RPG rules already (I bet most people learn rules by having them explained at the table) so I can't really see why not. Some rulesets are terribly dry and not really suited for the medium, but hell, I'd be really interested in an Apocalypse World audiobook.

• Locked thread