Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

88h88 posted:

Can we buy our own island please?

Then IOC would be the president and Lowtax would be king (or queen?)? Certainly would be interesting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

88h88 posted:

So tonight I'm being picked up in a nice white V6 F Type. I ain't mad, those things sound glorious. :allears:

They do sound amazing. Jaguar and Land Rover have really stepped up their game lately. Plus the quality is really excellent.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

"Land Rover" and reliability don't belong in the same sentence. :colbert:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sir Pukesalot posted:

Then IOC would be the president and Lowtax would be king (or queen?)? Certainly would be interesting...

Who would be the village idiot?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

I can take it on as a part time gig.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

88h88 posted:

Raluek posted:

sperglord firecock :getin:
?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

88h88 posted:

Pretty sure CSB claimed viggen. It's quoted somewhere.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

None of those have 4 doors come on guys :colbert:

Just buy generic HiLux/Ranger/L200/etc, remove the springs and run them on the bump stops. Practically the same thing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mooseykins posted:

Just buy generic HiLux/Ranger/L200/etc, remove the springs and run them on the bump stops. Practically the same thing.

Minis had rubber cone suspension, bump stops are rubber and conical, this post makes sense.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

Minis had rubber cone suspension, bump stops are rubber and conical, this post makes sense.

Well there you go! :v:

Found out that the van has now killed a universal joint, from when the spring snapped. Staked in. Going to Feltham tomorrow to have a new joint fitted.

I'm going to sit down and have a little cry now. :(

88h88 posted:

Can we buy our own island please?

There's an island currently for sale in Italy. Not even joking.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

There's an island for sale in Japan as well :getin:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

There's an island for sale in Japan as well :getin:

The only thing that matters: Is it big enough for a track?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
no amazon I am not going to pay to ship back the ignition coil your idiot employee improperly packaged causing it to break enjoy your chargeback chucklefucks

It's cool how when I sell stuff on Amazon I bend over backwards for customers (instant refund for any customer complaint, no sending back, genuine apology for wasting their time) and will literally lose my license to sell if I don't but Amazon can completely dick me over when I buy poo poo from them.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 18, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Extra posted:

no amazon I am not going to pay to ship back the ignition coil your idiot employee improperly packaged causing it to break enjoy your chargeback chucklefucks

It's cool how when I sell stuff on Amazon I bend over backwards for customers (instant refund for any customer complaint, no sending back, genuine apology for wasting their time) and will literally lose my license to sell if I don't but Amazon can completely dick me over.

I avoid buying things through Amazon now, the price savings is usually not worth the trouble if something goes wrong.

At least with RockAuto, I can return things without ever talking to anyone, its a push of a button.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Extra posted:

It's cool how when I sell stuff on Amazon I bend over backwards for customers (instant refund for any customer complaint, no sending back, genuine apology for wasting their time) and will literally lose my license to sell if I don't but Amazon can completely dick me over when I buy poo poo from them.

Did you buy it FROM amazon, or THROUGH amazon?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Extra posted:

I've had one thing show up broken and one show up as just the completely wrong item, and both times Amazon gave me a UPS label to print for the return. It's weird that they'd expect you to pay for this...

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
No idea where that hate is coming from.. Every return I've done with Amazon has been crazy easy. If it was a relatively inexpensive item they returned my money without even asking for the item back. Hell they even accepted a motorcycle chain return when I found it was a few links shy of what I thought I needed after trying to install it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Saw a 991 GT3 today. Was pretty cool. These are pretty new right?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
How many cars is too many cars? I'm about to try and justify a potential third purchase (our fourth, combined) to my wife and don't really have anything that could be considered objective justification; just subjective to me. The Saabaru is very practical but I don't have much fun with it on the street; I have to drive excessively fast to enjoy it. I love the Miata on the street, but don't drive it in the winter because I hate the visibility with the top up and don't fit that well under a hardtop, even with foamectomy. Now I'm looking at a 318is as a winter counterpart to the Miata - something i can drive at 8/10s to the grocery store, and I've always wanted to have an older BMW. That makes sense in my mind, but to someone who isn't a car person, I'm sure all they see is wasting time and money (in my circumstances right now, time is a real issue). My wife gets particularly worked up by cars because she doesn't understand them and doesn't want to; she just sees potential moneypits that could blow up and steal your baby at any second. She has never bought or sold a car herself and doesn't understand how easy it is to get into something you're interested in and get out if it doesn't work out.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

blk posted:

How many cars is too many cars?

Hahahahaha. Too many cars.. Good one. :v:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

My wife gets particularly worked up by cars because she doesn't understand them and doesn't want to

This would have been a huge red flag for me keeping me from putting a ring on it.

When I met my wife she at least appreciated a nice car; after teaching her to drive stick in the bimmer, showing her some of the funnier episodes of Top Gear, and letting her do some laps in Gran Turismo 6, she's adamant that we can't own any boring cars and they all have to be stick. Also she has her own helmet for autocross days.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

You should divorce her.

Any in my life have to be cool with the idea of 30+ gravel tires being stored somewhere on the premise and thousand dollar subarus showing up regularly for fixing or breaking.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Upon complaining to Amazon I have been given a pre-paid UPS label to send it back for a replacement. Still not happy I'm out my time, gas, packing materials, and not having the part for my car for another week but I suppose it beats paying 2x the price at a brick and mortar or rolling the dice at the junkyard.

ZX3 is fun as gently caress and a welcome change from wet noodle toyota power steering. Having 7 of them pretty much unpicked at the local junkyard helps too.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 18, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
No such thing as too many cars

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

blk posted:

My wife gets particularly worked up by cars because she doesn't understand them and doesn't want to; she just sees potential moneypits that could blow up and steal your baby at any second.

My wife doesn't mind my hobbies, as long as I let her be free with hers. Its been a good deal thusfar.

Nodoze posted:

Mooseykins posted:

Hahahahaha. Too many cars.. Good one. :v:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Nodoze posted:

I've got, uhhh, four, plus two more that I do the maintenance on.

If I had the space and money, I'd have a dozen more.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I'd have as many as space and money allow

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The correct amount of cars is n+1 where n is the current amount of cars you own. hth

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

The correct amount of cars is n+1 where n is the current amount of cars you own. hth

n+1 as n approaches infinity.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If the number of cars you have prevents you working on your cars, you have too many cars. Strip one or more for parts to fix the others, or build a shop. Or a bigger shop.

I guess the conclusion of this stream of consciousness is that you can never have too many cars, but you can have too many cars for the space you currently have.

I'm now really digging the idea of a slammed rwd-only defender double cab with a lush interior. This is what's wrong with my brain.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The only reason I have two is so I don't get stuck at my house if one breaks down. I don't even drive the other one apart from taking it out monthly to get it warmed up.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Nodoze posted:

I'd have as many as space and money allow

Agreed. I have 3 and can barely afford them, but only because I'm old and make enough money that I want the best of the best when I customize. I still have to do it on a budget though, like I'm not digging in to my C70 motor to sleeve it and put rods in like a buddy of mine did. Therefore I'm done modifying that car. Unless I decide to do an AWD conversion, then the motor will need a lot more power due to the increase in traction and drivetrain losses. I'm putting off major maintenance on my daily because I know it's going to hit me for about $2000 all at once in parts when I tear it down.

If I had a little more money and a lot more space I'd have at least 2 more cars. Just because. If I won the lottery I'd probably go Jay Leno all over your asses.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Your dad has a Scout and you're into RX7s?

Was your childhood just one uninterrupted span of lying in the dark corner of your room crying because your toy cars didn't rust or catch fire like dad's?

Seriously though post your dad's Scout.

Haha, I got my first car at 9. A 25 Model T. The next was a 62 Olds F85 and then a 67 Mustang. It wasn't until my late teens that I got into rotaries. I'll find some pictures.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cakefool posted:

I'm now really digging the idea of a slammed rwd-only defender double cab with a lush interior. This is what's wrong with my brain.

I've always wanted to buy a dedicated off-roader and just make it completely unsuitable by dropping it on its arse... And I don't know why. I think I caught a case of 'scene' quite early on in my life.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Do you remember pictures of that slammed series landy on a vw chassis? Apart from the vw angle I think that's awesome.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I have two cars, and it is one car too many but I would still buy a 3rd car if I had room for it and it was interesting.

In other news, my brother has a 99 328i with like 150k miles, his driver side window fell down like 3 months ago and hes been driving with plastip wrap on it since then. He finally "fixed" it the other day. He stuck a piece of wood in the door and then screwed it in to something to hold it there. Whats that, you ask? Didn't the side airbag get in the way? It sure did, he just cut it out because he "didnt need it"

Okay guy. He used to drive a jeep, he was involved in a head on accident at a traffic light. Before that was a monte carlo, which rolled a couple times when a cop t-boned him. Before that was an explorer that got side swiped by a semi. Who needs airbags?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cakefool posted:

Do you remember pictures of that slammed series landy on a vw chassis? Apart from the vw angle I think that's awesome.

No but I found this...

Would.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think that's the same car.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Friend of a friend's Raptop/Airstream hit the front page of Jalopnik.
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/this-rare-and-small-airstream-looks-boss-with-a-matchin-1692159216/+travis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That is the most :awesomelon: caravan I've seen.

• Locked thread