Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tin Hat posted:

How does the game know if there are enough workers then? Is it just based off of population numbers?

More or less, one of the data views gives the actual employment figures and the number changes constantly.

I think it uses the traffic system to generate a percentage chance that a job gets filled, because zones with bad transportation off in the distance tend to have issues staying staffed. But it's definitely not SC2013 style where an agent has to drive from a house to a job for that job to get filled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tin Hat posted:

How does the game know if there are enough workers then? Is it just based off of population numbers?
Yeah, its a hybrid statistical assignment tacked onto agents. Agents still get assigned actual jobs. Citizen agents have a weird spread of statistical vs agent simulation tasks on their list of things to do that can come up. Going to work is one of them that doesn't further affect the simulation besides taking up pavement space while driving there; as long as the industry has the job slot filled they are cool. Visiting commercial does affect the simulation by representing buying goods which keeps the commercial in business.

xzzy posted:

More or less, one of the data views gives the actual employment figures and the number changes constantly.

I think it uses the traffic system to generate a percentage chance that a job gets filled, because zones with bad transportation off in the distance tend to have issues staying staffed. But it's definitely not SC2013 style where an agent has to drive from a house to a job for that job to get filled.
I think the devs have stated job placement is based on education, then distance. Satellite industrial and commercial areas get low priority due to their distance.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Chill la Chill posted:

Has someone made a doobie's dog house yet? If not I'll make one when I get home tonight but I need this

I might take on this. I have a few things I want to crash out first, but it's on my personal radar.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

Tin Hat posted:

Yep, and workers prioritize jobs of highest education level they can do, but that seems to be it. It can be physically impossible for the workers to get to their workplace and things will still work out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powerlines are annoying as poo poo. I have to place all of these then I'm gonna have to go demolish all of these once the zones fill in.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

zedprime posted:

I think the devs have stated job placement is based on education, then distance. Satellite industrial and commercial areas get low priority due to their distance.

I'm pretty sure that this is impacted by your cims driving to work. My industrial district was having really horrible unemployment problems until I fixed road traffic around it and added a rail network from my new housing development on the opposite tile of my map to the industrial zone.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

NeuralSpark posted:

:siren: :stonk: :siren:

I avoid zooming all the way in just to avoid the farm animal and siren noise.

I have all audio muted except for some UI stuff and just listen to other poo poo when I'm playing this game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I'm pretty sure that this is impacted by your cims driving to work. My industrial district was having really horrible unemployment problems until I fixed road traffic around it and added a rail network from my new housing development on the opposite tile of my map to the industrial zone.
Their idea of distance might be based on a calculated travel time then? I know from my city its the uneducated jobs at the furthest fringes of city limits that get left unfilled after a retirement wave.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e50NafYjlq4

I can finally understand the living hell that my citizens must constantly be facing. Jesus christ the sirens never stop.

Sirens aside, this game is very pretty. (Thankfully their route didn't go through purple industrial wasteland.) Also, that map looks really interesting with some nice hills.

Sulla
May 10, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Powerlines are annoying as poo poo. I have to place all of these then I'm gonna have to go demolish all of these once the zones fill in.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409251698&searchtext=underground

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

zedprime posted:

Their idea of distance might be based on a calculated travel time then? I know from my city its the uneducated jobs at the furthest fringes of city limits that get left unfilled after a retirement wave.

I could see random commutes being used to determine distance. I obviously don't know how the simulation works, but I've run into a few situations where it seemed like people actually had to make it into work from time to time to keep industrial jobs running. It seems like it acts like a check where every so often a cim has to clock in or the game thinks that there aren't workers.

e:

Jet Jaguar posted:

Sirens aside, this game is very pretty. (Thankfully their route didn't go through purple industrial wasteland.) Also, that map looks really interesting with some nice hills.

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410456200

This is the map, if you're interested.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 24, 2015

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011
Well this is nice. I manually saved my first city before logging last night and I can't find the save anywhere on my computer. :(

VVVVVVVV: It's empty. I even overwrote a save so I know I told it to.

BuhamutZeo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 24, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

BuhamutZeo posted:

Well this is nice. I manually saved my first city before logging last night and I can't find the save anywhere on my computer. :(

the saves are normally stored in %appdata%\local\Colossal Order\etc. I think.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'd really like to see more Arcologies as monuments. They make good centerpieces for massive urban areas and crazy circle-cities.

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011
Quote is not edit.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

simosimo posted:

I might take on this. I have a few things I want to crash out first, but it's on my personal radar.

Thank you, friend. I'll make a small town down the road from my large university city :)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can you have a ghostbusters service in this game?

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Just wait for someone to mod it in.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
The University of Cimci-Trapville has lit on fire five times

help

what is going on at this U

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

help

Lot's of chemistry

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Top Hats Monthly posted:

help

Progress.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Lakitu7 posted:

Also cows. Zooming in anywhere near farms is terrible. MOO MOO MOO yes there are cows nearby. I get it. Shut up.

You've apparently never lived near cows.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Top Hats Monthly posted:

help

Secret meth lab. Bring the cops instead of the firemen.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

MikeJF posted:

No you don't. Zones will build regardless if they have power. Just wait for the first one to pop up, and build towers to that and the rest will be powered from there.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

Bob le Moche posted:

The game doesn't actually care whether workers can make it to their workplace. The cars are just for show and for slowing down service vehicles.

I was pretty devastated when I figured this out. I even have trouble bringing myself to keep playing the game now that I know this. I'm sorry :(

That's cool, I've always played these games like they're my own little bonsai tree/model railroad/zen garden or whatever. I just like making natural pretty looking towns and have never given a poo poo about the simulation aspect - but I can totally understand how a proper simulation would be really important to people.

Fortunately for you, there's a mod for that.

quote:

Added a wealth counter to residential buildings, every time a worker leaves for work or to shop it goes down, when the worker succeeds in reaching their destination it goes up. Your tax rate affects the amount it goes up by. Needs to pass a threshhold to level up the building, and the building will get abandoned if it gets too low (will show low land value problem).

Click on any residential building to see the wealth level. It will show the (current wealth level) / (wealth level needed to level up)

Made it much harder for traffic to despawn.

Workers were less likely to want to go to work when a lot of cars were out, removed this.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Bob le Moche posted:

The game doesn't actually care whether workers can make it to their workplace. The cars are just for show and for slowing down service vehicles.

I was pretty devastated when I figured this out. I even have trouble bringing myself to keep playing the game now that I know this. I'm sorry :(
The end result is still the same, though - your city works if your traffic works, and doesn't if your traffic sucks.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

Can you have a ghostbusters service in this game?

Haha. Have a tiny chance on citizen death to haunt the building for the next people that move in.

Sometimes I weren't so inept useless when it comes to code/modding/computery stuff.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Top Hats Monthly posted:

help

Clearly too many mixtapes.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Saxophone posted:

Sometimes I weren't so inept useless when it comes to code/modding/computery stuff.
You could have outbreaks when a building is overtaken by green things and steams ectoplasm, like a fire.
Hauntings on public transit, hauntings on dangerous roads, rat hauntings in densely polluted areas, ghosts of agents who couldn't find their way...
Flood the city in poo poo and watch half the deceased population dance in the streets.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Guildencrantz posted:

Secret meth lab. Bring the cops instead of the firemen.

Now I want a mod that turns abandoned properties in low- or un-policed zones into revenue++ crime+ generating industrial sites that soak up neighboring badness like a sponge. The idea of intentionally allowing crime to flourish in certain areas for the greater public/economic health of the city gives me dystopian wood.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Cephalocidal posted:

Now I want a mod that turns abandoned properties in low- or un-policed zones into revenue++ crime+ generating industrial sites that soak up neighboring badness like a sponge. The idea of intentionally allowing crime to flourish in certain areas for the greater public/economic health of the city gives me dystopian wood.

Easter Egg: Name your neighborhood "Hamsterdam"

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Easter Egg: Name your neighborhood "Hamsterdam"

Whitey Sale!

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Combined metro/bus terminal working well. Currently servicing about 6000 people a week with an 80k population. I need to combine it with rail, now, but the map is hilly and it's hard to build.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Mokotow posted:

Someone a few pages back mentioned that their sub stations did not work when placed on a road T-intersection - maybe that's it?
That's possible, I will try moving it around some tonight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I really hate how subways work in this game. The UI for the routes is bad, the attach points for the train stations are bad, and needing a 2x2 plot to place a stop is bad too. :colbert:

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I kinda wish there was just an auto routing system for trains/buses/etc like SC4. Because there's a point in the game where you're just like 'gently caress it' because as your city grows your input becomes more high level. I like to nit-pick when something becomes a problem, or more interestingly - a puzzle - which you want to solve. Much how a lot of us tend to spend way too much time fixing that _one_ intersection because it's a fun problem to solve.

I was thinking the bus/metro/train lines could do that as well, basically auto route until issues appear to which you delve into with manual line management. Funnily enough, prison Architect does this and I think it's the perfect solution - AI tries to figure out the best solution until the player wants to manually override it.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 24, 2015

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Tin Hat posted:

Am I mistaken, or does it look like ambulances stop for red lights/won't drive in the oncoming traffic lane? I guess that'd be difficult to program, but no wonder they're not getting anywhere.

Unless I've missed it, I think they act very much like normal traffic. I kinda wish they'd find a way to make them at least ignore some of the rules.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I really hate how subways work in this game. The UI for the routes is bad, the attach points for the train stations are bad, and needing a 2x2 plot to place a stop is bad too. :colbert:

I'd say the same of the routes for busses. It's especially annoying that all the routes show up at the same time and you can't routes other than the one you're working on.

I do like that busses don't need their own plot, that drove me nuts in SC4. 2x2 plots are a little annoying for the metro though. It doesn't bother me as much because I've only used a few stops so far.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

wilderthanmild posted:

Unless I've missed it, I think they act very much like normal traffic. I kinda wish they'd find a way to make them at least ignore some of the rules.

I honestly wouldn't mind it one bit if emergency services noclipped if they had their lights on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there a transit capacity mod out there? A small town will fill a max funded metro and a tiny village will fill a bus route, it's crazy.

Actually what we need is a traffic mod that just tones down the amount of traffic in general. Would this be possible? Like just decrease the rate that residential buildings send out people?