Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Fart Cannon posted:

I haven't had any issues since I bought mine new (2008.5) other than the typical tires wearing unevenly and motor mounts. I have no mods on my car for comparison.

I've had people tell me the engines don't last but I haven't seen any real evidence of that online and the techs at work said that they are pretty bulletproof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nodoze posted:

I've had people tell me the engines don't last but I haven't seen any real evidence of that online and the techs at work said that they are pretty bulletproof

I still hold the belief that all the engines you read about popping are from loving nitwits blowing them up with sick modz, who have no clue what they are doing.

I would never, ever buy one of these cars used, unless I personally knew the previous owner.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

opengl128 posted:

I still hold the belief that all the engines you read about popping are from loving nitwits blowing them up with sick modz, who have no clue what they are doing.

I would never, ever buy one of these cars used, unless I personally knew the previous owner.

The two that I've actually went and looked at are stock one owner cars at least. Definitely wouldn't touch one that's been obviously modded and abused

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Aexo posted:

Earlier this evening I hit a small pot hole city driving in my '13 MS3 and my BSM light flashed till I hit another one. Pressing the button while it was flashing didn't do anything. Previously I've had all my electronics momentarily (less than a second) go out freeway driving but the dealership didn't find anything. Am I just cursed?

Throwing a dead possum out there but: Was it wet out when it happened? Like maybe it kicked some poo poo up that got onto one of or both of the sensors?

Can't say anything about "all electronics momentarily failing" other than either god hates you or you're plugging some weird thing into the car that isn't compliant with some basic electrical standard?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Motors blew in the early days when guys first started modding/tuning. The stock tune combined with our small turbo (fast spool) would make peak torque at crazy low rpm. It's arguable that an e-tune from one of the reputable guys is safer than stock, because they can create a safer torque curve. Obviously there are idiots out there who put on a downpipe before upgrading the fuel pump, but there's guys who have been running 400hp for a long rear end time without blowing.

The golden rule is don't go into boost under 3k rpm, especially in 5/6th if you want to be really safe. High loads + low rpm = :(

That being said I'd never buy a modded ms3 unless you knew exactly what to ask and look for.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Fabulousity posted:

Throwing a dead possum out there but: Was it wet out when it happened? Like maybe it kicked some poo poo up that got onto one of or both of the sensors?

Can't say anything about "all electronics momentarily failing" other than either god hates you or you're plugging some weird thing into the car that isn't compliant with some basic electrical standard?

Yeah, it was raining. I should find something that explains how BSM works in more detail... it's been something I've wanted to understand better anyway.

About the momentary electronic failure... All the lights went out; headlights, speed/tach, radio, etc. It was freaky since it was at night, but thank goodness it was very brief. No mods on the car and the only thing plugged in was a USB cable that wasn't even hooked up to my phone at the time.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Google Butt posted:

The golden rule is don't go into boost under 3k rpm, especially in 5/6th if you want to be really safe. High loads + low rpm = :(

That reminds me, I was watching this video the other day. Jump to 7:10. I was just waiting for the boom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxdWRJbuw3I

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

opengl128 posted:

That reminds me, I was watching this video the other day. Jump to 7:10. I was just waiting for the boom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxdWRJbuw3I

Yeah, thankfully that guy is tuned by the best guy out there. Potentially a bent rod if it was on the stock tune.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
2013 Speed3 here. I'm planning to get new tires soon and I'm trying to decide between Michelin pilot sport a/s, Goodyear eagle sport a/s, and Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
OK so this is pissing me off. I just changed the oil in my wife's Skyactiv 2.0 3 Hatch and the oil level is showing ~2/3 from add to full even with putting in ~4.4 l or so (spec says 4.2L).

Is this common? I've never had this issue that I can recall prior to this.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

AvesPKS posted:

2013 Speed3 here. I'm planning to get new tires soon and I'm trying to decide between Michelin pilot sport a/s, Goodyear eagle sport a/s, and Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I've had the Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my '13 MS3 since November and I'm extremely happy with them. The performance in cold, snowy conditions is acceptable and in the dry, they're just fantastic. Much better than the factory tires in every possible way.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Looking at buying a Mazda 3 in the next month or so. I'm thinking grand touring just for the power seats and upgraded audio. I don't see a huge difference other than those items. I'm not looking at the S models because I would want the grand touring S and that's out of my price range.

Anyways-is it worth looking at a 2014 or 2013 model to save some cash-or are they keeping resale values well enough where new is a decent option?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Curt Hitch installed on the Mazda 3. A little tedious and awkward, but not difficult. For sure want to use an exhaust hanger removal tool and maybe a little wd40.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

nwin posted:

Looking at buying a Mazda 3 in the next month or so. I'm thinking grand touring just for the power seats and upgraded audio. I don't see a huge difference other than those items. I'm not looking at the S models because I would want the grand touring S and that's out of my price range.

Anyways-is it worth looking at a 2014 or 2013 model to save some cash-or are they keeping resale values well enough where new is a decent option?

Look around at your local dealers, but there should be specials to clear out the older new models

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

dema posted:

Curt Hitch installed on the Mazda 3. A little tedious and awkward, but not difficult. For sure want to use an exhaust hanger removal tool and maybe a little wd40.
Hey, how much did that run you '14+ hatch buddy?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Urgh, someone please tell me there's a good way to fix or blend a scratch out of the armrest console of an 09 3. I was loading a long item from Home Depot through the back and like an idiot I forgot to protect the armrest. The scratch isn't huge but it's what I'd call "deep" because the box had a sharp corner and it kind of gouged its way through the rubberized vinyl armrest. None of the rubber/vinyl is MISSING, but there's a visible scratch and it looks like the material has parted slightly, as if cut by a scalpel. If it was just vinyl I could probably heat it out but it's that weird rubbery stuff instead.

It's just driving me insane knowing it's there. I'm seriously at the point where I'm about to start looking for replacement armrests on eBay.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Wrar posted:

Hey, how much did that run you '14+ hatch buddy?

$110. Plus the exhaust hanger tool. Had everything else.

Took me like two hours to do. Could do it again in half the time.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

And I wanna say that the 2.5L Mazda 3 is a perfectly fun car. Decent torque. Nice and snappy, even at freeway speeds.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I just bought a '15 Mazda 3 Touring six-speed today, after owning a 2003 Forester for the last 10 years.

Aside from the fact that my phone and the car seem to confuse each other somewhat (I suspect my phone gets confused by being plugged into the USB port for power while trying to stream audio via Bluetooth) and having to unlearn a decade of "reverse is right and up" muscle memory from the 5 speed on the Forester, I'm really enjoying the car so far.

Aside from the previous generations of the Mazda 3 having issues with rust (I live somewhere that rarely gets snow, and doesn't salt, so I'm not terribly worried about that) and a few things I've found online about excessive tire wear, I didn't run across any significant problems while researching the car, but are there any little "gotcha" issues that I need to be on the lookout for?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

azflyboy posted:

I just bought a '15 Mazda 3 Touring six-speed today, after owning a 2003 Forester for the last 10 years.

Aside from the fact that my phone and the car seem to confuse each other somewhat (I suspect my phone gets confused by being plugged into the USB port for power while trying to stream audio via Bluetooth) and having to unlearn a decade of "reverse is right and up" muscle memory from the 5 speed on the Forester, I'm really enjoying the car so far.

Aside from the previous generations of the Mazda 3 having issues with rust (I live somewhere that rarely gets snow, and doesn't salt, so I'm not terribly worried about that) and a few things I've found online about excessive tire wear, I didn't run across any significant problems while researching the car, but are there any little "gotcha" issues that I need to be on the lookout for?

The only thing I have found so far is passengers getting out will sometimes scuff the inside of the door with their shoes due to the seats being low compared to most econo cars. Thankfully its the fake leather/plastic stuff that you can just rub off with a damp cloth. If you have the hatch and have the cream interior be careful removing the parcel shelf, it can leave black scuffs on the rear pillars.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I got the black interior, since the cream one looked like a bit too much work to keep clean.

The one part of the deal that still has me scratching my head is the fact that the dealer wanted to charge me $1000 more for paying cash for the car versus financing, since there was a $1000 incentive that only applied if I financed, and they wouldn't drop the price by the same amount if I paid cash. Since the financing only required payments for six months, I ended up putting 60% down, and I'm just going to pay the balance of the loan off in November, so Mazda/the dealer only make about $120 in interest for the entire loan.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

dema posted:

$110. Plus the exhaust hanger tool. Had everything else.

Took me like two hours to do. Could do it again in half the time.

Dema-is that a bike rack? Could you post a link to the one you got?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yes. 1UP. It's fantastic if you just want a rack for single bike. Light and minimalist.

https://www.1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

:toot:

trem
Sep 17, 2009
Changing the cabin air filter (for the first time ever) in my 2008 Mazda 3 tomorrow. Not looking forward to it.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

trem posted:

Changing the cabin air filter (for the first time ever) in my 2008 Mazda 3 tomorrow. Not looking forward to it.

Hope you're a fairly small person, my 2011 took ages and sucked way more than I thought possible (top filter wouldn't stay, etc)

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

After changing the cabin air filter in my wife's 2013 Optima in 30 seconds, I started looking in to doing it to my 2008 3. :stare: I paid the dealership the $50 or whatever it cost and had them do it. gently caress that. The service manager told me that their techs hate doing it and that they don't charge enough for it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The cabin filter is a pain but not hard.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Bovril Delight posted:

The cabin filter is a pain but not hard.

Yeah it's really not that bad if you can turn a screw driver and put a laptop on the seat with a How-To up.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Just had the pollen filter in my 2008 3 done today by the local corner garage - the tech said it really isn't that bad once you're used to it.

trem
Sep 17, 2009
Couldn't do it yesterday because it was raining all day, hopefully it'll be clear this afternoon.

And yeah it doesn't look difficult, just annoying.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

It is more time consuming than it needs to be, and besides, I'm a lazy rear end in a top hat that doesn't like working on cars. I'm only here for sweet MazdaSpeed 3 rumors. :getin:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I paid off my Mazda 3 today, since it turns out that the dealer's finance guy was giving me a line of BS when he said that the loan required six months of payments before it could be paid off.

When I got the statement from Mazda/Chase, it specifically said that there was no prepayment penalty on the loan (even if the finance contract specified one), and a phone call to Mazda's finance division confirmed that, so I ended up getting a $1000 incentive for financing the car, and only paid $18 in interest.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

azflyboy posted:

I paid off my Mazda 3 today, since it turns out that the dealer's finance guy was giving me a line of BS when he said that the loan required six months of payments before it could be paid off.

When I got the statement from Mazda/Chase, it specifically said that there was no prepayment penalty on the loan (even if the finance contract specified one), and a phone call to Mazda's finance division confirmed that, so I ended up getting a $1000 incentive for financing the car, and only paid $18 in interest.

What was your interest rate? I've done the same, but it worked out better to keep the loan because I was getting a better ROI with my money.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bovril Delight posted:

What was your interest rate? I've done the same, but it worked out better to keep the loan because I was getting a better ROI with my money.

My interest rate was 3.6% on a 60 month loan. I originally intended to pay cash for the car, but since the dealer refused to match the $1000 incentive if I did that, I just went for an option that kept the monthly payment down, since the contract I signed didn't have anything about six months of payments being required anywhere in it.

I could have set up a 36 or 48 month loan with a lower rate, but since I'd already set aside the money to buy the car outright and only financed about $8k, I decided that not dealing with car payments was worth the minimal gains in interest I would have made with that money invested.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Hit a pothole yesterday and I'm pretty sure my front SenSens are blown. I had a feeling this'd just be a band aid sorta fix, had em for about a year and a half and most folks seem to be reporting this kinda time span...

Guess it's time to save up for something fun in the suspension department :yayclod:

trem
Sep 17, 2009
Got new tires yesterday and finally got to change the cabin air filter this morning. Not difficult at all, just a little tedious. Also very cramped. Luckily my little brother (who is a lot smaller and has been driving the car lately anyways) wanted to help, so he ended up sitting upside down in the passenger seat to get the filters in. Also changed the air intake filter since I don't remember the last time I did that.

I was actually pretty surprised at how easy it was to remove (and reinstall) everything blocking the cabin air filter housing. Few screws, some clips and a little bit of careful pulling.

azazello
Dec 26, 2008
So I have a 2008.1 MS3 and I love it. The only problem I'm having right now is that the battery keeps dying. It takes less than a week to go from completely charged to unable to crank. I'm going to replace the battery, but do y'all think this is an electrical leak? What should I check?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

azazello posted:

So I have a 2008.1 MS3 and I love it. The only problem I'm having right now is that the battery keeps dying. It takes less than a week to go from completely charged to unable to crank. I'm going to replace the battery, but do y'all think this is an electrical leak? What should I check?

Is it the OEM battery still? I had to replace mine in my 08 last winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

opengl128 posted:

Is it the OEM battery still? I had to replace mine in my 08 last winter.

I believe it is

Edit: One other thing I noticed is, in the morning when all cars outside are covered in dew, it has a spot on the hood that is dry, close to the center of the windshield - indicating heating/power draw? I'm not sure what could be doing that.

azazello fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 16, 2015