Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The third V/H/S was as bad as the first two probably should have been but somehow weren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

mr.capps posted:

what is with people and this phrase, I see it apply to every thing

its like the "pretentious" for comedy

It's like 'random for random's sake'. Danger 5 really relies on nonsense so much that it comes across as lazy and trying too hard simultaneously.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mr.capps posted:

what is with people and this phrase, I see it apply to every thing

its like the "pretentious" for comedy

Especially when it doesn't apply.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Danger 5 doesn't really rely on nonsense; it's set in a pretty weird world, but it establishes the weirdness early on and is consistent about it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Dr Monkeysee posted:

The campfire scene where they ask Shreck what his favorite part of Dracula was is straight-up genius. The rest of the movie is weird and interesting but ultimately just kinda ok.
The director is kind of an oddball. He's only directed two other movies: Suspect Zero, which was apparently doomed from Hollywood shenanigans, and his first film Begotten, which is, uh, unique. I've seen Shadow but it didn't leave much of an impression on me; I think "weird and interesting but ultimately just kinda ok" is perfect.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Danger 5 has an episode with a talking Nazi dog followed by an episode with Nazi dinosaurs followed by an episode with Nazi robots. They're throwing darts at index cards naming everything the Internet thinks is instantly hilarious. It's like when everyone thought adding ninjas, pirates and zombies made anything wacky and cool and funny. That's basically where the phrase "monkey cheese" came from.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Those premises are pretty rooted in the adventure genre though.

Besides the talking dog, which is a gag and not a premise.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Like how do you feel about Mike Tyson Mysteries? The criticism here seems to be more "its too high concept" than its "random"

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I've been tricking Netflix into thinking I'm living in the UK in order to watch Black Books, it's an amazingly funny show and I don't know why I took so long to finally watch it. The thing is, now I've finished it and don't know what to watch next. Are there any shows / movies that fit the BB tone? Thanks!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pentaro posted:

I've been tricking Netflix into thinking I'm living in the UK in order to watch Black Books, it's an amazingly funny show and I don't know why I took so long to finally watch it. The thing is, now I've finished it and don't know what to watch next. Are there any shows / movies that fit the BB tone? Thanks!

if you haven't seen The IT Crowd it's on US Netflix and sorta scratches the same itch

edit: i just realized the rich rear end in a top hat in Calvary was one of the dudes on Black Books. knew i'd seen him somewhere before.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 26, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
From what I can tell the term "monkey cheese" comes from Control Alt Delete where he would have a character that would just spout random nonsense in place of humor, with popular words being used being "monkey" and "cheese". It refers to a very particular thing where randomness is being used in place of humor. It has gained the expanded, less useful definition of being used to refer to any random or wacky humor.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Force Majeure is quite good. It's not in my top ten of 2014 or anything, but it's definitely slid into my top twenty.

edit: eh, maybe not even top 30. It's still mad good, though.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 26, 2015

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if you haven't seen The IT Crowd it's on US Netflix and sorta scratches the same itch

edit: i just realized the rich rear end in a top hat in Calvary was one of the dudes on Black Books. knew i'd seen him somewhere before.

Shaun of the Dead, as well.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Pentaro posted:

If Green Wing is on UK netflix give that a watch. It stars Tamsin Grieg as the main character. The first episode is usual filler/exposition but it gets going real fast after that. It's also probably one of the darkest comedies I've ever seen.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Who uses Tim and Eric as a negative comparison.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I believe that the "randomest" thing I've seen on Netflix is Rubber

I watched the first ten minutes or so and then thought, "No, I'm not ready for this"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Erebus posted:

Danger 5 has an episode with a talking Nazi dog followed by an episode with Nazi dinosaurs followed by an episode with Nazi robots. They're throwing darts at index cards naming everything the Internet thinks is instantly hilarious. It's like when everyone thought adding ninjas, pirates and zombies made anything wacky and cool and funny. That's basically where the phrase "monkey cheese" came from.

It's a show about people fighting bizarre Nazi poo poo at the behest of a bipedal eagle. Of course it's going to have bizarre poo poo and talking animals in it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Gilok posted:

I watched the first ten minutes or so and then thought, "No, I'm not ready for this"

See, that's not really random at all. It's really bad and dumb but it's all very deliberate in the way that it's bad and dumb.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pentaro posted:

Father Ted.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Gilok posted:

Have you seen The Catechism Cataclysm?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

Shaun of the Dead, as well.

oooooooh poo poo, it's that guy too!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oooooooh poo poo, it's that guy too!

He's called Dylan Moran and he's a very well known comedian.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

stickyfngrdboy posted:

He's called Dylan Moran and he's a very well known comedian.

I mostly know him as the guy from Black Books, Calvary and Shaun of the Dead

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Directors cut of Amadeus is still up on Netflix and you should all loving watch it because it is beautiful, hilarious and well acted all around. Really still a treasure of a film after all these years.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

That Works posted:

The Directors cut of Amadeus is still up on Netflix and you should all loving watch it because it is beautiful, hilarious and well acted all around. Really still a treasure of a film after all these years.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
I know that this is CINEMA discusso and all but if you haven't watched Stanhope's Beer Hall Putsch yet you're doing yourselves a massive disservice.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

That Works posted:

Ooh, now THAT is one of those movies I haven't seen in years, but would love to give a re-watch. Are there any huge changes in the director's cut? Ideally, I'd like a change where Tom Hulce wins the Oscar instead of F. Murray Abraham.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

morestuff posted:

I mostly know him as the guy from Black Books, Calvary and Shaun of the Dead

A Film With Me In It is good too.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I see people mentioning Bloodline and I'm thinking THIS is back on Netflix and getting a lot of positive remarks from people?!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I see people mentioning Bloodline and I'm thinking THIS is back on Netflix and getting a lot of positive remarks from people?!

No, it's a new series.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I was sort of wishing it was the secret bloodline of Jesus documentary, though. I quit watching it about halfway through when it was on Netflix about 5 years ago and for some reason I wanted to try to give it another go despite how little I liked it.

Been going through a conspiracy documentary binge lately. I've found myself forced to watch people giving speeches at UFO conventions to feed that fix.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

InterrupterJones posted:

Ooh, now THAT is one of those movies I haven't seen in years, but would love to give a re-watch. Are there any huge changes in the director's cut? Ideally, I'd like a change where Tom Hulce wins the Oscar instead of F. Murray Abraham.

There's an entire subplot in two scenes that were added back and a pretty rough scene with Salieri and Mozart's wife. I had never seen either before. They were good but dispensible for the regular cut for sure. I loved both actors but Abraham just kills it in this film.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

The Time Dissolver posted:

A Film With Me In It is good too.

Go into this without reading anything about the plot. I saw it blind and was amazed.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Just finished Automata. It was a decent watch, if a little derivative and not too groundbreaking. A few interesting concepts, like the rules of robotics being designed by some precursor AI so that no human knew or was able to alter them. The references and callbacks were pretty heavy though, for better or worse. Right down to the instrumental rendition of Daisy Bell (the HAL 9000 song) at the end of the credits.

Also, did anyone think that the actress who played the robotics expert in the middle of the film was like the director's girlfriend or something? It's not a Hollywood blockbuster but the acting there was notably bad. Other than that, the film got the job done.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That was actually a very well-known actress (though I didn't really like her here either.)

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Lycus posted:

That was actually a very well-known actress (though I didn't really like her here either.)

Holy poo poo that was Melanie Griffith? But yeah, given that she was Banderas's wife I guess my hunch stands.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 28, 2015

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

That Works posted:

There's an entire subplot in two scenes that were added back and a pretty rough scene with Salieri and Mozart's wife. I had never seen either before. They were good but dispensible for the regular cut for sure. I loved both actors but Abraham just kills it in this film.

I agree that they were largely disposable but I do think the Salieri/wife scene helped explain her hostility near the end.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The Dead Rising movie is up on Crackle. It's ugh, something. Rob Giggle hamming it up as Frank West was pretty fun.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

Who uses Tim and Eric as a negative comparison.

People who don't know anything.

A MIRACLE posted:

Have you seen The Catechism Cataclysm?

It's great, but that only may be because Steve Little is great.

coyo7e posted:

The Dead Rising movie is up on Crackle. It's ugh, something. Rob Giggle hamming it up as Frank West was pretty fun.

That is exceptionally well cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Can I get some recs for movies similar to Rear Window? I've seen Body Double, Disturbia and The Burbs.

Also any movies about secluded cabins, houses, wilderness and so on.