Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

bairfanx posted:

Were the Archie books solicited though? I didn't think they were?

Is this just Marvel loving around with Hawkeye because Fraction didn't do what they wanted him to? That doesn't make any real sense to be, abut at the same time, it feels like it all went to poo poo when they asked him to rewrite Inhuman however many times before handing it to Soule?

I assume its an art issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hawkeye was never really a monthly book anyway and has never tied into anything at all so it is one of the few books where you can probably hold it up for the art and sales won't be hurt too badly.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Hawkeye was never really a monthly book anyway and has never tied into anything at all so it is one of the few books where you can probably hold it up for the art and sales won't be hurt too badly.

At this point, sure, but I get the feeling you've never worked in a comic shop?

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?catalogID=2156669

Some DC collected editions for fall 2015.

Snyder's Swamp Thing and Lemire's Green Arrow get the deluxe treatment, same with Multiversity.

Absolute GL/GA feels overdue so good to see that.

For people like me who like older stuff, the Phantom Stranger, Wild Dog and Dr. Fate trades are a nice surprise.

Worrying lack of any volume 3s for Ostrander's Spectre and Martian Manhunter. Hope they're not done with.

What is odd it that Ostrander's Suicide Squad vol 1 is being reprinted. Please let this mean we're going to get vol 2 (and beyond)

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Lemire's Green Arrow was good right? If so I'll pick that up, the art always looked so great.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Starsnostars posted:

Lemire's Green Arrow was good right? If so I'll pick that up, the art always looked so great.

Everyone here seems to rave about it. I tried it but found the art made it unreadable to me. To my eyes Sorrentino's work is just plain ugly. Looks like he's just photocopied photos on a high contrast setting.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oh poo poo, I did not expect to see this. I have all three of them, they were one of my earliest comics purchases.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

Oh poo poo, I did not expect to see this. I have all three of them, they were one of my earliest comics purchases.
Took 'em drat long enough.

I have all 3 too.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I read all three at my local library!

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
I haven't been into comics that long. How often does Marvel re-print Omnibuses? I've been on a Daredevil kick and I'm one of those weirdos who loves physical books. The odds have to be pretty good that at least the Bendis gets a re-print in the next few years with the Netflix push, right? I've been holding off on owning physical copies of Waid for an Omnibus, too. We'll see that sometime in a couple years I expect?

Are the omnibuses usually a good deal? I guess I could just go with OSHC for Waid.

Mahasamatman fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 1, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mahasamatman posted:

The odds have to be pretty good that at least the Bendis gets a re-print in the next few years with the Netflix push, right?
Well, to this front, I would say just grab the 3 Ultimate Collections that collect the entire Bendis run that have been easily available for a few years now. The same situation applies to the Brubaker run.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mahasamatman posted:

I haven't been into comics that long. How often does Marvel re-print Omnibuses? I've been on a Daredevil kick and I'm one of those weirdos who loves physical books. The odds have to be pretty good that at least the Bendis gets a re-print in the next few years with the Netflix push, right? I've been holding off on owning physical copies of Waid for an Omnibus, too. We'll see that sometime in a couple years I expect?

Are the omnibuses usually a good deal? I guess I could just go with OSHC for Waid.
They rarely reprint omnibuu unfortunately, but they also generally put them out not terribly long after a run wraps (or, at least, there's enough issues to fill one), but not until other collections (OSHC, TPB) are done. If Waid is legitimately done with the start of Secret Wars, I'd expect an omnibus within a year at most.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Mahasamatman posted:

I prefer the OSCH. They are easier to read and if you buy the three Waid books online it will cost you $40-60 bucks for about 40 issues of comics.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg

sporklift posted:

I prefer the OSCH. They are easier to read and if you buy the three Waid books online it will cost you $40-60 bucks for about 40 issues of comics.

Yeah, I'm just being a dumbass. I'll go for paperbacks and OSHC. Thanks, guys.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

But omnibuses look better on a bookshelf.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I picked up the Fraction FF/F4 collection. Mainly because FF was just so awesome but his FF is reading a lot better as a collection than it did as individual monthly issues.

His FF though is still loving awesome.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

obi_ant posted:

But omnibuses look better on a bookshelf.

And often times if you break down the cost per issue they are a pretty cheap way to go. I dig my omnis but the X-Statix, Thor, Invisibles can be a pain to read. Did anyone pick up The Big Hard Sex Criminals? I found the cover under the dust jacket pretty funny.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Does anyone own the Geoff Johns Flash Omnibus volumes? How are they? I see I can get them for $50, $45, and $60 on Amazon, and I remember the few issues I read being pretty good. But I'm also thinking it might be a little cheaper to track down the individual issues if I can average about a buck each, and then get them bound. It would take longer and be a lot more effort, but I find that kind of thing fun, now that I'm hardly buying any comics or toys anymore.

But most importantly, did his Flash run stay good, and is it worth owning for that kind of money?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Does anyone own the Geoff Johns Flash Omnibus volumes? How are they? I see I can get them for $50, $45, and $60 on Amazon, and I remember the few issues I read being pretty good. But I'm also thinking it might be a little cheaper to track down the individual issues if I can average about a buck each, and then get them bound. It would take longer and be a lot more effort, but I find that kind of thing fun, now that I'm hardly buying any comics or toys anymore.

But most importantly, did his Flash run stay good, and is it worth owning for that kind of money?

It's probably still cheaper to get the Omni's as the Captain Cold issue is close to $10 and the ZOOM issues are a bit pricey and can be harder to find.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it stays pretty consistently great all the way through Rogue War, which is the conclusion of his big Wally West run. i didn't read Flash: Rebirth or the Barry Allen stuff that came after but i didn't hear good things.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I got the GL omni today in a sale so I can't comment on the material yet. However, while still not the same quality as a Marvel Omnibus, the binding on the book itself it pretty good. Had a scan through the book earlier and didn't see any severe gutter loss. The amount of material collected means the first and last 200 pages won't lie flat but it's a vast improvement over their previous efforts. Paper quality seems pretty good as well.

One thing to keep in mind though is that this is a heavy book. It's not as bad as the Invisibles omnibus released a while back but is still pretty unwieldy. Keep that in mind if it's an issue for you

If you get them custom bound you can stagger the material over more volumes so it'll not have the same problem (though it'll end up more expensive).

Edit: Well crap, I misread. I saw Geoff Johns and my mind jumped ahead of me. Sorry about that.

Nyeehg fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 3, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I think they might be starting up a TPB reprint series later this year.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It's probably still cheaper to get the Omni's as the Captain Cold issue is close to $10 and the ZOOM issues are a bit pricey and can be harder to find.

Awesome! I found the Captain Cold issue (#182) in a dollar bin yesterday and bought it because I love Cold on the show and always heard good things about that story. There were several other issues from his run there too. Not all of them, but at least a third, maybe half, and possibly more buried in other boxes. That's what got me thinking about it, this used bookstore warehouse that opens once in a while, with hundreds of longboxes of unsorted comics, all for a buck apiece. A patient enough man might be able to piece a complete run together.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it stays pretty consistently great all the way through Rogue War, which is the conclusion of his big Wally West run. i didn't read Flash: Rebirth or the Barry Allen stuff that came after but i didn't hear good things.

I hated Rebirth and wasn't impressed by his Barry Allen run, aside from gorgeous art by Francis Manapul. I'd only be interested in collecting his 2000-2005 Wally West run, which is probably 60-something issues.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think they might be starting up a TPB reprint series later this year.

Good to know, thank you. But that means they'll sell for full price, and DC will stagger them out for years and possibly cancel them in the middle. I'm thinking either spring for the three Omnibus volumes or have fun hunting for the singles.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 4, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Awesome! I found the Captain Cold issue (#182) in a dollar bin yesterday and bought it because I love Cold on the show and always heard good things about that story. There were several other issues from his run there too. Not all of them, but at least a third, maybe half, and possibly more buried in other boxes. That's what got me thinking about it, this used bookstore warehouse that opens once in a while, with hundreds of longboxes of unsorted comics, all for a buck apiece. A patient enough man might be able to piece a complete run together.

Well you're at a good start. I just know I had a customer who wanted the full run and we couldn't piece it together for less than $200 a few years ago.I even checked Diamond for the Omnis so see if I could get you a good deal but they're out of 1 & 2.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Well you're at a good start. I just know I had a customer who wanted the full run and we couldn't piece it together for less than $200 a few years ago.I even checked Diamond for the Omnis so see if I could get you a good deal but they're out of 1 & 2.

Thank you for checking, as always! $50 and $45 seem reasonable (the Amazon prices for 1 and 2), but I'm reading that the out of print Omnibus 3 had several pages printed out of order, which is already an annoyance. And all the TPBs are long since out of print and looking pricey.

Amazon is also showing a Flash by Geoff Johns Book One TPB with the same contents as Omnibus 1, with a cover price of $40 and a preorder price of $29.49, which seems like a great deal if we get two more like it. But the listing says it's coming December 1st (way to move fast winning over the fans of your hot new show, guys!), and DC will probably either stagger out the next two volumes once per year or just lose interest and give up in the middle.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well let's be fair, those comics are mostly about Wally so DC gives no fucks. There's plenty of Barry books available right now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Amazon is also showing a Flash by Geoff Johns Book One TPB with the same contents as Omnibus 1, with a cover price of $40 and a preorder price of $29.49, which seems like a great deal if we get two more like it. But the listing says it's coming December 1st (way to move fast winning over the fans of your hot new show, guys!), and DC will probably either stagger out the next two volumes once per year or just lose interest and give up in the middle.

I reckon there will be more than three; the first omnibus is pretty skinny compared to the second and third. I'm not surprised the whole thing could go in one paperback, but I reckon you'd need at least two each to cover the others.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I noticed an Avengers and New Avengers Hardcover releasing on Wednesday. It's the first 12 issues. Is this an oversized hardcover version or just normal sized? I have the complete run (so far) in digital editions, but I wanted to buy it in print once it was available in nicer omnibus like quality.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gfanikf posted:

I noticed an Avengers and New Avengers Hardcover releasing on Wednesday. It's the first 12 issues. Is this an oversized hardcover version or just normal sized? I have the complete run (so far) in digital editions, but I wanted to buy it in print once it was available in nicer omnibus like quality.

Oversized, the first 13 issues of Avengers and the first 12 of New Avengers. A little overlap with the Infinity HC but at least you'll have it in OSHC across the board.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhyno posted:

Oversized, the first 13 issues of Avengers and the first 12 of New Avengers. A little overlap with the Infinity HC but at least you'll have it in OSHC across the board.

:magical:

Well I can always finish building my AR SBR later.

Has anyone used Cheapgraphicnovel.com before? For some reason them and Tales of wonder get it in earlier then Amazon by three weeks. That said I wanted to use CheapGN as they offer priority shipping and not just black hole media mail.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gfanikf posted:

:magical:

Well I can always finish building my AR SBR later.

Has anyone used Cheapgraphicnovel.com before? For some reason them and Tales of wonder get it in earlier then Amazon by three weeks. That said I wanted to use CheapGN as they offer priority shipping and not just black hole media mail.
CGN and ToW are both comic shops and utilize Diamond, so they get stuff before Amazon which uses other book distributors. CGN is good, though they use the cheapest, slowest shipping, so don't expect two days like Amazon Prime, if that matters.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endless Mike posted:

CGN and ToW are both comic shops and utilize Diamond, so they get stuff before Amazon which uses other book distributors. CGN is good, though they use the cheapest, slowest shipping, so don't expect two days like Amazon Prime, if that matters.

Interesting, that explains why they get it faster. Yeah I noticed the reliance on Media Mail so I paid the extra :tenbux: for priority mail. My only concern is if that they ship quickly, since otherwise it defeats the purpose of paying for priority if it takes 3 days or something to ship on top of everything.

Hopefully it ships today since oddly they mentioned today as the release date vs tomorrow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They received their stock today and are technically not supposed to mail anything out until tomorrow.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhyno posted:

They received their stock today and are technically not supposed to mail anything out until tomorrow.

Well hopefully they send it out anyway...I mean besides I think most publishers would feel that sending it out before street as long as a customer doesn't get before street is fine and just ignored. I mean they use priority and media mail, no one is getting it release day.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

gfanikf posted:

Well hopefully they send it out anyway...I mean besides I think most publishers would feel that sending it out before street as long as a customer doesn't get before street is fine and just ignored. I mean they use priority and media mail, no one is getting it release day.

Not really.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I shouldn't have gotten priority? :smith:

Oh well lesson learned...it's just I hate media mail. This is from long ago back when you could mail dvds and how long it took and now from CA to PA...not fun.

Still I have paying less then a TPB of four issues or so would cost in a LCS.

Edit: They shipped! :unsmith:

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 7, 2015

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I used CGN before. Cheap shipping but some of their prices are a lot lower than Amazon

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

notthegoatseguy posted:

I used CGN before. Cheap shipping but some of their prices are a lot lower than Amazon

For me it was cheaper still even using priority mail and far earlier.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was just looking at some of the newly announced collections that you can pre-order on Amazon. I'm curious about what the "Guardians of the Galaxy Solo Classic Omnibus" will include.

Going back a bit but it looks like:

quote:

COLLECTING: INCREDIBLE HULK (1968) 271, ANNUAL 5; IRON MAN (1968) 55; CAPTAIN MARVEL (1968) 27-33,
43-44, 58-62; STRANGE TALES (1951) 180-181; WARLOCK (1972) 9-11, 15; AVENGERS (1963) 219-220, ANNUAL
7; MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE ANNUAL 2; MARVEL PREVIEW 11; MARVEL SPOTLIGHT (1979) 1-2, 6-7; MARVEL
PREMIERE 61; ROCKET RACCOON (1985) 1-4; STAR-LORD SPECIAL EDITION & MORE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Shameless posted:

Going back a bit but it looks like:

It should also include Strange Tales 178 and 179, so it would have the whole Magus Saga