Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
I'm sure the guy whose last game treated gay people with actual respect and had a realistic treatment of a rape survivor was bowing down to SJWs....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The Kins posted:

Wait... Obsidian has a QA process?

Their problem isn't that they have bad QA, it's that they almost exclusively make big and complex games with a lot of potential for things to go wrong.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
All the best games feature rape survival.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Comparing the wizard spell list to anyone else it's really hard to see if there's any reason I should pick them over any other spellcasting type. They do have massive amounts of damage, true, but they've got basically only a handful of spells that would work in close packed fights.

Slicken is brokenly overpowered and enough reason to take a Wizard on its own. Wizards also get Dispel, AoE Confuse (a fantastic opener which can easily turn half of an enemy group into allies for a few seconds, letting you follow up with offensive spells), AoE Blind, a strong single-target paralysis spell, and some okay damage spells. They're not dedicated DPS like the Druid, and their single-target CC isn't as strong as a Cipher early-level, but they have more versatility and ridiculously overpowered AoE CC.

Kanfy posted:

I think people are a bit too married to the D&D definition of Wizards which is "poo poo tons of damage everywhere".

This hasn't been the D&D definition of Wizards in at least 15 years, if not more. If you've ever played D&D, you know Wizards are there for CC, not damage spells, so those people wouldn't assume that Wizards are there to throw fireballs around. :shrug:

(That said, Wizards are actually fairly decent blasters in PoE, it's just that every damage spell you throw around means a CC spell you didn't cast, and Druids are dedicated blasters anyway.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 1, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I consider the third option, where it got in because no one really cares one way or another.

Obsidian apparently talked to the backer who had it put in and even they didn't give a drat if it was removed.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Dr Sun Try posted:

I'm sure the guy whose last game treated gay people with actual respect and had a realistic treatment of a rape survivor was bowing down to SJWs....

What exactly does this have to do with anything?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Same. I'm playing Pier Solar HD, there is no way Neptunia 2 is that dire.

I finished the first Neptunia on ps3 and it was...mediocre. I started the second one and it seemed like an improvement, and this is a re-release of some kind, so it's probably at least tolerable as long as you aren't the type who goes into a berserker rage at the sight of anime.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kanfy posted:

Their problem isn't that they have bad QA, it's that they almost exclusively make big and complex games with a lot of potential for things to go wrong.
So you're telling me that nobody involved in the Backer Beta considered double-clicking an inventory item instead of drag-and-dropping it? At least Ubisoft pays their useless testers, instead of vice versa.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

WMain00 posted:

I was mocking your notion that Obsidian was bowing down to "SJW pressure".
Look at Sawyers previous work and you might notice that transphobic jokes don't really fit in.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

WMain00 posted:

It's about ethics in video games limericks.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The Kins posted:

So you're telling me that nobody involved in the Backer Beta considered double-clicking an inventory item instead of drag-and-dropping it? At least Ubisoft pays their useless testers, instead of vice versa.

No doubt plenty of people did, but it's a really subtle bug if you don't know about it. One passive disappearing from a list of 7 active effects or whatever is not something immediately obvious, and connecting it to something completely ordinary like equipping armor is even less so.

I mean, even after the game's release nobody had a clue about it until a couple of days later when some guy on reddit or wherever pointed it out.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Odobenidae posted:

It's about ethics in video games limericks.

There once was a gender-fluid from Nantucket
Whose twin-spirit was so weak zhe could cuck it.
Zhe said with a grin
As zhe wiped off zhes chin,
"If my ear was a oval office I could KILL ALL CIS SCUMMMMMMMM"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanfy posted:

No doubt plenty of people did, but it's a really subtle bug if you don't know about it. One passive disappearing from a list of 7 active effects or whatever is not something immediately obvious, and connecting it to something completely ordinary like equipping armor is even less so.

I mean, even after the game's release nobody had a clue about it until a couple of days later when some guy on reddit or wherever pointed it out.

Apparently it's a bug that wasn't present in the press code/final backer beta and was introduced in between that and the actual release, which would be why they didn't spot it before launch (they probably rushed QA on the final patch, which would probably also be why they're making drat sure the fix is QA'd properly).

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Once I figured out that the tombstones and gold npcs in town were just rando crap that backers paid for I started skipping all of it, and it was the right call

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Once I figured out that the tombstones and gold npcs in town were just rando crap that backers paid for I started skipping all of it, and it was the right call

Can you just kill them all? :black101:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

duckfarts posted:

Yes, you can. Its actually a smart strategy to kill one of them in the first town because they drop good armor and are weak.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

duckfarts posted:

Hell ya :black101:

So far I've only found one NPC who I tried to murder and couldn't because she was already dead it turned out

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is on sale and it's a really cool game for this price.

It's from the main game designer of Bulletstorm and Painkiller :v: but also it's really gorgeous and takes the environment exploration genre into new heights with actually cool interactive mechanics and gruesome murder mysteries to uncover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsHppcIcpfM

Actually it's more of an adventure game with environment exploration elements incorporated into it.

Also a month after release the devs published an infographic detailing the number of sales on Steam and some details, I think it's pretty cool:

Palpek fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 1, 2015

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

WMain00 posted:

I'm guessing just the fact that the people mad about this on SA are putting up a larger uproar then anything that actually happened.

Someone tweeted Sawyer asking if he knew it was in the game. He said nope, and it was removed in 12 hours because look at Obsidians writing style/chatacters, its obvious that doesn't fit in with what they believe. They've been writing strong female and LGBT characters since KotOR2.

Then Totalbiscuit wrote a 2-3 hour long rant about how much he hates trans people, how the person who wrote the tweet doesn't have a sex life so they wouldn't understand how terrifying trans people are, and more. Then Reddit started screaming about how Obsidians free speech was being taken away, and ended up chasing the person who tweeted it off twitter/found out who they were in real life and started harassing them there.

Comparatively we've had two? people ask if it's still in the game on SA across both threads.

Someone sure has been in an uproar alright, and trying to keep it trending. Not sure it's the people who tweeted Sawyer politely and then had to go into hiding though. Or the 2-3 goons that don't follow threads religiously that it bothers.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kanfy posted:

I think people are a bit too married to the D&D definition of Wizards which is "poo poo tons of damage everywhere". Wizards in PoE are a jack-of-all-trades class and they were never designed to be top damage dealers, but instead have a large variety of abilities for a large variety of situations.

Also the spell is called Slicken and it alone makes Wizards worthwhile because it's hilarious to watch 8 ogres simultaneously slip and fall down, complete with a screen-shake effect when they hit the ground.

Using a D&D wizard for damage is the dumbest build you can use. Wizards are crowd control, and have dozens of spells that completely disable, or effectively kill whole groups of monsters, from first level on. They also have insane buffs; protection from evil flat out prevents all mind affecting spells, haste turns your whole party into a murder mob just to name two. Direct damage wizards are gimps by comparison.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Obligatory "That sure is a lot of Steam posts... :yikes:" post.

Also your reminder that the Dark Souls 2 GOTY edition comes out today, and that for some insane reason the Dx9 and Dx11 versions will have separate store pages so be careful which you buy, if you buy it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rookersh posted:

Then Totalbiscuit wrote a 2-3 hour long rant about how much he hates trans people, how the person who wrote the tweet doesn't have a sex life so they wouldn't understand how terrifying trans people are, and more.

lmao Seriously? That's lovely.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Holy poo poo, I only now noticed that Badland is coming to Steam. It's one of the best ios games that I actually wanted to see on PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko4EeYfYsBI

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Rookersh posted:

I'm guessing just the fact that the people mad about this on SA are putting up a larger uproar then anything that actually happened.

Someone tweeted Sawyer asking if he knew it was in the game. He said nope, and it was removed in 12 hours because look at Obsidians writing style/chatacters, its obvious that doesn't fit in with what they believe. They've been writing strong female and LGBT characters since KotOR2.

Then Totalbiscuit wrote a 2-3 hour long rant about how much he hates trans people, how the person who wrote the tweet doesn't have a sex life so they wouldn't understand how terrifying trans people are, and more. Then Reddit started screaming about how Obsidians free speech was being taken away, and ended up chasing the person who tweeted it off twitter/found out who they were in real life and started harassing them there.

Comparatively we've had two? people ask if it's still in the game on SA across both threads.

Someone sure has been in an uproar alright, and trying to keep it trending. Not sure it's the people who tweeted Sawyer politely and then had to go into hiding though. Or the 2-3 goons that don't follow threads religiously that it bothers.

Total Biscuit always takes a retarded internet problem and just shoves it right up to the next level :allears:

I hope whoever paid $500 gets a replacement joke or $480 back or something

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Palpek posted:

Holy poo poo, I only now noticed that Badland is coming to Steam. It's one of the best ios games that I actually wanted to see on PC.

Aw, I read that first sentence and hoped that you'd accidentally omitted an "s":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXy0UJMI9i0

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Total Biscuit always takes a retarded internet problem and just shoves it right up to the next level :allears:

I hope whoever paid $500 gets a replacement joke or $480 back or something

Total biscuit always sides with the position that looks to be the more popular one at that moment.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Rookersh posted:

Other idiocy aside, how can people still be so completely ignorant of what “free speech” actually means as to point to a clear case of it being exercised and somehow misconstrue it as an example of being robbed of that very same freedom?!

:cripes:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

That's not a limerick. :colbert:

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Rookersh posted:

Then Totalbiscuit wrote a 2-3 hour long rant about how much he hates trans people, how the person who wrote the tweet doesn't have a sex life so they wouldn't understand how terrifying trans people are, and more.

I'm pretty sure that didn't actually happen but since the only way to prove that would be to listen to totalbiscuit I guess I'll never know.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
How did they fix it without a patch? Are the tombstones fetched on-the-fly from some server?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, the most ridiculous thing about the Pillars of Eternity story here is that within hours of the off-colour joke being spotted, both Obsidian and the backer who wrote it both agreed it was out of line and would be cut next patch. Story over. Problem solved.

And then TB (who has had his wagon hitched to the screeching, SWATing, Gamergate mob for a while now) jumped in declaring this censorship of the first order, because he's a complete wanker.

There'd literally be no story here were it not for the 'FREE SPEECH IS BEING DESTROYED BY POLITICAL CORRECTNESS' idiots.

robziel posted:

I'm pretty sure that didn't actually happen but since the only way to prove that would be to listen to totalbiscuit I guess I'll never know.

It wasn't a 2-3 hour rant, admittedly.

It was a 12 minute audio log explaining that the joke (despite being just an out-of-character backer comment) was totally lore-friendly and must be kept on those grounds, and that transgender people passing as cis could be considered rape.

I am not joking.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 1, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The thing does baffle me slightly, as Obsidian are one of the very few developers with writers that actually deal with sensitive subjects in a mature manner and LGBT representation in their games has been very good (to the point where people actually complain that there's a disparate amount of gay characters in their games :v:)

It seems like a case where they weren't aware of it, it was pointed it out, they contacted the guy who put it in and said "This isn't really cool with us, we're going to take it out?" and the guy agreed and that was that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ddraig posted:

It seems like a case where they weren't aware of it, it was pointed it out, they contacted the guy who put it in and said "This isn't really cool with us, we're going to take it out?" and the guy agreed and that was that.

This is literally what happened; they mea culpa'd and said it slipped through because they had so much of the comments to vet, and everyone agreed it was lovely.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Agean90 posted:

Oh hey, spore creatures/fampyres , thats not to ba- wait why is greiving mother dominated now her arbalest just ko'd durance gently caress
what the gently caress is this sentence

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Great Joe posted:

what the gently caress is this sentence

:thatspoe:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In actually funny April Fools content, apparently Dying Light is having a one-day event/patch thingy that gives everyone super-strength.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1cUe3Cvk28

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Have patches fixed all the problems with Hotline Miami 2 yet? Watching the new season of Danger 5 has me hankering for some more delicious 80s action.

Kanfy posted:

I'd have to go with this... What open world RPG shipped without a shitload of bugs?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The last game Obsidian had complete control of, and it wasn't an open world game, was Dungeon Siege 3, and amazingly that was incredibly competently made without very many bugs, if any.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I had no idea about this bug. Might explain a few things:

quote:

The first bug happens when you save and load a game in an area where you picked up a follower. If said follower is having any bonus to stats from whatever (eg. a magic ring) these bonuses will stack an become permanent every time you load that savegame. Eg. if you put a +50 enducance ring on Eder and save and load in Gilded Vale this bonus will become permanent, and it will stack as many times as you save/lad in this area. Eder can become pretty invincible from this. The same happens to other followers in the areas where they are picked up. This bug is probably the reason why many people find the game too easy, even on "Hard".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ddraig posted:

The last game Obsidian had complete control of, and it wasn't an open world game, was Dungeon Siege 3, and amazingly that was incredibly competently made without very many bugs, if any.

It wasn't a very ambitious game, though. More of a linear action-RPG/brawler hybrid. No doubt it was polished though.

Just remember that Baldur's Gate 2 needed about 8 years of fan-patching until everything was properly squared away. Big RPGs are effectively impossible to test fully with any traditional 5-50 person QA team. You need to throw hundreds or thousands of players at it to find everything.

Just remember how many patches Skyrim got before everything stabilized. I do still kinda miss the mammoths falling from the sky, though.

• Locked thread