Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Regy Rusty posted:

You never thought to use items defensively?
Well I mean I'd use them defensively by firing shells backwards or laying banana peels behind me. I didn't think to try holding a banana peel behind me to take the shell hit for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

Wait seriously? I can't believe I never thought to try that. That might make the red shells a bit more manageable.

i'm pretty sure you're sincereposting but i can't figure out how you could play this game and not realize it. its honestly adorable.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

jivjov posted:

Was a date given for the Codename STEAM fast forward patch? I'm planning on picking it up, but not until I can fast forward.

I'm wondering this too since I am getting Codename STEAM from Gamefly next week.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's one of the core Mario Kart techniques since the very beginning so it's pretty remarkable.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

epsilon posted:

i'm pretty sure you're sincereposting but i can't figure out how you could play this game and not realize it. its honestly adorable.
I only just got Mario Kart 7 a couple days ago, and I haven't played a Mario Kart game since the SNES version back when it was new. I'm very new to the game and not that great and kinda learning as I go. :kiddo:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Redeemed my poo poo on Club Nintendo. Still had the coins and the reward notice. Redeemed again, coins worked, reward didn't.

Yay free Starfox 64. It's me, I'm the guy that is the reason they had to close this poo poo down.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Do games in the eShop ever go on sale? Just seems kinda crazy that Ocarina of Time is still $40...

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Smoremaster posted:

Do games in the eShop ever go on sale? Just seems kinda crazy that Ocarina of Time is still $40...

atlus and level 5 poo poo goes on sale all the time. First party nintendo stuff though? fat chance.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

mabels big day posted:

atlus and level 5 poo poo goes on sale all the time. First party nintendo stuff though? fat chance.

Interesting thing is Atlus used to never have sales and after a whole ton of complaints on their forum about full prices PSP games on Vita they went buck wild with sales.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mabels big day posted:

Eh, first party does, but like, once a year around the holidays, max. They had some pretty good sales around the time Smash Bros was coming out.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

The Kenster posted:

I was actually really confused about this when playing the other day. Good word of advice to anybody picking it up, there are like ten courses but they aren't unlocked by doing the standard tournaments in the castle club, they're unlocked by going into the freeplay mode and doing the challenges.

But yeah, I picked up Mario Golf: World Tour as a platinum reward and I have been absolutely loving it. It was a bit of a riddle how to putt at first but once you get a feel for it it's really satisfying to make the ball go where you want it to go. Definitely the recommended pickup if you have platinum status and a 3DS.

Aren't those the 9 hole courses that are unlocked like that? Although those are really fun. At any rate getting this as a Platinum award and buying the dlc seems like a great deal, not sure I'd feel the same if I bought the game outright though.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The developers of Mario Golf were the original developers on Hot Shots golf, the similarities aren't a coincidence.

Yeah, the DLC is all 18-hole courses based on courses from the N64 game. There is (was?) a trial tournament that lets you sample them without putting any money down.

That makes sense. They've clearly been paying attention to Clap Hanz as well since some of the features are from newer HSG games, or they both just thought of the same things.

I think the trial tournaments are still there, yeah.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

It's one of the core Mario Kart techniques since the very beginning so it's pretty remarkable.

I'm a little fuzzy on the details since it's been a while since I've played, but I distinctly remember not being able to hold my item in one of the newer Mario Karts. I want to say 8 changed the way holding items worked?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

fount of knowledge posted:

I'm a little fuzzy on the details since it's been a while since I've played, but I distinctly remember not being able to hold my item in one of the newer Mario Karts. I want to say 8 changed the way holding items worked?

The only change is that you can no longer both hold an item behind you and pick up a new one from an item box.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

fount of knowledge posted:

MK8 doesn't let you hold an item behind you and have another item in reserve.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You couldn't hold stuff behind you in Double Dash but you could dodge red shells with the drift boost thing which is something I miss

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the loading screens in mario golf are insanely sick

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is every Atlus game just 50 bucks now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Etrian Mystery Dungeon isn't! :v: But yeah, it's probably just better to wait for a sale on those.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tae posted:

It wasn't so long ago, before everything being digital was a big thing, that if you didn't pick up an Atlus game (or anything with a limited print run) as soon as it was released your chance of getting one for a reasonable price was zero.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tae posted:

You can probably get a copy of Conception 2 for pretty cheap :v:

Etrian Mystery Dungeon gonna be so good

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tae posted:

Wait a year or so and it'll be going on sale for 20 every other week.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The EO1 remake was at $20 within months of release.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm pretty sure it was $15 like last week

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Redeemed my poo poo on Club Nintendo. Still had the coins and the reward notice. Redeemed again, coins worked, reward didn't.

Yay free Starfox 64. It's me, I'm the guy that is the reason they had to close this poo poo down.

lucky bastard. I got the same thing with coins but when I try to use them after already redeeming them I just get the wario picture :(

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

raditts posted:

The EO1 remake was at $20 within months of release.

Is this remake any good? I tried EO4 and couldn't get into it, but one that has a set story with set characters might be more down my alley.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Variable_H posted:

Is this remake any good? I tried EO4 and couldn't get into it, but one that has a set story with set characters might be more down my alley.

Give it a try! It's not a fantastic story, but the set party makes for a good easing into the series. You can download the demo for free and that should give you a good idea of whether or not you'll like the whole game (it's literally the first few floors of the game and your save will carry over to the full version).

And then if you like it you can go back to EO4 and probably get as addicted to the games as I have...

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mechanically EO: Untold isn't as good as 4, but in my opinion it's still really good. Also if you're weird and don't like to make your own maps you can set it to automatically fill in the floor and walls for you.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Give it a try! It's not a fantastic story, but the set party makes for a good easing into the series. You can download the demo for free and that should give you a good idea of whether or not you'll like the whole game (it's literally the first few floors of the game and your save will carry over to the full version).

And then if you like it you can go back to EO4 and probably get as addicted to the games as I have...

Cool, I'll download the demo next week when I finally get a new, and New, 3DS.

Saagonsa posted:

Mechanically EO: Untold isn't as good as 4, but in my opinion it's still really good. Also if you're weird and don't like to make your own maps you can set it to automatically fill in the floor and walls for you.

Nice. The mapping dynamic had me really confused on EO4 as I'd never played RPGs that required mapping before.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 5, 2015

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Tyma posted:

Europe gets :

Black (no game)
Blue (no game)
Majora's Mask (digital copy)
Monster Hunter 4 (digital copy)

If you're importing from Europe, you may as well get the (non-xl) New 3DS, which is a lot lighter than the N3DSXL, but has larger screens than the older 3DS and 2DS models, so it's the best of both worlds. It comes in black or white, and uses the same interchangable cover plates as the Japanese model.

Is there any real difference in the items other than colour, if I purchase them in US or EU? Can someone from EU purchase a New 3DS XL in US and use it in EU as if it was bought there?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Phosphia posted:

Is there any real difference in the items other than colour, if I purchase them in US or EU? Can someone from EU purchase a New 3DS XL in US and use it in EU as if it was bought there?

Nope (to the latter question). Everything about the 3DS region locked, whether buying physical carts or digital games. So don't buy a system from a different region unless you're willing to embrace what this entails.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Saagonsa posted:

Also if you're weird and don't like to make your own maps you can set it to automatically fill in the floor and walls for you.

This kind of person truly disgusts me.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Picked up a copy of Mario Golf World Tour, and I'm blown away by the fact that I'm having fun playing a golf game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Golf has always made a better video game than a sport, I'm glad you've seen the light.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Finally figured out where Challenges are (they aren't in the castle, they're in quick play :doh:) and started playing as Waluigi. Got an Eagle and my god, I'm never gonna play as another character ever again. :swoon:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

Picked up a copy of Mario Golf World Tour, and I'm blown away by the fact that I'm having fun playing a golf game.

Mario Golf's only problem is that you hit a plateau very quickly. All the best gear and courses can be unlocked in less than 10 hours, and then it's pretty much just doing challenges with no real reward or doing tournaments with no real reward - not even bragging rights as an actual human will never break top 10 in anything.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Saagonsa posted:

I actually like the story mode in it a lot better than the usual EO gameplay. There's some big issues with option paralysis when trying to make and level a party in most EO games since there's just so many variables involved, and a relatively large time investment to complete the game. Having a pre-made party as an option guarantees at least a competent group and lets you get a good feel for the game, what skills are valuable or not, and so on without having to worry about your whether your party makeup is a culprit on top of it too. It's a much better way to get into the series, since once you have that knowledge a lot of it applies to the other games too.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 5, 2015

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Fryhtaning posted:

Mario Golf's only problem is that you hit a plateau very quickly. All the best gear and courses can be unlocked in less than 10 hours, and then it's pretty much just doing challenges with no real reward or doing tournaments with no real reward - not even bragging rights as an actual human will never break top 10 in anything.

More like hit a brick wall. I got to like the second course challenge or whatever it is and continually get beaten right at the end by an AI that seems to be loving god like.

It's a game that requires genuine skill to play. Skill i don't have :(

I haven't played it in months.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

homeless snail posted:

Golf has always made a better video game than a sport, I'm glad you've seen the light.

This is one of those strange video game conundrums. But it's true.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Miniature Golf, on the other hand, owns in real life but there has never been a good mini golf game (or if there is someone tell me RIGHT NOW)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mario Golf 64 had mini golf and it owned.