Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheep-Goats posted:

20km outside of a major city can be a good thing depending on your temperament. I don't know anything specifically about this school/location so take anything I say with a grain of salt, but in general schools do what they can to stress how good their location is when trying to attract foreign help. This means that something like "near Bangkok" really means an hour's bus ride from the shrimp farm ghetto that tapers out to the south of the city for miles and miles, meaning like two hours to get to anything anyone would call Bangkok if they weren't selling something on a good traffic day. Any time going somewhere results in you strongly considering getting a hotel room and making it a two day thing I don't think you can really consider the two locations to be the same. Presumably you're looking at getting out of China because you've heard that it's a lot better to live in SE Asia but going to the gulags may erode some of what you're looking for. Depending, of course, on what you're looking for.

I have been in the states for a couple years now. I could never live in Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos or I would go native and never come back. I feel like Malaysia or Indonesia would be less corrupting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

NaanViolence posted:

I feel like Malaysia or Indonesia would be less corrupting.

I don't know about Indonesia or rural Malaysia but I think I could definitely live in KL or Georgetown. I mean, I have lived in Georgetown, albeit for only six months when I was sixteen years old, and despite only having been back a few times since I could happily spend a lot more time there. Downtown Georgetown has changed immeasurably and part of me wants to contribute to the massive unaffordability of real estate by renovating an old shop house (but I can't even afford one to renovate).

My view of KL if probably a bit tainted by my friends who live there and the antics we get up to when I'm in town. I don't think living there would be the same, but it would probably come close on weekends.

The only requirement I have for living there is some magic potion that makes all of my sweat glands disappear, because gently caress me I've never sweat so much in my life as I have in KL/Penang on all but the coldest days. I could just suck down glycopyrrolate or oxybutynin tablets all day long but they're more of a temporary fix and the side effects can be unpleasant.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Finch! posted:

The only requirement I have for living there is some magic potion that makes all of my sweat glands disappear, because gently caress me I've never sweat so much in my life as I have in KL/Penang on all but the coldest days. I could just suck down glycopyrrolate or oxybutynin tablets all day long but they're more of a temporary fix and the side effects can be unpleasant.

drat, I'd love some magic fix that would make me sweat 50% less or something, I'm stubborn and want to keep living in hot countries but I always sweat like a typical westerner pig.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Senso posted:

drat, I'd love some magic fix that would make me sweat 50% less or something, I'm stubborn and want to keep living in hot countries but I always sweat like a typical westerner pig.

My Australian (but Penang born) GP has prescribed Ditropan (oxybutynin) for temporary (one to three hours) sweat reduction/elimination. 10mg does the job, but side effects for me are a particularly dry mouth and glue-like mucus. I haven't tried running in KL heat/humidity, but it works well for general living. Takes around an hour to kick in fully, and it's a night and day difference. I wouldn't want to use it all day, every day, though.

My other doctor friends are all like "Oh yeah, we prescribe that in higher dosages to incontinent old people because it stops them pissing themselves every five minutes" so it might just be the perfect drug to take for long beer drinking sessions in the tropics: minimal sweat, and you don't have to pee every ten minutes after the sixth beer.

I haven't tried glycopyrrolate because as far as we can tell it doesn't exist in tablet form in Australia, but there are places that sell it online and ship internationally (pharmacy.ca are one). I've no idea if it will be allowed through Australian customs though.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
I feel like I'd rather just go around dehydrated rather than taking pills to dehydrate myself, no?

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

CronoGamer posted:

I feel like I'd rather just go around dehydrated rather than taking pills to dehydrate myself, no?

They don't dehydrate, they're anticholinergics. One of the most common side effects is sweat reduction.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

They sound really dangerous. Just sweat it out like the dirty white devil you are.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Songkran in Chiang Mai: good idea or not?

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Negligent posted:

You won't be able to drive anywhere during daytime. You won't be able to ride/bike anywhere dry.

Other than that, it's fun in chaotic, crowdy sort of way.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Alright well I gave my credit card info to Nok Air, hopefully this is a good decision

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

scunish posted:

-We are both big, big, big on animals being treated humanely. But, we are also big on interacting with weird animals that we don't get to see in Southern California. We'd both love to ride an elephant, but from what I hear there's no way to really do that ethically - so are there any animal interaction-type-things that we can do and not want to stab eyes out?

You can ride and swim with elephants in Kanchanaburi, Thailand, and they are most assuredly treated humanely. They even have fun.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

One of my life goals is to be in Thailand for Songkran at least once every five years until I hate it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

As of today (iOS 8.3) Siri on iPhone now supports Thai language which is neat.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Siri, khaa, wan nee, Paragon boed mai khaaa?

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

eviljelly posted:

One of my life goals is to be in Thailand for Songkran at least once every five years until I hate it.

I was on Tao for Songkran last year. It was a bit insane. I'm pretty sure the afternoon/evening ended with jug upon jug of sangria on the rafts offshore Maya. I broke about six water cannons and wore a bucket on my head, not realising that a) the bucket hurt my nose, and b) I could see as much as Stevie Wonder. The rest is a bit of a blur.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Finch! posted:

I was on Tao for Songkran last year. It was a bit insane. I'm pretty sure the afternoon/evening ended with jug upon jug of sangria on the rafts offshore Maya. I broke about six water cannons and wore a bucket on my head, not realising that a) the bucket hurt my nose, and b) I could see as much as Stevie Wonder. The rest is a bit of a blur.

Yeah it's insane on Koh Tao, maybe because it's only one day so everyone feels like they need to squeeze every little bit of Songkran out in one go. I gave up on water guns/cannons early in the day and went straight for buckets. We filled our equipment cleaning basins full of ice from the ice shop next door and made a bucket brigade. More than one instructor was dunked in said ice filled basins. Ahhhh good times.

One of my last memories before the 'blur' was jumping into the Office pool with my camera in my pocket. Oops! I woke up in my house but I had left my bag (and keys in it) at the dive shop. To this day I still have no idea how I got in.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

eviljelly posted:

One of my last memories before the 'blur' was jumping into the Office pool with my camera in my pocket. Oops! I woke up in my house but I had left my bag (and keys in it) at the dive shop. To this day I still have no idea how I got in.

Ha. Never ever ever go in the Office pool. It's filthy.

That said, I did my first few rebreather dives in there... with all the ladyboy juices and so on. No wonder I was so buoyant :barf:

Where did you live? Some places are a nightmare to break into... I once lost my house keys and ended up sleeping on the Banyan couches until the clinic was open the next day and I could hit Pom up for a spare key. My place was up the hill on the left just before Pidangs, in those concrete and brick bungalows and the multi level Korean guest house/restaurant.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 9, 2015

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Finch! posted:

Ha. Never ever ever go in the Office pool. It's filthy.

That said, I did my first few rebreather dives in there... with all the ladyboy juices and so on. No wonder I was so buoyant :sick:

Where did you live? Some places are a nightmare to break into... I once lost my house keys and ended up sleeping on the Banyan couches until the clinic was open the next day and I could hit Pom up for a spare key. My place was up the hill on the left just before Pidangs, in those concrete and brick bungalows and the multi level Korean guest house/restaurant.

I would never have entered the Office pool if I was of sound mind. Even through my drunken haze I recall it was yellow/green. *shudder*

I lived by Relax Internet. I checked the next day because I was so bewildered - there was no way to break in and I am 100% sure I locked the door because there was something that specifically happened that made me go back and make sure I locked the door. My best guess is that I tracked down my landlord and he opened it for me, yeah.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I saw my first roadside bucket of water today up here in Chiang Rai. Time to invest in some goggles for when I'm out on the motorbike. I do love Songkran for the most part, it's just the kids who chuck water in your face as you're driving at speed on bikes that make me wary.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Negligent posted:

Don't people pump water out of the moat? I wouldn't wanna get any of that in my mouth or eyes. :gonk:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The best one I've been to was in Sukhothai. Very laid back, parades full of kids dressed up in outfits and so on. Enough water fighting to be fun, but everyone was very cute about it. The Bangkok version is pretty annoying to me anymore, but I'm happy for others to enjoy it.

If you do happen to around Bangkok during this time, I'd recommend hitting up the Phra Padaeng Songkran, which happens a week after the official one. There are a number of places that do it a week off for whatever reason. Anyway, Phra Padaeng is a very odd combination anymore, but traditionally, like Nonthaburi, a sort of baanok, or rural, suburb of Bangkok and the festival is much less of a violent, touristy affair - though it's still plenty aggressive, just not full of idiot farangs and dek wen types trying to put your eye out with their super-soaker.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I don't like Songkran very much unless it's cute and mild country Songkran. Because I have a bad case of shitbrain.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Bardeh posted:

Don't people pump water out of the moat? I wouldn't wanna get any of that in my mouth or eyes. :gonk:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/522323/chiang-mai-moat-afe-for-songkran

It's allegedly safe but instead of a mouthful of bugs you get delicious chlorine.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Bardeh posted:

I saw my first roadside bucket of water today up here in Chiang Rai. Time to invest in some goggles for when I'm out on the motorbike. I do love Songkran for the most part, it's just the kids who chuck water in your face as you're driving at speed on bikes that make me wary.

How is the air quality at the moment?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Negligent posted:

How is the air quality at the moment?

It's been pretty bad, but there's a big thunderstorm going on right now which will clear the air nicely. Hopefully all the farmers will take this as a signal to start early on the Songkran batch of Lao Kao and we might not have too much burning for the next week or so.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Fingers crossed I guess. I'm flying into Chiang Mai on Monday, stay there a few days for Songkran, if it looks alright I'll head up further north.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Negligent posted:

Fingers crossed I guess. I'm flying into Chiang Mai on Monday, stay there a few days for Songkran, if it looks alright I'll head up further north.

If you run into a big loud Canadian guy, ask him about Israel.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Negligent posted:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/522323/chiang-mai-moat-afe-for-songkran

It's allegedly safe but instead of a mouthful of bugs you get delicious chlorine.

Uh huh, I hope you enjoy having poo poo piss and chemicals all over you.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

That could accurately describe any South East Asian bathroom.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

:unsmith:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

How did you get a picture of me on my way to steal yo girl?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Have many gik, no have to steal. Which one you want? I give you

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
One of the most successful businessmen in Thailand it would appear.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

He keeps his bottom bitch close

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

So um

My girlfriend is currently on Koh Samui with friends and while wandering the beach in the wee hours of the morning found a washed up body.

Apparently not an uncommon thing? The gently caress?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

~*~ murder island strikes again ~*~

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
"Uh, yeh, I was, uh, just walking along the beach, uh, at three in the morning, uh, and, uh, I found a dead body. Yeh. That's why I'm with the police. Yeh. A dead body. I love you darling."

:cop: :dong:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

duckmaster posted:

"Uh, yeh, I was, uh, just walking along the beach, uh, at three in the morning, uh, and, uh, I found a dead body. Yeh. That's why I'm with the police. Yeh. A dead body. I love you darling."

She's there for a friend's wedding.

Koh Tao is where those Brits were murdered

It's still hosed up. I love thailand I've been a few times before but jesus.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's probably more likely that whoever it was drowned. When I lived in Phuket, not a week went by in high season where someone didn't drown. Booze and rip currents really aren't a good mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

duckmaster posted:

Plot twist in The Alchemist's woes!