Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Rastor posted:

Jesus Christ. :rolleyes:

Those look like reasonable statements to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

enMTW posted:

Those are two entities not qualified to talk about fashion. I am referring to fashion-centric publications and watchbloggers.

Just because a publication doesn't write exclusively about a subject doesn't mean they aren't qualified to report on it.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Super Dude posted:

Just because a publication doesn't write exclusively about a subject doesn't mean they aren't qualified to report on it.

Not that in and of itself, but this:

is not qualified to write about fashion.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

He very specifically stated as much and then went to another publication - a fashion publication - and discussed it with them. Did you miss that part?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

enMTW posted:

Not that in and of itself, but this:

is not qualified to write about fashion.

And the WSJ?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

IuniusBrutus posted:

He very specifically stated as much and then went to another publication - a fashion publication - and discussed it with them. Did you miss that part?

I do not see any value in him inserting himself into the fashion conversation. He should stick to speeds and feeds.

I am interested in seeing a review from an actual fashion publication, though. The previews have been illuminating.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
As someone who wants the watch to do well so it sparks good competition, I'm so happy with my moto 360 right now. Nothing is blowing me away with the apple watch.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Super Dude posted:

And the WSJ?

WSJ Tech is very tech focused, to no one's surprise. They write about how technology applies to the lives of normal (non-technical) people. They don't write about fashion, though their review was closer to doing so in comparison to the rest of the tech press.

I haven't seen any WSJ writing about Watch outside of the tech portion, excluding pieces about Apple from a financial perspective (those don't have much to say about actual products, not that they need to)

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Can we just get Kanye West to weigh in with his opinion on the Apple Watch so we can settle this fashion argument once and for all?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

enMTW posted:

They don't write about fashion, though their review was closer to doing so in comparison to the rest of the tech press.

The fashion section of their website says otherwise. I think you need to accept the fact that some people might have differing opinions, and just because they don't line up with the majority doesn't mean they're wrong. Fashion is subjective, not a scientific report. People can have opposite opinions and both be equally right.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Super Dude posted:

The fashion section of their website says otherwise. I think you need to accept the fact that some people might have differing opinions, and just because they don't line up with the majority doesn't mean they're wrong. Fashion is subjective, not a scientific report.

That isn't WSJ Tech. The fashion section of WSJ doesn't write about technology. I know you want to 'win' and 'be right' and everything but could you try just a bit harder to say anything of value?

The WSJ reporters who are on the Apple Review Unit List are tech reporters. They reviewed it as a tech product, though Joanna gave it treating it differently a go. WSJ Fashion did not get a review unit, are not covered by the Apple NDA....so they have said nothing about it.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 9, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

zen death robot posted:

You should start a thread about smartwatch Apple Watch fashion in YLLS and see how that goes.

I don't want to wind up in the gas chamber and/or banned.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

enMTW posted:

If you aren't going to act in good faith leave the thread and don't come back. There is a fourm for zero-effort shitposting a couple rungs below IYG.

What? I'm posting about actual things the Apple Watch does and has and what reviewers' reactions have been to it. You said the thing was pure fashion in every aspect of the product, and I pointed out two of the features that most people wouldn't consider very fashionable. You've gotta take a step back and relax a little or something. There are good and bad and legitimately cool and legitimately funny parts to the thing, it's ok if we talk about them in the Apple Watch thread, right? :)

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

You okay buddy? You sound like you're having a pretty hard time with people talking about Apple Watch. Take a breath, it'll be OK.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

enMTW posted:

That isn't WSJ Tech. The fashion section of WSJ doesn't write about technology. I know you want to 'win' and 'be right' and everything but could you try just a bit harder to say anything of value?

The WSJ reporters who are on the Apple Review Unit List are tech reporters. They reviewed it as a tech product, though Joanna gave it treating it differently a go. WSJ Fashion did not get a review unit, are not covered by the Apple NDA....so they have said nothing about it.

Who is Joanna, stop caring so much dude.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

RVProfootballer posted:

What? I'm posting about actual things the Apple Watch does and has and what reviewers' reactions have been to it. You said the thing was pure fashion in every aspect of the product, and I pointed out two of the features that most people wouldn't consider very fashionable. You've gotta take a step back and relax a little or something. There are good and bad and legitimately cool and legitimately funny parts to the thing, it's ok if we talk about them in the Apple Watch thread, right? :)

It read as if you were purposefully trying to be as stupid as possible. Fashion does not equal 'no fun'. You have a fundamental lack of understanding of a major component to this product and it makes discussing it with you borderline pointless.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

RVProfootballer posted:

He's the weird guy who posts stuff like "please stop responding to me I've ended this conversation this is a violation of my posters rights and if you do not cease further action will have to be taken" in the iMac Hardware thread.

Either he's a really really well thought out gimmick or he's just extremely awkward when it comes to forums interactions.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

coldplay chiptunes posted:

He's the weird guy who posts stuff like "please stop responding to me I've ended this conversation this is a violation of my posters rights and if you do not cease further action will have to be taken" in the iMac Hardware thread.

Either he's a really really well thought out gimmick or he's just extremely awkward when it comes to forums interactions.

I have never done anything of the sort. There is no iMac hardware thread, by the way.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426201&userid=213949

:munch:

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

I see some responses to assholes in there but little else for anyone to complain about.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

enMTW posted:

I see some responses to assholes in there but little else for anyone to complain about.
I told you to stop responding to me. I am not going to tolerate your endless harassment.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

That sounds reasonable. In fact, just take that statement and apply it to yourself.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
So..who here likes watches

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
I'm going to replace my Apple Watch strap with a multicoloured velcro one. Will that make it more or less fashionable?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Get a fancy NASA approved velcro strap for astronauts.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

What is nice is that the first person to be shot and killed for their Edition edition Apple Watch will be remembered by history for something far greater than kicking rear end on the associate track at a Biglaw.

Its a ticket into the annals of history, well worth the $15,000 entry fee.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I can't wait for screen protector chat and case chat in this thread later this month.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Jose Oquendo posted:

I can't wait for screen protector chat and case chat in this thread later this month.
You're totally skipping over tracking number chat and shipment weight chat.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
lol and you guys thought you hated me

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

monkeu posted:

I'm going to replace my Apple Watch strap with a multicoloured velcro one. Will that make it more or less fashionable?

Have you considered the red ranger w/ $600 milanese loop

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

People arguing in the apple watch thread for more than a page should be made to meet and settle their disputes conkers-style. There in the crucible of competition we can see who was smarter to invest in sapphire glass vs aluminium casings, see if ion-x glass can walk the walk as well as talk the talk, to see if the elasticity of the flouroelastomer imparts more speed on a downswing.

Also I've just trademarked and patented Apple Watch Conkers™ and will be serving cease and desist notices on youtube, so dont even try.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Heard the conkers app lags tho

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Initial press reactions to the iPad launch were also fairly negative, but consumers loved it.

I'm sure there's enough demand to sell out the Watch for the next 3 months, and from then on, it'll be word of mouth, not cynical, jaded, dismissive techies that really matters.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I cannot wait to see my first person out in public wearing two apple watches.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Trammel posted:

Initial press reactions to the iPad launch were also fairly negative, but consumers loved it.

I'm sure there's enough demand to sell out the Watch for the next 3 months, and from then on, it'll be word of mouth, not cynical, jaded, dismissive techies that really matters.

Yeah, I don't think there's any doubt it'll sell well. But that's not really helpful to know if you're trying to figure out whether you want to buy it or not. Then it's kind of nice to read something that goes more in depth, where you can agree with or dismiss each of the reviewer's concerns/opinions if you think it is a reasonable complaint or a cynical unfashionable techie fedora cheeto complaint.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah that verge article just confirms everything I said in here. Thankfully in an age of kickstarter a new apple can emerge. Rip Apple, you died with Steve.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

rear end Catchcum posted:

Yeah that verge article just confirms everything I said in here. Thankfully in an age of kickstarter a new apple can emerge. Rip Apple, you died with Steve.

Have you considered that the problem is actually that you are stupid and hold bad opinions? That you are more interested in being able to say 'look how right I am' than existing in the same reality as everyone else? Just checking, you know?

enMTW fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 9, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

enMTW posted:

Have you considered that the problem is actually that you are stupid and hold bad opinions?

No, this just proved its suffering from mad gen 1 syndrome and wasn't the best it could be. Did no one at apple test it like verge did? They didn't notice the lag? Why would they release this lag first aid kit patch after? Why not, I dunno, implement it before they sent it out to reviewers?

Seriously, the pebble time is the better smart watch.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

rear end Catchcum posted:

No, this just proved its suffering from mad gen 1 syndrome and wasn't the best it could be. Did no one at apple test it like verge did? They didn't notice the lag? Why would they release this lag first aid kit patch after? Why not, I dunno, implement it before they sent it out to reviewers?

Seriously, the pebble time is the better smart watch.

Nothing you said is true.

The patch isn't done. The OS isn't done. It's running late, like literally every iPhone ever shipped. Go lookup the first patch for every iPhone - the 3G shipped with no OS at all and in recovery mode, the 5s shipped (to reviewers) with totally broken TouchID, etc etc etc

4s had a ton of Siri issues that were fixed between reviews and launch....and those phones were all seeded a week early. Nowhere near this early.

The Pebble Time is a massive piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Could you two awful posters take it to PMs or something?

• Locked thread