Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

kalvick posted:

did you try pushing the schrader valve? did gas come out? or hiss or anything? its looks like a little bicycle tire plug where you would hook up a bike pump, you can press it down with your finger.
check out this link for a location http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt121/mell00ut/Untitled.png

if its clicking that's the battery not supplying enough juice to the alternator. after a while the clicking will stop because the battery is dead.
if its clicking all the time then the battery is ok and the alternator is ok, but gas is not getting into the engine to turn it over.

so yea, I would say fuel pump. Get something high end, so you dont have to upgrade it later if you decide to get a super charger or something ;)

It clicks at first, but if it sits with power but no attempt to start for a few minutes, then it acts like the pump isn't putting out enough gas. I'll check the valve in a bit at lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kalvick posted:

did you try pushing the schrader valve? did gas come out? or hiss or anything? its looks like a little bicycle tire plug where you would hook up a bike pump, you can press it down with your finger.
check out this link for a location http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt121/mell00ut/Untitled.png

if its clicking that's the battery not supplying enough juice to the alternator. after a while the clicking will stop because the battery is dead.
if its clicking all the time then the battery is ok and the alternator is ok, but gas is not getting into the engine to turn it over.

so yea, I would say fuel pump. Get something high end, so you dont have to upgrade it later if you decide to get a super charger or something ;)

I'm having trouble parsing your post.

You don't need fuel to turn over, you need it to run once it's turning.

The battery not supplying enough power to the alternator? Do you mean for excitation? That would lead to the battery not charging, but not these symptoms.

If the starter is giving you a bunch of rapid clicks, that's from not having enough current to operate the starter all the way. It's got nothing to do with the alternator, or the fuel system. In my car (which is not a Ford, admittedly) it's due to a crappy battery terminal that I need to wiggle every so often. Since Ford uses an external solenoid for starting, maybe something is going on there if the wiring is all good. I have no idea why sitting with the key "on" for a bit would cause it to work.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Raluek posted:

The battery not supplying enough power to the alternator? Do you mean for excitation? That would lead to the battery not charging, but not these symptoms.

If the starter is giving you a bunch of rapid clicks, that's from not having enough current to operate the starter all the way. It's got nothing to do with the alternator, or the fuel system. In my car (which is not a Ford, admittedly) it's due to a crappy battery terminal that I need to wiggle every so often. Since Ford uses an external solenoid for starting, maybe something is going on there if the wiring is all good. I have no idea why sitting with the key "on" for a bit would cause it to work.

I'm not so troubleshooting cars :shrug:

Either way, taking it to a mechanic to see what he says, but I prefer to have some idea of whats being said, and asking about it on the internet is a good way to get some ideas of whats going on.

Thanks!

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Raluek posted:

yea, I am really over simplifying it. sorry.
when my gas went bad, the pump was just pushing turpentine and clogged the pump. I had to replace it. the schrader valve was just doing nothing when I pressed it no hissing or fuel coming out, like it does when it works.
when people say clicking, its usually the starter or the alternator, the only two parts that people can hear clicking coming from.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Apparently just the battery hosed up, all better now.

I am REALLY bad at troubleshooting cars

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Anyone daily drive a newer Boss or have an opinion on the daily-drive-ability of them? A dealer nearby suddenly has one with 20k miles for 32k. I'm extremely tempted.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Dinurth posted:

Anyone daily drive a newer Boss or have an opinion on the daily-drive-ability of them? A dealer nearby suddenly has one with 20k miles for 32k. I'm extremely tempted.
Much as the boss is a special car, the S550 GT-PP/recaros is just as fast (slightly faster even) with much much better interior quality and daily drivability for only slightly more moneys.

Granted, I'm still just a bench racer on either subject at this point.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dinurth posted:

Not a car I would want to drive daily just because of the wear and tear on it, rather than me.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I have about 30k miles on my 2012 Boss, got it in July 2011 and been DDing it since. I live in Florida, so no such thing as "Winter" or "Something other than ultra performance summer tires," which probably informs my opinions, but it's an utterly fantastic car. The biggest difference from normal GTs will probably be the noise- The stock exhaust is much closer to a more aggressive Roush or Borla sound than it is to a stock GT or even GT500. Especially if you take the side exhaust restrictors out (Which should be the first thing you do).

Other than that, the seats are fantastic, and the only thing you might miss compared to other cars is the general suite of electronic poo poo that goes in them these days- I think the 2013 got the upgraded center dash screen between the speedo and tach with some of ford's settings and track apps, but neither car has Sync/myford/backup camera/etc. I don't miss any of that personally, it's got an aux input plug + power outlet in the center where I can plug my phone in to the stereo if I want, which is enough for me.

The thing I would worry about buying one used is the previous owner factor, same for GT500s- You never really know if the PO was an idiot rear end in a top hat that drove all day with a foot dragging on the clutch and brake at the same time, or god knows what else.

If you do get it, first thing I would do is change the transmission and differential oils- http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=45&pcid=7 and http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=43&pcid=7 worked waaaay better than the stock stuff, cut down on gear noise and made for far better shifting.

You'll also want to upgrade from the stock tires.

e: ilkhan's right, in that the car itself is a real joy to drive and toss around, but the interior is notably lacking compared to the newest generation. The seats are great, but the rest of the interior is the same old plastic for miles. The alcantara/suede steering wheel is nice though, especially in a hot state where black leather steering wheels basically need oven mitts to use when you get in your car to go home at the end of the day.

Also, most important question: What color is it? School bus yellow 2013 = MUST BUY. Grabber green... Ehhhhhh, not so much.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 15, 2015

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Gwaihir posted:

I have about 30k miles on my 2012 Boss, got it in July 2011 and been DDing it since. I live in Florida, so no such thing as "Winter" or "Something other than ultra performance summer tires," which probably informs my opinions, but it's an utterly fantastic car. The biggest difference from normal GTs will probably be the noise- The stock exhaust is much closer to a more aggressive Roush or Borla sound than it is to a stock GT or even GT500. Especially if you take the side exhaust restrictors out (Which should be the first thing you do).

Other than that, the seats are fantastic, and the only thing you might miss compared to other cars is the general suite of electronic poo poo that goes in them these days- I think the 2013 got the upgraded center dash screen between the speedo and tach with some of ford's settings and track apps, but neither car has Sync/myford/backup camera/etc. I don't miss any of that personally, it's got an aux input plug + power outlet in the center where I can plug my phone in to the stereo if I want, which is enough for me.

The thing I would worry about buying one used is the previous owner factor, same for GT500s- You never really know if the PO was an idiot rear end in a top hat that drove all day with a foot dragging on the clutch and brake at the same time, or god knows what else.

If you do get it, first thing I would do is change the transmission and differential oils- http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=45&pcid=7 and http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=43&pcid=7 worked waaaay better than the stock stuff, cut down on gear noise and made for far better shifting.

You'll also want to upgrade from the stock tires.

e: ilkhan's right, in that the car itself is a real joy to drive and toss around, but the interior is notably lacking compared to the newest generation. The seats are great, but the rest of the interior is the same old plastic for miles. The alcantara/suede steering wheel is nice though, especially in a hot state where black leather steering wheels basically need oven mitts to use when you get in your car to go home at the end of the day.

Also, most important question: What color is it? School bus yellow 2013 = MUST BUY. Grabber green... Ehhhhhh, not so much.

Considering I currently DD a 2001 Bullitt GT with no cats, none of this is a concern for me, everything about this car would be a massive upgrade - also located in Texas so winter is non-existent and my daily commute is about 12 miles.

It's also blue with white stripes, not my ideal color but it would do. Guess I'll setup a test drive!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, you'll love it. I think the blue is a great color, too. I went with white, but it was a coin toss between that and blue. 2012 or 2013?

e: Yea, it wouldn't be very fun at all to commute with on lovely roads, even with the shocks tuned to the softest level. But texas roads are pretty OK, it's not like you're in Louisiana or Mississippi. (That's the most god damned obnoxious stretch of I-10 along those two states).

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 15, 2015

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Much as the boss is a special car, the S550 GT-PP/recaros is just as fast (slightly faster even) with much much better interior quality and daily drivability for only slightly more moneys.

Granted, I'm still just a bench racer on either subject at this point.

You feeling the PP now? After test driving both, if I were to become a Mustang guy it would be sans PP.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, you'll love it. I think the blue is a great color, too. I went with white, but it was a coin toss between that and blue. 2012 or 2013?

e: Yea, it wouldn't be very fun at all to commute with on lovely roads, even with the shocks tuned to the softest level. But texas roads are pretty OK, it's not like you're in Louisiana or Mississippi. (That's the most god damned obnoxious stretch of I-10 along those two states).

Oh jesus. I have a long drive from TX to FL this summer, which doubtless takes me through these states.

Good bye spine.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The only remotely saving grace of that entire stretch is that the New Orleans I-12 bypass has decent food exits I guess. And the Atchafalaya causeway is pretty nice. If you can you should definitely stop at Dreamland BBQ in Mobile too!

(If you have any teeth that haven't rattled out of your head by that point).

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

RFC2324 posted:

Oh jesus. I have a long drive from TX to FL this summer, which doubtless takes me through these states.

Good bye spine.

That stretch rattled a trailer so hard I snapped a strap and ripped a tiedown off the wall of it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gwaihir posted:

I have about 30k miles on my 2012 Boss, got it in July 2011 and been DDing it since. I live in Florida, so no such thing as "Winter" or "Something other than ultra performance summer tires," which probably informs my opinions, but it's an utterly fantastic car.

What wheels and tires? I've been dragging my feet on my 2012 V6's second set of tires.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's pretty close to time to replace the factory tires on my race red 2012 V6; I do about 7500 miles/year, always in Florida, so I'm thinking these tires and wheels:

The Pilot Super Sport tires recommend wheel widths from 6.5" to 8.5", and these wheels are in that range; they don't seem too tacky to my unrefined tastes either.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009

Dinurth posted:

I have about 20k on my 2013 boss and it is my daily. I owned a 2012 gt for about a year before I got my boss. I love the boss way better then the gt. It sounds better handles better and is just goddamn sexy. My neighbor has a 2011 gt500 I have driven that about a dozen times. I would own the boss every day of the week over either. And who ever said the got to have it green was no good they can suck a dick!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cocoa Crispies posted:

What wheels and tires? I've been dragging my feet on my 2012 V6's second set of tires.

I replaced the stock wheels with a set of 18" Forgestar F-14s http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-forgestar-f14-wheels.html.
They only weigh about 20 pounds, vs 33ish for the stock wheels. The weight reduction is really nice, but I mostly wanted to get a square setup vs the staggered wheels that came with it stock, so I could actually rotate the tires.

I have Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 tires on them. I'm not sure if I had just gotten used to the more worn stock pirellis, but these tires are subjectively GRIPPY AS gently caress.

(lovely picture, I somehow don't have any others since I put them on the car)

They clear the Brembo brakes, and you can actually put up to about a 295 tire on them without rubbing.

e: Definitely agree that I would get the Boss over a GT500. Sounds better, handles better, and still has more than enough power to kill yourself with.
Also it's not that green is ~bad~ per se, it's just not school bus yellow!!

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 15, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

tijag posted:

You feeling the PP now? After test driving both, if I were to become a Mustang guy it would be sans PP.
I've only test driven without it.
But.
I've never actually done any auto-x/carts/track-time/etc. On Sunday I had a date which included 5 minutes in severely underpowered little kid carts. My mouth was bone dry from grinning the whole time and I was laughing deliriously for another 5 minutes as/after I exited. So I definitely want more, and track time really warrants the PP.

I'll be sure to test drive both before making a final decision, but very much leaning that way now. The non-PP is way above my limits (obviously), but I'm planning on having this toy for a decade.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
So, as something to bridge the gap between now (I am stang-less) and late 2016 when I'll be in the market to purchase, I'm thinking of getting this:

http://www.dodgechryslerjeepofkirkland.com/Used-2007-Ford-Mustang-GT-Deluxe-Seattle-WA/vd/25741108

Already got financing approved and such.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

mechaet posted:

So, as something to bridge the gap between now (I am stang-less) and late 2016 when I'll be in the market to purchase, I'm thinking of getting this:

http://www.dodgechryslerjeepofkirkland.com/Used-2007-Ford-Mustang-GT-Deluxe-Seattle-WA/vd/25741108

Already got financing approved and such.
Page starts to load then errors.
From what I glimpsed its a 2007 GT at like 15k and the answer to that is not just no but hell no. 2011+ V6 is a hell of a lot more bridge car at that point.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

ilkhan posted:

Page starts to load then errors.
From what I glimpsed its a 2007 GT at like 15k and the answer to that is not just no but hell no. 2011+ V6 is a hell of a lot more bridge car at that point.

I'll never own a Mustang with less than a V8.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

mechaet posted:

While I can certainly understand the sentiment, the V6 in the '11 is seriously good and the '11 is leaps and bounds a better car. You would be crazy to buy the 07 over the 11. It would be a bad purchase, even if temporary.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

mechaet posted:

I understand not wanting a V6 but if you're going for an 05-09 GT find a decent deal at least. My dad's loaded '06 Premium convertible was only $1500 more than that one with 78,000 less miles when he bought it last year. You should be able to find one with fewer miles on it for less money, there are plenty of them to choose from.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

SFH1989 posted:

I understand not wanting a V6 but if you're going for an 05-09 GT find a decent deal at least. My dad's loaded '06 Premium convertible was only $1500 more than that one with 78,000 less miles when he bought it last year. You should be able to find one with fewer miles on it for less money, there are plenty of them to choose from.

Unfortunately I live in an affluent portion of the country, because this is the best deal on an S197 that is not horrifically beat to poo poo. This car is stock-stock, one-owner, and clean outside and in. It is the cheapest example within 100 miles of me.

EDIT: and because I live in North Seattle, getting any S197 prior to 2007 is a nope.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mechaet posted:

Unfortunately I live in an affluent portion of the country, because this is the best deal on an S197 that is not horrifically beat to poo poo. This car is stock-stock, one-owner, and clean outside and in. It is the cheapest example within 100 miles of me.

EDIT: and because I live in North Seattle, getting any S197 prior to 2007 is a nope.

So why not pick up a 2011-2014 V6 that is just as quick, cheaper to own, more comfortable, and better to drive? You get a 6 speed too, then.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

So why not pick up a 2011-2014 V6 that is just as quick, cheaper to own, more comfortable, and better to drive? You get a 6 speed too, then.

mechaet posted:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Then you're just being stupid.

You can buy cars not within 5 miles of you, too.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Buy a supercharged new edge.

15k doesn't seem terrible for a 2007 GT though.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Cage posted:

Buy a supercharged new edge.

It's still got a 3-valve 4.6L capable of nearly 500hp before needing to rebuild the bottom end. I don't see a whole lot of cheap 2011+ V6s doing that.

To take a stock 05-09 and make it track-ready you spend 5K on supercharging it and 3K on suspension.

For the 2011+ V6, you dump nearly 6K on a supercharger (and a lovely-sounding centri one at that), and nearly 5K on suspension.

Why so much more on suspension? Because unlike the GT, there aren't a lot of bits you'll want to keep around.

Also with the V6 at the end you'll have a machine that doesn't sound like a Mustang.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ok, why quote me though? Im all for V8s.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

mechaet posted:

It's still got a 3-valve 4.6L capable of nearly 500hp before needing to rebuild the bottom end. I don't see a whole lot of cheap 2011+ V6s doing that.

To take a stock 05-09 and make it track-ready you spend 5K on supercharging it and 3K on suspension.

For the 2011+ V6, you dump nearly 6K on a supercharger (and a lovely-sounding centri one at that), and nearly 5K on suspension.

Why so much more on suspension? Because unlike the GT, there aren't a lot of bits you'll want to keep around.

Also with the V6 at the end you'll have a machine that doesn't sound like a Mustang.

AI is full of things that are terrible ideas. That's what makes it AI. But this is really not a good idea.

Honestly, how likely are you to dump that kind of cash into what you have said is a temporary vehicle? If you have to have a Mustang, but a 2011+ V6 with the Pony or performance package or whatever it is. Drive it. It's a much better car than you're giving it credit for. Then use it as a daily driver/grocery getter when you buy the 16. Save the 8K you're going to put into the V8 for go fast parts for 2016.

Or simply put ALL the money aside, buy the 16 nearly outright.

The cherry on the bad decision sundae is financing an 8 year old Mustang. THIS is what is a bad idea. If it were a low mileage garage queen Shelby or something like that? Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe. But a garden variety Mustang GT that's 8 years old?

No way in hell. What's your interest rate? 15-20 percent?

Which dovetails back into spending $8,000 on a blower and suspension mods for a $15,000 8 year old car that you're having to finance to begin with.

DON'T.
DO.
IT.

I'm all for V8s and throwing money at them to make them stupid fast as you are. But. There are bad decisions that turn out to be awesome and unique (Land Rover Discos, for example). Then there are bad decisions that are just bad decisions.

This is one of those bad decisions.

Tide fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 17, 2015

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

mechaet posted:

If you're going to spend that kind of coin on a car why not fly to the California/AZ/NV/NM/TX and get what you want? 1 way plane tickets to most metro areas are $150 to $250.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

mechaet posted:

I live in Fairfield County which isn't exactly poor and my dad still managed to get a decent deal. Maybe you're just looking at lovely dealers? If your area is the issue it could pay off to look an hour or two away. I drove to Delaware (4 hours one way) to get my Fiesta.

Cage posted:

For one with 95,000 miles it is. Two or three grand less would be fair from what I can find on cars.com.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Yeah, if you're going to buy an S550 in 18 months, you're not going to dump $$$$ into a blower and suspension mods regardless of whether you get a V8 or a V6. Just get a V6, enjoy the nice daily driver for a year and a half, and then trade it in on your shiny new 2016 GT when you're ready for it.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Wrar posted:

If you're going to spend that kind of coin on a car why not fly to the California/AZ/NV/NM/TX and get what you want? 1 way plane tickets to most metro areas are $150 to $250.

Because I live in Washington and bringing a car back here is a serious pain I don't wish to deal with. Already dealt with it once bringing my 76 Nova up here, never again.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Buy a mustang II.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

SFH1989 posted:

I live in Fairfield County which isn't exactly poor and my dad still managed to get a decent deal. Maybe you're just looking at lovely dealers? If your area is the issue it could pay off to look an hour or two away. I drove to Delaware (4 hours one way) to get my Fiesta.

For one with 95,000 miles it is. Two or three grand less would be fair from what I can find on cars.com.

Two or three grand less, IF it was modified by the previous owner. IF the interior is not immaculate. IF there are door dings, scratches, etc.

See my other reply about buying out of state cars.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Cage posted:

Buy a mustang II.

I want a car with less problems than my BMW, not more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SFH1989 posted:

Oh hell no. I somehow missed the mileage on it....

Financing an 8 year old Mustang (GT or not) with nearly 100,000 miles?

:derp: