Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Leper Residue posted:

I'm only four episodes in, it doesn't really have the humor of gotg, but it definitely has the fights of winter soldier.

So far it's a good show, it's got characters that are likeable, multiple plot threads that tie into each other, cool fight scenes, absolutely amazing cinematography and lighting.

If you have any interest in any of the things I just said, I'd say you should give it a try. I'm eagerly looking forward to the rest of it. Fisk is a fantastic villain so far, and I can't wait to see where they take him.

what's the editing on the fight scenes like? it's not a lot of fast cuts and shaky cam is it? that always ruins fight scenes for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

cat doter posted:

what's the editing on the fight scenes like? it's not a lot of fast cuts and shaky cam is it? that always ruins fight scenes for me

just watch two episodes dude, if you don't like it you don't like it, otherwise I don't know what to tell you.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Leper Residue posted:

just watch two episodes dude, if you don't like it you don't like it, otherwise I don't know what to tell you.

oh I will I'm just busy and was curious about it, I'm excited to check it out

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is there no more UFC on Netflix? where could I find some?
They had UFC events on Netflix? News to me. The chances of streaming their shows outside of their own service going forward is nil.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

So you're saying the answer is "no," right?

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

cat doter posted:

No, not shaky cams. There are a few cuts, but they're in places where cuts would be warrented. Otherwise it's matt murdock just beating the ever-loving crap out of baddies. :allears:

I was so worried this would turn into the crap that we got years ago. But So far it's great.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cat doter posted:

In the 2nd or 3rd episode there's a long take fight scene with a slowly roving camera that goes down for like 3 mins straight that is just superb. It reminded me of the "going up the hotel ramp" scene from Ong Bak a bit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I also wish Daredevil would have stayed with the "homeless Zatoichi" thing instead of getting a ~superhero costume~ in season 1, but it's a pretty minor complaint for a drat good show. Turns out the key to making a superhero show not suck is to make the non-superhero parts really good too. Like the courtroom stuff isn't Boston Legal or anything but it's still good.

Vincent D'Onofrio is also walking a great line between "goofy" and "menacing". I bust out laughing the first time they showed him onscreen.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

That Works posted:

In the 2nd or 3rd episode there's a long take fight scene with a slowly roving camera that goes down for like 3 mins straight that is just superb. It reminded me of the "going up the hotel ramp" scene from Ong Bak a bit.

oh awesome, I love ong bak, long take fight scenes are always fantastic

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

NESguerilla posted:

Anybody watched Starry Eyes? Looks interesting but I'm not feeling that adventurous after thinking Preservation looked interesting last night.

It was way better than Preservation. Ended up a little predictable and didn't quite go as far in some ways as I hoped, but I thought it was pretty good.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

JohnSherman posted:

So you're saying the answer is "no," right?

There's a reason they keep him in the ninja suit as long as possible.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

30 For 30: June 17th, 1994 makes a compelling case that Arnold Palmer set up OJ Simpson for murder.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

For real. I'm only on episode 3 now, but this is far and away some of the best hand to hand combat I've seen in any form of media outside of The Raid movies in a long time. It feels so real.
Arow also has excellent fight choreography.

Daredevil isn't a funNY show though, it's largey about the protagonist grappling with his inner demons, and it also humanizes Kingpin to a nearly shocking extent. The rubber suit his a plot thing, you will know when its time for him to get a better outfit..

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Why isn't Daredevil's suit, you know, red?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Assume ive never read a daredevil book or comic (or seen the cartoon or whatever it was originally), will this make me enjoy the Netflix show more, less, or will it make no difference?

I liked some of the batman films but all other comic book films were bad, for me.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

That Works posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7knz_uh6eBw

love this scene, reminds me of the hallway fight in oldboy.

ravenkult posted:

Why isn't Daredevil's suit, you know, red?

maybe he thinks it is?

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 12, 2015

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

I'm sticking with the show for two things:Black Sky and the massive scarred dude who sounds like Keith David

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Assume ive never read a daredevil book or comic (or seen the cartoon or whatever it was originally), will this make me enjoy the Netflix show more, less, or will it make no difference?

I liked some of the batman films but all other comic book films were bad, for me.

It's more like the Nolan Batman films than any other comic book movie I guess, and I think it's perfectly enjoyable without any comic book knowledge.

You'd be able to tell if you'd like it or not with just one or two episodes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

That Works posted:

That was from Tom Yum Goong, the movie way worse than Ong Bak but with a couple crazy good fight scenes.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Otto von Ruthless posted:

It's more like the Nolan Batman films than any other comic book movie I guess, and I think it's perfectly enjoyable without any comic book knowledge.

You'd be able to tell if you'd like it or not with just one or two episodes.

Cool. It's hard to judge whether something might be good after reading opinions on sa, especially if people are invested in the original material, because that always sways opinion one way or the other.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I've never read any Daredevil before (but did see the Affleck film lol) and I think the show is really good. The fight choreography and Fisk's character are the best parts. It randomly has graphic violence at times too which was a bit shocking, but that is the benefit of a non-broadcast television release.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Cool. It's hard to judge whether something might be good after reading opinions on sa, especially if people are invested in the original material, because that always sways opinion one way or the other.

If you aren't interested in two episodes you probably won't ever be. No prior knowledge or interest in the comics is needed at all though. Think of it as a good kung fu movie or that level of expectation and you probably won't be dissatisfied.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
My wife says I have no choice, i have to watch it, because the main guy is fit. That means handsome.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

My wife says I have no choice, i have to watch it, because the main guy is fit. That means handsome.

Watch Spartacus instead, and in the words of the show, see her oval office moisten with thought of real men.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Watch Spartacus instead, and in the words of the show, see her oval office moisten with thought of real men.

We've watched every episode already!

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Really? Because I think he looks like a complete dork, although it works pretty well for the character, and it fits in with the little bit I knew about Matt Murdock going in. I think it's the receding hairline plus the stubble and choice of glasses that makes it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

MacGowans Teeth posted:

Really? Because I think he looks like a complete dork, although it works pretty well for the character, and it fits in with the little bit I knew about Matt Murdock going in. I think it's the receding hairline plus the stubble and choice of glasses that makes it.

I should point out that she hasn't seen the guy as daredevil, she googled and found the actor who plays him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I should point out that she hasn't seen the guy as daredevil, she googled and found the actor who plays him.

Did you guys watch Boardwalk Empire? He was specifically cast as the housewife's delight on that show.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Did you guys watch Boardwalk Empire? He was specifically cast as the housewife's delight on that show.

She didn't even realise it was the same guy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's an alright looking guy but that hairline is distracting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

She didn't even realise it was the same guy

I didn't either till it was just mentioned. Heh.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

That Works posted:

I didn't either till it was just mentioned. Heh.

And the gay ambassador from the downtown Abby pilot. His star is ascendant.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Speaking of violent rear end old timey shows. What's better Spartacus or Rome? I was thinking about starting up one of the two soon.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Speaking of violent rear end old timey shows. What's better Spartacus or Rome? I was thinking about starting up one of the two soon.

i didn't make it through the first episode of Spartacus so i'ma say Rome. very good show all around. Spartacus is probably more violent though.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

NESguerilla posted:

They're both really good but for different reasons. Rome has a lot of really good acting and production design and is more grounded. Spartacus is a very stylized, extremely violent melodrama in which dudes sing about their cocks a lot and the level of nudity would make HBO execs blush. I prefer Spartacus myself but there's not a bad choice there.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Both good but I think the edge goes to Rome in terms of writing and acting.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Rome is probably "better" but Spartacus is waaaaay more fun. Rome is a serious prestige drama that happens to occasionally have dece action, Spartacus is a batshit crazy action show with deceptively good character writing.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
If you do go for Spartacus, be aware that the first episode or two are pretty bad and not representative of the quality or style of the rest.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What good comedy tv shows are on Netflix? I just finished Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and I want something else lighthearted I can watch in my spare time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What good comedy tv shows are on Netflix? I just finished Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and I want something else lighthearted I can watch in my spare time.

If for whatever reason you haven't watched 30 Rock, that would probably be your best option.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 12, 2015