Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Nintendo Kid posted:

Because getting someone to actually put in non-default art and music for your game so it doesn't look like a blatant RPG maker game costs actual money. Decent artists don't tend to take payment in "credits for an RPG Maker game".

They really seem to think it's a good deal though. There was a guy on the VXA forums in the recruitment section, telling all potential members that they would be paid via kickstarter so "you'd better do your absolute best on this, because your pay depends on it."

It's like, yeah, I could do that, or I could just work for a developer that isn't a chickenshit and will at least pay part of my commission to do the work for a kickstarter project. :v:
Maybe for others it's a bit more of a desperate struggle but I really don't have trouble getting work for good projects, or work that will at least pay.

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Apr 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Because getting someone to actually put in non-default art and music for your game so it doesn't look like a blatant RPG maker game costs actual money. Decent artists don't tend to take payment in "credits for an RPG Maker game".

If you're going to spend 30 grand to make a game then it should not be an RPGMaker game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DStecks posted:

I don't get people who are making RPGMaker games and then ask for tens of thousands of dollars. What even would you spend that on? Full loving voice acting? Like, RPGMaker is the engine of "I want to make a game entirely on my own, in my spare time, and I have no talent for art, music, coding, or design, or anything really that goes into making a game but god drat I want to make a game", its entire purpose is to be used for games that do not cost 30 grand.

Its half completely misunderstanding what a budget is and half just being greedy.

"Well, other videogames ask for hundreds of thousands or even millions! I'll ask for a few thousand and nobody'll bat an eye, and then I can pay myself to play with RPGMaker for a month and retire early! Its foolproof."

People are dumb.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DStecks posted:

If you're going to spend 30 grand to make a game then it should not be an RPGMaker game.

Why? You might as well say games shouldn't be made in the Unreal 4 engine, really, or visual novels shouldn't be made with ren'py, or so on.

If they try to roll their own poo poo it's just going to be worse than the robust game engine they coulda been using instead.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
With Unreal 4 you can produce a game that looks like it isn't running on 25 year old hardware.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I think he was probably more saying that development costs for RPG Maker would naturally be much smaller than something less focused or more flexible. A programmer isn't a strict requirement, and there's not a lot of programmers worth a full programmer salary in the community anyway. The art is where all the money will go, and artists are much cheaper than programmers anyway.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Because if I'm gonna spend 30 grand on a game, it won't be on something most people will take one look at and say "Oh, a fuckin' RPGMaker game". There are of course exceptions like To The Moon, but that's not an RPGMaker game so much as it is a game that uses RPGMaker to tell an interactive story.

Noyemi K posted:

I think he was probably more saying that development costs for RPG Maker would naturally be much smaller than something less focused or more flexible. A programmer isn't a strict requirement, and there's not a lot of programmers worth a full programmer salary in the community anyway. The art is where all the money will go, and artists are much cheaper than programmers anyway.

If you really want to start out making games independently, on your own terms, then you need to be the programmer. Period. The only exception would be is if you're the artist in a duo with a programmer, and your partnership is ironclad. Or you have some other skill, and the coder is somebody you know and who's prepared to work with you. Basically what I'm saying is that unless you can do at least one core thing needed to make a game, to your satisfaction, then you've got no business asking for money on KS to hire the people who actually know their stuff. If you've got no skills but you have an idea and the money to make it real, then go for it, chase that dream.

But if literally all you've got is a game idea, and you think that's worth 30 thousand dollars, that tells me that you do not have the drive to actually learn how to make a game, and if you don't have the initiative to learn even the basic skills, why would you have what it takes to actually see a project through to completion?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Germstore posted:

With Unreal 4 you can produce a game that looks like it isn't running on 25 year old hardware.

You can do that with RPG Maker too, but of course if you're after making a 2d JRPG in the first place it's not like you're going to look that much different than a really good version of like FF6. RPG Maker ain't holding anyone back from good art etc.

DStecks posted:

Because if I'm gonna spend 30 grand on a game, it won't be on something most people will take one look at and say "Oh, a fuckin' RPGMaker game". There are of course exceptions like To The Moon, but that's not an RPGMaker game so much as it is a game that uses RPGMaker to tell an interactive story.

When you hire someone who can actually do game art, and get a part time dude to mod the game engine slightly, your RPG Maker game stops having that RPG Maker look. It just looks like a decent old style RPG. I don't get why you think rolling your own game engine is going to make the same game better, honestly.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

When you hire someone who can actually do game art, and get a part time dude to mod the game engine slightly, your RPG Maker game stops having that RPG Maker look. It just looks like a decent old style RPG. I don't get why you think rolling your own game engine is going to make the same game better, honestly.

As someone who attempted to roll their own game engine, I can confirm that it is a massive waste of time and it will be filled with more bugs than you could ever possibly imagine. Just use someone else's for gently caress's sake.

But yes, there is nothing wrong with RPG Maker, it's just the vast majority of games made with it look like RPG Maker games because apparently making three-frame sprites is the hardest thing in the world.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

If I was going to make a JRPG, then rolling my own engine would be silly. But Noyemi K got my point exactly:

Noyemi K posted:

Having somebody make art assets for an RPGMaker game should not cost 30 thousand dollars, if this is your very first effort at making a game. If you're making a legit professional effort, then that budget would be justifiable, but the situation here is somebody who wants to become a hobbyist, not a hobbyist looking to graduate to the pros.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

DStecks posted:

I don't get people who are making RPGMaker games and then ask for tens of thousands of dollars. What even would you spend that on? Full loving voice acting? Like, RPGMaker is the engine of "I want to make a game entirely on my own, in my spare time, and I have no talent for art, music, coding, or design, or anything really that goes into making a game but god drat I want to make a game", its entire purpose is to be used for games that do not cost 30 grand.

To be fair, custom art assets, original music, and stuff like that can get pricey. Games like LISA and Hotline Miami are games that fall into that category. That said, yeah, 30 grand is way more than you'd need.

Edit: if you don't like the engine that's fine but that doesn't make other people wrong.

ThatPazuzu has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Apr 14, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DStecks posted:

Having somebody make art assets for an RPGMaker game should not cost 30 thousand dollars, if this is your very first effort at making a game. If you're making a legit professional effort, then that budget would be justifiable, but the situation here is somebody who wants to become a hobbyist, not a hobbyist looking to graduate to the pros.

You want somebody to bother making art assets for your RPG Maker game, and you want someone to get you decent sounds, and someone who can tinker with the engine so you don't use just the default battle system of RPG Maker. Since you're just some schmuck with no reason anyone should want to work with you, you have to offer up more money to the people who'll be helping you to get them to bother.

I don't know why $30k pisses you off here really. Personally I'd put the rage-barrier for a simple RPG maker game more around the $80k - $100k mark because at that point the extra money definitely isn't helping anything. $30k is like paying two people double minimum wage for about half a work-year, it's entirely reasonable if you're going to try to get decent help to work with your dumb RPG-wantin' rear end.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Not only is he showing a picture of Game Character Hub, which everyone got for 5 cents in a bundle at some point and also the image in the picture isn't really his work, but the tutorial tab is open too.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Sprite makers are all complete loving garbage. He should hire an artist, hyuk hyuk.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

DStecks posted:

I don't get people who are making RPGMaker games and then ask for tens of thousands of dollars. What even would you spend that on?
video games are expensive to make therefore i need a lot of money whats a lot of money oh i know 45 thousand us dollars sounds like a lot

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

You want somebody to bother making art assets for your RPG Maker game, and you want someone to get you decent sounds, and someone who can tinker with the engine so you don't use just the default battle system of RPG Maker. Since you're just some schmuck with no reason anyone should want to work with you, you have to offer up more money to the people who'll be helping you to get them to bother.

Here's another thought: if you're just some schmuck, who has never made a game before and has exactly 0 experience doing so, use the default assets and don't try to sell the game, or even release it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DStecks posted:

Here's another thought: if you're just some schmuck, who has never made a game before and has exactly 0 experience doing so, use the default assets and don't try to sell the game, or even release it.

Hmm, nope. If someone's going to release their dumb RPG wankfest at least some down on their luck artist and coder should get paid for it.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

DStecks posted:

You have the worst thoughts when it comes to videogames. See most of your posts in the Paradox threads.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

You have the worst thoughts when it comes to videogames. See most of your posts in the Paradox threads.

What? That's actually a good idea. Most developers know the first thing they ever make is garbage but it taught them about game design. Some have the common sense to not release it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mortimer posted:

What? That's actually a good idea. Most developers know the first thing they ever make is garbage but it taught them about game design. Some have the common sense to not release it.

I've doodled around with RPGMaker on and off for 10 years now and have always had the sense not to release any of it. You never show anybody your first game, period, and certainly don't ask 30 grand for it.

DStecks has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Apr 14, 2015

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
It's cute how people seem to think that effort of professionalism matter in a world where you can get a million hits reacting to people's reaction videos. I'm sorry nobody wants to play your videogames, d stecks, maybe you should try promoting them on kickstarter.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

DStecks posted:

I've doodled around with RPGMaker on and off for 10 years now and have always had the sense not to release any of it.

And that's why you're still poor. :smug:

We live in a day and age where a man can become rich by making potato salad for Christ's sakes.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

55 grand is not rich.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Remora posted:

55 grand is not rich.

That's more money than I have nor will ever have.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I just abide by the old forum saying. Lurk more.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

We live in a day and age where a man can become rich by making potato salad for Christ's sakes.

He's 100% right. Theses RPGmaker Kickstarters are awful and deserve to be laughed at but at the end of the day thanks to the indie gaming scene working long and hard to destroy Steam's quality control they're also completely understandable because Steam has a huge market of no-effort RPGmaker games and with a little luck and business savy you can make a decent chunk of change off of all the people who will compulsively buy any bundle offering a bunch of games for a buck.

If something like Victim of Xen, which is a short badly-made game composed entirely with stock RPGmaker assets, somehow ends up with Steam trading cards, achievements, and way more sales than it deserves then why not swallow your pride and try to get in on that action?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I bought RPGMaker VX in the humble bundle because why not. Is it possible to make actual modern sized sprites? The largest I can find mention of look 64x32, which is about 1/4 of what you'd probably want for 1080p.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Germstore posted:

I bought RPGMaker VX in the humble bundle because why not. Is it possible to make actual modern sized sprites? The largest I can find mention of look 64x32, which is about 1/4 of what you'd probably want for 1080p.

Considering the game blits at 640x480 (reduced to 544x416 by default) and that's the hard coded limit, you might be reaching for the stars with a stepladder there. You don't want RPG Maker to make an HD game, but it is good for if you want to emulate the look and feel of an obsolete personal computer (I did as much with a PC-88/Early 98 looking game with the proper resolution and everything)

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Apr 15, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

He's 100% right. Theses RPGmaker Kickstarters are awful and deserve to be laughed at but at the end of the day thanks to the indie gaming scene working long and hard to destroy Steam's quality control they're also completely understandable because Steam has a huge market of no-effort RPGmaker games and with a little luck and business savy you can make a decent chunk of change off of all the people who will compulsively buy any bundle offering a bunch of games for a buck.

If something like Victim of Xen, which is a short badly-made game composed entirely with stock RPGmaker assets, somehow ends up with Steam trading cards, achievements, and way more sales than it deserves then why not swallow your pride and try to get in on that action?

It's easy to be cynical about this, but my point was that I'm flabbergasted precisely because this isn't really true. 99.99% of these kickstarters will end without having a dollar to their name. It isn't nearly as easy as you make it sound, but people think they can be the 0.01% without any effort. It's just a waste of time.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
EDIT: Never mind, dropping it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Hmm, nope. If someone's going to release their dumb RPG wankfest at least some down on their luck artist and coder should get paid for it.

No poo poo. I remember another Awful Kickstarter, the Barbarian Bikini Bimbos tabletop RPG, that I laughed at on this thread then turned around and contacted the creator since any money he raised would be going to pay for custom art assets and release the game for free download.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Also way to miss the point of my post which was that they should not, in fact, release their RPG wankfest at all.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Remora posted:

55 grand is not rich.
It is if you're legit poor.

Or 12.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Remora posted:

55 grand is not rich.

55 grand can support me for 7 and a half years.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Leal posted:

55 grand can support me for 7 and a half years.

What are you going to do after you're 20?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It's ironic you chastise someone for begging for money on the internet to make an amateur level production.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Video games are easy targets. Here's something different from the AUG thread.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/venus-matters

quote:

The Venus Mat is a cotton-covered, absorbent, waterproof and washable mat that keep stains or wet-spots off the bed linens.

quote:

"The Venus Mat is just what I've been looking for! I use it for diaper-free time with my 5-month-old, then throw it in the wash and use it for after-hours lovemaking sessions with my husband. It folds up and is easy to travel with, plus it's beautiful --instant atmosphere, anywhere. From playtime at the park to playtime in the bedroom, I use it every day. It's perfectly designed and delivered."

~Becca Fresco

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

The most shocking thing here are the 70s grandma pattern they chose

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Somebody call Austin Powers, he'd fund the whole thing on his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I don't know if it's real or not, but it makes me question Judaism: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kosherswitch-control-electricity-on-shabbat

https://youtu.be/NdbkvJznmwU

edit: apparently people are not happy with it as well: http://www.torahmusings.com/2011/09/in-defense-of-the-kosher-switch/
edit 2: I'm not Jewish

canis minor has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Apr 15, 2015