Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie

Jerry Cotton posted:

They're only enemies if you want them to be is what I meant.

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro Target

New Vegas is a guided, mostly linear experience which is totally fine

Pro Target

some of the best WRPGs of all time fit that mold

problematic hug

i bought pillars of eternity on a whim. i'd love to hear spoiler free opinions on videogame

Stormyish

Jerry Cotton posted:

this game where you can go anywhere is not open because if you go to some places with big monsters in them you might die

you also forget that those areas are canyons, and unless you can sneak past the enemies at level 5 with all, at max 30 in your sneak skill, which are placed in formations that the opening of those canyon/stoneworks, making it quite difficult to get past

3D Megadoodoo

Stormyish posted:

you also forget that those areas are canyons, and unless you can sneak past the enemies at level 5 with all, at max 30 in your sneak skill, which are placed in formations that the opening of those canyon/stoneworks, making it quite difficult to get past

It is difficult yeah.

ulvir

my biggest complaint about new vegas is the really limited number of songs in the radio

I've developed a nervous tick whenever I hear "I get a kick out of you"

3D Megadoodoo

ulvir posted:

my biggest complaint about new vegas is the really limited number of songs in the radio

I've developed a nervous tick whenever I hear "I get a kick out of you"

Also the fact that the Orc radio isn't available on most of the map :(

3D Megadoodoo

Speaking of computer game radios this is one of my favourite tracks ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBhh23-paLU

Stormyish

well, I know it's not a part of the game, but there's a mod on the nexus that adds a bunch more songs of the same genre

Swizzbutt

I've unsuccessfully tried to get into stalker twice now. not sure what I'm doing wrong, it just doesn't seem like a very exciting game? or perhaps I just hadn't reached far enough into the story.

3D Megadoodoo

Stormyish posted:

well, I know it's not a part of the game, but there's a mod on the nexus that adds a bunch more songs of the same genre

I'd rather just be able to add my own (for which I'm sure there's a mod as well). Unfortunately I played through all the story lines with the Xbox 360. The console version is remarkably more stable than the Steam version which is so broken I can't be even bothered to dick around with it.

3D Megadoodoo

Swizzbutt posted:

I've unsuccessfully tried to get into stalker twice now. not sure what I'm doing wrong, it just doesn't seem like a very exciting game? or perhaps I just hadn't reached far enough into the story.

It's not really of a story-driven game imho.

Swizzbutt

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's not really of a story-driven game imho.

so do you just mostly wander?

Pizzatime

video games

gently caress

ulvir

Jerry Cotton posted:

Speaking of computer game radios this is one of my favourite tracks ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBhh23-paLU

GTA4 made me fall in love with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9p4B6s0j4U

bacalou

golf is really fun and chill in gta5

Pro Target

Swizzbutt posted:

so do you just mostly wander?

its a game about finding artifacts in dangerous places and bringing them back and selling them on the black market.. thats really all its about

Pro Target

You go to a dangerous place ful lof mutants and anomalies, successfully navigate it, retrieve artifacts and sell them at a high price toa fford better gear to be able to go out longer and get more artifacts

Pro Target

also you enjoy the ambience of the Zone, one of the greaztest video game settings, and hide in little sheds when you get caught outside at night by accident

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

Finn Pennywhistle posted:

i bought pillars of eternity on a whim. i'd love to hear spoiler free opinions on videogame

It's good and eder is cute

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

I tried To install SoC a long time ago but it was buggy as heck, should I just jump onto CoP?

Pro Target

CoP is a better put together game for sure but i mean, theyre all janky as hell and thats part of the charm

joke_explainer

Pro Target posted:

its a game about finding artifacts in dangerous places and bringing them back and selling them on the black market.. thats really all its about

It might sound boring but its really not. The entire world revolving around how special and cool the player is in the bethsoft games is subverted here in that the world doesn't really give a drat about you. You are just someone trying to make a living in like the most inhospitable place in the world.

I mean there's definitely a story to SoC and there's one in CoP (you're some downed helicopter guy) but the story isn't what people talk about in the game, it's the experiences. in fallout you could have a "cool quest" that is a relatively content-padded area, a few lines of dialog, and some computer terminals with text dumps on what happened there, but in Stalker you actually create the story as you go. every time you make it back to sell your poo poo it's been an adventure.

Stormyish

Pro Target posted:

CoP is a better put together game for sure but i mean, theyre all janky as hell and thats part of the charm

I was super spooked there in the middle of the night until something's corpse decided to envelop the sky

joke_explainer

I remember getting panicked at one moment because I like got surprised by a pack of these awful lethal dog things, only to have them run directly at me and... into an anomaly I didn't see, tearing them to shreds. thanks for the warning.

Swizzbutt

alright, I'll give it another shot. it does kind of bother me about tes games that despite being the hero, the npcs typically don't react to your great accomplishments when you do manage to make progress. this is way worse in skyrim but they also really went out of the way to make you feel special there compared to morrowind.

bacalou

morrowind is great because you can shoot a bow point blank into a guards face and miss

joke_explainer

i don't know if its just being cynical or whatever but I don't particularly enjoy it when the game goes out of its way to tell me how great I am. like, my advancement in the game should be the reward I feel at competency. i shouldn't need characters to be like 'whoa... you're totally a bad rear end now... I really respect you' because the difference should be pretty clear through the gameplay

like, for skyrim especially, there isn't really much challenge, its like... if you made an accomplishment, you just followed along with the quest from point to point until it was completed. then everyone's like 'drat dude he's the dean of the winterhold college... he's so cool... i love him...' but its basically like a passage in a book that is like 'drat... you're still reading the book... you're so cool, keep reading this book, its a really good book and you're a cool person for reading it'.

i feel like stuff like Stalker doesn't condescendingly / patronizingly tell you how good you are, it just lets you advance in the gameplay, master the world, and allows that to be its own reward. its kind of like showing vs telling style I guess.

but morrowind and skyrim and all are fun, just like big interactive worlds to mess around in. i just didn't enjoy it on anywhere near the same level as stalker. i've never played the souls games either but given what pro target and others have said about them i'm thinking about giving them a try

Swizzbutt

I'll probably be told I was playing it wrong, but I didn't enjoy dark souls very much. It seemed like I kept dying to random things like a giant boulder falling on me with no warning or the floor giving way to my death. sure the next spawn I was able to avoid it, but only long enough to just die to the next surprise. Instead of rewarding me for creativity in solving a problem, or even skill, I felt that progress was only made for being able to memorize a level. does that get better or did I miss some obvious signs of danger? (not counting the red text on the ground left by other players)

Pro Target

why would you not count the messages from players

joke_explainer

Swizzbutt posted:

I'll probably be told I was playing it wrong, but I didn't enjoy dark souls very much. It seemed like I kept dying to random things like a giant boulder falling on me with no warning or the floor giving way to my death. sure the next spawn I was able to avoid it, but only long enough to just die to the next surprise. Instead of rewarding me for creativity in solving a problem, or even skill, I felt that progress was only made for being able to memorize a level. does that get better or did I miss some obvious signs of danger? (not counting the red text on the ground left by other players)

i have heard this too, like a lot of cases you can only succeed by having played through it already or whatever. apparently if you play it online you can see tips that will warn you about potential dangers tho yeah you mentioned that at the end of your post sorry

Pro Target

anyways pretty much any environmental 'trap' in that game can be avoided by playing super cautiously and waiting... like, dont ever walk through a doorway without stopping and listening, and then go in and run out again real quick. just dont Blunder Forward

i am he

I heard that a lot but when I played I never felt like I died in a really unfair manner.

Pro Target

Its absolutely not true that you need to have memorized the map, I avoided pretty much every trap in dark souls 2 when i first played it due to playing cautiously

Swizzbutt

Pro Target posted:

anyways pretty much any environmental 'trap' in that game can be avoided by playing super cautiously and waiting... like, dont ever walk through a doorway without stopping and listening, and then go in and run out again real quick. just dont Blunder Forward

regarding the player text, I was never sure just how much I could trust it.

I guess I just didn't think it was super fun to dip my toes in the water before every step at the time but knowing this now may just solve the problem I was having. I've heard a ton about how the game was great and super fun so who knows.

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

Swizzbutt posted:

I guess I just didn't think it was super fun to dip my toes in the water before every step at the time but knowing this now may just solve the problem I was having. I've heard a ton about how the game was great and super fun so who knows.

things like "try jumping" in front of most ledges should absolutely not be blindly trusted. stop, look over the edge, drop a prism stone, etc.

things like "imminent behind" or "trap ahead" are almost always legit and really as you play you learn to just think like every corner will have a hidden enemy and every chest is a mimic. seriously i dont touch a chest before i hit it. never again

ron color
people are trying to get other people to upvote their message, so theyre usually helpful or (dark souls) funny

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

careful observation of your surroundings is really important as you go through a new area. for example. in one area there's a lift that's covered in blood. if you didn't pay any attention to the blood you might not realize something was weird with that lift. it stops for a second where you're supposed to get off but if you stay on it goes higher and impales you on ceiling spikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro Target

Swizzbutt posted:

The fun of the game (in pve) is overcoming the challenges that are placed there by the developers with the intent to kill you. its getting into their mindset (if i was trying to kill the player where would i put a trap)