Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Rackspace is still running ads for Lync training/hosting or whatever, even after the rebranding.

and yeah, what the hell is to become of people using Skype Skype for Business?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

Rackspace is still running ads for Lync training/hosting or whatever, even after the rebranding.

and yeah, what the hell is to become of people using Skype Skype for Business?

just look at this webpage!
http://www.skype.com/en/business/collaborate/

distinct from this one:
http://www.skype.com/en/business/skype-for-business/

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
didnt microsoft get so much adoption in enterprise (which trickled down to home users, which ironicly is going the other way now) because of their attitudes of "we will work hard to not break your poo poo" through good qa and lots of work to maintain backward compatibility

it is funny to see them waste so much money and time and effort on new stuff that fails so utterly, it is actually rather disturbing to see them shoot themselves in the foot with how they actually make money (not breaking poo poo for enterprise and supporting stuff they talked big customers into using)

but im just a linux user who will hopefully stay in academia forever, all i care about is still being able to buy a decent laptop that i can linux with, that isnt hosed with future-mandatory secure boot that i cant load my own key onto

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

buy a mac

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if that's not linuxy enough for you buy VMware for OS X

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
wife's old macbook is already running linux, it isnt too pleasant to use since the keyboard buttons are laid out differently enough to not match the pc-style keyboard shortcuts in most linuxes, and the touchpad doesnt work great (though afaik apple touchpads are exactly as bad with windows under bootcamp, most of why they are so good is implemented in apple-propriteray software)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
sounds like youre an idiot

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
oh you meant using os x? lol, no, no fuckin way

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
kde > os x >>>> windows, to be clear

pram
Jun 10, 2001
fly away troll no one has real opinions that bad

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

when you run a VM you can enjoy most of the awesome apple trackpad features like three finger drag and pinch zoom

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

excuse me, i chose NOT to vaccinate my kids like don't you know that causes like autism? also have you heard about this thing my friend Miracle told me about? its like free software but not free like dollars, it's more than that and its saving the planet. i havent felt this good since i went gluten free.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lysidas posted:

wife's old macbook is already running linux, it isnt too pleasant to use since the keyboard buttons are laid out differently enough to not match the pc-style keyboard shortcuts in most linuxes, and the touchpad doesnt work great (though afaik apple touchpads are exactly as bad with windows under bootcamp, most of why they are so good is implemented in apple-propriteray software)

lol

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

yeah it sucks, its old but the hardware is perfectly operational

core duo cpu, cant run mac os newer than 10.6 and even chrome said "after next version no more 32-bit chrome, your on your own, good luck with those future security problems youll never get fixes for"

so its linux or paperweight/garbage, and having an extra computer around does come in handy reasonably often

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lysidas posted:

core duo cpu, cant run mac os newer than 10.6 and even chrome said "after next version no more 32-bit chrome, your on your own, good luck with those future security problems youll never get fixes for"

so its linux or paperweight/garbage, and having an extra computer around does come in handy reasonably often

LOL

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Lysidas posted:

ughhh stop trolling

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
except for the touchpad linux maks a mac much more usable

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Lysidas posted:

except for the touchpad linux maks a mac much more usable

this was after i stopped trolling fyi

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you sure

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i just know that touchpads in windows are so bad that linux is actually an improvement on any non-mac laptop

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
meanwhile the trackpad in OSX is so loving outstanding that (caveat: i don't play james or shop photos) i dont even have a mouse. i mean, this new imac came with one, and it's in the "starter kit box" that it came in in a drawer.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sniep posted:

meanwhile the trackpad in OSX is so loving outstanding that (caveat: i don't play james or shop photos) i dont even have a mouse. i mean, this new imac came with one, and it's in the "starter kit box" that it came in in a drawer.

fuckin nice

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
while i've made trackpads tolerable with linux, yeah mac trackpads are actually a pleasure to use

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

that's some stymie-level poo poo

pick the aspect MacBooks are most renowned for and start talking like it's common knowledge that it's terrible

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pram posted:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
remember when windows 95 checked if the program was named SIMCITY95.EXE and if so used an old version of the memory manager with a free() behavior that sim city depended on to work properly

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

yes.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

there's halo for iPhone now

penguinwarfare
Dec 19, 2005
Sir Lord Master In Command
5 dollars each and look exactly the same.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

m'adobe

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pram posted:

BING UP YOUR rear end!!

BURIES THE COMPETITION

now post the realized market share graphs

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
trying to find a window to restart windows servers since everything is unresponsive now, is it normal or are my co-workers and me more incompetent than normal, or maybe it's the hosting company that is bad at it. I like to mock good old m'soft but I'm totally open to other possibilities.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

program666 posted:

trying to find a window to restart windows servers since everything is unresponsive now, is it normal or are my co-workers and me more incompetent than normal, or maybe it's the hosting company that is bad at it. I like to mock good old m'soft but I'm totally open to other possibilities.
i guess patching iis is outdated these days?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
We have to restart the servers like twice a year, I don't know why but eventually they get really loving slow, to the point of making Event Viewer crash, Services timing out when I try to start them, etc. I remember people saying windows is able to manage RAM better now so it's quite possible something we are doing wrong. Maybe the server just can't take like 10 different IIS apps with their own app pools plus the sql server or something. We only have like 20 simultaneous users tops. I don't know enough about these things to post about it I guess.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Luigi Thirty posted:

Microsoft and Japan have a storied history

so does dominos

axolotl farmer posted:

wasn't Halo supposed to be a MacOS exclusive originally?

yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eZ2yvWl9nQ

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ummmmm, looks terrible. HAHA, JKLOL. Halo has come a long way and is one of my favorite games. But this Halo game, kinda sucks

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

satya is one of time's 100 most influential people

and aaron levie got to write his blurb :allears:

quote:

Satya is basically the star of one of those teen movies where the parents go out of town and the kid takes control of the place. And it’s been great.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Pinterest Mom posted:

*montage of satya putting on sun glasses as dozens of new surface and xbox products slide out on a makeshift conveyor belt in a cardboard box labeled "ideas" and kids run up to buy them with hard earned cash, Bill and Steve roll up and see the house turned into a microsoft store*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pinterest Mom posted:

does that guy realize the teen ends up ruining the house literally every time

• Locked thread