Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

WickedHate posted:

Working for The Escapist is like working for Fox News. I can't imagine this is a good career choice.

Except that Fox News brings in tons of money and most reports say The Escapist is a rapidly sinking ship.

I.e: Fox News is a better place to work (if you don't mind selling your soul)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mokinokaro posted:

Except that Fox News brings in tons of money and most reports say The Escapist is a rapidly sinking ship.

I.e: Fox News is a better place to work (if you don't mind selling your soul)

True, I wasn't being clear. Your selling your soul to both but at least you'd be successful with Fox News.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Please. Clicking links is for people who want to make informed decisions.

(And really, who would have thought there'd be more than one musical act called "Belly"?!?)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

See you later, space cowboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me5Nm0wDUFU

As per usual, the live-actions bits will make no sense to non-longtime viewers. This is the final DStecks video, marking the end of the storyline (and all storylines).

DStecks fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 19, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You seriously quitting?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

You seriously quitting?

No, I'm retiring the character of DStecks. All future reviews, I'll just be Daniel Steckly.

I've been "playing" him since the age of 14. It's time to move on. And it was never clear to what extent Bad Reviews DStecks was me or not, so I just want to make things simpler.

EDIT: It's part of a broader move I'm making away from the oldschool TGWTG format, and dubiously-not-just-me characters were always a staple of that style.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 19, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

lornekates posted:

Harvey Danger released an entire album, "Little by Little", free via bittorrent in 2005. They did it explicitly as a "gently caress you" to the music industry that was demonizing the Internet and suing fans. It has 100k+ downloads, had a physical printing, and a song ported to Rock Band. I remember when they made that announcement-- it was before Radiohead did their "pay what you can" album.

The album itself is pretty good (I love Moral Centralia), and is still available for free on the band's site: http://www.harveydanger.com/downloads/ (they have a donation link to help pay for bandwidth).

The band broke up in 2009.

Yeah Harvey Danger had a few legit good albums, the vocals aren't for everyone I imagine but in addition to Moral Centralia I also especially like War Buddies and Cool James off the album. Check it out, youtube is free and easy nowadays but they're also on spotify/etc

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

WickedHate posted:

True, I wasn't being clear. Your selling your soul to both but at least you'd be successful with Fox News.

i, for one, see no difference in working for a company notable for shady business practices in the past and literally being Hitler.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Genetic Toaster posted:

i, for one, see no difference in working for a company notable for shady business practices in the past and literally being Hitler.

It's not like the Escapist hides their pro GG slant, not to mention their shameless hiring of that transphobic fuckface, who mainly writes on a hardcore conservative site which I'm pretty sure is also owned by the Escapist's parent company.

So yeah, pretty much. The Escapist is a less successful Fox News.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
This isn't related to the Escapist, or anything/anyone in particular, but just in general. Is it weird to dislike someone/something for any number of reasons, but still respecting their thoughts and opinions about any subject, be it anime or movies or novels or what have you?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

This isn't related to the Escapist, or anything/anyone in particular, but just in general. Is it weird to dislike someone/something for any number of reasons, but still respecting their thoughts and opinions about any subject, be it anime or movies or novels or what have you?

Nope, that's just being mature in your line of thinking. You can hate someone for being a shitlord but still acknowledge their skills and opinions.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's how I feel about Jay O!

And, truthfully, a lot of older Nostalgia Critic episodes make really good points and can be insightful sometimes. Absolute scumbags make really good stuff from time to time, making it all the more tragic they are scumbags.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Annointed posted:

Nope, that's just being mature in your line of thinking. You can hate someone for being a shitlord but still acknowledge their skills and opinions.

I myself own a copy of Double Live Gonzo.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mraagvpeine posted:

You have that with pretty much every critic sooner or later. But as long as you can understand their reasoning, I don't think it is much of a problem. It can get a little grating if that isn't the case though.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

WickedHate posted:

And, truthfully, a lot of older Nostalgia Critic episodes make really good points and can be insightful sometimes. Absolute scumbags make really good stuff from time to time, making it all the more tragic they are scumbags.

As someone who hasn't watched a Nostalgia Critic episode in close to three years, has there been some kind of revelation that Doug is an absolute scumbag?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sad Mammal posted:

As someone who hasn't watched a Nostalgia Critic episode in close to three years, has there been some kind of revelation that Doug is an absolute scumbag?

Recently-ish, yeah.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Sad Mammal posted:

Aside from what's already been put in this thread and the last one, he's pretty much just a guy who'd rather ignore the bad things on his site. His brother Rob and other partner Mike are the real aggressive assholes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm still not over him casually dropping a slur too, to be honest.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
What annointed said. As Hope put it, he's passive and not malicious, but doesn't help in the slightest.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I watched his recent video on Demolition Man and I thought it was good for what it is and agreed with his opinion on it in the end (That it still a great fun movie) Surprised he didn't mention that Jack Black was in the movie.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

achillesforever6 posted:

I watched his recent video on Demolition Man and I thought it was good for what it is and agreed with his opinion on it in the end (That it still a great fun movie) Surprised he didn't mention that Jack Black was in the movie.

You have no idea how many times I have watched this movie and in all that time, I have never noticed Jack Black.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Mraagvpeine posted:

Of course. I have that relationship with Yahtzee Croshaw. I don't agree with most of his opinions, and I strongly suspect he's a bad person ("la la la I can't hear you if I pretend social injustice doesn't exist then it doesn't") but I still enjoy reading his opinions because of how refreshingly different they are, and how he at least has salient reasonings behind them.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Speaking of Yahtzee, one of his videos is on display at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image in Melbourne as an example of Australian digital media. I bet they also have one of Infamous Sphere’s videos in the rotation and I just didn’t happen to see it.

Anyway, I’m back from my vacation and I’ve got a new review of a film featuring the wacky antics that surround a dead stripper. It’s Lady of Burlesque on Cheapskate Reviews.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

WickedHate posted:

I was going to respond to this with "Gee, I sure do enjoy being compared to a site that endorses GooberGolf and called a shitlord just because I'm one of the few people that bothers to call out yer constant shitposting and passive-aggressive harassment of others across multiple threads."

But then she finally got banned praise Jesus so never mind! This thread just got a little brighter. :)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay O posted:

I was going to respond to this with "Gee, I sure do enjoy being compared to a site that endorses GooberGolf and called a shitlord just because I'm one of the few people that bothers to call out yer constant shitposting and passive-aggressive harassment of others across multiple threads."

But then she finally got banned praise Jesus so never mind! This thread just got a little brighter. :)

Lmao nobody was comparing you to anything, all she said was "I don't agree with her or like her but I like hearing her opinions"

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 19, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, I guess WickedHate pushed a point too far, I wonder what it wa:staredog:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Can't say I didn't see that coming, but not for the reason I thought it would be.

On a more on-topic side of things, I haven't been watching any NC lately, not since the dramabomb even if there were some things I agreed with some of the insights in the reviews. Still going strong on Cinema Snob and Baywatching though.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Jesus christ

So hey, did someone seriously give SFDebris $1300 to watch 52 episodes of an anime that just looks boring and forgettable, cause drat that's a lotta cash

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

FirstAidKite posted:

Lmao nobody was comparing you to anything, all she said was "I don't agree with them but I like hearing your opinions"

Original post is in reference to liking The Escapist content despite their unethical behavior, directly calls them shitlords, person responds with "That's how I feel about Jay O!", ergo I am being called a shitlord and compared to The Escapist.

She and I got on each others' nerves plenty in other threads too, so I know where she's coming from, I'm just grateful for the reprieve. 'Nuff said.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

FirstAidKite posted:

Jesus christ

So hey, did someone seriously give SFDebris $1300 to watch 52 episodes of an anime that just looks boring and forgettable, cause drat that's a lotta cash

Did he start a new series, because I think all the ones he does currently are just 12 episodes.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I hope he takes a look at KOTOR 2 one day, it's a perfect combination of great writing and massive flaws that should make for great commentary/review.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

=wrong thread

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

e X posted:

Did he start a new series, because I think all the ones he does currently are just 12 episodes.

Nah, talkin about his Full Moon thing. He said it's a 52 episode series and someone paid him to review the whole thing.

Jay O posted:

Original post is in reference to liking The Escapist content despite their unethical behavior, directly calls them shitlords, person responds with "That's how I feel about Jay O!", ergo I am being called a shitlord and compared to The Escapist.

????

You mean that post that starts off with "This isn't related to the Escapist"??

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

echopapa posted:

Speaking of Yahtzee, one of his videos is on display at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image in Melbourne as an example of Australian digital media. I bet they also have one of Infamous Sphere’s videos in the rotation and I just didn’t happen to see it.

Haha, well if they do, they certainly didn't tell me about it :)

I also have the distinction of being from Australia's least favourite city, which is a bit of a handicap. Interestingly (?) enough, I applied for a job at the ACMI for their hollywood costume exhibition, but I think a lot of people applied for the same job and they probably wanted to give it to someone who wasn't going to have to uproot themselves and travel 8 hours south.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

FirstAidKite posted:

Jesus christ

Eh, I figure there's a fan for almost anything. Maybe for that person, Full Moon just resonated right down to their loving core at a bad time in their life.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

Eh, I figure there's a fan for almost anything. Maybe for that person, Full Moon just resonated right down to their loving core at a bad time in their life.

I'm jelly, I wish I could get $1300 to watch an anime and make videos saying "eh this episode sure was a thing that happened I guess"

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jay O posted:

Good loving riddance.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
why did this forum tolerate a known incest-pedo for so long, especially one as insufferable and incessant as WickedHate?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yeah after I saw that in that thread I was hoping this would happen, I know the Toonami thread is going to be happy about this. Ugh I had the same type of person say I was being offensive when I said that the romance subplot in SAO was gross because apparently its okay to have romantic feelings towards your siblings in Japan. To which I replied with a portrait of Charles the Second of Spain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

DoctorWhat posted:

why did this forum tolerate a known incest-pedo for so long, especially one as insufferable and incessant as WickedHate?

The dim hope of developing self-awareness and tact? :frog:

• Locked thread