Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Also that Russian Hotline Miami released: Bloodbath Kavkaz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcWATNtAv88&t=32s

The Steam reviews are already great:

quote:

First i like to say this game is in the territory of being called a Bootleg. The game feels like a hotline miami game but with it being filled with copyrighted materials (Trollface, Rickroll in a chiptune, and other memes)

quote:

It's a horrible game, made to make russians look bad. Well done, polski and hacholski, your plan worked out.
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
So it's Hotline Miami, expect you play a Russian hitman murdering American Mobsters?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

With :frogsiren: hilarious internet memes :frogsiren: don't forget

I have never been rick roll'd by a game (or at all in like ten years) but there's a first time for everything

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

The only video game movie I need in my life is Super Mario Bros., got no room for any others and especially not bad documentaries about the contents of some bundle I bought.

Agreed, but I think Red Alert 3 would make a fine movie.

e: GTA V has a metacritic of 97%? There's no way it's that good.

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 21, 2015

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009
Goon-favourite Jack Orlando is on sale for 70 cents:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/253960

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Agreed, but I think Red Alert 3 would make a fine movie.

Only if we can get Tim Curry back.

Re; GTA V, I think the story is your typical Rockstar tripe, but the online is super fun.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The online was completely broken when it launched on last gen consoles, from what I remember, and it still had that kind of metacritic score.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Orv posted:

Only if we can get Tim Curry back.

Re; GTA V, I think the story is your typical Rockstar tripe, but the online is super fun.

Tim Curry would be up for anything.

There's one other person I have a feeling would be tougher to recall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuu5w1yabSw - Spoiler for ending of Red Alert 3

Orv
May 4, 2011

PowerBeard posted:

Tim Curry would be up for anything.

There's one other person I have a feeling would be tougher to recall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuu5w1yabSw - Spoiler for ending of Red Alert 3

No man no, The Hoff is down for anything too, any time.

Here be a YouTube link because embeds spoil the spoiler.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Orv posted:

The main game is mostly pretty fun, I think. Basing it around heists was a pretty good decision. However, opinions, assholes, etc.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Orv posted:

No man no, The Hoff is down for anything too, any time.

Here be a YouTube link because embeds spoil the spoiler.

drat, so this is what the Hotline Miami movie would look like?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Maybe? It's coming out for free on the 28th of May and it's looking like a cross between Iron Sky and Far Cry: Blood Dragon, so I'm potentially excited.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Ok, now I'm looking forward to seeing it more Avengers 2.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Keep in mind it's also a short film which probably is to Kung Fury's advantage. An hour or more of that probably wouldnt work but 30 minutes should be a nice sweet spot.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Shima Honnou posted:

I thought Valve fixed the random Russians and beggars invite problem. I've gotten three invites from [uninitialized] people since then, the only thing that's changed is they don't have a name to look at before I hit block.

A bunch of :spergin: whinged and the change is no longer retroactive. Hence, the move is now largely useless for solving the spambot problem.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Delusibeta posted:

A bunch of :spergin: whinged and the change is no longer retroactive. Hence, the move is now largely useless for solving the spambot problem.

Fuckin' spergs, just buy a $10 game there's thousands of decent to good games on Steam and some of them go on sale constantly.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So Ronin released a demo on Steam. You might remember it making the rounds a month or so ago being chatted at in a sort of Mark of the Gunpoint sort of way.

I think it's got some good ideas but I think those comparisons are going to hurt it a lot in more critical sectors. The gameplay itself is pretty fun; You've got a sword which OHKs everything, a jump move and a grappling hook. The jump is gravity affected and from standstill only, but anyone it impacts will be knocked down. When the game enters an alert/combat it goes turn-based. Anyone knocked down will have a timer over them until they rise. Your average meatsuit with gun takes one turn to draw a gun and one turn to fire. You get bullet lines for each shot coming that turn so your main defense against people who manage to get their gun out is jumping. Stabbing someone you are next to/over takes one turn.

This all combines so that when you have four guys in a room, you jump around knocking them down, taking out who you can in-between dodging shots and knocking them down again. Interesting, but I think it's a better puzzle game than a tactics game, where figuring out how to kill everyone before they draw their gun is more satisfying. YMMV on that. The mixup comes in the final demo level where you fight what I can only describe as a Bushido Blade robot. Or a Kurosawa robot, if you prefer. They move in one turn, get bullet lines like a guards gun, and move almost immediately across an entire space in that one turn. If they intersect you you die, and they have a one turn cooldown on their slash.

Aside from the tactics/puzzle aspects, there isn't much to do or see. The game looks unflatteringly like Gunpoint, with a soundtrack that oozes style but without the visuals to match it, and the mouse control on the jumping is sort of horrible. The fact remains that Mark of the Ninja is probably still a better 2D sword-em-up.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 21, 2015

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it does show the correct 360 buttons for things. Or do you mean the colours specifically?

oh poo poo

Nah, the dozen hours-ish I dumped into the game during Early Access, this wasn't in the game. I did some cursory googling about controls a couple days ago when it was announced it was coming out of EA and didn't see anything saying it had changed.

Looking forward to giving it a spin with a controller now!

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

Delusibeta posted:

It should work once they run out of old accounts.
At least I think that Valve is deleting or blocking their spamming accounts all the time, but until now they could have a new one up and running in few seconds.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
Edit: gently caress it, I'll keep the non-Steam version of GTA V. Ignore me!

Retroblique fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 21, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

It's much, much better than GTA IV and yet they're about even on Metacritic (actually GTA IV has a single percent higher but whatever). I'd say GTA V's in the low 90's and GTA IV should be in the low 80's if that. But I guess I don't review games for a living so what do I know?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Sonance posted:

gently caress it, I'm an idiot and rushed to buy GTA V on Green Man Gaming with a 20% coupon for $48, totally ignoring the blurb that would have told me it's NOT a Steam key and needs to be activated and downloaded separately via Rockstar Social Club.

The Rockstar Social Club really isn't all that bad, you don't have to give it away just because it isn't on Steam.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Some people really must have all their video games in one place and I don't quite understand why.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Lord Lambeth posted:

Some people really must have all their video games in one place and I don't quite understand why.
I normally don't care where my games are, but in the case of GTA V I really wanted to do some Steam Broadcasting for some friends (who are apparently allergic to Twitch) and the Steam overlay seems to be hugely problematic with non-Steam versions of GTA V. Plus I know Steam's going to automatically patch my game, whereas I assume Rockstar Social will only inform me of new updates when I launch the loader. Not really a big deal in either case, so I probably could live with the non-Steam version. But a Steam version would just be a teensy bit more convenient.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sonance posted:

I normally don't care where my games are, but in the case of GTA V I really wanted to do some Steam Broadcasting for some friends (who are apparently allergic to Twitch)

While I can't necessarily say I blame them since the community is a loving cesspool, alternatives like Livestreamer exist (and are way better than using the stupid website).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Use Hitbox.tv instead of Twitch. Steam broadcasting works fine if it's just for friends I guess, but it's not worth the hassle of reselling and rebuying the game over.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Okay, gently caress it, I'll keep the non-Steam version. Now I just need to find a spare 60GB somewhere.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Koburn posted:

Hotline Miami ripoff Bloodbath Kavkaz came out yesterday and somehow already has 42 reviews, which are mostly positive :wtf:

According to some of the reviews the intro song apparently will, after the EDM drop shift into rick roll lol. Anyone wants to confirm?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Use Hitbox.tv instead of Twitch. Steam broadcasting works fine if it's just for friends I guess, but it's not worth the hassle of reselling and rebuying the game over.

You can add the game to Steam as a non-steam game and still stream the game with Steam broadcasting. It works with most games.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Palpek posted:

Some documentary about indie game developers is coming out on Steam today: GameLoading: Rise of the Indies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw7pt6hC23w

The trailer makes it look a bit too "indie games are making a difference in the world irl" self back-patting but might be an interesting watch anyways.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Shima Honnou posted:

Fuckin' spergs, just buy a $10 game there's thousands of decent to good games on Steam and some of them go on sale constantly.

I can kind of understand it though - my friends can't buy games so they play either F2P or bundle games I get for them. :v: Under those new limitations, they'd be pretty limited.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vidya Games: Srs Business

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

The online was completely broken when it launched on last gen consoles, from what I remember, and it still had that kind of metacritic score.

It was still a good game, and GTA wasn't traditionally about the multiplayer. The difference between GTA IV and V is night and day. Shame they locked down the PC version, or I might have bought it on three formats, and I'm not really into multiplayer.

Finally got around to Watch_Dogs after being bought it for Christmas; they really screwed the pooch there. Apart from Aiden Pearce having the depth of a puddle, they appear to have attempted to use the AssCreed model to create a GTA clone, and while the world is well-realized, the whole thing doesn't hang well and feels awkward, lumpy and overly beset by minigames and diversions. Given that I obtained an assault rifle for my first CtOS server hack, I can't decide if it wants me to be stealthy or KiLl EvERyONe. So I killed everyone with the silenced pistol and a bunch of faulty wiring.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Uh, what was the first game industry crash?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It was in the early-mid 80s, brought about by horrible shovelware. As legend goes Nintendo pulled us back from the brink with Officially-Licensed Quality.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ragequit posted:

Uh, what was the first game industry crash?

Presumably they're talking about the big game economy crash in the 80s which was completely incomparable and happened for totally different reasons.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
GTA 5 really has it in for hipsters for some reason. I mean, they stereotype everything(intentionally, of course), but they keep getting back to hipsters over and over.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Sonance posted:

Okay, gently caress it, I'll keep the non-Steam version. Now I just need to find a spare 60GB somewhere.

You can even run it through Steam by setting the launcher to "Run as Administrator" and then adding it via the non-Steam games tool.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Presumably they're talking about the big game economy crash in the 80s which was completely incomparable and happened for totally different reasons.

Wiki posted:

Adding to the industry's woes was a glut of poor titles from hastily-financed startup companies.

So, 'poor titles' like those that get greenlit everyday, and 'hastily-financed' like kickstarter games?

:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

So, 'poor titles' like those that get greenlit everyday, and 'hastily-financed' like kickstarter games?

:tinfoil:

The people complaining about the movie thing in the Steam discussions are the same people who buy every visual novel

• Locked thread