Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah, part of me already knew that to be the case, but optimism and such gets in the way. If Hillary steals from Bernie and O'Malley and Warren though, great. I just don't trust she'd actually do any of those things.

Also, keep in mind that the President isn't the only Democrat who can do things. The issues raised in campaigns matter, especially when the candidates make them mainstream in the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Yeah someone "primarying hillary from the left" is just the hope that she will be forced to endorse popular progressive programs, and perhaps will shift the rest of the national conversation with it.

Just like how all the crackpot idiot republicans from 2012 shifted everything super far to the right even though they had no chance of winning, Romney was forced to say a bunch of deplorable things and everyone got used to the idea that maybe having slaves again wouldn't be so bad.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah, part of me already knew that to be the case, but optimism and such gets in the way. If Hillary steals from Bernie and O'Malley and Warren though, great. I just don't trust she'd actually do any of those things.
Its the most important thing she learned from Obama (after 'run a savvy internet campaign').

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Zwabu posted:

The GOP should be really concerned about that gender gap, it's absolutely ridiculous.

If it's a legitimate gender gap the party has ways of shutting it down

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

I just don't trust she'd actually do any of those things.

Why not?

I mean, when I think of her I think of someone who never gives up and just keeps pushing an issue till it gets done. She started pushing healthcare reform as First Lady, for example, and made it a centerpiece of her 2008 presidential campaign forcing everyone else to have a plan and ensuring that no matter who won something would have to get done.

I'm serious, she is in the record in 2007 saying she was going to do it on purpose:

http://www.pewforum.org/2008/11/04/religion-and-politics-08-hillary-clinton/

quote:

She had called universal health coverage "a moral and health imperative " and says she plans to make healthcare "the no. 1 voting issue in the 2008 election". In the April 2007 democratic debate Clinton said that, "we've got to control and decrease costs for everyone."

And She did. It was masterful. By making her campaign be all about health care reform she forced the other candidates to come up with their own plans and make promises on the topic. Even if she lost, she won.

I honestly think the LBJ comparisons are spot on with her. I mean seriously people, when you guys talk about her I want to ask if there are two Hillary Clinton's and if you are talking about some other person.

She can do the exact same thing as politicians you like - but when she does it you ignore it until forced to look at it then hand wave it away declaring that if something she said/did conflicts with your mental image of what you want her to be that reality is wrong and your battlestar galactica style head-hillary is right.

Almost every time I read people badmouthing her and go googling for justification I come up empty or with a history of the opposite of what people are claiming about her.

For example:

Warren says in a local interview: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/10/17/graphic-for-senate-tax-story/lAKywM5PS185ALHfQojuzH/story.html

Raise capital gains taxes to 20%

Repeal the Bush tax cuts.

Clinton says in a nationally televised debate: http://www.ontheissues.org/celeb/Hillary_Clinton_Tax_Reform.htm

Repeal the bush tax cuts and return brackets to where they were in the 90's cause it worked for us then.

Warren wants to end oil and gas subsidies. So does hillary. In fact, Hillary has voted to do exactly that in the senate http://eaglefordtexas.com/news/id/150340/what-would-another-clinton-president-mean-for-oil-and-gas/ it's on her permanent record.

Who said this - Warren or clinton?

quote:

Tax incentives for alternate energy investments are unpredictable at best, while generous subsides for fossil fuels are still to easy to come by.

Clinton. From the link above. And in 2007 she co-sponsored an initiative to get the US on 25 % renewables by 2025.

Ohh we wuuuv Elizabeth and hate dat mean old Hillary! Yes we do!

I know I know. If Clinton said something good and has a decades long voting record supporting the good thing it must be just a long con. It's like satan putting fossils in the ground to fool you into thinking evolution happened. It can't actually be because she is motivated by making the world a better place as best she can.

The stuff I don't like about her I never see any of you mention. When you read her actual words - not punditry trying to cast her as some 2-D trope - you realize she is rather more religious than the media paints her.

It's the good kind of religious, duty to the poor, moral obligation, have a decent side of oblige with your noblesse. But religion is a team gop thing so the media downplays the faith of team democrat a lot and I was surprised to see it when I started seriously researching her ( pssst, serious research means you stop reading what other people say about her and start looking at stuff she actually said/did ).

Hillary Clinton posted:

I realized at a very young age that I'd been blessed, and I was called by my faith and by my upbringing to do what I could to give others the same opportunities that I take for granted.

I find that Jesus aftertaste unpleasant but the sentiment is a good one and her actions in public service have consistently reflected her words. I see no evidence of hucksterism in her references to faith - how could there be since the media consistently ignores it? - and her God tells her to do nice things rather than hate gays or whatever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Joementum posted:

Coming this summer from the publishers of the Rand Paul comic book.

Why does he have jizz on his forehead?

chitoryu12 posted:

In what context do these look good? At least to anyone except the GOP?

To the brogramming culture in Silicon Valley those are comedy gold.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

Why does he have jizz on his forehead?

*Insert Koch-sucker joke here*
Also that's a pretty horrible drawing of Jeb, it looks nothing like him, and Jeb also doesn't have a hunchback. that we know of, at least.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

McAlister posted:

Why not?

I mean, when I think of her I think of someone who never gives up and just keeps pushing an issue till it gets done. She started pushing healthcare reform as First Lady, for example, and made it a centerpiece of her 2008 presidential campaign forcing everyone else to have a plan and ensuring that no matter who won something would have to get done.

I'm serious, she is in the record in 2007 saying she was going to do it on purpose:

http://www.pewforum.org/2008/11/04/religion-and-politics-08-hillary-clinton/

And She did. It was masterful. By making her campaign be all about health care reform she forced the other candidates to come up with their own plans and make promises on the topic. Even if she lost, she won.

I honestly think the LBJ comparisons are spot on with her. I mean seriously people, when you guys talk about her I want to ask if there are two Hillary Clinton's and if you are talking about some other person.

She can do the exact same thing as politicians you like - but when she does it you ignore it until forced to look at it then hand wave it away declaring that if something she said/did conflicts with your mental image of what you want her to be that reality is wrong and your battlestar galactica style head-hillary is right.

Almost every time I read people badmouthing her and go googling for justification I come up empty or with a history of the opposite of what people are claiming about her.

For example:

Warren says in a local interview: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/10/17/graphic-for-senate-tax-story/lAKywM5PS185ALHfQojuzH/story.html

Repeal the Bush tax cuts.

Clinton says in a nationally televised debate: http://www.ontheissues.org/celeb/Hillary_Clinton_Tax_Reform.htm

Repeal the bush tax cuts and return brackets to where they were in the 90's cause it worked for us then.

Warren wants to end oil and gas subsidies. So does hillary. In fact, Hillary has voted to do exactly that in the senate http://eaglefordtexas.com/news/id/150340/what-would-another-clinton-president-mean-for-oil-and-gas/ it's on her permanent record.

Who said this - Warren or clinton?

Clinton. From the link above. And in 2007 she co-sponsored an initiative to get the US on 25 % renewables by 2025.

Ohh we wuuuv Elizabeth and hate dat mean old Hillary! Yes we do!

I know I know. If Clinton said something good and has a decades long voting record supporting the good thing it must be just a long con. It's like satan putting fossils in the ground to fool you into thinking evolution happened. It can't actually be because she is motivated by making the world a better place as best she can.

The stuff I don't like about her I never see any of you mention. When you read her actual words - not punditry trying to cast her as some 2-D trope - you realize she is rather more religious than the media paints her.

It's the good kind of religious, duty to the poor, moral obligation, have a decent side of oblige with your noblesse. But religion is a team gop thing so the media downplays the faith of team democrat a lot and I was surprised to see it when I started seriously researching her ( pssst, serious research means you stop reading what other people say about her and start looking at stuff she actually said/did ).

I find that Jesus aftertaste unpleasant but the sentiment is a good one and her actions in public service have consistently reflected her words. I see no evidence of hucksterism in her references to faith - how could there be since the media consistently ignores it? - and her God tells her to do nice things rather than hate gays or whatever.

This is a good post and I might copy it to my facebook wall

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Yeah but she was on the board for Walmart!! and she cackled like a hen about throwing out evidence or something one time!!

There's literally nothing. She is the next President of the United States.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

This is a good post and I might copy it to my facebook wall

Yeah, but I'd edit out all the condesending hillaryis44 bullshit.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
also the stuff about how religion is bad and "jesus leaves a bad taste in my mouth". Im more copying the sentiment and citations

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Waka Flocka Flame for President:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyd_eIgrnfk

You know what goons? I think everythings gonna be ok.

"gently caress the congress, I'm the president. I am congress" - POTUS Waka Flocks Flame

AcidRonin fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 21, 2015

usbombshell
Oct 29, 2004

Boom!

AcidRonin posted:

Waka Flocka Flame for President:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyd_eIgrnfk

You know what goons? I think everythings gonna be ok.

"gently caress the congress, I'm the president. I am congress" - POTUS Waka Flocks Flame

Sorry Flocka, but I am a single-issue voter and I am pro-dogs in restaurants :colbert:

derra
Dec 29, 2012
While I agree with the sentiment of the Hillary post, does my memory fail me or was it not John Edwards who actually put forward the first healthcare reform plan on the table during the '08 primary season? I liked his the best, because he wanted to also create a government program (or expand one of Medicare/caid, I forget exactly) and outright stated that if it was more efficient than private insurance it would become defacto single payer.

The only substantial policy difference between Hillary and Obama is that Hillary wanted the personal mandate, which Obama was against. If you don't like either, sure, but I don't see how people could be so enthusiastic about one candidate and not another from a policy perspective.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
They've reached an agreement on the abortion language for the human trafficking bill (Hyde restrictions will apply to funds used for healthcare and medical services), which means that the Lynch confirmation logjam will break this week or early next.

Wrap it up, Holderailures, he's only got a few more days in office.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

McAlister posted:

This I already all knew. In fact, she's all wrapped up in that Doug Coe Fellowship bullshit where they worship power and such. She can go gently caress herself.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I have more problem with the fact that Hillary is another member of the same two families that have been in our presidential campaigns for the past 30 years than I am with her, herself.

It helps that there are so many people who hate her so irrationally that they can't make any real policy critique against her because that would open them up to a reasonable response which would only help her.

It should be really obvious how much fear she strikes into them that they feel such a need to be trying to tear her down literally years before she is "Running"

If they had been this afraid of Obama they would have been writing dreams of my real father after his 2004 speech.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Joementum posted:

They've reached an agreement on the abortion language for the human trafficking bill (Hyde restrictions will apply to funds used for healthcare and medical services), which means that the Lynch confirmation logjam will break this week or early next.

Is this a complete Republican victory as far as that bill goes? They traded a vote on Lynch for all the language they wanted?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

RuanGacho posted:

Also known as the only republican war strategy.

Worked for Lincoln, who are you to second-guess him?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
So, uhh, when did Yahoo News start doing actually honest-to-goodness investigative journalism on its own?

quote:

The NRA’s brazen shell game with donations: A Yahoo News investigation - Alan Berlow for Yahoo News - April 21, 2015

Early last summer I began making contributions to the National Rifle Association — a dollar here, a dollar there — to see where my money would end up. Some of it quickly found its way into the account of the National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund, the NRA’s political action committee. And that was of no small interest, because I never knowingly contributed to the NRA-PVF... But my contributions and others like them may be a big problem for the NRA because, according to some of the nation’s top experts on federal election law, they are all illegal.
“There are at least three clear violations” of federal law, says Brett Kappel, an expert on political law and campaign finance at the law firm Akerman LLP. “First of all, they can’t be soliciting from the general public at their website. Then there’s the fact that the money is not being solicited in the name of the PAC; they have to say it’s for the PAC and what the political purpose of the PAC is. And then there are multiple missing disclaimers such as the disclaimer saying that contributions have to be voluntary.”
Nevertheless, among the top 25 political nonprofit groups spending money in federal elections in 2012, only the NRA failed to report any of its political expenditures to the IRS. The other politically active nonprofits all acknowledged when they were involved in direct or indirect political activity, filed the required IRS reporting schedule with their tax return, declared how much they spent to support or oppose candidates, and paid any tax owed.
Larry Noble, who was general counsel at the Federal Election Commission for 13 years, now serving as senior counsel at the Campaign Legal Center, said there was no question that the way the NRA solicited my contributions violated federal election law if the money went into a PVF account. “The bottom line is that it is illegal for the NRA to solicit money for the ILA and have that money go to the PVF. I don’t see how your contributions could legally be put in the PVF account.”
The NRA has been able to hide the full extent of its corporate political spending from the IRS by answering “no” to the following question on its IRS Form 990 tax returns, the tax form required of tax-exempt organizations: “Did the organization engage in direct or indirect political campaign activities on behalf of or in opposition to candidates for public office?”
The NRA neglected to report these expenditures for seven years beginning in 2007.
According to attorney Brett Kappel, the NRA could also be targeted for violations of federal or state consumer fraud statutes. “You can’t make false claims to the general public; you can’t ask for money for X for educational purposes when in fact the money is going to Y for political purposes,” said Kappel. “It would be a fraud for a 501(c​)(4) [like the NRA] to solicit money for itself but then divert it to another legal entity” such as the NRA Political Victory Fund.

Although, the author has written for the NYT, The Atlantic, and Harper's it's a strange thing to look at Yahoo for actual loving news.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

haveblue posted:

Is this a complete Republican victory as far as that bill goes? They traded a vote on Lynch for all the language they wanted?

Sort of. It basically divides the victims fund into two parts. The part funded by fines on offenders is free to be used on abortion. The part that comes from the general fund cannot.

EDIT: This comes in response to a fake compromise last week that would have routed fines through the general fund to "justify" applying the Hyde language to the whole.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 21, 2015

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

haveblue posted:

Couldn't Obama just veto it, or say "confirm Lynch now, or this bill gets it," and then just veto it anyway?

Or is there some other reason to sign it?

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 21, 2015

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Evil_Greven posted:

So, uhh, when did Yahoo News start doing actually honest-to-goodness investigative journalism on its own?

Although, the author has written for the NYT, The Atlantic, and Harper's it's a strange thing to look at Yahoo for actual loving news.

Yahoo has actually been doing this for a while. Their sportswriters do some of the best investigative pieces now that pretty much all other outlets are TMZ for sports.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIHPdf-Lh20

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lol of course he's coming to The Woodlands.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

BigBoss posted:

Yahoo has actually been doing this for a while. Their sportswriters do some of the best investigative pieces now that pretty much all other outlets are TMZ for sports.
Yeah Mayer has been making a push for better content. But oh god their pages are so loving busy and confusing ugh.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

I thought the upper-right corner said "Hurray, Seating is limited!"

I'm also way more interested in Mattress Mack than Donald Trump.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I was hoping Mattress Mack was a rapper, but it turns out hes just a furniture salesman. :sigh:

E: Mattress Mack will be far more entertaining than the hairpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1bBx3bXRlg

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 21, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Totally gonna get veteran tickets, but why the gently caress is it in the Woodlands? That isn't Houston!

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 21, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bitcoin bastard posted:

I was hoping Mattress Mack was a rapper, but it turns out hes just a furniture salesman. :sigh:

E: Mattress Mack will be far more entertaining than the hairpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1bBx3bXRlg

He's pretty Texas famous, I'm sure all states have their famous local pitchmen though.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lol at my old high school jesus christ

I worked for Matress Mack one christmas break and the dude is working himself to death. He looked like he was pushing 80 but he was only in his mid 50s at the time. A massive overbearing dick to his employees (he has cameras that he watches and will call you out over the PA) but he was nice to us temp workers and paid for us to go the A&M bowl game so that was cool. I might have to go to this.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mattress Mack is a far better businessman than Donald Trump.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That's a pretty low bar to clear

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Nonsense posted:

Yeah but she was on the board for Walmart!! and she cackled like a hen about throwing out evidence or something one time!!

There's literally nothing. She is the next President of the United States.

Anyone who at any point voted for the Iraq War should be barred from being POTU. She became Secretary of State to boost her foreign policy record, but there's nothing indicative that she did any of a better job than Kerry did, nor come off as being nothing but more hawkish.

Anyone should be skeptical unless she swears up and down to continue Obama's policies on Iran, Cuba, and Israel.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Can anyone recommend a good source for TISA, GATS, "first/second/third/fourth/fifth pillars of X" type stuff? What I've read about TISA seems so awful that it verges on the conspiratorial.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ReidRansom posted:

How many bankruptcies have had his name on the caption? I'm assuming far fewer than Trump.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I don't know if its been posted but the Atlantic did a good longform article on ISIS. http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

Worth a read if you don't know much about their motivations or how they fit into the dynamic of Al-Qaeda and other jihadists

That's a pretty controversial article for a lot of reasons, reasons that again, are better elucidated in the Middle East thread.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Shageletic posted:

Bring this opinion over to the Mideast thread of sadness. But here's a preview: you're incredibly wrong.

Shageletic posted:

That's a pretty controversial article for a lot of reasons, reasons that again, are better elucidated in the Middle East thread.

Bro just link to a post in that thread or something.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Evil_Greven posted:

Looking forward to absolutely nothing being done to the NRA whether out of apathy or fear of it being used as a rallying cry (and it would be).

ReidRansom posted:

Excuse me but Donald Trump is the American Success Story because he's made money despite going bankrupt multiple times AND he's had a popular reality TV show and that's some high quality TV right there. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Job Truniht posted:

Anyone who at any point voted for the Iraq War should be barred from being POTU. She became Secretary of State to boost her foreign policy record, but there's nothing indicative that she did any of a better job than Kerry did, nor come off as being nothing but more hawkish.

Anyone should be skeptical unless she swears up and down to continue Obama's policies on Iran, Cuba, and Israel.

The alternatives will have us bombing Iran within a month of taking office, full stop. This is not the time for whining about someone not being perfect.

• Locked thread