Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

pienipple posted:

It even says on the pump not to do that because then the pump can't click itself off and you'll spill gas.
Every pump I've ever used will click itself off even if the handle is depressed, probably for this very reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt Thorne
Apr 13, 2009

pienipple posted:

It even says on the pump not to do that because then the pump can't click itself off and you'll spill gas.

Are you three years old or possibly brain damaged?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh lord not this loving lovely derail again.

Lifehack: derail any thread by mentioning fuel pumps.

It doesn't really matter as long as you quickly mop up the spill with your handy roll of toilet paper, which you have hung in the proper overhand fashion for easy access.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

LPT: Only buy gas in Oregon, then you won't have to pump it yourself.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
In Florida, there's no rule about auto-pumping, so most gas stations have the ridges that trap the clip and allow for hands-free pumping, but some don't and force you to hold the handle the whole time. Why this is this way is a mystery. It's been said already, but the clip exists on gas handles, whether the law says that hands-free pumping is legal or not, because of mass production.

Hands-free pumping isn't inherently dangerous in any way unless you're an idiot, in which case you shouldn't be driving.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

taqueso posted:

Or New Jersey

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

It's 4011 for bananas, btw. I used to be a cashier at a grocery store, and they tested us on memorizing the produce codes. As a customer, there's usually a sticker on the thing with the code on it, so if you're honest, just look at the fruit and key in the code directly rather than going through the menu to find it. Or just go through the manned checkout because the people are faster than the computer second-guessing you scanning it yourself -- the local-ish chain I worked for also graded us on time, as a result of that I can outrun the self-checkout.

taqueso posted:

Or New Jersey, IIRC. If you're in one of the full-service states, marvel at how often the kid pumping your gas is sucking on a cigarette while he does. Kinda makes the "no cellphones at the pumps" rule in other states look even stupider.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Delivery McGee posted:

It's 4011 for bananas, btw. I used to be a cashier at a grocery store, and they tested us on memorizing the produce codes. As a customer, there's usually a sticker on the thing with the code on it, so if you're honest, just look at the fruit and key in the code directly rather than going through the menu to find it. Or just go through the manned checkout because the people are faster than the computer second-guessing you scanning it yourself -- the local-ish chain I worked for also graded us on time, as a result of that I can outrun the self-checkout.

Or New Jersey, IIRC. If you're in one of the full-service states, marvel at how often the kid pumping your gas is sucking on a cigarette while he does. Kinda makes the "no cellphones at the pumps" rule in other states look even stupider.

Self-checkouts are enticing because they tend to not have lines. If it's a time thing yeah it takes me longer to ring myself out than the cashier could do it but at the same time I don't need to wait for four other people. If the store also runs on a skeleton crew (like, you know, every Walmart currently in existence) there might be 9 or 10 people between me and the cashier.

The really stupid thing is that if memory serves Mythbusters proved that you literally can't ignite gas with a cellphone. It just doesn't happen. Smoking near gas, however, is incredibly stupid.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

well done steak

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

thespaceinvader posted:

I have to jam my gas cap in there so I can walk away from the pump and put beans in my chili.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bradzilla posted:

well done steak

Circumscion

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

Circumscion

Dr. Pepper is the best kind of coke

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Self-checkouts are enticing because they tend to not have lines. If it's a time thing yeah it takes me longer to ring myself out than the cashier could do it but at the same time I don't need to wait for four other people. If the store also runs on a skeleton crew (like, you know, every Walmart currently in existence) there might be 9 or 10 people between me and the cashier.

They're also much better if you're packing groceries into a backpack, which I do whenever I go shopping on my bike. No sense holding up the line while I Tetris my bread, eggs, and salad together.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The really stupid thing is that if memory serves Mythbusters proved that you literally can't ignite gas with a cellphone. It just doesn't happen. Smoking near gas, however, is incredibly stupid.

Cigarettes can't ignite gasoline.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This is certainly how it works in every supermarket I've seen that has them. There'll be one or two checkouts manned and half a dozen self checkouts with no queue. Plus, the self-checkout means you don't have to make polite small-talk with a stranger about what you're buying. It's win-win.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

rydiafan posted:

Cigarettes can't ignite gasoline.

Lighting one can.

Delivery McGee posted:

Someone should video this and post it in the OSHA thread

blunt for century has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Apr 21, 2015

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Lifehack: Burning Gasoline can't melt steel beams.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Lifehack: Burning Gasoline can't melt steel beams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRVKb0R0hwk&t=247s

Petrogen (gasoline+oxygen) Cutting Torch disagrees. :colbert:

blunt for century has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Apr 21, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Tiggum posted:

This is certainly how it works in every supermarket I've seen that has them. There'll be one or two checkouts manned and half a dozen self checkouts with no queue. Plus, the self-checkout means you don't have to make polite small-talk with a stranger about what you're buying. It's win-win.

I wish that were true for the supermarkets I go to. The self-checkouts often have the longest lines because everyone wants them, even the people with a full cart of groceries.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

ChaosArgate posted:

I wish that were true for the supermarkets I go to. The self-checkouts often have the longest lines because everyone wants them, even the people with a full cart of groceries.

Then, inevitably, the person in front of you gets an error message while scanning, and you stand there waiting for the clerk anyway. If you switch lines -- bam -- the person at that machine gets an error. I love self check-out, but I've never had it go faster than a regular line.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Self check outs are nice except it's made stores think they can get away with having those open and only three other register jockeys working at once.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

hyperhazard posted:

Then, inevitably, the person in front of you gets an error message while scanning, and you stand there waiting for the clerk anyway. If you switch lines -- bam -- the person at that machine gets an error. I love self check-out, but I've never had it go faster than a regular line.

Where I live they're always at least half unused. I've literally never had to wait for one.

Len posted:

Self check outs are nice except it's made stores think they can get away with having those open and only three other register jockeys working at once.

That's their purpose in existence which has its own :can:. I worked retail for a while and a major part of that was just the drive to wring as much work out of people as possible. I mean it when I say "skeleton crew." There were weeks I'd only be on the schedule for 32 hours but expected to do 120 hours of work and given grief if I didn't. poo poo got insane.

The other stupid part was the severely understaffed front end would pull people from the rest of the store which would then get no work done, ever, some days. Only then the manager would see all that nothing getting done and go on a rampage asking why stuff wasn't done. Of course one manager would say "go run register as long as it takes (basically, forever)" while another would say "no you need to leave after half an hour and get your work done." Of course both answers were wrong to somebody and you'd get in trouble no matter which you did.

Lifehack: give your employees contradictory orders then punish them when they inevitably fail some of them! Never give out raises ever again!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

blunt for century posted:

Petrogen (gasoline+oxygen) Cutting Torch disagrees. :colbert:
Once you add enough oxygen you can cut steel with a cucumber:
https://youtu.be/w9dskxN10N0
Counts as a lifehack, probably.

VictualSquid has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Apr 21, 2015

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
PYF Stupid Lifehacks: Handy Thread Derailing Tips

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

tonberrytoby posted:

Once you add enough oxygen you can cut steel with a cucumber:
https://youtu.be/w9dskxN10N0
Counts as a lifehack, probably.

Steelhack (to pieces) at least.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Lifehack: Make a candle out of a substance that can light on fire without a wick, and in a container that can also catch on fire.

Lifehack: Need a candle? Set your house on fire in a torrent of burning grease!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Ugh, Crisco... The only proper thing to do with it is set it on fire; true lard is the way to go :grannychef:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I'm also calling bullshit on the 45 days thing. A normal wax candle that size is probably good for 50-100 hours, and I can't imagine Crisco lasting 10x as long.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Trick for overhead drilling to keep the cuttings from falling all over you.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

It's called "Canadian eye-pro."

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Sentient Data posted:

Trick for overhead drilling to keep the cuttings from falling all over you.

Okay, that's actually a good idea.
Reminds me of this one:

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005

And that's the story of Jesus.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Where I live they're always at least half unused. I've literally never had to wait for one.

They're awesome for quick trips, and if you use them more than a couple of times it gets really easy to go stupid fast. I see people eyeing them suspiciously all the time, then take their five items to the manned lane with four people in the queue. The only problem is, in California, you can't buy booze there, which puts me in the manned lanes more often than not.

Lifehack: stop drinking and your life gets better except not really

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Don Baylor posted:

And that's the story of Hanukkah
:jewish:

No really, go look it up

The Glumslinger has a new favorite as of 04:58 on Apr 22, 2015

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

:jewish:

No really, go look it up
:thejoke:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

No really, go look it up

Joke-getting master.

An apple corer is great for removing warts

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Tiggum posted:

Cutting cherry tomatoes in half to use in salads is really common.

Reminds me of the way we used to sometimes eat oranges when I was a child: Use a choptick to punch a hole through the skin and wiggle it around to mush up the insides, then drink the juice through the hole.
The same hack works for most mental illnesses. Use an icepick to punch a hole through the corner of the eye and wiggle it around to mush up the insides.

Doctors hate this one weird trick invented by early 20th century neurosurgeons!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

cyberbug posted:

The same hack works for most mental illnesses. Use an icepick to punch a hole through the corner of the eye and wiggle it around to mush up the insides.

Doctors hate this one weird trick invented by early 20th century neurosurgeons!

Who gets to drink the juice through the hole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

taqueso posted:

Who gets to drink the juice through the hole?

That was usually reserved for the other patients. If they drink enough they'll be cured.