Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Thesoro posted:

reminder that going 80 instead of 65 on a 20 mile trip saves you three loving minutes you thoughtless piece of poo poo
speed limits where I live are 60-65 and people go 65-70. please adjust your fishmeching to your local variables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jonny 290 posted:

"8 and you won't be late. 9 and you're mine" - state trooper buddy

if your cutting it that close youd better hope your tires are the same diameter as stock and your speedometer is correct

ASK me about inadvertently speeding in a rented 20 year old jeep on 35s in a country that is Very Serious about traffic enforcement

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

speed o meter is a cool word

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PCjr sidecar posted:

if your cutting it that close youd better hope your tires are the same diameter as stock and your speedometer is correct

ASK me about inadvertently speeding in a rented 20 year old jeep on 35s in a country that is Very Serious about traffic enforcement

hahaha oh dude the Blazer was calibrated for stock tires, not the 33's it had.
about 17% fast. learn that real fuckin' fast

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

PCjr sidecar posted:

speed o meter is a cool word

almost as good as pedo-meter

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

reminder that travelling 65 on a roadway designed for 80 means that you're probably travelling ~15 slower than the rest of the traffic thus presenting an incredibly dangerous speed differential and risking the lives of everyone around you due to your rigid adherence to posted speed limits

i have been pulled over by the police both for going over the speed limit and for going at the speed limit.

one of these days i should get pulled over for driving below the speed limit and complete the trifecta

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

my speedos the other way even though i have stock tires :confused:
my odometer climbs too fast but at least i haven't gotten a speeding ticket in a while, except for a speed trap in wisconsin

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

depreciation!!! lol i've already got 160k on this subaru, i'm not selling this thing

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

As a Millennial I posted:

my speedos the other way
text me

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

one time I was working on a group project in school and we needed to drive from my house to someone else's house

well I didn't have her address so I just followed her big-rear end truck down a winding residential street doing about 50 in a 25

thank jeebus the place was deserted

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
sketchy labor practices as a service: http://jeremycai.com/labor.html

ever wanted to be uber, but you weren't sure you were using the right weasel words in your contracts? now you can have the certainty provided by OnboardIQ's one-size fits all employee abuse kit!

quote:

34-36% of the American workforce now consists of freelancers, including temps, moonlighters and independent contractors, and expected to hit 40% by 2020 (McKinsey, Intuit). Work is shifting towards decentralization and a model of inputs (worker acquisition cost minus worker churn) and outputs (unit economics of profitability dependent on underlying business model).

workers expect three or more jobs. it's the new economy, man

quote:

Labor is floating. In the past, a contractor would work for one or two companies at a time. Now, with startups and enterprises competing for the same talent pool, the workforce is incentivized to shift between companies based on bait-and-switch packages, compensation, and matching skillsets.

this is the best part. a whole paragraph to say "nobody gives a gently caress about quality in their temps"

quote:

Volume and Efficiency - hiring for a operations workforce is different from hiring for corporate or engineering positions (obviously). Unlike hiring for a frontend developer where multiple recruiters are looking for the best possible talent over the course of several months using intangible requirements, companies hiring for their operational workforce want to push out as many qualified candidates who meet certain credentials as quickly as possible, using a small, nimble team.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:smithicide:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A cool article about click farming

quote:

She starts by entering the client’s specifications into the website Fake Name Generator, which returns a sociologically realistic identity: Ashley Nivens, 21, from Nashville, Tennessee, now a student at New York University who works part time at American Apparel. (“Ashley Nivens” is a composite based on Casipong’s standard procedures, not the name of an actual person or account.) She then creates an email account. The email address forms the foundation of Ashley Nivens’s Facebook account, which is fleshed out with a profile picture from a photo library that Braggs’s workers have compiled by scraping dating sites. The whole time, a proxy server makes it seem as though she is accessing the Internet from Manhattan, and software disables the cookies that Facebook uses to track suspicious activity.

Next, she inserts a SIM card into a Nokia cell phone, a pre-touch-screen antique that’s been used so much the digits on its keypad have worn away. Once the phone is live, she types its number into Nivens’s Facebook profile and waits for a verification code to arrive via text message. She enters the code into Facebook and—voilà!—Ashley Nivens is, according to Facebook’s security algorithms, a real person. The whole process takes about three minutes.

Casipong sometimes wonders what happens to profiles like these once she turns them over to the clients. In fact, her whole job seems strange to her and the purpose of all these accounts somewhat mysterious. Still, she forgets this for long stretches of time: She’s young, she can do an almost perfect karaoke rendition of Mariah Carey’s “We Belong Together,” and she dreams of finishing college at the University of Cebu City after she’s saved enough money from working for Braggs. Once she earns a degree in Web design, she’ll join the Philippine diaspora and find a job in Australia, New Zealand, or the United States. And during weekends, maybe she can lead a life similar to Nivens’s.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Also yahoo posted pretty not good results

quote:

Yahoo reported its first quarter earnings report for 2015 after the bell on Tuesday.

The Sunnyvale, Calif.-based search company reported a net income of $21 million -- down from $312 million during the same quarter last year -- at 2 cents per share (statement).

Non-GAAP earnings were 15 cents per share on a revenue of $1.04 billion, excluding traffic acquisition costs (ex-TAC).

As a result of lackluster report, Yahoo shares fell by around 2 percent in after-hours trading.

Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer reiterated the company's ongoing transformation efforts in prepared remarks:

"Yahoo is amidst a multi-year transformation to return an iconic company to greatness. For the next phase of the transformation, we will focus on accelerating our GAAP revenue growth while managing our margins and costs."
Mayer also said mobile GAAP revenue reached $234 million in Q1, a rise of 61 percent year-over-year. However, revenue from display ads are down 7 percent for the quarter -- a tough pill to swallow considering this is an area Mayer singled out for projected growth.

Yahoo has been under pressure from investors to find an engine for growth within the aging search portal. The breadcrumb trail clearly suggests that Yahoo trying to rebuild itself into the search giant it once was, and in some areas that goal is taking shape. Yahoo's revenue from search was up 20 percent year-over-year.

The company recently revised a six-year old agreement with Microsoft, enabling Yahoo to monetize a much larger portion of its search traffic on platforms other than Bing. Months prior, Yahoo inked a deal with Mozilla to replace Google as Firefox's default browser.

What is still unclear is exactly how and in what form Yahoo will emerge down the road, after all the Alibaba pieces officially fall away.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

because it looks neat

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

qirex posted:

Months prior, Yahoo inked a deal with Mozilla to replace Google as Firefox's default browser.

Yahoo is my favorite Google

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

wait, what does happen to the accounts?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

lol if you think going fast is the cause of accidents and not distracted drivers

just lol

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

EVGA Longoria posted:

lol if you think going fast is the cause of accidents and not distracted drivers

just lol

slow down, leadfoot

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

fritz posted:

slow down, leadfoot

nah

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ga's super speeder law means the entire highway is doing 80

except that one idiot in the left lane doing 55 because THAT'S THE SPEED LIMIT YOU LUNATICS spending his time getting mad at everyone around him

and then there's the half dozen people on their cell phones the whole drive

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fat man with sleep apnea puts others at risk in order to feel alive

Apr 7, 2003

EVGA Longoria posted:

ga's super speeder law means the entire highway is doing 80

except that one idiot in the left lane doing 55 because THAT'S THE SPEED LIMIT YOU LUNATICS spending his time getting mad at everyone around him

and then there's the half dozen people on their cell phones the whole drive

You are not as good a driver as you think you are.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i am a really great driver and it's literally every single other driver on the road that is a hazard.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Citizen Tayne posted:

You are not as good a driver as you think you are.

no but i spend my time paying attention to the road instead of talking on the phone or texting or anything

i've also been rear ended 3 times by women who were on cell phones, but i've never hit anyone????

accidents happen, but i'd rather everyone drove fast than everyone is distracted as poo poo

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

EVGA Longoria posted:

no but i spend my time paying attention to the road instead of talking on the phone or texting or anything

i've also been rear ended 3 times by women who were on cell phones, but i've never hit anyone????

accidents happen, but i'd rather everyone drove fast than everyone is distracted as poo poo

lol

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
vroooooom

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

this guy gets it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
women drivers am i right?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Boxturret posted:

women drivers am i right?

well i think it's simply all anecdotal evidence???

but fuckin lol if you think speed is worse than distracted drivers

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

having a vagina makes you a worse driver it's scientifically proven

now excuse me while I light my chesterfield and listen to the latest Amos and Andy on the NBC Blue affiliate

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i love watching privileged assholes stir up a poo poo storm over lowering speed limits. it loving rules. they lowered speed limits in some residential areas here and the tears over it were monumental.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Luigi Thirty posted:

having a vagina makes you a worse driver it's scientifically proven

now excuse me while I light my chesterfield and listen to the latest Amos and Andy on the NBC Blue affiliate

not being me makes you a worse driver

being me makes you a worse person

it's a toss up

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

EVGA Longoria posted:

i've also been rear ended 3 times

souynds like you don't drive as fast as you've been implying maybe

Apr 7, 2003

EVGA Longoria posted:

not being me makes you a worse driver

being me makes you a worse person

it's a toss up

Lot of people in yospos lately making assholes out of themselves and then rolling with the punches. lol

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Citizen Tayne posted:

Lot of people in yospos lately making assholes out of themselves and then rolling with the punches. lol

:ironicat:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Maybe some good old regionalism will make people stop talking about loving speeding?

quote:

No newsflash here: San Francisco, after recently beating out Manhattan for both price and scarcity of offerings, has been crowned the worst city in the country for renters. But according to Forbes, the second worst city is not Manhattan. It’s Oakland. And the third worst: San Jose.

Studying the jump in rents from the last quarter of 2014 to now, as well as the vacancy rate, median household income, % of income paid for housing, as well as comparing the cost of renting to that of covering the average mortgage, Forbes listed the best and worst rental markets.

And apparently, the whole Bay Area kind of sucks: KQED writes “Over the past year, vacancy rates for all three cities are under 4% and rental costs have surged 12.8% in SF, 10.5% in Oakland, and 11.3% in San Jose. Will the bubble ever burst? Or are we all destined to be priced out, singing a bitter elegy for our former hometowns on our way out?”
my favorite part:
"Mortgage payment v. rent: $3,049 cheaper to rent"
http://blog.sfgate.com/ontheblock/2015/04/21/sf-oakland-and-san-jose-named-3-worst-cities-in-the-usa-for-renters/

I used to live in "tower 737" and I can tell you it's not really on nob hill and it's full of spoiled academy of art students

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Syncopated posted:

wait, what does happen to the accounts?

ever wonder to yourself 'how the gently caress did anyone 'like' tide let alone 4 million'

ever see the facebook pages of garage bands with big dreams? loaded to the gills with generic comments?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
actually they go into it in the article:

quote:

Casipong inserts earbuds, queues up dance music—Paramore and Avicii—and checks her client’s instructions. Their specifications are often quite pointed. A São Paulo gym might request 75 female Brazilian fitness fanatics, or a Castro-district bar might want 1,000 gay men living in San Francisco. Her current order is the most common: Facebook profiles of beautiful American women between the ages of 20 and 30. Once they’ve received the accounts, the client will probably use them to sell Facebook likes to customers looking for an illicit social media boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the thing is I think FB & twitter in particular need spam accounts otherwise their numbers will look super bad, like a laundry detergent would rather have 5 million followers, 4.5 of whom are fake than 1 million legit ones

e: also FB would rather charge $100 for promotion to those 5 million than $25 to 1 mil

• Locked thread