Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kajeesus posted:

And as long as those "security measures" are in place, Israel is responsible for the well-being of the people of Gaza. You can't shift the goalposts forever.

Lets examine this a little deeper. If Israel is responsible for governing Gaza, what responsibilities do Gazans have towards Israel?

If Israeli EPA were to deem the Gaza Strip environmentally unsuited for human occupation, would Gazans be responsible to adhere to an Israeli order to vacate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Actually MIGF, I think it is the responsibility of the state occupying/quarantining the Gazans to ensure that the conditions exist in order to implement these changes.

Here is a novel idea: perhaps instead of the state of Israel losing its mind and going berserk every time Hamas does something crazy, why can't it simply put on some big boy pants and approach the problem in a way that won't simply spawn more terrorists and in response another orgy of indiscriminate violence every two years?

Could it be that the country is led by people who are either too stupid and/or afraid of its own constituency to deal more precisely and surgically with the terrorist problem, or that it is politically convenient for the right wing in Israel to have a captive population of helots nearby that they can ritualistically whip into submission every few years?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

My Imaginary GF posted:

Lets examine this a little deeper. If Israel is responsible for governing Gaza, what responsibilities do Gazans have towards Israel?

If Israeli EPA were to deem the Gaza Strip environmentally unsuited for human occupation, would Gazans be responsible to adhere to an Israeli order to vacate?

No one said Israel should be governing Gaza.

Israel has a duty to provide basic necessities for the people of Gaza so long as Israel is taking active measures to prevent Gazans from providing for themselves. Is this a statement you disagree with?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Those security policies exist as a means of protecting Israel from Palestinian and other arab terrorism and aggression. Those security measures will not go away until the perception within Israel is that of Palestinians and arabs unwilling to engage in terrorism. Any other argument is inconsequential; just, unjust, doesn't matter, as Israeli policy is that those security measures are essential in order to prevent continued arab and Palestinian suicide attacks against Israel. Any further attacks only serve to reinforce that Palestinians are disinterested in peace and loosening security controls will result in more dead Israelis and lost knesset seats.

The only way to get those policies loosened, as you wish, is for Palestinians to actively renounce and organize against terrorism. The international community does not care about them, and will not sacrifice anything substantial for them. Palestinians are on their own, and the sooner they accept that they are being held accountable for actions taken in their name, the sooner they can organize against those actions.

Yeah, look at how well that works for the PA pretend I posted a link to the latest mass abduction and imprisonment of Palestinians by jackbooted IDF thugs

My Imaginary GF posted:

Here's a better question: If the Israeli authorities deliberately ruined Gazan infrastructure to the point where it was unsuitable for human habitation, refused to clean it up, and refused to allow Gazans to clean it up, would a mass eviction on environmental grounds be any less of an ethnic cleansing?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, its because those sites were used to launch terrorist attacks against Israel. Any site used to launch an attack is open to retaliation. Don't like it? Gaza should police itself.

I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but I remember that, during last years conflict, one of the very first Israeli bombings was specifically to assassinate a police chief who put a lot of effort into curtailing Palestinian rocket launches.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's amazing the lengths to which Israel's defenders will go to forget everything Israel does, as if Palestinians simply magically appeared one day inside Israel's borders, their hands full of rockets and rocks.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

They could finance their operations like every other governing institution: do the responsible thing and implement taxes combined with non-essential service cuts. Unfortunately, Hamas is not a rational actor, they are a demographic supremacist organization willing to implement only populist policy agendas.

When an occupying state has placed your populace into a siege that not only prevents economic development, but ensures the decay of infrastructure, the occupied government has no means to collect taxes to provide civil services. Do you look at Gazans and see people living high on the hog?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
What is the point of responding to MIGF, he is a coked up mentally ill dipshit

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
The only purpose MIGF's posts serve here is re-iteration of Israeli-American consensus politics about I/P, but we all know that so it's pointless.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

My Imaginary GF posted:

They could finance their operations like every other governing institution: do the responsible thing and implement taxes combined with non-essential service cuts. Unfortunately, Hamas is not a rational actor, they are a demographic supremacist organization willing to implement only populist policy agendas.

You mean tax money that is illegally seized by the Israeli government?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Flip Yr Wig posted:

When an occupying state has placed your populace into a siege that not only prevents economic development, but ensures the decay of infrastructure, the occupied government has no means to collect taxes to provide civil services. Do you look at Gazans and see people living high on the hog?

I see folks in this thread demanding Gazans receive a handout from Israel, without accepting any responsibility for a minimum standard of self-governance.

Maybe if Palestinians didn't launch guerrila raids against Israel and conduct campaigns of suicide attacks, there wouldn't be as secure a border between Israel and Palestine.

Job Truniht posted:

Funny, I was unaware of Israeli revenue agents operating in Gaza strip. Maybe Hamas could implement an income tax in Gaza to pay for its services, if it really wanted to be treated as a legitimate governing organization.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Jagchosis posted:

It's purely for the benefit of any third parties reading this thread, I think. Some of his posts aren't openly genocidal, but when cornered he eventually winds up saying stuff like this:

My Imaginary GF posted:

I see folks in this thread demanding Gazans receive a handout from Israel, without accepting any responsibility for a minimum standard of self-governance.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

Funny, I was unaware of Israeli revenue agents operating in Gaza strip. Maybe Hamas could implement an income tax in Gaza to pay for its services, if it really wanted to be treated as a legitimate governing organization.

Yeah you're full of poo poo

UNCTAD posted:

Uncertainties regarding clearance revenue flows. In May and November 2011, Israel suspended Palestinian clearance revenues, as it had done in 2002 and 2006. Despite the eventual release of the revenues, this practice undermines the economic and financial stability of the Palestinian National Authority, especially since public expenditure is a key source of economic growth and clearance revenues constitute 70 per cent of total revenue (World Bank, 2012). Suspension of clearance revenue limits the Palestinian National Authority’s ability to meet its contractual obligations to the private sector and the salaries of public sector employees on time. It also limits the prospects of private investment by fostering a climate of uncertainty and increased risks to private sector contractors and creditors. Furthermore, the Palestinian National Authority’s ability to plan its finances is undermined by Israel’s unilateral deductions from clearance revenues to cover unpaid energy purchases of the Palestinian National Authority from Israel.

The taxation system and trade regime enshrined in the Paris Protocol impose losses through the leakage of resources to Israel and lack of sovereignty in collecting taxes and generating accurate taxation data to enhance revenue collection. This in turn leads to a smaller tax base and lower collection rates combined with frequent additional pressures on the expenditure of the Palestinian National Authority to mitigate the impact on the recurrent humanitarian and economic crises. The Palestinian Ministry of National Economy (2011) estimates that the economic cost resulting from occupation, in terms of foregone GDP, was as high as $6.9 billion in 2010, or about 82 per cent of GDP. Had it not suffered this loss, the Palestinian National Authority’s fiscal situation would have been sound, and abundant resources for development would have been available.

Israel has been, quite deliberately, perpetuating a financial crisis in both the West Bank and Gaza for decades.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Job Truniht posted:

Job Truniht posted:

Yeah you're full of poo poo

Israel has been, quite deliberately, perpetuating a financial crisis in both the West Bank and Gaza for decades.

Sorry, but you're wrong here. These only affect the PA in the West Bank, as they have a treaty with Israel which explicitly gives Israel the role of collecting this one particular tax on the PA's behalf.

Since Israel has no involvement in Hamas' taxation system, it has no ability to seize Hamas tax revenues. However, Hamas already levies plenty of taxes on Gaza. In fact, I'm pretty sure MiGF knows that already, given that he's tried to steer the conversation to taxes several times since Hamas' recent raising of import taxes. But given Gaza's high unemployment and poverty rates and the large proportion of working Gazans whose jobs have been provided by Hamas, there's little revenue potential in an income tax, and it's likely not worth the bureaucratic expense necessary to track everyone's incomes. As long as Gaza's economy is crippled by blockade, taxation of any sort will be of limited effectiveness there.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

Gaza has no tax base and no functioning government, because Israel has done a very effective job of destroying both through economic blockade of the former and direct bombing attacks on the latter. Which of course you are perfectly well aware of.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Sorry, but you're wrong here. These only affect the PA in the West Bank, as they have a treaty with Israel which explicitly gives Israel the role of collecting this one particular tax on the PA's behalf.

Since Israel has no involvement in Hamas' taxation system, it has no ability to seize Hamas tax revenues. However, Hamas already levies plenty of taxes on Gaza. In fact, I'm pretty sure MiGF knows that already, given that he's tried to steer the conversation to taxes several times since Hamas' recent raising of import taxes. But given Gaza's high unemployment and poverty rates and the large proportion of working Gazans whose jobs have been provided by Hamas, there's little revenue potential in an income tax, and it's likely not worth the bureaucratic expense necessary to track everyone's incomes. As long as Gaza's economy is crippled by blockade, taxation of any sort will be of limited effectiveness there.

The PA has public employees in Gaza and Israel historically raised VAT within Gaza and then asked the Palestinian National Authority to legitimize them. Also Gaza pays for Israel's energy every time they bomb their power plants.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lum_ posted:

Gaza has no tax base and no functioning government, because Israel has done a very effective job of destroying both through economic blockade of the former and direct bombing attacks on the latter. Which of course you are perfectly well aware of.

Gaza's lack of development is not the responsibility of a foreign nation, its the responsibility of a community which had chosen to embrace suicide bombings as a legitimate tactic for political aims.

Like I've been saying, nobody is coming to assist Palestinians. If Gazans care about themselves, they'll follow in the footsteps of individuals from India's poorer provinces and work as expats while sending back remittances to their families.

Job Truniht posted:

The PA has public employees in Gaza and Israel historically raised VAT within Gaza and then asked the Palestinian National Authority to legitimize them. Also Gaza pays for Israel's energy every time they bomb their power plants.

You think electricity is free?

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Jagchosis posted:

It's sort of entertaining reading people's rebuttals because they're mainly from people who happen to be more knowledgeable about things than me but yeah, it's like talking to a wall.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

You think electricity is free?

Is Gaza a separate country or not? Israelis have an interesting definition of a foreign country in a sense that:

1. They cannot have their own army
2. They cannot collect taxes
3. They do not have control over their own coastal waters
4. They cannot generate their own electricity
5. They cannot accept aid to foreign countries
6. They cannot go to the UN or ICC for any of the reasons above

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ultramega posted:

It's sort of entertaining reading people's rebuttals because they're mainly from people who happen to be more knowledgeable about things than me but yeah, it's like talking to a wall.

Yeah reading the responses tends to be pretty informative, especially since MIGF's posts are the actual American Zionist-supporter talking points but stripped of all obfuscation and laid bare in full gruesome honesty.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
William Saletan dug into a Bloomberg poll on American attitudes towards Israel and explains why it actually is as bad as it looks. The tl;dr:

quote:

So here’s a summary of what the poll conveys. When Republicans are asked to pick from a range of guiding principles, almost as many choose Israeli interests as U.S. interests. Most Republicans, in the absence of a two-state solution, prefer Israeli control of Palestinians, through occupation or annexation, to a single integrated country with equal rights. Thirty-seven percent of Republicans consider Israel one of their top five issues, and most of these people would abandon democracy in order to make sure Israel remains a Jewish-controlled religious state. By a wide margin, this segment of the GOP cares more about Israeli interests than about American interests, human rights, or any other principle.

That’s not McCarthyism or anti-Semitism. It’s reality. And it raises hard questions about what the Republican Party stands for.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah reading the responses tends to be pretty informative, especially since MIGF's posts are the actual American Zionist-supporter talking points but stripped of all obfuscation and laid bare in full gruesome honesty.

Which is one of the main things leading me to think that he's some kind of deep troll. Also, occasionally the mask slips and he* posts something I doubt any serious person would actually think.

*Assuming this hypothesis, MIGF might not be a he, but rather a young lesbian woman living in war-torn Syria.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

If there are two words israel supporters love throwing around it's anti-semite and holocaust.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Trolls like MIGF are tenacious and determined, and very good at what they do: exploiting the fact that people have a short memory.

So I've gone through my 178 bookmarks from during Protective Edge last summer and will post the most interesting ones I found below. Please keep in mind that while I've tried to stick to objective reporting, a number of the articles may come from sources that readers may find biased (though considering the subject matter, all sources will be biased in some way), as well as some blog resources which people may dismiss for not being academic. It is then worth mentioning that the first blog source is simply an archive of references to other sources that may or may not be more to the reader's liking.

There was also a great infographic created by a goon in this topic that I plum forgot to include here but don't have the time to find. It has to do with debunking myths about I/P and is really goddamn huge. Could anyone repost it?

Introductory material

Rockets and Reasons for Protective Edge aka "What is 'Proportionality'? Can I bomb it?"

Victims aka "Think of the Children!"

General Debunking and other nonsense aka "Damned cultural marxist antisemitic liberal media! The world hates us!"

Israel is America's closest ally! Aka: "Israeli spies are coming out of the vent in the shitter!" and other stories

Conspiratorial nonsense
*Insert Dees picture here*

I eagerly await the usual suspects picking out 1 of the above and commit to quibbling over how untrue it is for the next 20 pages ignoring everything else.

murphyslaw fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 23, 2015

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

murphyslaw posted:

I eagerly await the usual suspects picking out 1 of the above and commit to quibbling over how untrue it is for the next 20 pages ignoring everything else.

It's funny, I could post eerily similar link floods created by right-wingers where they produce "evidence" in the form of dozens of tendentious, inaccurate, and out-of-context articles, charts, and cartoons. The only difference would be that they would have been compiled by some bigot ranting about the supposed scourge of black on white crime, or the encroaching Muslim menace instead of the bloodthirsty and devious Zionists.

There's some established phrase for the same tactic as used by creationists, but I can't quite recall it at the moment. That said, I would differentiate the creationist use with the use of the same tactic by white supremacists/islamophobes/other bigots because in the latter case it's not about tricking undecided observers but about amping up the rage and hatred of one's fellow true believers.

Kajeesus posted:

Facts are anti-Semitic.

When I say it's creepy how much this thread can wind up sounding like :freep: obsessively recounting every half-real incident of "black on white' violence they've collected, or how their frenzied denials of racial prejudice usually hinge on the claim they're just dispassionately laying out objective facts(and it's only those loony lie-berals who think the facts are racist), it's stuff like this I'm talking about. fyi.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 23, 2015

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Insect Court posted:

It's funny, I could post eerily similar link floods created by right-wingers where they produce "evidence" in the form of dozens of tendentious, inaccurate, and out-of-context articles, charts, and cartoons. The only difference would be that they would have been compiled by some bigot ranting about the supposed scourge of black on white crime, or the encroaching Muslim menace instead of the bloodthirsty and devious Zionists.

There's some established phrase for the same tactic as used by creationists, but I can't quite recall it at the moment. That said, I would differentiate the creationist use with the use of the same tactic by white supremacists/islamophobes/other bigots because in the latter case it's not about tricking undecided observers but about amping up the rage and hatred of one's fellow true believers.

Point out what there is inaccurate?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Facts are anti-Semitic.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

The Insect Court posted:

There's some established phrase for the same tactic as used by creationists,
Gish Gallop.

quote:

The Gish Gallop is the debating technique of drowning the opponent in such a torrent of small arguments that their opponent cannot possibly answer or address each one in real time. More often than not, these myriad arguments are full of half-truths, lies, and straw-man arguments — the only condition is that there be many of them, not that they be particularly compelling on their own. They may be escape hatches or "gotcha" arguments that are specifically designed to be brief, but take a long time to unravel. Thus, galloping is frequently used in timed debates (especially by creationists) to overwhelm one's opponent.

Examples are commonly found in "list" articles that may claim to show "100 reasons for" something, or "50 reasons against" something. At this sort of level, with dozens upon dozens of minor arguments, each individual point on the list may only be a single sentence or two, and many may be a repeat or vague re-wording of a previous one. This is the intention: although it is trivial amount of effort on the part of the galloper to make a point, particularly if they just need to re-iterate an existing one a different way, a refutation may take much longer and someone addressing will be unable to refute all points in a similarly short order. If even one argument in a Gish Gallop is left standing at the end, or addressed insufficiently, the galloper will attempt to claim victory.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

I'm flattered that you decided to wrest yourself from your vigorous watermelon loving to give me your attention.

That said, perhaps you could engage with the material above and explain what you thought was inaccurate instead of calling me an antisemite in a roundabout way. That would be smashing, old chap.

E: assign as much malicious intent to my post as you please, and feel free to equate me to a vicious stormfront bigot posting infowars links as much as you like.

While flattering, however, it does not change the fact that the majority of it comes from reputable (if not left-leaning) sources.

Also, it is not intended to drown out the opposition as is the goal with a gish gallop, but to remind outside observers of alternative perspectives to the pro-occupation revisionism and obfuscation that so often bogs down this thread.

murphyslaw fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 23, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Huh.

What's the name for the opposite method, where you misread a single line or pick out one hyperbolic statement and extrapolate the opposing argument entirely from there? Is it the same as the one where you make broad sweeping statements and melt away as soon as someone engages with you directly, only to return a while later to repeat the original statement?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

My Imaginary GF posted:

Clearly its Israel's fault for launching rockets at themselves, not the folks who produce songs with lyrics such as, 'To kill a jew is righteous jihad.'

Clearly, Gaza is Israel's burden to provide for. Not a white man's burden for Israel at all, if only those jews would go away, maybe into the sea, then Palestine would spring forth tomorrow as a developed, Democratic and secular nation, with institutional safeguards and no ethnoreligious tensions.

Don't you see how absurd that view is? Don't you see how labeling appropriate state response to nonstate terrorism as "lust for death" enables and emboldens terrorism?

Wow, that's impressive. Israel destroys infrastructure and blocks their reconstruction, because if they allowed Gazans to rebuild it would be "white man's burden, lol :smug:".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Frankly, arguing with The Insect Court/MIGF is kind of like being in Franz Kafka story.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
It certainly has an element of feverish, maddening repetition. The Groundhog day of posting.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Job Truniht posted:

The PA has public employees in Gaza, but they don't do anything. All the actual public employees in Gaza work for Hamas; the PA "public employees" in Gaza mainly just sit around and collect paychecks for the jobs they had eight or nine years ago. It's a bit of a sticking point in the unity governments and a major source of strife in Gaza right now, since the PA insists on not paying and then firing all the civil servants hired under the Hamas administration, and then rehiring all the pre-2006 Fatah-loyalist civil servants who refused to work for Hamas and continued to be paid by the PA even after losing their jobs. As far as I'm aware, this so-called "salary dispute" (as the media seems to have settled on calling it) is the only policy the PA has pursued so far in Gaza, but since the PA appears to have no intention of paying the Hamas-hired employees who've been working without pay for nearly a year while Hama insists that paying Gaza's civil servants should be the first priority, there appears to be no resolution in sight.
It's not an insignificant issue, either, since the jobs of over a hundred thousand people - 70,000 former employees and 50,000 current employees - hang in the balance. Labor actions such as strikes and union demonstrations are common in Gaza, though the usual response by PA representatives is to blame it on Hamas agitators and run like hell.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/foreign/22-Apr-2015/disputes-between-hamas-unity-govt-deepen-internal-palestinian-split

quote:

GAZA: Eight Palestinian cabinet ministers suddenly left the Gaza Strip for the West Bank on Monday evening following deep disputes with Islamic Hamas movement.
Political analysts said the failure to reach any agreement between the two sides not only frustrated Gaza populations who were hoping to hear good news, but also deepen an endless internal division between Hamas and President Mahmoud Abbas’ Fatah Party.

The unity government’s delegation arrived in Gaza on Sunday. The delegation, which included 22 high-ranking government’s employees, carried a government initiative aiming at ending the salary crisis of Gaza employees first.

Analysts said the reason for the deadlock was the clear contradiction in the visions of both Hamas and the unity government in the mechanism of implementing the initiative and the solutions to the existing functional infrastructure.

Naji Shurab, political science professor at al-Azhar University in Gaza, told Xinhua that during the meetings between the government’s officials and Hamas representatives, “it was clear that Hamas leaders wanted first to find a solution to the postponement of paying salaries to its employees in Gaza.”

When Hamas seized control of the Gaza Strip by force in 2007, around 70,000 employees were getting their monthly salaries paid by the Palestinian National Authority (PNA). In response, President Abbas instructed those employees to stay home and get their monthly salaries paid.

A vacuum was left and the daily life affairs of the populations in the Gaza Strip were influenced, mainly in areas of health, education and security. To resolve the problem, Hamas nominated 43, 000 employees to fill the vacuum at that time and paid their salaries for eight years.
But when the unity government was formed in June last year, as part of a reconciliation agreement reached with Fatah Party, Hamas demanded the unity government to pay the salaries of its 43,000 Gaza staff. The unity government presented an initiative to overcome the crisis. The initiative brought by the government’s delegation was based on fixing, rebuilding and unifying the employees’ payment system for both Gaza and the West Bank and to include all employees under one authority. The initiative included replacement of employees and urging others for early retirement.

“Hamas has been trying to pressure on the government’s delegation to approve the monthly salaries payment to its 43,000 employees in the Gaza Strip before rebuilding or rearranging the new Palestinian employees’ payment system,” said Shurab.

During their stay in a northern Gaza hotel, the ministers and other delegation members were unable to leave the hotel and go to the ministries offices in Gaza because the pro-Hamas employees’ union threatened to demonstrate before the main government’s headquarters.
Security officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Xinhua that the instructions for the government’s delegation to leave Gaza soon and head back to Ramallah in the West Bank, were made after security apparatuses received data on hot threats to the lives of the ministers.

Sami Abu Zuhri, Hamas spokesman in Gaza said in an emailed press statement after the government’s delegation left Gaza that “the Palestinian (National) Authority is fully responsible for the failure of the unity government to act during the past ten months. “ Abu Zuhri said the unity government has to be committed to the reconciliation agreements reached with Hamas on the two main issues: equalizing salaries between Hamas and PNA employees and sharing the administration of the crossing points on the Gaza Strip borders. “The government has to stop the policy of eclecticism in implementing the reached agreements, mainly the deals related to the internal reconciliation,” said Abu Zuhri, adding “the government should stop its policy of discrimination among the employees.” In the mean time, the Palestinian ministry of information in Ramallah accused Hamas movement of obstructing the performance of the unity government “on purpose,” adding in a press statement that “what happened in Gaza was a dangerous indication that shows that Hamas wants to carry on with division.” “Hamas had closed all doors and windows in the face of the government and prevented it from acting properly in the Gaza Strip, “ said the statement of the ministry of information, adding “we call on Hamas to stop its policy of blackmailing the government.”
Local observers believed that what happened in Gaza in the past two days has certainly deepened the Palestinian internal split between Gaza and the West Bank which started in 2007.

Tala Oukal, the Gaza-based political analyst, told Xinhua that one year after reaching an agreement to form the unity government, nothing was accomplished or achieved, and the rival parties were unable to narrow the gaps and achieve full reconciliation on the ground. 

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

murphyslaw posted:

a bunch of links

The Insect Court posted:

waah waaah facts are literally useless and your antisemite :smug:
*drills hole in a honeydew a la suttree*

Nah, arguing with this guy is McCarthyesque.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Dreaded antisemitic bastion of hate Al-Jazeera has put together a nifty interactive clusterfuck of sorts that you can play with: http://interactive.aljazeera.com/aje/PalestineRemix/index.html

It goes without saying that this is heavily biased towards Palestinians so if you like to shag the odd cantaloupe you might want to skip it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Without the Holocaust we wouldn't have Fanta.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

corn in the bible posted:

Without the Holocaust we wouldn't have Fanta.

Another reason to hate the Nazis

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

murphyslaw posted:

It goes without saying that this is heavily biased towards Palestinians so if you like to shag the odd cantaloupe you might want to skip it.

It's way beyond "heavily biased" and into "outright lies" territory. For example it describes the Trans-Israel Highway as "one of Israel's largest infrastructure projects, it helps Israeli settlers commute between illegal settlements in the occupied West Bank and Israel." Note: the highway in question is 100% within the 1948 Green Line border. Considering all the work Israel does on bypass roads and the like in the West Bank for the benefit of settlers which could more justifiably be highlighted, it's even more curious that they use this for an example, but less so when you notice every description of a town within the 1948 borders as within "historic Palestine".

It is a good example of the far-left/BDS view that the very existence of Israel at all is illegitimate, so there's that.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Lum_ posted:

It's way beyond "heavily biased" and into "outright lies" territory. For example it describes the Trans-Israel Highway as "one of Israel's largest infrastructure projects, it helps Israeli settlers commute between illegal settlements in the occupied West Bank and Israel." Note: the highway in question is 100% within the 1948 Green Line border. Considering all the work Israel does on bypass roads and the like in the West Bank for the benefit of settlers which could more justifiably be highlighted, it's even more curious that they use this for an example, but less so when you notice every description of a town within the 1948 borders as within "historic Palestine".

It is a good example of the far-left/BDS view that the very existence of Israel at all is illegitimate, so there's that.

Oh, well. Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't spotted it myself, was distracted by the swank. Vet your sources before you post'em, kids!

• Locked thread