Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Spiderdrake posted:

Can someone explain what Gategate is, because google says its something about a scandal in the UK or people complaining about the english language and I'm lazy
There's a huge rundown of it here.

e: beaten twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Quest For Glory II posted:

Work has value and if someone wants compensation for the work they do it's fine, this is way better than the long slimey con of free spec work Valve has gotten away with for TF2 for years

Work does have value, but the mod scene is supposed to be, like, a hobby. Old-school TOS regarding modding was that you do it for free and be grateful that Bethesda doesn't send lawyers to your house to kill you. This is the content-creator/platform finding a way to monetize mods instead of the modder just having a paypal button.

Also, by making potentially every mod a piece of micro-paid DLC, games like Elder Scrolls, Space Engineers, Cities Skylines, etc have a potential to effectively skyrocket in "final price". Let me tell you about Skyrim- it's fine, Vanilla. It's pretty okay. If every mod I have installed costs $3.00, though, that suddenly turns Skyrim like a $250 game, which is a concept that maybe can go gently caress itself.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From the other thread:

Zeron posted:

That's actually not Valve. The modders % cut is decided by the Publisher, which means that every workshop can have a different cut! Also the Publisher can decide to change the prices of any mod at any time, and can also force mods to be free if they want(presumably to keep Arthmoor from making the Unofficial Patches only available with money). The Publisher is also who creates mod bundles, they can bundle whichever mods they want, charge whatever they want for them, and are the ones who get to decide how the modders cut is distributed.

On the plus side, they removed the filesize restrictions for the Skyrim Workshop stealthily apparently.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

yeah, when I think of things that kill scenes, it's the ability for people who couldn't make money to now make money

That's why the modding scene of minecraft with all the ad.fly links is great and not toxic at all.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Internet Tough Guy DLC - $0.99
\

HonorableTB posted:

Lmao I don't use mods all that much but this is loving terrible. Cities: Skylines is one of the games that I have mods for but I'll be hosed if I'm giving any of these people another penny. I paid for the game already and this isn't DLC from the developers - it's a map you shat out by using a free website to get topography and imported using the game's own tools. It took you literally 5 minutes to do and you want to charge people for it?

I live in Seattle and I have half a mind to bus over to Bellevue and take a poo poo right on Valve's doorstep and put a little sign that says "Mod - $0.99"

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
So this is how they're going to make back all the money wasted on TESO, huh?

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
How is this even going to work for Skyrim? IIRC you need 1-3 third party programs to manage/compile/patch mods so that the load order is exactly right and script files don't override each other.

Who will be blamed when mods don't work together or at all.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Sleeveless posted:

Internet Tough Guy DLC - $0.99
\

how much are you charging for the loving retarded posts mod

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

amotea posted:

How is this even going to work for Skyrim? IIRC you need 1-3 third party programs to manage/compile/patch mods so that the load order is exactly right and script files don't override each other.

Who will be blamed when mods don't work together or at all.

The invisible hand of the free market is infallible. It's clearly a problem on the user's end.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I mean this gives them the ability to be compensated even if it is a horrifyingly bad cut, so I dunno what this argument is about

First of all, Valve and the publisher don't deserve the cut they are taking from the mod's costs, especially not 75 goddamn percent. It's a legal nightmare because of copyrighted materials, it's unbelievably easy to circumvent, and anyone has the ability to file a takedown notice on anybody else. If this feature stays it will change modding to be less about making mods for video games and more about making money for making mods for video games, which is absolutely toxic. There are way more reasons why this system should not be in place as it is now than there are reasons to keep it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

Work does have value, but the mod scene is supposed to be, like, a hobby.
I mean that's the kind of logic that companies use to take advantage of artists all the time so I can't really flow with that

quote:

Also, by making potentially every mod a piece of micro-paid DLC, games like Elder Scrolls, Space Engineers, Cities Skylines, etc have a potential to effectively skyrocket in "final price". Let me tell you about Skyrim- it's fine, Vanilla. It's pretty okay. If every mod I have installed costs $3.00, though, that suddenly turns Skyrim like a $250 game, which is a concept that maybe can go gently caress itself.
If a game is so broken that you have to spend $250 to fix it then I probably wouldn't buy it and i wouldn't encourage others to buy it. but then i dont know why people pay more than $5 for bethesda games knowing how much community work is required to make them playable

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
The mod authors can apparently set a percentage of Valve's cut to go towards a couple of places, like the guys behind SkyUI(because of the MCM), Blender, the Nexus etc. So that's..nice I suppose. Maybe they'll add the modding managers to that list later on.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The Kins posted:

If someone makes a mod that fixes something and charges for it, what's to stop someone from making their own free fix? Trying to charge for a fan-patch is a losing battle, even if it's legal.

Now the game publisher are making money off the work of modders, so they are actively encouraging free mods being put down because they stand to make a profit on every for-pay mod sold.

If publishers are allowed to curate their own Workshop then guess what? Free versions of mods are going to get buried one way or another because there's $$$ to be made.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

The invisible hand of the free market is infallible. It's clearly a problem on the user's end.
I knew Adam Smith was a goon.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Some people defending this move is both pretty sad and hilarious, not literally everything people create has to have a price tag attached to it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
People deserve to be paid for work, especially if that work is literally "improve a game". If you do not want to pay just don't. I personally know people that will love this - modders in countries with lovely economies will love this.

I wonder if they delayed Attila's workshop for this.

Azran fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 23, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

maybe this will actually get people to stop buying lovely broken elderscrolls games at launch

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kanfy posted:

Some people defending this move is both pretty sad and hilarious, not literally everything people create has to have a price tag attached to it.
I think some people are being reactionary as gently caress and I also dont give a poo poo about skyrim

If people are going to poo poo on anything I wish it would be TF2's spec work contest model, but no one wants to talk about that it seems

Maybe TF2 will be next to switch over though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

This poo poo is going to ruin so many promising mod scenes.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zeron posted:

The mod authors can apparently set a percentage of Valve's cut to go towards a couple of places, like the guys behind SkyUI(because of the MCM), Blender, the Nexus etc. So that's..nice I suppose. Maybe they'll add the modding managers to that list later on.
Authors of paid workshop stuff can recommend community resources - tool developers, forums, etc. - to be added to the list. If a portion of Valve's cut from a TF2 item can go to Reddit, then I'm sure mod manager tools will get a few bucks in time.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

I mean that's the kind of logic that companies use to take advantage of artists all the time so I can't really flow with that

If a game is so broken that you have to spend $250 to fix it then I probably wouldn't buy it and i wouldn't encourage others to buy it. but then i dont know why people pay more than $5 for bethesda games knowing how much community work is required to make them playable

Right. You spend $5 on the game, and then you use the free mods to make it playable. If I spend $5 on the game, and then I spend another $200 on mods to actually get the game I want, Bethesda has still gotten something like $130 or whatever in their cut. It's a way for Bethesda to outsource content-creation to an unlicensed contractor who receives zero benefits, as opposed to before when it was a way for a passionate fan to release a thing they thought was cool.

Even if that thing is actually super un-cool, Nexus, gawd :gonk:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Apparently there is literally an early access mod for Skyrim already.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

Right. You spend $5 on the game, and then you use the free mods to make it playable. If I spend $5 on the game, and then I spend another $200 on mods to actually get the game I want, Bethesda has still gotten something like $130 or whatever in their cut.
I wont dismiss people who want to do things that way, but like I said before, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on any game. I only want to spend $5 on Bethesda games period. And play them plain. And then make fun of them. If a game is not fun without having to spend that kind of money, then I wouldn't buy it at all. At least New Vegas had the vaults. That was worth $5.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
hey i made a mod to fix some game breaking bugs the creators of the game never fixed, that'll be ten dollars and also they get some of that money for not fixing their mistakes

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Nothing will kill off the modder scene as there will always be some awkward furry/otherkin/rear end-fetishist with too much time on their hands and a computer.

It might mean going to loverslab to get your Elder Scrolls 6 mods in the future though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Azran posted:

People deserve to be paid for work, especially if that work is literally "improve a game". If you do not want to pay just don't. I personally know people that will love this - modders in countries with lovely economies will this.

I wonder if they delayed Attila's workshop for this.

In the case of modding it should be up to the end user whether the work is worth paying for or not imo because of the huge variety of what mods are and do (which directly affects the effort it takes to make one), which is why donation sites exist in the first place. Even with their refund system in place, I still have to put down the money for the mod before I can download and use it on the good faith that the mod won't be poo poo. If it is poo poo then I get my money back, sure, but then it's the exact same thing as downloading the poo poo mod for free except with an extra unnecessary step.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

On the positive side, modder drama is going to increase tenfold. That's always entertaining.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
From a mod-maker:

quote:

I mean, the only argument I'm seeing against this is from users complaining that they might have to pay for content. Isn't that how it is supposed to work in the first place?

There will always be free mods. This is terrific for those of us who work unpaid for months on labors of love. Suddenly, my work can turn into profit to keep me afloat. Absolutely terrific.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It's for fun, but I deserve $

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the cool part is going to be lovely modders who get lots of downloads just because their poo poo is free wondering where everyone has gone when they want a buck all of a sudden.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I'm sort of used to people trying to charge for mods, given that "donation"-sites have been pretty common for communities centered around modding the Sims franchise and I used to be active in those circles. But even the notable and "prestigious" modders in that scene usually only charged small nominal fees and don't really bill people for individual items, but rather offered additional donation items for subscribers and everything else for free as usual. Nothing else has really worked out for them and they usually just burn out on the idea of trying to keep hundreds of blogs from reuploading their content for free. Although it's always been amusing watching some poor modder melt down and nuke their entire internet presence after finding out some foreign communities haven't even bothered giving credit to their "hard work".

This just means that less people will use Steam Workshop and instead go back to individual modding communities that don't do that poo poo.

And holy poo poo, these people are delusional if they think their lovely Elder Scrolls scripts are worth three bucks or more.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

theultimo posted:

From a mod-maker:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It's for fun, but I deserve $
I mean that's not what they said at all, but, again, reactionary

They said hey, now there's a chance I can maybe pay my bills, and I can continue to do this

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I think some people are being reactionary as gently caress and I also dont give a poo poo about skyrim

More like you're just being contradictory because this is a pretty hosed up thing to do no matter how you try to spin it.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

it is going to be great when the SKSE and other major frameworks start requiring their own cut and essentially piss on all these worthless shits

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I mean that's not what they said at all, but, again, reactionary

They said hey, now there's a chance I can maybe pay my bills, and I can continue to do this

Oh you're a modder, now your unflinching position makes sense

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kanfy posted:

More like you're just being contradictory because this is a pretty hosed up thing to do no matter how you try to spin it.
I mean it's not hosed up, I don't really get it. are you guys gonna boycott Garry's Mod and Red Orchestra?

CJacobs posted:

Oh you're a modder, now your unflinching position makes sense
huh? I'm not a modder. I once bought a how to program in C book when i was 12 and reading it made me want to sleep for a long time

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=407YhBdjLJQ

I too am a modder. Would you pay 5 dollars for this Max Payne 3 mod I made last year.

huh? I'm not a modder. I once bought a how to program in C book when i was 12 and reading it made me want to sleep for a long time

Oh. I thought with the second part of your post you were implying that you make mods. Darn. May bad.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Ryaomon posted:

hey i made a mod to fix some game breaking bugs the creators of the game never fixed, that'll be ten dollars and also they get some of that money for not fixing their mistakes

Another reason for Bethesda not to QA their games or use a decent engine. Wonderful.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Hi I'm Quest For Glory II and I have lovely opinions.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I mean it's not hosed up, I don't really get it. are you guys gonna boycott Garry's Mod and Red Orchestra?

huh? I'm not a modder, I bought a how to program in C book when i was 12 and reading it made me want to sleep for a long time

Could the fact that you've already stated you don't care about the game have something to do with the fact you don't see a problem with it being microtransacted into oblivion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

What exactly is the problem with paid mods aside from "I don't want to pay for things I want to use"? I mean, just don't buy the mods.

The issue is now people are going to put a price tag on something they would have otherwise traditionally put up for free. Most people are going to have a hard time resisting that option to add a cost to their mod, even if it means less people download it, because now they're at least making money.

People absolutely deserve to be paid for their work but the way this system is implemented is super scummy and is going to have BAD repercussions down the line.

• Locked thread