Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that said if you're going to play it, play the gamecube port. the dreamcast version has a completely hosed encounter rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The only bad thing I remember about Skies of Arcadia's world map is the encounter rate.

e: f;b

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also you might want to go for the GC version which fixes the atrocious random encounter rate of the original.

E: lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you guys got into too many random encounters on your way to make those posts

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Endorph posted:

drat

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

owned

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

a bunch of pirates having fun adventures sounds more interesting than most of the stuff I've played lately so I'll look into it

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Endorph posted:

And they were all loopers that escaped before we could kill them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dryzen posted:

a bunch of pirates having fun adventures sounds more interesting than most of the stuff I've played lately so I'll look into it

It's one of my favorite RPGs because the whole game is just "let's go on an adventure"

One word of advice though: there is a point in time where you go to a town called Maramba. Before you dock at this town, go pick up subcannons at Sailor Island. There is a fight that requires you have them or else you're in for a load of pain.

My first time through the game I didn't have subcannons. It was terrible. It wasn't being forced to tank Recumen's lasers that caused problems, it was the fight with Belleza right after where I no longer had any healing magic or repair kits due to using them all during the Recumen fight

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

I have fond memories of exploring the world maps in FF4 and 9 and poo poo but I don't really mourn their absence since unless you really like chocobo hot and cold it's not like you found anything interesting from all your exploring.

Anyone that doesn't think Chocobo Hot and Cold was the tighest poo poo can get the hell outta my face. It's still the best chocobo-related minigame in the franchise, and is only not the best minigame in general because Triple Triad exists.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's the best mini-game to me because I hate card games.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I find it telling about the quality of new games that what I want more than any new IP is a Skies of Arcadia remake

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i feel like that is more due to your nostalgia than the quality of recent games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would just like to be able to replay it on something that doesn't require digging out of my old room at my parents.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The actual gameplay of SoA was never all that good. Even the airship battles were much cooler in theory than in practice. Everything else was excellent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I would just like to be able to replay it on something that doesn't require digging out of my old room at my parents.

yeah a pc port would be cool

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I should try Skies of Arcadia too.

What's the battle system like? Is it just standard JRPG stuff aside from the boat fights?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Golden Goat posted:

What's the battle system like? Is it just standard JRPG stuff aside from the boat fights?

Yup, standard turn-based with elemental magic.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
The thing that makes Skies of Arcadia a little different to other games is the Spirit Point system. Basically, each character generates a number of SP each turn, into a universal pool, and those can be either stored up for later in the battle or used there and then for each of the character's special attacks. Guessing it's there to get you to think somewhat strategically for each battle rather than just winning by spamming your strongest attacks every round. Oftentimes waiting to use your higher SP (generally higher damaging) attacks pays off in the long run, especially in the ship battles.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So it's great mainly because it's just super light-hearted?
I'm on board. I'll check a few local shops for a copy but I might have to emulate it since my GC is fried.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Golden Goat posted:

Sort of standard except your party generates action points every round based on their own stats. The party draws from these points to perform attacks. Most basic attacks can be performed easily in the first round even with the lowest regen but some attacks/spells require you to save up a few rounds to pull off. There is a massive attack late in the game that takes the entire bar (40 points I think?) that requires a couple rounds of saving. It sounds sort of complicated and tedious on paper but at any given level, a single rounds regen is enough to do normal JRPG attacks/spells at that point in the game. By the time you get the more expensive spells and attacks, your regen is enough to use them (usually).

edit: drat beaten

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Lots of people getting owned in the RPG thread this morning

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Dryzen posted:

Lots of people getting owned in the RPG thread this morning
Everyone's alert after Skyrim mods got monetized.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The skies of arcadia battle system is nothing special but I like a lot of the character and monster designs and I appreciate that when you're choosing what attacks to use that you can see the other characters and enemies trying to hit each other in the background and missing cause it isn't their turn to fight yet

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

The skies of arcadia battle system is nothing special but I like a lot of the character and monster designs and I appreciate that when you're choosing what attacks to use that you can see the other characters and enemies trying to hit each other in the background and missing cause it isn't their turn to fight yet

That is such a nice touch. More RPGs should do this.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

HGH posted:

Speaking of BD, the second just came out yesterday in Japan and I'm hearing a lot of news that basically "It's the same but more, down to the assets". Kinda weird for me because SE went on about how western sales changed their perspective on things.

The only person I know who has it right now has told me "Hey, you know how you waited a few years to play the first one and it was super-cheap? Maybe do that again from what I'm seeing so far."

Then I used his summon to gib DeRosa for about 700k damage. gently caress that guy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Endorph posted:

i feel like that is more due to your nostalgia than the quality of recent games

There's really nothing to compare it to on consoles, at least from a aesthetic sense. I would like more robust settings in my game beyond traditional fantasy and Square Enix traditional fantasy with Star Wars technology.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like world maps. I am OK with them being actual linear in practice because it still affords the illusion of actually going on a global trotting adventure. It's not too hard for me to suspend disbelief in a video game of all things and look past them for the hardware limitation they actually were intended for, for the most part.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just like exploring cool landscapes and finding neat stuff that exists to add flavor to the world, which is why I enjoyed what little I played of xenoblade so much. Plenty of fun just running around looking at the environments and exploring stuff and finding hidden areas.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yeah i agree that its nice to have the environments, and xenoblade certainly did it in the best way possible, because there was essentially a world map. bionis and mechanis were world maps, you just never walked along on them.

the nice thing about world maps is i feel obligated to explore them completely, because i always feel like there might be a hidden place just about anywhere.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I wouldn't mind seeing a JRPG with a Metroidvania style of world map. Lots of little cool optional stuff to explore but to open up some passages to optional dungeons you need a key item from later in the game or something.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Other nice things about the skies of arcadia overworld: stuff in it changing as the game went on. It felt less segregated from the rest of the game cause you could notice small and large changes in certain key parts of the world as you explored it over the course of the game. Stuff like the various gigas bosses just chilling deactivated/dead after you beat them and stuff like that.

On the other hand, shadow hearts put all of its overworld stuff into a menu but I was fine with that too since it gave you some pretty good music to listen to and the menus obviously let you travel to the placed you need to go faster than a standard overworld.

I remember enjoying Terranigma's overworld, though the best one was the "underworld" overworld since they used the mode 7 to give the underworld a sorta hollow earth effect, so the top of the screen was just an upside piece of the overworld opposite to wherever you were currently standing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

Speaking of BD, the second just came out yesterday in Japan and I'm hearing a lot of news that basically "It's the same but more, down to the assets". Kinda weird for me because SE went on about how western sales changed their perspective on things.

That, uh, that sounds exactly like what I'd expect from that unless more of the same includes "the lovely 5-8 chapters." Making a sequel that is a better version of the first is exactly what they should do in this case with a relatively fresh new IP they want to get people engaged with.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If you like world maps and the Skies of Arcadia battle system and Tales-style plot bullshit, have I got an Arc Rise Fantasia for you!

It isn't as good as that combo sounds but it's alright.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
I enjoyed what I played of Bravely Default but I'd had my fill of the battle system and stopped playing I think just before getting to the stuff people complain about. I have no interest in another game that's just more of the same.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
they should make another ivalice game imho

where is ffta3ds

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
What I don't want is to see the majority of BD1's cast to return but that ship sailed already. I'll probably play it but part of me is bitter I quit BD1 before the true ending or whatever. I burnt out like a chapter before the end. Guess I can YouTube the canon ending ho hum.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

BD has my favorite turn based battle system, so yeah I can roll with Bravely Default But More, sure.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That, uh, that sounds exactly like what I'd expect from that unless more of the same includes "the lovely 5-8 chapters." Making a sequel that is a better version of the first is exactly what they should do in this case with a relatively fresh new IP they want to get people engaged with.

Yeah but the reception very much seems to be similar to the above mentioned burnout. People seem to not want more. Also apparently there's a lot of locales reused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i hope bd2 is just forty hours of doing those crystals again