Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

So what are the actual differences between Clots, Cysts and Slashers? They seem very similar on normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Highly Unnecessary posted:

So what are the actual differences between Clots, Cysts and Slashers? They seem very similar on normal.

Mostly just movement speed and pattern, from what I can tell. Cysts shamble very slowly and upright, making them easy to evade and shoot. Clots are pretty similar, but their powerwalk is a tad faster. Slashers move the fastest, and more importantly are bent forward and twitch around erratically in a way that makes hitting their heads a fair bit more difficult.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Meldonox posted:

Is the hammer everyone's favorite berserker weapon? I gotta say, I preferred shovel to katana when I started playing the other night but I haven't had a lot of time to explore my options in depth.

The katana is not a berserker weapon any more, so you won't get XP for using it.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Does a highly leveled Berserker benefit from using the Katana, though?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Does a highly leveled Berserker benefit from using the Katana, though?

I'm pretty sure the game specifies that you only get bonuses for Berserker weapons

Meldonox posted:

Is the hammer everyone's favorite berserker weapon? I gotta say, I preferred shovel to katana when I started playing the other night but I haven't had a lot of time to explore my options in depth.

The hammer is the best Berserker weapon and the nail-gun is the second best weapon and you can carry both of them plus a medic pistol/smg

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 25, 2015

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Penpal posted:

I tried berserker for the first time last night and got halfway to level 3, playing some normal and hard matches. I have to say, I really enjoy the berserker perk, it really reminds me of the combat in Condemned: Criminal Origins, which really did melee well, mostly because the enemies had really good reactions to each hit, which kf2 has. The zeds seem to move in the direction you've struck them, etc.

I really, really wish you could change the direction of the default swing though. I wish the default swing was horizontal as opposed to vertical. I think 99% of other games that focus on melee of have a decent melee system (Dying Light, for example) have the default swing as a horizontal swipe because you're going to be mobbed. I find i'm strafing too much trying to get hor. strikes in because in the heat of the moment, I can't really "rely" on myself to land them 100% and half the time a vertical swing will pop out if I'm not already strafing too much.

I guess I should post this on the tripwire forums, but still, I wish the default swing for the zerk was horizontal. I think it would just make the class more fun. The overhead swing anyway seems like more of a power move, and if I want it, holding forward and striking is easier than holding left or right and swinging. Does anyone feel the same way?

Melee moves are directional. If you're moving forward when you attack you get the vertical swing, if you're moving left you get a horizontal swing to the left, moving right gets you a horizontal swing to the right, and moving backwards gets you a backhand swing. I'm pretty sure attacking while standing still gives you a horizontal swing, too.

This video from the OP is worth watching for a breakdown of the melee mechanics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkQstOLz83I

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
edit: nvm

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Opposing Farce posted:

Melee moves are directional. If you're moving forward when you attack you get the vertical swing, if you're moving left you get a horizontal swing to the left, moving right gets you a horizontal swing to the right, and moving backwards gets you a backhand swing. I'm pretty sure attacking while standing still gives you a horizontal swing, too.

This video from the OP is worth watching for a breakdown of the melee mechanics:

All those mentions of strafing etc in his post kinda sorta shows he knows about the differences in swing directions.

Penpal posted:

I really, really wish you could change the direction of the default swing though. I wish the default swing was horizontal as opposed to vertical.

Not me, getting a little sideways movement is easy enough in open spaces and if I'm holding a chokepoint I want the horizontal vertical default swing.

Ed: Then again I don't think I'll play zerker much. I didn't play that much zerker on KF1 either, gimme firebug, gimme commando.

Musluk fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 25, 2015

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Mostly just movement speed and pattern, from what I can tell. Cysts shamble very slowly and upright, making them easy to evade and shoot. Clots are pretty similar, but their powerwalk is a tad faster. Slashers move the fastest, and more importantly are bent forward and twitch around erratically in a way that makes hitting their heads a fair bit more difficult.

The Slasher will also break into a sprint after getting damaged but not killed and doesn't spawn in groups like every other zed from what I've seen. Slashers seem to spawn away from everything and have a habit of ending up behind players to catch them by surprise

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Musluk posted:

Not me, getting a little sideways movement is easy enough in open spaces and if I'm holding a chokepoint I want the horizontal default swing.

Ed: Then again I don't think I'll play zerker much. I didn't play that much zerker on KF1 either, gimme firebug, gimme commando.

Your post is breaking my mind. Do you mean you want vertical strikes on choke points?

Personally, I'd like being able to default to horizontal swings cause they feel faster than the overhead. But I don't play with berzerker and only used the shovel and hammer a smattering of times in the beta.

Nothing quite as satisfying as chopping the heads off of three clots at once in slow mo and then watching them all have different dying animations.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The Slasher will also break into a sprint after getting damaged but not killed and doesn't spawn in groups like every other zed from what I've seen. Slashers seem to spawn away from everything and have a habit of ending up behind players to catch them by surprise

I've noticed bundles of 5 slashers in hard games. Or was it suicidal? I can't remember, but only noticing a lot less cysts compared to normal. Could just have luck of the draw however.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Broose posted:

Your post is breaking my mind. Do you mean you want vertical strikes on choke points?

Personally, I'd like being able to default to horizontal swings cause they feel faster than the overhead. But I don't play with berzerker and only used the shovel and hammer a smattering of times in the beta.

Nothing quite as satisfying as chopping the heads off of three clots at once in slow mo and then watching them all have different dying animations.

The answer is simple, I always confuse horizontal with vertical.

So yeah, vertical when standing is fine for me.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Every game with melee combat should just rip the system straight out of Mount and Blade

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Had more than half goons on a team and we were still undermined by one stupid "Me only" pub that would solo away from the group to get the trash spawn while the rest of us dealt with Skrigs and Flesh Pounds. When he finally died that's when he decided to use the mic and bitch at us for money.

Tripwire really needs to set it up where soloers are the ones that have the big ones spawn or go for them to help teach people that this is a team game.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Dr. VooDoo posted:

On higher difficulties they'll also do a tumble/roll thing right in prime head shot range which is really annoying as support.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Crabtree posted:

Had more than half goons on a team and we were still undermined by one stupid "Me only" pub that would solo away from the group to get the trash spawn while the rest of us dealt with Skrigs and Flesh Pounds. When he finally died that's when he decided to use the mic and bitch at us for money.

Tripwire really needs to set it up where soloers are the ones that have the big ones spawn or go for them to help teach people that this is a team game.

Play this quite a bit last night and it was a blast. The only frustrating match was when everyone went different directions and kind of did their own thing. One thing I would like to see implemented is a way to see where your teamates are when they're far away. Sometimes I get lost and have no idea where the rest of my team is.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

Insert name here posted:

Haha had a game earlier on ~Goon Squad~ that resulted in 5 of us dying to one Scrake cause we decided to bunch up on a corner. No one saw that coming at all!

We were trying to take turns tanking it. It just got impatient. :v:

Is it me or do frag grenades seem to have a small blast radius? I can see the shrapnel goes a bit of distance but the results can be underwhelming. Had one go off in a 3 deep line of zeds. One clot survived and was pushed into my face from the explosion. :argh:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Broose posted:

I've noticed bundles of 5 slashers in hard games. Or was it suicidal? I can't remember, but only noticing a lot less cysts compared to normal. Could just have luck of the draw however.

Oh no they'll spawn in groups of themselves but you unless their pathing ends up putting them with other zeds you won't have, say, a group of gorefasts and slashers or bloats and slashers like you do with clots and cysts. They spawn only with other slashers and away from other spawning zed groups. If you find yourself wandering around alone you'll often run into slashers off in some empty part of the map because of that. They like getting the drop on players

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Artistry in primary colours:

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!

Blight Runner posted:

We were trying to take turns tanking it. It just got impatient. :v:

Is it me or do frag grenades seem to have a small blast radius? I can see the shrapnel goes a bit of distance but the results can be underwhelming. Had one go off in a 3 deep line of zeds. One clot survived and was pushed into my face from the explosion. :argh:

I don't remember which perk has which grenades but either the support or commando does have a smaller radius, but more power. I'm thinking it's the commando because that would be his only effective way of contributing to the big guys.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I think the HE nades from support have solid range but less power. Good for the small fry.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I've gotten the hang of the Hans fight and I'm having more fun with it, though I still wish he glowed something unmistakable (like white) when invulnerable. Can't wait for the other two bosses.

After some more trigger time, I still really dislike how slow the burst is on the Varmint Rifle. If its burst was much snappier, I would officially love all four of the Commando's weapons.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Played my first hard/long games today.

:suicide:

It was a 5-man premade all level 8 or higher and we still got wrecked in all 6 matches we played. We never made it past wave 7.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Penpal posted:

I really, really wish you could change the direction of the default swing though. I wish the default swing was horizontal as opposed to vertical. I think 99% of other games that focus on melee of have a decent melee system (Dying Light, for example) have the default swing as a horizontal swipe because you're going to be mobbed. I find i'm strafing too much trying to get hor. strikes in because in the heat of the moment, I can't really "rely" on myself to land them 100% and half the time a vertical swing will pop out if I'm not already strafing too much.

The way the zerk swings their weapon is based off their movement, if you're moving forward you'll always do an overhead swing, if you're moving side to side or strafing you'll always swing left to right, if you're moving backwards you'll do like diagonal swings.

So you can choose what direction you want to swing in you just need the space for it.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Musluk posted:

The answer is simple, I always confuse horizontal with vertical.

So yeah, vertical when standing is fine for me.

If you attack while standing still you get the horizontal (side-to-side) motion. To get the vertical (up-and-down) motion you have to move forward. That's why I assumed the first poster didn't know about the directional attacks, because while it might seem like the vertical attack is the "default" because you're likely to be walking forward towards your target when doing a melee attack the reality is that the horizontal attack already is the default, at least insomuch as there is a default. I guess what people are saying is they'd like to have a horizontal swing as the forward attack but if you actually think about the control scheme and what the moves available to you are it wouldn't make any sense to do it that way.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

What's all this talk about Scrakes and not shooting them? :confused:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Any tips on fighting the stupid scientist boss as Support? He just tears you up when you are close and shotguns aren't known for their range. So far the boss fight has been my least favorite part of the game. He has a hundred billion health, melts your health and is 10x as fast as you are. It's not fun to fight at all.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

raverrn posted:

It seems like some people have settled on a strategy where you kite the big enemies around the map while clearing out all of the smaller zeds, then pick off the Scrakes and Fleshpounds one by one at the end of the wave. It seems to work (I managed to win a 10-wave hard map with a group of pubs doing it) but I think goons generally prefer to find a defensible area and just hold out there.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 25, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jimbot posted:

Any tips on fighting the stupid scientist boss as Support? He just tears you up when you are close and shotguns aren't known for their range. So far the boss fight has been my least favorite part of the game. He has a hundred billion health, melts your health and is 10x as fast as you are. It's not fun to fight at all.

By yourself? Get in his face and circle strafe him then run the hell away when you see him throw nades, don't EVER approach him if he's to far away he'll rip you up with his guns otherwise.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Jimbot posted:

AA12 supremacy. I deliberately go support at the boss wave and I save for the AA12 because that'll gently caress Hans up real good.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's just thing, we get him down to critical health (sparks flying around, deep red glowy bits) but then he takes another million shots before he finally dies. At least it seems that way. I've not had fun with that fight at all. But then again, I've never liked bullet sponge bosses in first person shooters.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

raverrn posted:

Once their health gets low enough (looks like about 2/3 of their max but I don't play commando much), they start sprinting at you. If you don't shoot them, you can calmly shoot everything else around him first, and then take them on once you're ready for it. If you're taking a Scrake on mano y mano as a Support, I'd recommend hitting him twice in the head with the AA12 (three seems to set him off), then hit him with the butt of the gun to stagger him back (don't do this if he's already mid-attack or something, because then it won't stagger him) and start unloading into him.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Opposing Farce posted:

It seems like some people have settled on a strategy where you kite the big enemies around the map while clearing out all of the smaller ones, then pick off the Scrakes and Fleshpounds one by one at the end of the wave. It seems to work (I managed to win a 10-wave hard map with a group of pubs doing it) but I think goons generally prefer the "find a defensible area and hold out there" method.

It's generally a good idea to at least try and not piss them off until you're ready for it, holding an area or not. It's nice to at least wait until there's some backup and you don't have clots on all sides. One of my biggest causes of death is scrakes I'm not prepared for because I was still trying to clear trash or something. Getting a good position for the big dudes is important, and sometimes that means you've just gotta avoid them for a bit.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Jimbot posted:

There isn't actually that much to him, you just have to take advantage of cover, make sure your team doesn't stay too close to each other, and use hit-and-run tactics. If he's trying to melee you and you can't get away, you can always pull out your melee weapon and try to parry him (turns out everyone can do it, not just berserkers), though you need to be pretty quick on the draw to make it work.

As a side note, does blocking (not parrying) a Scrake with the Pulverizer give you any kind of damage reduction on his attacks? I was experimenting using the standard knife instead of the Pulverizer to parry mini-bosses and I noticed the knife definitely gave some defense on a block but I wasn't sure if the Pulverizer did. It might have just been that the little "clink" noise the knife makes when you defend is more distinctive than the Pulverizer's "thing hitting wood" noise. I also felt like the knife might have been a little faster/had less of a delay between shoves but that might have just been confirmation bias.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Jimbot posted:

I main Support. Essentially, keep a happy medium of a range between you and Hans. Far enough where you are semi-safe, but close enough that most of the shotgun pellets hit him. Also, be aware of whatever phase he is in so that you don't end up wasting an entire AA12 mag when he's in his near-invulnerability phase.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

UltraVariant posted:

I main Support. Essentially, keep a happy medium of a range between you and Hans. Far enough where you are semi-safe, but close enough that most of the shotgun pellets hit him. Also, be aware of whatever phase he is in so that you don't end up wasting an entire AA12 mag when he's in his near-invulnerability phase.

I keep seeing people mention this. When is it? Is it when he grabs someone?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How do you tell what phase that is? That the phase where he charges at people trying to drain their health? This is what I meant about feedback in my previous post. I can't tell if I'm hitting him, doing damage, not doing damage, ect. There just isn't any indicators or sound feedback. It's especially hard in his fight since he throws toxic gas grenades everywhere and the fog stuff obscures vision.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

He has damage reduction while he's grabbing a player, yeah. You know when it happens because his glow color changes (indicating a new phase), he drops a bunch of white smoke bombs, and he'll be sprinting head-on towards the nearest player. The reduction applies from when he drops the bombs and starts running to when he puts down the player he's grabbed.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jimbot posted:

How do you tell what phase that is? That the phase where he charges at people trying to drain their health? This is what I meant about feedback in my previous post. I can't tell if I'm hitting him, doing damage, not doing damage, ect. There just isn't any indicators or sound feedback. It's especially hard in his fight since he throws toxic gas grenades everywhere and the fog stuff obscures vision.

Basically as long as he's either currently draining somebody or is charging after somebody to drain, he has a significant damage reduction (about 85%, I think), so it's usually not worth shooting him then. He can drain people three times, changing colour/appearance every time (yellow after the first drain, red after the second, red with sparks after the third). Each drain restores him to full health, and after each one he becomes more aggressive and throws out more grenades, and after the last one he just keeps charging and melee attacking.

Personally I tend to stick with my "smaller" primary (double-barreled for support, SA-80 for commando) for the first two phases, and then bust out the big guns on the last stretch when time is of the essence.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Don't bother shooting at him at all between the moment he changes colour and the moment he drops the grabbed player. Use this time instead to heal the grabbee, clear some trash mobs and reposition yourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3ylknTuPHA

game's done. ship it.