Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
I think my highest is the T-150 personally I still enjoy my KV-1 more than most other tanks. Honestly I'm to lazy to work toward tier X that just so much grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Arishtat posted:

I should have been dead multiple times but sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocGKgWYibfw

Props to Turkey_Vulture for yelling at me over TeamSpeak to let me know of the impending face loving I was about to receive and also to the teammates who actually clicked on red tanks and killed everything that moved.

Intense game there. What sound pack are you using? The cannon fire & shell impacts are awesome.

The Southern Dandy posted:

Now, while it might not as well machined as the greatest pistol in the world, aka the Browning High-CaliberPower, that boy will break tier X games wide open.

FTFY. :rolleyes:

Azhais posted:

I have a hard time hitting things with my M41, dunno why. Also I'm sad I moved to the FV304, should have stuck to the bishop. The 304's gun is just too underpowered for the higher tier matches and its frustrating pelting some T8 for 100 damage a shot.

Ahahaha no. The Bishop/304's gun is perfect. It might only hit for 400-ish damage when it pens, but it frequently pens, which is more than you can say for most arty. It has good accuracy, aim time, and reload. Even when you can't pen upper tiers you can almost perma-track them and you can bet they're swearing at you the whole time. There's not much you could buff on the 304 (or the gun, in particular) that wouldn't make it even more OP (and keep in mind, you have to face them as well.) The most important aspect of arty is the ability to harvest pubbie tears, and the 304 does that better than any other.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I've been playing the British artillery lately, I'm up to the Bishop. The only thing that has made the experience seem even vaguely fun is simultaneously going through the grind towards the ELC and the Cromwell, and having to drive the loving M7. gently caress the M7.

How anyone new persists with this game long enough to get out of the first four tiers is beyond me.

Are you talking about the M7 MT? The tier 5 US? If you are, then you've got to be out of your goddamn mind, that tank is awesome. Ridiculous mobility and a decent gun. Granted, this might not match your play style, which is fine, but it's a fantastic tank. You should get gud maybe.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I can't seem to scout in it, I certainly can't fight in it. It's just something to get exploded in. I have no idea why I suck so much at it. Fast mediums are usually my best tanks.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 27, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Things that go fast tend to get me in trouble. I could slow down and safely go off this hill or I could keep going fast and launch off it breaking half my modules and killing half my crew but secure in the knowledge that I wasn't a punk bitch that slowed down.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
To be honest, my opinion is probably clouded by having played almost entirely in tier VII. Out of interest, what gun would you recommend? I've been using the QF 6-pdr so far.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

To be honest, my opinion is probably clouded by having played almost entirely in tier VII. Out of interest, what gun would you recommend? I've been using the QF 6-pdr so far.
You definitely want to use the 6-pdr in the M7. It's a solid gun. I pack a handful of APCR rounds for higher tier matches though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

That's what I always used in it, for the better pen especially with APCR.

It's a drat good tank, but frustration is understandable if you've been having a streak of bad luck.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

:siren:EnsignExpendable:siren:

Come play WarThunder tanks with me first and foremost, love DM.

Second, could you come to the WT thread and share some of your stuff on the testing done on the Tiger's gun? We need some more ground forces sperg and it is salient to current changes going on.

tia~

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RanKizama posted:

I just want a higher tier arty for Missions. With spotting mechanics the way they are and the lack of good scout maps, the Light Tank missions are a royal pain in the rear end so I'm trying to avoid them.

I've found lower tier arty is easier to complete most of them. gently caress shooting light tanks in a tier 10 when its like fish in a barrel at t4. I did 90% of those missions in the bishop. I'm just stuck on the "platoon of spgs and do 20% of total team damage" mission because the one guy that I usually platoon with only has a t10 arty and I sold my batchat.

I figure a comedy leFH platoon is the way to go.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

RanKizama posted:

I just want a higher tier arty for Missions. With spotting mechanics the way they are and the lack of good scout maps, the Light Tank missions are a royal pain in the rear end so I'm trying to avoid them.

Some of the arty missions are impossible without one of the tier 8+ artillery pieces carrying the top gun, most notably the "damage X tanks with one shell" missions

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

WebDO posted:

Second, could you come to the WT thread and share some of your stuff on the testing done on the Tiger's gun? We need some more ground forces sperg and it is salient to current changes going on.

tia~

This is how the insidious ginger works. He finds a way to tempt you in: "Oh let's play War Thunder." War Thunder sucks. He's tried it with me. He's still a dirty ginge.

"Oh let's be friends on Steam." Well, he plays the shittiest games.

Never trust a ginge, or a pubby.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I think the M7 is good actually, since it is fast.

Yeah, M7 is good.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

The Southern Dandy posted:

This is how the insidious ginger works. He finds a way to tempt you in: "Oh let's play War Thunder." War Thunder sucks. He's tried it with me. He's still a dirty ginge.

"Oh let's be friends on Steam." Well, he plays the shittiest games.

Never trust a ginge, or a pubby.

Excuse me princess, but you kept promising you would play and then did like one time, and things have much improved since. :colbert:

I do currently play another bad game though. Space ninjas is an ok FPS pseudo-Diablo wrapped in a bad game.

So how about you and Ensign come along together and we'll all hold hands and get chat banned for a month like in the good old days :allears:

one on a bun
Oct 23, 2008
Can anyone tell me why winrate shows a billion loving decimal places on my xvm config? Not really sure whats happening here

Also i guess the batchat is missing a letter in the font in the bottom left i dunno

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

WebDO posted:

Excuse me princess, but you kept promising you would play and then did like one time, and things have much improved since. :colbert:

I do currently play another bad game though. Space ninjas is an ok FPS pseudo-Diablo wrapped in a bad game.

So how about you and Ensign come along together and we'll all hold hands and get chat banned for a month like in the good old days :allears:

<3

You know why I played WT one time, because it loving sucked.

[e] gently caress, okay, I'll do this. Just look at your words. It's an "ok FPS pseudo-Diablo wrapped in a bad game."

That's not Warthunder, that's the other lovely F2P game you play. Don't get me wrong, I like you, and we have had a storied history of making enemy teams weep, but loving poo poo! Don't be such a temptress.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 27, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I can't seem to scout in it, I certainly can't fight in it. It's just something to get exploded in. I have no idea why I suck so much at it. Fast mediums are usually my best tanks.

It's quick enough to do a little active scouting, or you could passive scout in a bush. It's maneuverable enough to circle many of the enemies you'll face, which is fun as hell. The 6 pdr is solid and handles better than the goddamn M1A1 from the M4, for comparison. I similarly like the Pz3/4. Tanks like these just have to "click" with you; it's not a problem with you or the tank, you just haven't reached that point yet.

one on a bun posted:

Can anyone tell me why winrate shows a billion loving decimal places on my xvm config? Not really sure whats happening here

Also i guess the batchat is missing a letter in the font in the bottom left i dunno

Because whoever created that XVM config forgot to have it round to two digits.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Atomizer posted:

I, for one, need that level of precision to know which of the 79%ers to call a noob

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

NotWearingPants posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a decent gaming headset that doesn't cost a lot?

I guess I'm leaning towards this one because I've heard of the company and it's cheap: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826158082

You can't go wrong with these ones on a budget: http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-G...ecom+headphones

I go through headphones like no tomorrow I have been using these versions for the past few years. I normally went through headphones on a monthly basis before I found these guys

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Stevefin posted:

You can't go wrong with these ones on a budget: http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-G...ecom+headphones

I just got these and they are very good but the only thing that is driving me crazy are the ear muff parts are so small theyll smash your ear unless you like tuck all that poo poo into them.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 28, 2015

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

BadLlama posted:

I just got these and they are very good but the only thing that is driving me crazy are the ear muff parts are so small theyll smash your ear unless you like tuck all that poo poo into them.

Its not a problem for me, But than I have smaller than normal ears. I can't even use normal earphones :v:

one on a bun
Oct 23, 2008

Atomizer posted:

Until this version of XVM it truncated automatically stop randomly changing poo poo in mods ffs

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Someone elsewhere suggested I try to T18 and that it would help me learn the M3...I was not disappointed:

leading to....

Basically, I'm learning the Lee only really shines on urban maps going around corners rather than hills where its tall rear end sticks out.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Blindeye posted:

Basically, I'm learning the Lee only really shines on urban maps going around corners rather than hills where its tall rear end sticks out.

The lee only has one thing going for it and that's raw DPM.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

if he wanted out so bad he should have just worn a dress like corporal klinger

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Desuwa posted:

The lee only has one thing going for it and that's raw DPM.

You should have told him Vietnam is a fabrication of the liberal media. The chat logs would have been much, much longer and funnier.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I've been playing the British artillery lately, I'm up to the Bishop. The only thing that has made the experience seem even vaguely fun is simultaneously going through the grind towards the ELC and the Cromwell, and having to drive the loving M7. gently caress the M7.

How anyone new persists with this game long enough to get out of the first four tiers is beyond me.

M7 Priest or M7 medium tank? The M7 medium tank isn't actually as bad as it used to be, since there's no longer 15 M4s and Pz IVs per tier 5 game and the M7 has good mobility and view range.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Blindeye posted:

Nice job on the 1st Class!

The biggest point people need to understand about the Lee is that an exposed Lee is a dead Lee. Map knowledge is pretty crucial since it'll give you the opportunity to deploy to critical choke points with effect hard-cover to hide your tank behind. Rocks, cliffs, and buildings are your friends. Crossing open fields and cresting high ground are some of the worst things you can do.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
When I was playing a lot last year I used Gnomefather's gun sounds mod for a time, because I really liked those sounds versus the default. However, I eventually had to switch back to the default sounds because Gnomefather's kept causing 0.5 - 2 second stutters and microfreeze issues. Does anyone know if that has been worked out, or if there is a similar mod that doesn't have the same issues?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ELI PORTER posted:

When I was playing a lot last year I used Gnomefather's gun sounds mod for a time, because I really liked those sounds versus the default. However, I eventually had to switch back to the default sounds because Gnomefather's kept causing 0.5 - 2 second stutters and microfreeze issues. Does anyone know if that has been worked out, or if there is a similar mod that doesn't have the same issues?

Wargaming significantly improved the default sounds, if that helps

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

NTRabbit posted:

Wargaming significantly improved the default sounds, if that helps

Yeah, they do seem better, but I'm curious to try a gun sound mod out.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Stevefin posted:

I go through headphones like no tomorrow I have been using these versions for the past few years. I normally went through headphones on a monthly basis before I found these guys

And if you're willing to toss in another :10bux: then these are pretty good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826436028 (and probably have more ear-room).

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Due to my lack of patience and abundance of gold I decided to buy the AMX 30 Proto and all of its bells and whistles.

I like it. It is quick, gun hits hard RoF is decent, pretty stealthy and shell velocity is great. Only real problem is aim time. Was only able to get 2nd mastery class, so some people are doing Really loving good in this thing. Can't wait to play around in it more, was well worth the gross amount of gold I dumped into it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

WebDO posted:

tia~

I don't really have that much on the Tiger shooting at things, mostly on things shooting at the Tiger. Has GF improved? I played a few months back, it was like WoT but more boring and battles took forever and there was no way to predict how many times you had to shoot someone before they died.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

ELI PORTER posted:

Yeah, they do seem better, but I'm curious to try a gun sound mod out.
I used to have the same problem, but far as I can tell the later versions of Gnomefather's have at least alleviated the issue somewhat. Either that or I got used to it. :v:
As for other mods, there's a gun sound pack ripped from War Thunder ground forces. I think they're overall better than WoT's sounds, and don't cause any performance issues at all. The mod lacks the cool distant explosion sounds and other cool effects of Gnomefather's' mod, but is a good intermediate option. Aslain's mod pack includes it, probably other packs do too. It's what I currently use, since I got annoyed by all the stupidly distorted big gun sounds in GF's mod.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Mesadoram posted:

Due to my lack of patience and abundance of gold I decided to buy the AMX 30 Proto and all of its bells and whistles.

I like it. It is quick, gun hits hard RoF is decent, pretty stealthy and shell velocity is great. Only real problem is aim time. Was only able to get 2nd mastery class, so some people are doing Really loving good in this thing. Can't wait to play around in it more, was well worth the gross amount of gold I dumped into it.

:smug:

But yeah it's really awesome. I'm still stock except for the 2nd gun, which is quite adequate for tier 9. I had to put torsion bars on since I don' t have the tracks yet. Should I just go straight for the tier 10 gun and then get everything else later? Or should I go for the turret before the gun? I know I don't need the turret to use the top gun, but I've heard that the gun handling is better with the upgraded turret.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Uranium 235 posted:

But yeah it's really awesome. I'm still stock except for the 2nd gun, which is quite adequate for tier 9. I had to put torsion bars on since I don' t have the tracks yet. Should I just go straight for the tier 10 gun and then get everything else later? Or should I go for the turret before the gun? I know I don't need the turret to use the top gun, but I've heard that the gun handling is better with the upgraded turret.

The turret gets you a teeny tiny bit of ROF, base acc and aim time but the bloom is still just as bad.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Prav posted:

The turret gets you a teeny tiny bit of ROF, base acc and aim time but the bloom is still just as bad.
If the ROF, accuracy, and aim time are not that much worse with the stock turret then I'll just get the gun first. Maybe tracks next (so I can stop using torsion bars and get optics or vents instead), then turret, then engine?

What are the advantages of the top engine? Just lower fire chance and weight? Doesn't seem significant.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I got the Centurion 7/1 in the end and I'm loving it so far rolling around stock but the OQF 20-pdr Gun Type B Barrel just seems like a tax on upgrading your tank, it's very very very slightly better than the Type A barrel for 40K XP. Bah

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Seems the Black Prince isn't invincible after all:

He has the Caernarvon unlocked and has played in it. At what point should you just move on from a tank you don't excel in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is he just afking and or drowning himself repeatedly in the BP? In a BP if you literally just hit r three times, right click the first enemy tank you see and hold mouse one you will do 1000% better than his stats.