Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

nate fisher posted:

So the same guy who did this, did American Hot Summer? I haven't seen it, but is it more a satire or parody or just absurd (like Eastbound & Down for example)? I was wondering if it would be something I like (some of the comedies I like are Parks & Rec, Eastbound & Down, early Office, Silicon Valley, Community)

WHAS is sketch-ier and a little less focused in what its parodying, but its on the exact same dumb humor wavelength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

a foolish pianist posted:

It made more sense in the 90s.

RE: Natural Born Killers - This is absolutely true. I watched it recently as well but I saw it in the theaters when it came out. Back then we were just developing the 24 hour news cycle, shock talk shows were all the rage, like Morton Downey Jr, Jerry Springer and Geraldo, where they would bring Nazis and polygamists and anybody with an "out there" world view on to the stage and hope for shocking fireworks.

If you remember that those things were brand new, and things like youtube, rotten.com and ogrish were still a decade away, it's actually an incredibly prophetic movie. The irony is that the "shocking" scenes, camera angles, lighting, and "in your face" actions are really quite tame and even campy compared to what has become commonplace in the decades since.

Which reminds me, Evocateur - The Morton Downey Jr. Movie is on streaming and absolutely worth watching if you want a taste of 1989 and the origins of shock TV and the loudmouth right wing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
It goes without saying, but Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is still an absolute masterpiece of a film. I turned it on for something to have on in the background and it lured me in all over again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i haaaaate the movie version of Talk Radio. Play's great, though.

Platoon is one of my favorite movies of all time.

I really hate Talk Radio.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jack Gladney posted:

It's also about the ugly feelings you're not supposed to have about your children.

They Came Together sounds a lot darker than I thought it would be

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

precision posted:

I didn't know Stone directed Talk Radio, that's a fantastic film. Wall Street is also amazing.

We are the only people in the world who seem to like that movie, btw. Nice to meet you.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Don't know how recent it is but National Treasure is up on Netflix. It better stay up for ever.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Question: Do you guys use any software to watch or track things across different sources? I have a bunch of stuff I keep losing track of. I realized today that I've only seen the first two episodes of Community, because I just never look at Yahoo Video when I'm sitting down at the TV.

I tried XBMC for a while, but it's both overcomplicated and underfunctional. Seems like there should be something simpler, that can keep track of what shows I'm watching, a queue of movies, and give me links to different sources.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

wafflesnsegways posted:

Question: Do you guys use any software to watch or track things across different sources? I have a bunch of stuff I keep losing track of. I realized today that I've only seen the first two episodes of Community, because I just never look at Yahoo Video when I'm sitting down at the TV.

I tried XBMC for a while, but it's both overcomplicated and underfunctional. Seems like there should be something simpler, that can keep track of what shows I'm watching, a queue of movies, and give me links to different sources.

You would think Roku would do this, would have a global watchlist. Only makes sense given the entire raison d'etre of that device, no? You would think it'd have that. You would be wrong.

:(

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

wafflesnsegways posted:

I would kill for something like this that also periodically recommends shows that I've started but haven't got around to finishing.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

wafflesnsegways posted:

Sidereel

It only does TV but it does that really well. Beyond that I just use Criticker for what films I've seen, which also gives great reccs (but doesn't sync up with what's available on streaming sites or anything). Also it's just a site, not software, but yeah

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I've been on a little bit of a WWI one kick and watched Our World War which was just okay for the most part. I really wished it had been a little better or maybe just longer. There are certain things about it I really liked, but it seems kind of light and really glosses over great swaths of the war to its detriment I feel. Although, there is a bit towards the end of the first episode that seems like such total bullshit, but nope it totally happened and they even have an audio recording of the gentleman it happened to at the very end of the episode. Spoiler if you're curious what I'm talking about, but don't feel like watching it: A man is ordered to stay alone on a Maxim to buy time for his retreating comrades, and after be wounded a couple times is shot in the head. He gets back up, partially dismantles the gun, and dumps it in a river as Germans swarm his position. Apparently the Germans realized he was only mostly dead, and he was taken to a p.o.w. hospital where he spent the rest of the war. He survived his injuries, was awarded a Victoria Cross and lived to be an old man. Good for him.

I also watched The First World War From Above. I rather enjoyed it, but again wish it was more in depth or just longer. The name may be a bit misleading, but it's not about dog-fighting in WWI, it's actually more about air reconnaissance footage. The images, the stories of what they show, and even what the areas look like now are all truly awesome, and I mean that in the traditional sense. At the very end they meet with a woman that never knew her parents since they were tortured and executed as spies by the Nazis when she an infant, and they show her footage they found of her father flying a survey of the front after the end of the First World War. It's a beautiful moment.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I looooooooove Eric Bogosian's performance in Talk Radio but I have to turn my internal irony meter to loving eleven for it not to feel like one of the smuggest, stupidest movies on earth.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hulu just got the rights to the entire Seinfeld series. gently caress.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Jose Oquendo posted:

Welp, there goes my life

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

nate fisher posted:

So the same guy who did this, did American Hot Summer? I haven't seen it, but is it more a satire or parody or just absurd (like Eastbound & Down for example)? I was wondering if it would be something I like (some of the comedies I like are Parks & Rec, Eastbound & Down, early Office, Silicon Valley, Community)
It's not streaming (that I know of) but I thought that Wanderlust was one of David Wain's best efforts yet. I rewatch that one every once in a while and there's a bizarro cut made up completely of alternative takes that's pretty great.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I assume they will have the full episodes instead of the cut up syndicated versions, but I wonder if they will have them in widescreen or not.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

wa27 posted:

I assume they will have the full episodes instead of the cut up syndicated versions, but I wonder if they will have them in widescreen or not.

Were they shot in widescreen?

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Chichevache posted:

It goes without saying, but Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is still an absolute masterpiece of a film. I turned it on for something to have on in the background and it lured me in all over again.

I never get tired of this movie. It's just so visually pretty and has some great lines.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

A MIRACLE posted:

IIRC widescreen exists for the show but it's "uncropped" so there are occasionally unintended things that weren't "in the shot" in the frame on widescreen. Unless I'm remembering that from something else.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Hulu also grabbed exclusive rights to "future" AMC content, so stuff like that new Walking Dead spinoff and their next dozen flailing dramas that try to recapture the magic of Mad Men and Breaking Bad

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

morestuff posted:

Hulu also grabbed exclusive rights to "future" AMC content, so stuff like that new Walking Dead spinoff and their next dozen flailing dramas that try to recapture the magic of Mad Men and Breaking Bad

Only thing that interest me post Mad Men on AMC is the Preacher adaption, but they will screw it up.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

no, but the HD widescreen versions on TBS do have a little more data on the sides so it's not terrible. You still get scenes where people's heads a chopped off, though. It would be cool if Hulu did HD fullscreen, but I really doubt that will happen.

But anything will be a step up from TBS. Right now that's the only way to watch the episodes in HD (I think?) and not only are they cropped, they are the cut-down syndicated versions and they actually speed it up by 9% to fit more commercials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6i1VVikRu0

example of widescreen cropping:

wa27 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 29, 2015

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

wa27 posted:

no, but the HD widescreen versions on TBS do have a little more data on the sides so it's not terrible. You still get scenes where people's heads a chopped off, though. It would be cool if Hulu did HD fullscreen, but I really doubt that will happen.

But anything will be a step up from TBS. Right now that's the only way to watch the episodes in HD (I think?) and not only are they cropped, they are the cut-down syndicated versions and they actually speed it up by 9% to fit more commercials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6i1VVikRu0

example of widescreen cropping:

This is so stupid. That's a perfect example of how the show is composed along the Y axis in a visually interesting way that tells you something about the characters. You gain nothing from showing the film edges.

Not that Seinfeld is the most visually inventive show. But still.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

guess I have to buy a hulu now because lol if you think I'm passing up the ability to watch any and all seinfelds on command at long last

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

MinibarMatchman posted:

guess I have to buy a hulu now because lol if you think I'm passing up the ability to watch any and all seinfelds on command at long last

Hope you like watching the same daily burn commercial on repeat.

It looks like *you're* out of excuses

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Hope you like watching the same daily burn commercial on repeat.

It looks like *you're* out of excuses

People who buy ads on Hulu have to know that there is a fatigue involved in seeing the same ad loving over and over. I learn to hate the products advertised instead of just becoming aware of them (and maybe eventually purchasing them) like a commercial is supposed to do.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is the ad that's trying to copy the Harlem Shake fad? Twix maybe? Whatever it is I'm boycotting then for life .

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

MinibarMatchman posted:

idk if this is :files: but you can just google "watch seinfeld online" and voila

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

NESguerilla posted:

What is the ad that's trying to copy the Harlem Shake fad? Twix maybe? Whatever it is I'm boycotting then for life .
I'll join this boycott if someone finds out.

Do obnoxious ads actually work in some way, overall? Like, the majority of people must just not care enough to have the kind of visceral, repulsed reaction you'd expect, or else big companies would go out of business all the time with the dumb poo poo they do.

I still refuse to buy or even look at anything to do with Old Navy, and this is based entirely on a particularly horrific TV campaign that has to have been over for at least several years. It's permanently burned into my brain as a negative association though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When I Googled "watch Seinfeld online", the link for watching it legally on Crackle (where it's been for years) was just above the news story saying "Now that Hulu had bought Seinfeld you can finally watch it online". Nice research team guys, nice

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

precision posted:

When I Googled "watch Seinfeld online", the link for watching it legally on Crackle (where it's been for years) was just above the news story saying "Now that Hulu had bought Seinfeld you can finally watch it online". Nice research team guys, nice
To be fair, something on Crackle might as well not exist because it's pretty much the worst streaming experience possible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

david_a posted:

To be fair, something on Crackle might as well not exist because it's pretty much the worst streaming experience possible.

Every now and then Crackle has a movie that's really good and not available elsewhere though. The PS4 app is totally fine so I check it every now and then and get surprised, like recently they had The Devil and Daniel Johnston which is a really amazing documentary. If it's still on Crackle everyone should watch it

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

precision posted:

Every now and then Crackle has a movie that's really good and not available elsewhere though. The PS4 app is totally fine so I check it every now and then and get surprised, like recently they had The Devil and Daniel Johnston which is a really amazing documentary. If it's still on Crackle everyone should watch it
Do they still shove commercials in algorithmically chosen (IE random) locations?

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I've been on a little bit of a WWI one kick and watched Our World War which was just okay for the most part. I really wished it had been a little better or maybe just longer. There are certain things about it I really liked, but it seems kind of light and really glosses over great swaths of the war to its detriment I feel. Although, there is a bit towards the end of the first episode that seems like such total bullshit, but nope it totally happened and they even have an audio recording of the gentleman it happened to at the very end of the episode. Spoiler if you're curious what I'm talking about, but don't feel like watching it: A man is ordered to stay alone on a Maxim to buy time for his retreating comrades, and after be wounded a couple times is shot in the head. He gets back up, partially dismantles the gun, and dumps it in a river as Germans swarm his position. Apparently the Germans realized he was only mostly dead, and he was taken to a p.o.w. hospital where he spent the rest of the war. He survived his injuries, was awarded a Victoria Cross and lived to be an old man. Good for him.

I also watched The First World War From Above. I rather enjoyed it, but again wish it was more in depth or just longer. The name may be a bit misleading, but it's not about dog-fighting in WWI, it's actually more about air reconnaissance footage. The images, the stories of what they show, and even what the areas look like now are all truly awesome, and I mean that in the traditional sense. At the very end they meet with a woman that never knew her parents since they were tortured and executed as spies by the Nazis when she an infant, and they show her footage they found of her father flying a survey of the front after the end of the First World War. It's a beautiful moment.

The BBC did a documentary in 1964 called The Great War, that I've heard great things about. Unfortunately, I don't think it's officially on any streaming service, but it's possible to find on youtube.

thedaian fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 30, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

thedaian posted:

The BBC did a documentary in 1964 called The Great Way, that I've heard great things about. Unfortunately, I don't think it's officially on any streaming service, but it's possible to find on youtube.

Cool thanks, I'll have to check that out. Seems exactly like what I was looking for.

I also watched The World's War: Forgotten Soldiers of the Empire which was pretty interesting. It's all about people from non-European countries that got pulled into the war, and you don't often hear much about them so a lot of it was completely new to me. As you might expect a lot of them were terribly mistreated and some of the units had 10 times the casualty rates as other front line units which is just insane. Lots of wonderful and horrible things in it.

And I started 14 - Diaries of the Great War which is just listed as Diaries of the Great War for some reason. Mix of archive footage and re-enactments that follows the journals of 14 different people that got caught up in the war. Pretty good from what I watched.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 30, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Subscribing to Hulu Plus is worth it anyway for getting access to 90% of the Criterion Collection

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I started watching Danger 5 thanks to this thread. Thank you for introducing me to the most insane show I've ever seen. It's amazing.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'm going to highly recommend a 1998 neo-noir called Break Up that's streaming on Netflix right now. It peters out towards the end, but it's superbly shot thriller that is very much made in the mold of New Hollywood films. (Which is fitting, because it stars Bridget Fonda.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The Crackle app on Xbox used to rule because the ads never worked. You were still stuck watching like, 10 Items or Less and DEBS though