Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

V. Illych L. posted:

yo sinnlos are you done with your sect-posting in the chat thread

'cos those posts are much more worthwhile than anything you could post itt

I have a half done Lutheran one and an almost finished St. Gertrude the Great post. I spent my actual free time on CK2 when I should have been writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Sinnlos posted:

Judas Iscariot was paid off by the Sanhedrin to betray Jesus.

Only according to a collection of storybooks that you like. It's entirely within the realm of possibility that he was executed simply for taking over John the Baptist's doomsday cult, after JtB made himself unpopular with the local king and got executed for it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Trent posted:

Thank you Jesus! I've been getting increasingly irritated as I read down the thread and no one said this. Multiple studies have shown that exposure to more different looking people during early childhood makes babies comfortable with more diverse people. Note why would a helpless infant have a drive to fear strangers and cry out when they are picked up by people that don't look like those they trust? Whelp, humans are racist everyone kill yourself.
Yeah, I was trying to get at that in an irritatingly Kyriecratic style basically. :v:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Sinnlos posted:

So when do humans naturally and instinctively discard with preferring the familiar (those of the same race) then?

When they have regular positive exposure to members of other races?

I mean, come on, babies go through a period where they are loving terrified of everyone who is not their parents. Most of them naturally overcome their aversion to loud noises, fear of animals, fear of machines, etc. and stuff as well (despite preferring their parents to all of these things as babies). "Exposure" is pretty much the normal method for overcoming fear of the benign but unfamiliar, a common baby emotion. Hell, it even works for overcoming fear of the hostile but unfamiliar, which is why people tend to be so much more afraid of rare dangers than common ones.

Actually, why don't you provide some evidence of inherent racism and post some studies about children raised by parents with different skin colors, because I'm not even sure I'm convinced. Did they end up preferring their own race or their parent's race? Encompassing aversion to the unfamiliar isn't really racism, even if it can have racist outcomes, and it is definitely something babies naturally start to grow out of in somewhere between 4 and 7 years old.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 29, 2015

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq4GMuYhevc

*sigh*

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sinnlos posted:

We all know that my stance is that humans are inherently bad. To expand, I would say that humans are more inherently self-interested, which I believe to be a negative quality. Luckily, that self interest allows for humans to establish mutually beneficial relationships, which leads to good. I know some of you believe that humans are neutral by default, and I have yet to see anyone claim that humans are inherently good. Do you mind expanding on these ideas?

So, based on this assumption you are making, God created us inherently bad? Is that what I'm getting from this baseless assumption?

Sinnlos posted:

Prove it. And the Bible is not a valid source for actual historical events :colbert:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hello Sailor posted:

Only according to a collection of storybooks that you like. It's entirely within the realm of possibility that he was executed simply for taking over John the Baptist's doomsday cult, after JtB made himself unpopular with the local king and got executed for it.

Nah being paid off is entirely in line with what we know about Roman Judea.

DEKH
Jan 4, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nah being paid off is entirely in line with what we know about Roman Judea.

Please don't pretend that there is only a single explanation for the circumstances of the historical Jesus' death. I sincerely doubt that you have special knowledge that can conclusively lay it at the feet of the Sanhedrin. There are multiple plausible theories and little evidence that corroborates a single theory.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
C'mon Sinnlos, post in the thread, don't PM me studies to try to prove babies are racist:

quote:

CommieGIR wrote on Apr 29, 2015 18:50:

quote:

Sinnlos wrote on Apr 29, 2015 01:38:
I believe you only clicked on one of the links in the article.

This one is about gender:
http://www.livescience.com/9054-imperfect-brain-cells-gender-biases.html

This one is about race:
http://www.livescience.com/14879-faces-races-alike.html

Here is the actual study:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-7687.2012.01138.x/abstract

Why PM me about this? If you feel this strongly about the inherent evil of humanity and that babies are racist, post it in the thread!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DEKH posted:

Please don't pretend that there is only a single explanation for the circumstances of the historical Jesus' death. I sincerely doubt that you have special knowledge that can conclusively lay it at the feet of the Sanhedrin. There are multiple plausible theories and little evidence that corroborates a single theory.

Yeah but flipping out about storybooks and then suggesting it was Jesus actually leading John the Baptist's particular cult behind it, well, that's a lot less in line with evidence we have in general.

Someone in the Roman empire getting paid off to give someone else up is a pretty common thing that happens constantly throughout history.

DEKH
Jan 4, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

C'mon Sinnlos, post in the thread, don't PM me studies to try to prove babies are racist:

Why PM me about this? If you feel this strongly about the inherent evil of humanity and that babies are racist, post it in the thread!
[/quote]

Yeah I also want to know which parent my biracial child is going to fear. Her hair is curly like her mother, but the color is from me. And her skin is fairly light like mine but she has the yellow undertones of her mother. Maybe she will fear both of us?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DEKH posted:

Yeah I also want to know which parent my biracial child is going to fear. Her hair is curly like her mother, but the color is from me. And her skin is fairly light like mine but she has the yellow undertones of her mother. Maybe she will fear both of us?
I think this falls under the heading of "tragic mulatto," where she will be unable to fully belong in the immutable categories of "one racial group largely invented a couple hundred years ago" and "another one, similarly" and will be driven to burlesque, laudanum and ruin.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Sinnlos posted:

Hey, what do you think of the theory that "Iscariot" is a transcluded "Sicarius"?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Nessus posted:

I think this falls under the heading of "tragic mulatto," where she will be unable to fully belong in the immutable categories of "one racial group largely invented a couple hundred years ago" and "another one, similarly" and will be driven to burlesque, laudanum and ruin.

To be driven to burlesque is truly a fate worse than death, and it is terrible that someone would inflict this on a sweet, innocent (but inherently evil) child.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

To be driven to burlesque is truly a fate worse than death, and it is terrible that someone would inflict this on a sweet, innocent (but inherently evil) child.
If only he could have resisted the dreadful sin of Miscegnation.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DEKH posted:

The best that can be said of a "historical" Jesus is "maybe he existed and if so was probably a rabbi of some sort". Everything else is shaky at best.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Sinnlos posted:

We all know that my stance is that humans are inherently bad. To expand, I would say that humans are more inherently self-interested, which I believe to be a negative quality. Luckily, that self interest allows for humans to establish mutually beneficial relationships, which leads to good. I know some of you believe that humans are neutral by default, and I have yet to see anyone claim that humans are inherently good. Do you mind expanding on these ideas?

I feel like I see arguments getting simplified into very black-and-white choices a lot from the religious and/or Christian side. There was your assertion that since we can't be certain of outcomes, we therefore know nothing about outcomes and should choose to help the man in danger every time. Now there's this: that every human is overall self-interested, and that quality is a bad (or from before, "evil") one.

Self-interest has evolutionary advantage of course, so I'd agree that it's an overall trait we share, but it's not so simple as: we all want to survive more than anything else, and to the detriment of others. You of course acknowledge this: we can come to mutually beneficial relationships via self-interest (which makes me wonder why you still view it as an evil). And hey, ask any solider and you'll find out there are other motivations stronger than self-preservation that can and do regularly supersede it. So while there might be an instinct toward self-preservation, it's not always the strongest, which I think is an important nuance.

Lastly, I think you need to define "bad", "neutral", and "good" before doling out prescriptions about what humans are overall. Do you use "good" to mean "following explicitly Christian morals"? Then no, at least 5 billion humans are not good overall, at least not consciously. But what about something more generalized, like "desiring happiness for your fellow man"? Then actually, yes, I'd wager is a clear minority that actually want others to suffer when they don't have to.

Who What Now posted:

The best that can be said of a "historical" Jesus is "maybe he existed and if so was probably a rabbi of some sort". Everything else is shaky at best.

I think it's more of a "probably" existed, and his crucifixion at the hands of the Roman government is a fact attested to as well as many historical specifics. I refer you to this post in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3556458#post416850870 especially the section under "Did Jesus really exist?" It's pretty well explained, and by a non-Christian to boot.

GAINING WEIGHT... fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 29, 2015

DEKH
Jan 4, 2014

Who What Now posted:

Exactly. The best we can do is say that a theory is plausible. The fact that one seems more plausible than another is meaningless in the context of no evidence.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

guys arguing against the historical jesus yields nothing except revealing yourselves to be profoundly ignorant about how little we know about most people from the classical period

we have much more information about jesus than we have on e.g. anaximander, but nobody really doubts that he was a guy who hung out talking philosophy a long-rear end time ago

historical jesus is 1) completely irrelevant to anything at hand and 2) says unpleasant things about people who bring it up in any sort of non-academic argument

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

I think it's more of a "probably" existed, and his crucifixion at the hands of the Roman government is a fact attested to as well as many historical specifics. I refer you to this post in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3556458#post416850870 especially the section under "Did Jesus really exist?" It's pretty well explained, and by a non-Christian to boot.

I'm well aware of a lot of the evidence, but a new book has cast a lot of it into greater doubt, at least for me.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
The idea of Jesus first existing as a metaphorical or spiritual being
doesn't really jive with the historical trend of Jesus becoming more 'supernatural' over time. Could you summarize the book's arguments a bit?

e: Other books written by the same author include, Sense and Goodness Without God and Why I Am Not A Christian.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 30, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

The idea of Jesus first existing as a metaphorical or spiritual being
doesn't really jive with the historical trend of Jesus becoming more 'supernatural' over time. Could you summarize the book's arguments a bit?

A mythos surrounding a character exploited for political power games is a hell of a thing.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Who What Now posted:

I'm well aware of a lot of the evidence, but a new book has cast a lot of it into greater doubt, at least for me.

But not for the academy, I think, a large part of which has no dog in the fight at all.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

Man that's one unnecessarily expensive book, practically textbook level.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

A mythos surrounding a character exploited for political power games is a hell of a thing.

No doubt, but I want to know evidence there is that this character was wholly invented instead of the more likely case that he was mythologized in a series of classical roman biographies.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
There are many 'inconvenient' details given about Jesus' past- particularly in the earliest sources, that suggest he was not invented outright. His low class birth and is an example of an embarrassing detail that was included in the book of Mark and then rectified in the later books. It is far more likely that a messiah character created whole cloth from the Jewish sacred texts would be have been born a priest with a genealogical connection to David already established.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 30, 2015

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
My personal favorite theory is that he started off as an allegorical tale, perhaps based loosely on a real person, than then was interpreted literally. Not intentionally invented but created through a long game of telephone. Like if someone made a story about Emperor Norton to make a point about power, which people later got obsessed about.

Sinnlos posted:

The problem is what standard of Good and Bad you have, and why you have those standards. If you have some standard that you think humans fail at, then why do you have those standards? What's the point?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

rudatron posted:

My personal favorite theory is that he started off as an allegorical tale, perhaps based loosely on a real person, than then was interpreted literally. Not intentionally invented but created through a long game of telephone. Like if someone made a story about Emperor Norton to make a point about power, which people later got obsessed about.

That's not really valid though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

There are many 'inconvenient' details given about Jesus' past- particularly in the earliest sources, that suggest he was not invented outright. His low class birth and is an example of an embarrassing detail that was included in the book of Mark and then rectified in the later books. It is far more likely that a messiah character created whole cloth from the Jewish sacred texts would be have been born a priest with a genealogical connection to David already established.

I mean, fine, I can easily accept that he was a person. That doesn't exactly make him the son of god or even that his crucifixion had any impact upon humanities 'sins' (other than making us feel better about them ourselves)

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Sinnlos posted:

I would also like to state that LookingGodInTheEye, you do indeed sound insane.
Yeah. I'm not a practicing Christian, but I do like, as a thought experiment, to see if I can find some kind of logical basis to the Bible and Christianity and try to relate my understanding of the world, modern science, and philosophy with the Bible, which can sometimes lead to strenuous mental gymnastics as you can see in my last post.
I'm still fascinated by BrandorKP's assertion some time ago that Nietzsche was a prophet, but I guess he's crazy too.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, fine, I can easily accept that he was a person. That doesn't exactly make him the son of god or even that his crucifixion had any impact upon humanities 'sins' (other than making us feel better about them ourselves)

Well no, of course not, and I totally agree that the most likely explanation for everything was simply that a particularly charismatic Jewish teacher who was killed by the Roman authorities was exaggerated over time into the Messianic figure we know today, and that really, there is no God or divine being at all.

But more than anything I want to be fair, open minded, and objective, which includes at the very least conceding that the best explanation includes the fact that Jesus the man really did exist, divine or not. I think too often we on the non-religious side are so intent on finding the holes in the other side's argument that we go beyond reasonable objection. Sure, we don't have conclusive evidence of his existence, but that doesn't mean his nonexistence is the most likely story.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

It is a long shot that I choose to believe in.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
How many people -- if you created a button that would blow up the world, how many people would press it?

We could set up a button that sets off nuclear war, and then we could put it in a public place and see how long it takes before somebody presses it. How long do you think it would be? I think there'd be a huge crowd waiting for them to make it available. People would stampede over each other for the honor of pressing it.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Who What Now posted:

Richard Carrier is to Jesus as Michael Behe is to evolution. Both buck the mainstream consensus of experts in those respective fields, can't get published in reputable journals, and cater to laypeople who want to believe the argument they're selling. Carrier is a crank and you should take anything he writes with a huge grain of salt.

Kyrie eleison posted:

How many people -- if you created a button that would blow up the world, how many people would press it?

We could set up a button that sets off nuclear war, and then we could put it in a public place and see how long it takes before somebody presses it. How long do you think it would be? I think there'd be a huge crowd waiting for them to make it available. People would stampede over each other for the honor of pressing it.

Prove that. Then give us a breakdown of how many of them are religious fanatics. Otherwise, stop using this thread as soapbox for projecting your horrid little personal fantasies onto sane people.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 30, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kyrie eleison posted:

If you had that button, what would you do?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Hello Sailor posted:

Prove that. Then give us a breakdown of how many of them are religious fanatics.

I'm thinking of how to prove it. Like, aside for actually doing it, which would be awesome, but, alternatively we could create a social experiment of sorts. Like, some people show up to do a study and the scientist is like, "so, uh, this button... *holds up button* this button destroys the world. Nukes everywhere. So don't press it"

And then he places it on the desk in front of you and says, "uh, I'll be right back, I gotta see about a thing." and walks out the door. And you just sit there looking at the button. And then you realize they've positioned some other items around the room, like... a copy of Schindler's List, and a Pinkie Pie doll.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Probably not a good test if the subjects have every reason to believe that it's not true.

The reason the electric shock experiments worked so well is because people actually believed the button was doing what they were told it would do.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Kyrie eleison posted:

No, but, see, this one time, I saw the Dark Knight, and they did the thing where the boats have a button to blow up the other boat, but neither boat pushes it. QED.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Kyrie eleison posted:

I'm thinking of how to prove it.

Finding sources on humanity's inherent evil that come from some sort of accredited institution would be a start. I'm sure there's dozens. Knock yourself out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

No, but, see, this one time, I saw the Dark Knight, and they did the thing where the boats have a button to blow up the other boat, but neither boat pushes it. QED.

Yeah but the Joker was also an insane mass murderer so there was really no reason to believe anything he said. Pressing the button could have just as easily blown up my own ship, or it might be rigged to explode regardless and it's just a mind game.

• Locked thread