Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

That movie has some of the best casting I've ever seen. Every actor is phenomenal.

Except, puzzlingly, the actor won an Oscar for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Except, puzzlingly, the actor won an Oscar for it.

Kim Basinger? Is it just me or are her performances oddly...samey. Like, not typecasting as such, but she just seems to play everything similarly.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
She's not a very good actress.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If you have a Roku device you absolutely have to add the Shout Factory channel. It's free (but has commercials during movies) and is loaded with great cult and art films. They just added the entire John Cassavetes box set from Criterion, and as of last month at least had almost all of Werner Herzog's less mainstream films (all his Kinski collaborations, early documentaries, etc.). Lots of odd-ball Criterion flicks too, like I just watched Quadrophenia last night and it looked and sounded great. I can't believe it's all free.

edit: I think you can browse and even watch the films here: http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/ Check out all the flicks in their art house section, it's amazing! http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/playlists/55429e6069702d070af90300

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 3, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I just looked that up and :stare:

Maybe it's best I don't rewatch that movie anytime soon.

those parts of the movie are very much uncomfortable on purpose.

re: LA Confidental, LA Confidential is a perfect movie.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

mod sassinator posted:

If you have a Roku device you absolutely have to add the Shout Factory channel. It's free (but has commercials during movies) and is loaded with great cult and art films. They just added the entire John Cassavetes box set from Criterion, and as of last month at least had almost all of Werner Herzog's less mainstream films (all his Kinski collaborations, early documentaries, etc.). Lots of odd-ball Criterion flicks too, like I just watched Quadrophenia last night and it looked and sounded great. I can't believe it's all free.

edit: I think you can browse and even watch the films here: http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/ Check out all the flicks in their art house section, it's amazing! http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/playlists/55429e6069702d070af90300

Wow, thank you for this! A lot of Herzog's early stuff is available on YouTube, but you can't argue with the quality of what's available here. Also have wanted to check out some non-Faces (the movie, not the distribution company) Cassavetes for years.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really enjoy the Vice doc series on HBO and would like any recommendations along the same lines that are available on Netflix or Hulu. Just like, world news stuff/environmental/cultural. Maybe things you aren't likely to hear much about in detail through major news outlets. I know there's a lot of options out there but any recommendations would be appreciated.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

I really enjoy the Vice doc series on HBO and would like any recommendations along the same lines that are available on Netflix or Hulu. Just like, world news stuff/environmental/cultural. Maybe things you aren't likely to hear much about in detail through major news outlets. I know there's a lot of options out there but any recommendations would be appreciated.

I hate Anthony Bourdain, but his stuff on Netflix (there's two or three different shows) is pretty similar on tone to Vice. Also Departures, and some of the drug documentaries like Drugs Inc and Breaking the Taboo (The Union and it's successor/sequel Culture High also come to mind, but they both sort of fall apart toward the end). I haven't seen Bulletproof Salesman, about the international and dealer, but that also might be what you're looking for.

The Animatrix is up too, relive the anime you forced yourself to watch because you thought it would give you deeper insight into Revolutions.

edit: this is all Netflix

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 3, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

precision posted:

Honestly the "Like a Virgin" part was more unnerving, but also hilarious.

I dunno, the innuendos which come with the Mister President song and routine, are extremely blatant. Lots of 12 year old girls danced around singing Madonna songs too their parents' horror, but not very many of them performed strip routines back then.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
'No tears for the dead' isn't as good as 'The man from nowhere'.
It's worse than 'Safe', so Statham fans beware.

And no one ate Kimchi.

verdigris murder fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 3, 2015

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Anything on Netflix similar to the classic Hammer Horror movies?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I just watched a new found footage thing called The Mirror. It has terrible reviews on Netflix. There's no real plot (three friends by a 'haunted' mirror on eBay to enter a paranormal competition to win a million dollars, they film itt). Acting is decent, pretty well directed and the editing is top drawer.

I loved it. Maybe helped that I watched it in a pitch black and silent room late at night, but it definitely creeped me out.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

Anything on Netflix similar to the classic Hammer Horror movies?

There's The Quiet Ones, which is made by Hammer Films, and was released last year to very bad reviews.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I just watched a new found footage thing called The Mirror. It has terrible reviews on Netflix. There's no real plot (three friends by a 'haunted' mirror on eBay to enter a paranormal competition to win a million dollars, they film itt). Acting is decent, pretty well directed and the editing is top drawer.

I loved it. Maybe helped that I watched it in a pitch black and silent room late at night, but it definitely creeped me out.

Nice. I was just thinking about checking that out. That sounds like the type of medocre horror film I enjoy (or maybe just have a high tolerance for)

That Dock Ellis documentary sounds fun on paper but I don't know how anyone could stretch that (albeit amazing) story out into a 1:40:00 film.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Counterpoint, I thought it was a tedious and terrible waste of my time, and I usually am a sucker for terrible found footage movies. This one was just really bad.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea why I've never been able to get into LA Confidential but that movie doesn't do a thing for me. I'm not saying it's bad but I've watched it twice and both times I haven't been able to remember a single thing about it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I have no idea why I've never been able to get into LA Confidential but that movie doesn't do a thing for me. I'm not saying it's bad but I've watched it twice and both times I haven't been able to remember a single thing about it.

there's a lot i love about it (the cinematography, the editing, the writing, the music), but really what it comes down to for me is the acting. it's got an absolutely insane cast and it's near career best work for a lot of them.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

That's definitely true for Russel Crowe, I find his performances to be a bit flat most of the time but he's super intense and believable in LA Confidential.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
To the people who recommended Runaway Train, thanks - that was a good movie. If I hallucinated everyone recommending it and nobody actually recommended it, then I can go ahead and recommend it. It's got a loving train, that's for sure.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I'm about 5 minutes into The Last Waltz (just after the opening credits sequence) and the scene is Martin Scorsese talking to a band member and there's no audible sound. Is this intentional?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I finally got around to watching Noah and it was pretty good as a whole but the third act (after the creation story while they're still on the Ark) just kind of drags. Overall it's a very religious film and captures that theme I know about Man trying to interpret and do God's work.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Been on an ocean documentary kick lately and found out that Netflix has like almost as many ocean docs as it does Hitler/Nazi poo poo. Last night I watched the Ocean Giants episode about whales, which was pretty interesting, even though I don't really care about whales. I also watched a bit of the Life documentary and really enjoyed that.

There's a Disney doc on bears - I think it's literally called Bears lol - and that's also enjoyable esp if you are stoned off your rear end.

I love me that deep sea poo poo though. Show me the sea aliens.

hemale in pain posted:

The Canal was a very good horror movie but it really let it self down with the dumb ending. One day a horror movie might figure out that TWIST! endings where all the characters die aren't scary. It also killed the idea that the dude was just going crazy, and instead I'm left wondering if evil spirits convinced the kid to kill himself with like 10 seconds of whispering or if they possessed him like the father was

I wasn't really impressed by this either. Netflix kept recommending it to me and I finally watched it, and when the big twist hit, I was like "oh". Not very exciting.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 4, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Show me the sea aliens.
_________/

(for whatever reason this cracked me up)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Planet Earth just got added, there's an Ocean episode in there somewhere.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

morestuff posted:

Planet Earth just got added, there's an Ocean episode in there somewhere.

Planet Earth owns.

That Works posted:

Show me the sea aliens.
_________/

(for whatever reason this cracked me up)

uhhhm,, what's so funny about this, i want to see them, bring them to me

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

osietra posted:

'No tears for the dead' isn't as good as 'The man from nowhere'.
It's worse than 'Safe', so Statham fans beware.

And no one ate Kimchi.

This is a very accurate ranking of these three similar films. The Man From Nowhere is by far the best of the bunch. It has the slowest buildup but the best payoff. Safe is very entertaining, especially if you like Statham, and the action is pretty consistent throughout(you could argue that leads to an exhausting pace that doesn't really work in the movie's favor). No Tears For the Dead doesn't have action on the same level as the other two, and the characters aren't really memorable at all. It is mildly entertaining though, and it sticks to the pattern established by the others that came before it, so if you like the "retired special-ops genius is forced back into the game to save an innocent" sub-genre than its worth a shot.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

cat doter posted:

That's definitely true for Russel Crowe, I find his performances to be a bit flat most of the time but he's super intense and believable in LA Confidential.

Absolutely. This and Noah are the only things I've ever liked him in. Well, and Proof (1991). The interrogation scene is absolutely epic for him. That slow realization and buildup of uncontrollable rage... still gives me goosebumps.

The most amazing thing about LA Confidential is that it lost best picture to loving Titanic. I remember spring of 1998 visiting a movie buff friend of mine, who was like "So did you see LA confidential?" And I was like "No I never heard of it". And he laughed and said "Yeah we're going to see that." And we went and saw it. And as the credits rolled I realized for the first time that the Academy Awards have their head up their rear end. And I don't even hate Titanic, it's just that LA confidential is a better film in any metric you choose except budget overruns.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
With the oscars, you just have to remember to replace the word "best" with "most". "Most acting", "most sound design".

If you do that, then Titanic's win makes a lot of sense.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

What are some good horror movies on Netflix? I watched the Taking of Deborah Logan and loved it, and I'd love to see more like it. I'd prefer not a lot of gore or jumpscares.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Titanic swept the boards because it was the kind of big old times Hollywood epic that old Oscar voters want there to be more of, it got good reviews and was a commercial hit.

It was like Braveheart and Ben Hur had a baby.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Sociopastry posted:

What are some good horror movies on Netflix? I watched the Taking of Deborah Logan and loved it, and I'd love to see more like it. I'd prefer not a lot of gore or jumpscares.

The Babadook is very good for that kind of stuff.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sociopastry posted:

Housebound is slightly comedic but still a legitimate horror film. I recommend it. The Babadook is also supposed to be amazing, but I haven't watched it.

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears

NESguerilla posted:

HBO's America Undercover stuff is a lot alike. There are only a few of them available on youtube though. Looks like Vice will have it's own channel soon. http://qz.com/397499/h2-historys-abomination-of-a-spinoff-channel-will-be-replaced-by-vice/

cstang fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 5, 2015

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Sociopastry posted:

The Babadook, like others said, is a solid modern choice. There are also some stone-cold classics like The Omen and The Exorcist that are available. If you can stand the idea of watching a Polanski film, Rosemary's Baby is phenomenal.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Babadook, like others said, is a solid modern choice. There are also some stone-cold classics like The Omen and The Exorcist that are available. If you can stand the idea of watching a Polanski film, Rosemary's Baby is phenomenal.

Wait, The Omen and The Exorcist are on Netflix and I didn't know about it? Neat.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

The Babadook is great, I quite like how it leans heavily on metaphor and symbolism, not a lot of horror does these days. Also try to remember that the kid is SUPPOSED to be an intolerable shithead.

LloydDobler posted:

Absolutely. This and Noah are the only things I've ever liked him in. Well, and Proof (1991). The interrogation scene is absolutely epic for him. That slow realization and buildup of uncontrollable rage... still gives me goosebumps.

The most amazing thing about LA Confidential is that it lost best picture to loving Titanic. I remember spring of 1998 visiting a movie buff friend of mine, who was like "So did you see LA confidential?" And I was like "No I never heard of it". And he laughed and said "Yeah we're going to see that." And we went and saw it. And as the credits rolled I realized for the first time that the Academy Awards have their head up their rear end. And I don't even hate Titanic, it's just that LA confidential is a better film in any metric you choose except budget overruns.

I can't quite remember the first time I thought the academy were full of poo poo, I remember being pretty pissed Crash won and I was probably about 17 when that came out I think.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
1995 best picture.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

cat doter posted:

The Babadook is great, I quite like how it leans heavily on metaphor and symbolism, not a lot of horror does these days. Also try to remember that the kid is SUPPOSED to be an intolerable shithead.

I can't quite remember the first time I thought the academy were full of poo poo, I remember being pretty pissed Crash won and I was probably about 17 when that came out I think.

Someone once told me a theory about the oscars, that the people who vote are sent DVDs and they sometimes watch them while they're doing other stuff, so films that lose nothing by being on a small screen do better than they should. Obviously doesn't apply 100% of the time but still. English Patient, anyone?

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I finally watched Harold and Maude for the first time thanks to Netflix suggesting it. It's just a delight of a movie. Morbid, hilarious, sweet, slightly sad, yet oddly light and uplifting given the subject matter. I'm kind of shocked that it didn't turn Bud Court into a bigger star. He's the best kind of peculiar. Ruth Gordon is amazing too.

e: oh and Cat Stevens soundtrack was a big bonus for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Oh hey, Wet Hot American Summer got added for May. Everyone go watch it so you're prepared for the series next month!

Also Big Trouble in Little China got added back, which everyone has probably already seen but if you haven't, check it out.