Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Azran posted:

I've heard that there will be 10 perks in the final release of the game, that made me really upset. If Tripwire were to add new perks, just 1 or maximum of 2. 10 perks would be really confusing. they way I play killing floor is, that I see what perks the players have and what perk is required, for example: I see 2 commandos, 1 sharpshooter , 1 firebug, one demolitions dude, so I need to be the medic. that's how I usually play KF. but having 10 perks I believe would turn this game into some RPG'ish game tbh. 10 perks would be really abnormal to have in KF2.

What do you guys think? is 10 perks a good idea?

It's like TF2. you got attack / defense / support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Grapplejack posted:

It's like TF2. you got attack / defense / support.

No one saw the thing in the spoiler :( Next time I won't even provide the source!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Azran posted:

No one saw the thing in the spoiler :( Next time I won't even provide the source!

Enough people has crossposted terrible ideas they've posted on the forums that i can't even tell anymore :smith:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The "made me really upset" part of the quote is obviously silly, but people are already complaining about zerks or commandos falling out of the min-max optimization required(?) for suicidal or HoE, so with every new class-"perk" added or ability-"perk" re-balance that feeling is likely to ramp up as people figure that stuff out.

Not that i think some having some fun-classes around for lower difficulties is a tremendous problem, with this being a non-competitive coop game. That's basically how i played Demolition in KF1

"Solving" coop games for the one true class/loadout always just kinda makes them feel stale for me.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 6, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

The "made me really upset" part of the quote is obviously silly, but people are already complaining about zerks or commandos falling out of the min-max optimization required(?) for suicidal or HoE, so with every new class-"perk" added or ability-"perk" re-balance that feeling is likely to ramp up as people figure that stuff out.

Not that i think some having some fun-classes around for lower difficulties is a tremendous problem, with this being a non-competitive coop game. That's basically how i played Demolition in KF1

"Solving" coop games for the one true class/loadout always just kinda makes them feel stale for me.

The "solving" issue is really just a product of inadequate balancing, though. In an ideal world, all perks would be made equally viable through their respective strengths and weaknesses, such that there would be no clear optimal arrangement of perks and skills. It's not really reasonable to expect that ideal to be totally realized, but it would be a nice thing to strive toward, and part of that means having perks that basically do what you expect them to be able to do, without being able to do almost everything. I don't play much Commando, so I won't comment on them, but as far as Zerking is concerned, this is a pretty evident issue. It's not that they're not viable, because they are. The issue is that other perks can zerk better than the actual Zerks can, without really suffering in a meaningful way. I imagine the case is largely the same with Commando.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RoadCrewWorker posted:

For some reason I like Commando overall, I never gave them the time of day in KF1 but in this game I really like them. Probably because I feel more comfortable with the iron sights and hipfireing in KF2 that I could turn off the crosshair (Not that I will :downs) and manage better than I would in KF1. Honestly every class right now is in the same boat as the commando for "I can't magdump a wildly failing scrake/pound/hans as well as a support's AA12 can" When it comes to murdering zeds without the ability to land nothing but rapid headshots on a pissed off and flailing about target. Anything that isn't a Scrake, Pound, of Hans can be readily dealt with (provided those sirens are not hiding behind a fat rear end you don't want to aggro yet again :argh:) and right now, you are THE class for popping skulls off husks harassing people on the opposite side of the map or large room.

As much fun mulching a while blob of zeds with one click of the boomstick is, on lower difficulties when I decide "You know what? I'll wait until I can kill at least TWO trash zeds before taking any shots with a shotgun" all proper fire dicipline like, that's a lot of dead air time not firing my shotgun in early waves as commandos and medics pick off skulls while I'm waiting for the trash to get close enough and be conveniently lined up. Unless I start deliberately rushing head first at enemies just to make sure I'm getting more hits and kills in personally, which is a good way to get a face full of teleporting bloat in your face.

I can agree Zerkers need some work because they feel like they have the most effort and risk for their end results. Okay do I want to make a half dozen perfect arced swings though the heads of swarm of trash zeds, while taking chip damage from stuff clawing at my ankles... Or do I want to push alt fire and vaporize everything bit of trash feet in front of me without putting myself at risk via boomstick? Or at higher difficulties when a Husk will just laugh at you and set your sorry rear end on fire for getting close (yeah I know, nailguns. but still)

Berserker is super loving fun though and the only reason I stay away from it is I'm garbage at parry so know I'd be more of a liability than anything when it comes to dealing with strakes etc past normal.

EDIT: The only reason I don't play Medic is because I don't want the expectations of "It's your job to heal us" and I like the weapons on the other perks more. I know that Medic in KF means loving badass who happens to be able to heal better, but the average gamer mindset will get real pissy if you don't drop everything to chase them into a separate room upstairs to heal them and in fact, expect them to push the Q button every so often while stay in the thick of things healing people who actually stuck around to fight.

For some comparisons, somehow I'm level 5 Medic despite only playing it through a few solo test rounds, while I have a level 11 commando and leve 10 support. This is from my time needling people (usually medics) or darting people in wave 7 or the hans fight. I like helping out but I hate that being my main expectation, basically.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 6, 2015

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Oh yeah, dont get me wrong - i was actually agreeing with the intent behind the post in that a single class trivializing everything or rendering other classes superfluous would be unfortunate and i hope they balance to make varied playstyles viable. The re playability of the game heavily depends on it.

Mark David Chapman
Jul 25, 2011
Is there a way to cancel map downloads? Having to wait to download a map you don't want to play blows.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Stepped up from Hard to Suicidal tonight, now everything is so drat fast! That being said we did pretty well until we got separated on a late wave and I got stranded alone with a mess of scrakes, Medics just can't pump out enough damage to deal effectively.

That being said, going from 4 to 6 players was the really devastating change. The HP increase for zeds threw off the team's rhythm and we just got buried under stuff we were expecting to be able to handle. It makes sense balance-wise but still a pain in round 7/10, even personally dumping 2k into the new joins didn't equalize things.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Chard posted:

Stepped up from Hard to Suicidal tonight, now everything is so drat fast! That being said we did pretty well until we got separated on a late wave and I got stranded alone with a mess of scrakes, Medics just can't pump out enough damage to deal effectively.

That being said, going from 4 to 6 players was the really devastating change. The HP increase for zeds threw off the team's rhythm and we just got buried under stuff we were expecting to be able to handle. It makes sense balance-wise but still a pain in round 7/10, even personally dumping 2k into the new joins didn't equalize things.

I've noticed that getting more players can really gently caress you over. Unless all of the new guys are Supports with AA-12s (not happening), the extra HP Scrakes and FPs can easily be too much for your team to compensate for.

Also, I really wish that the XP gained from healing people was tripled. It gives you way too little for doing the most important thing a Medic can do. It's a bit silly that going on a Cyst head-popping spree with the Medic SMG gets you way more XP than bailing your team out of an FP assault gone wrong with Medic Grenades or saving your Berzerker's rear end by healing him from 10 to 100 quickly.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 6, 2015

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I think that's the first time I've seen the scrake clearly without the faceplate. Usually when that thing blows off the scrake loses a bit more than just that.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Slybo posted:

Nice.
That looks WAY better than the half-assed remake I tried to play the other day.

For real. The one I played was garbage because the whole map was pitch black by wave 3

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Roberto_Silencio posted:

Or all four limbs are blades, like those things from The Suffering. :v:

That's the same look as the holiday clots from KF1.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr. Unlucky posted:

he got the layout and general look right but its missing the atmosphere, there's no green haze of fog which pretty much made that map imo

its way too clean, its like a movie set or something. it's arranged messy, not actual messy.

:crossarms:

quote:

Here are some screenshots of the first floor. We might be adding a slight "fog" because the first map also seemed to have that.
Keep in mind that this is early WIP.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Mindblast posted:

I think that's the first time I've seen the scrake clearly without the faceplate. Usually when that thing blows off the scrake loses a bit more than just that.

I'm gonna have to give a shout-out to ripping a scrake's face clean off with the hunting shotgun

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Ramsus posted:

For real. The one I played was garbage because the whole map was pitch black by wave 3

Look at it this way: Nightvision is finally useful!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

closeted republican posted:

Also, I really wish that the XP gained from healing people was tripled.

along these lines, I think support should get a little xp every time someone grabs ammo off them via supplier. Motivates the support to take it and, more importantly, make sure their teammates know about it. Not a ton of xp, but a little. 25 per grab? I dunno.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

it looks like he told a funny joke and is waiting for people to laugh

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Ramsus posted:

I think I played this one too and for some reason every single loving white light in the level is destructible, so as soon as I figured this out I ran around the map and blew out every light with a pistol and the only thing left was the glow of the trader pods and the red emergency lights. It was spooky as heck

we still made it to hans because it was normal

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I think the stock maps could stand to have more destructible lighting and less magical invulnerable glowsticks scattered around, but that's because fighting zeds in the dark is cool as hell.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I think the only map that I use the flashlight on is the subway of Burning Paris.

Compare that to KF1, where even Farm needed it sometimes

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Can anyone give me some tips on what to do as a Berzerker against Hans? It's my most played class, and I feel like I can handle just about anything on the waves. People compliment me regularly for my handling of Scrakes and Pounds.

Yet on Hans I feel like aside from getting some long range damage with whatever additional weapon I buy, shooting the healing pistol on grab phase, and trying to lay out 8-12 solid parries over the course of the fight when he does his clawing frenzy attack thing, I don't really do much. I usually roll Pulverizer and either Nailgun or an off-spec ranged weapon like a Flamethrower. I feel like I must absolutely be below other players on the damage spectrum, and I don't feel like I can actually tank him for any considerable amount of time I have to just parry him in small bursts and run away immediately (usually mistiming even one of these parlays gets me killed).

Anyone have a different game plan for Zerker on boss that works well for them? Let me know I'd really appreciate it.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Any news on when the first content update might be hitting? I sort of burned myself out on the beta and haven't had it in me to just keep doing the same stuff with all my perks reset.

(I am aware it is only 2 weeks into early access.)

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Libertine posted:

Can anyone give me some tips on what to do as a Berzerker against Hans? It's my most played class, and I feel like I can handle just about anything on the waves. People compliment me regularly for my handling of Scrakes and Pounds.

Switch to an AA-12 and a medic pistol. Don't get fancy, just do what works. If basically everyone is rolling an AA-12, you can just dump damage on him and push him right through each of his phases with minimal loving around.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Libertine posted:

Yet on Hans I feel like aside from getting some long range damage with whatever additional weapon I buy, shooting the healing pistol on grab phase, and trying to lay out 8-12 solid parries over the course of the fight when he does his clawing frenzy attack thing, I don't really do much. I usually roll Pulverizer and either Nailgun or an off-spec ranged weapon like a Flamethrower. I feel like I must absolutely be below other players on the damage spectrum, and I don't feel like I can actually tank him for any considerable amount of time I have to just parry him in small bursts and run away immediately (usually mistiming even one of these parlays gets me killed).

Anyone have a different game plan for Zerker on boss that works well for them? Let me know I'd really appreciate it.

I've had some luck completely dropping the pulverizer for the Eviscerator for Hans. As you've mentioned, parrying him is pretty pointless, and if you really need to you could use the lawnmower blade or the crovel for the job since you aren't going to get any hammer swings in while parrying him anyway. The saw shots deal a ton of damage and can even stun Hans on occasion, but the real trick is that the Eviscerator's melee attack (hold down your Ironsights button) outdamages even an AA-12 mag dump. If Hans is throwing grenades or using his SMGs on another player, you can get behind him with the Eviscerator and basically auto-progress to the next phase by holding it to his back for a couple seconds.

The main trick is to never shoot all of your saw blades if you can help it, but feel free to dump all your gas on the melee attack. Every ammo pack you pick up completely fills the Eviscerator's gas 100%, even the ammo you get from a Support with Supplier. The saw shots can sometimes stun Hans with a headshot, so spam saws at him if he focuses on you so you can try to get away.

Now I've never actually fought Hans above Hard difficulty so I don't know how viable getting behind him to destroy him with the Eviscerator is on higher difficulties, but I expect if you have a medic watching you and Hans is distracted by the Support(s), it should still be generally doable. Just know that if he turns on you, as always, you need to run ASAP.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
What are the exact times that Hans has damage resistance? I know (now) that he's practically invincible when chasing somebody and while draining them, but does he become vulnerable right afterwards, or does he have to do his little reloading animation first?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I'll try Shovel/Saw build and Melee Weapon/AA-12 build my next few games and see what I can do. Thanks for the tips guys.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

HellCopter posted:

What are the exact times that Hans has damage resistance? I know (now) that he's practically invincible when chasing somebody and while draining them, but does he become vulnerable right afterwards, or does he have to do his little reloading animation first?

I believe his DR kicks in every time he changes colors and continues until he finishes a grab/drain.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Dark levels are great, and I hope someone puts out modified stock maps with all destructible lighting (or that Tripwire makes that change themselves).

Maybe there should be an 'indestructible lights' mutator, turned off by default?

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
^^dark maps on HOE are terrible, you need the flashlight all the time because everything sprints into your face

Sucks rear end that the majority of HOE servers with actual players are perk training and test maps. Suicidal is too easy for a leveled team, not very exciting to play.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ramsus posted:

Suicidal is too easy for a leveled team, not very exciting to play.

Look at dis guy

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Ramsus posted:

Suicidal is too easy for a leveled team, not very exciting to play.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Look at dis guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZa_5k937hg

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Does anyone have video of the garage map? I'd like to see how pitch black it gets.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Has anything come out regarding what maps might be (officially) back for KF2? Farm, Wyre, and Bedlam would all be cool.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I loved Wyre, probably my favorite KF1 map. It would look REALLY awesome in KF2, and the actual working hitboxes will make the slopes less annoying.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I just want Icebreaker because killing zeds on a big-rear end boat during a thunderstorm is cool as hell

also all the christmas maps

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Libertine posted:

I'll try Shovel/Saw build and Melee Weapon/AA-12 build my next few games and see what I can do. Thanks for the tips guys.

My only concern for using the Eviscerator above Hard is that you could end up in a pretty nasty position if you're trying to saw Hans and he does something like spam gas grenades on his feet that you don't notice, or if he spams grenades, again at his feet, and then immediately grabs you. The AA-12 requires you to be close, sure, but you don't have to be literally rubbing your face on Hans, so you can more easily see his telegraphs. I suppose it's probably reasonably viable, though.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Most of those maps have landscape in them (Wyre, Farm, Ganja) and the KF2 fork of UDK doesn't have a working landscape tool (yet) so you have to create a landscape in another modeling tool, turn it into a static mesh, and then import it into the game. That process is a gigantic pain in the rear end, so I understand why a lot of the current maps are pretty boxy.

The map I'm working on currently steals a ton of assets from the lab and I'm hoping to figure out enough kismet to make it scripted. The idea is this: whole level has normal lighting and open doors when the trader is available. When the wave starts the normal lights turn off and the levels is only illuminated by red/orange emergency. The intent isn't that it will be hard to see, I just want it to look different when you're blasting zeds. On top of that, a handful of doors will close and seal so the flow of the level will change. The doors won't open again until the trader returns.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Don't maps usually start out as undetailed block versions to test the flow and layout and do the actual detailing and polishing much later after a bunch of playtests to see if there are just broken/horrible spots in the map? Wonder how feasible that approach is when you're mostly combining a set of fixed assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Don't maps usually start out as undetailed block versions to test the flow and layout and do the actual detailing and polishing much later after a bunch of playtests to see if there are just broken/horrible spots in the map? Wonder how feasible that approach is when you're mostly combining a set of fixed assets.

Usually when you're making maps, you use pre-existing props you know you're going to use and undetailed shapes for props that you need to make and playtest like that, then modify both to fit the map.