Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zev
Apr 3, 2009
These people need us to tell them how they can help. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

we should organize the sanders campaign through tinder

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

jarofpiss posted:

my discussions irl have gone the direction of if you agree with this dude and would like to see him in the white house, who gives a poo poo about the odds. it's not like these people are presenting some sort of alternative to voting for him in the primary (other than not doing anything at all i guess). it's literally a "there's no chance he wins so what's the point" kind of attitude and i'm focusing on rallying them around there being literally no downside to pulling for him.

if sanders doesn't take the primary and become potus it doesn't make us mistaken for supporting and voting for him so gently caress the cynicism.

nonvoters on the left are morons, plain and simple. they're doing nothing to fix anything, and they have no plans to change that. they literally think that not voting is the best thing they can do. as if the democratic party will look at their not-having-voted and think "gosh, if only we could've reached out to that thoughtful young man. well we better change our corrupt ways since it hurts our feelings so much when cool customers like him don't vote"! basically i regard these people as apolitical, and too uninformed about political issues to ever get into it. their understanding of politics is about as deep as the lyrics in "Evil Empire" by Rage Against the Machine.

you can sort those people out from the really disillusioned people who actually know what they're talking about because the latter, when given a candidate who actually meets 95% of their goalposts, are willing to fight for that candidate

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

so we could design and get our own merch together? are there regulations about donations raised through that kind of thing? like would it count toward my personal contribution or are there limits or anything?

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Robert from New York, lady keeps interrupting him and he doesn't understand what she is saying. Wants stuff to make fliers so we can get this revolution going.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Zev posted:

Robert from New York, lady keeps interrupting him and he doesn't understand what she is saying. Wants stuff to make fliers so we can get this revolution going.

Tell him all you need to make fliers is some paper and a printer/copier

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

jarofpiss posted:

so we could design and get our own merch together? are there regulations about donations raised through that kind of thing? like would it count toward my personal contribution or are there limits or anything?

if you ran into actual trouble it would just be positive press for the bernie sanders campaign for your grass roots merch

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
SC campaign is first southern primary. O'mally and Bernie have visited. Wants other local states to pitch in to help out with the primaries.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Can someone sell literal grass roots for Bernie?

That could definitely go viral then next thing you know Bernie is Supreme Emperor of Earth!

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Wendy calling in, first time organizer for any politician. How are we going to fit into bernie's official grassroots movement.

Encourage everyone to sign up, but we are to be the campaign where there is none. Bernie has to concentrate on primary states.

Poll: do you want to organize with us?
1 yes
2 maybe
3 for no

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
63 for 11 on the fence, none against.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Jack: thanks for being on the call. We appreciate your presence. Want to work with you going forward.

Call over, will continue and give people a soapbox until we are tuckered out.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

The Whole Internet posted:

nonvoters on the left are morons, plain and simple. they're doing nothing to fix anything, and they have no plans to change that. they literally think that not voting is the best thing they can do. as if the democratic party will look at their not-having-voted and think "gosh, if only we could've reached out to that thoughtful young man. well we better change our corrupt ways since it hurts our feelings so much when cool customers like him don't vote"! basically i regard these people as apolitical, and too uninformed about political issues to ever get into it. their understanding of politics is about as deep as the lyrics in "Evil Empire" by Rage Against the Machine.

you can sort those people out from the really disillusioned people who actually know what they're talking about because the latter, when given a candidate who actually meets 95% of their goalposts, are willing to fight for that candidate

I see a lot of that but we are just in the beginning of this. I see a lot of potential in my generation and a cool thing about Bernie is he kinda reaches across partisan lines for actual real live people and not slimy politicians.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
:lol: @ Bernie + Franken vs Paul, not a good topic for Paul to pick a fight on

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Looks like I'll have to switch my registration to Democrat

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

it feels gross but if bernie will do it then so can i

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

Yea, just switch back after it's all said and done.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

yeah this is a good article, pro-read

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Honestly, conference call was kinda average. Certainly have been through much worse. They'll find their footing a a month or two.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

I get what your saying but what about someone like me who lives in KS. There is a 0% chance that Sanders will win KS, so voting for him doesn't really matter. Donating so that he can be more competitive in a swing state will have a much much bigger impact than an actual vote. Same for voting in our state caucus. I still vote because of local elections, but in 2012 there was no difference between voting for Obama and voting for Batman.

Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer
making a rare post for bernie. thank you for the conference call info.

i didn't see this article posted: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/06/bernie-sanders-campaign_n_7224630.html

It says that they raised $3 million in the first four days; that's thursday to sunday, correct? the article also mentions that the campaign has hired a few people who worked on obama's 2008 campaign.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

TEAYCHES posted:

yeah this is a good article, pro-read

Anyone else have anymore good poo poo?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Haze Thank Liberty posted:

making a rare post for bernie. thank you for the conference call info.

i didn't see this article posted: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/06/bernie-sanders-campaign_n_7224630.html

It says that they raised $3 million in the first four days; that's thursday to sunday, correct? the article also mentions that the campaign has hired a few people who worked on obama's 2008 campaign.

i'm keeping my fingers crossed that we see those donations keep pace as he gains more exposure that isn't dismissing him as a hopeless kook.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

jarofpiss posted:

i'm keeping my fingers crossed that we see those donations keep pace as he gains more exposure that isn't dismissing him as a hopeless kook.

That would be, what? 130 mil? How much does he need?

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

spacemang_spliff posted:

I get what your saying but what about someone like me who lives in KS. There is a 0% chance that Sanders will win KS, so voting for him doesn't really matter. Donating so that he can be more competitive in a swing state will have a much much bigger impact than an actual vote. Same for voting in our state caucus. I still vote because of local elections, but in 2012 there was no difference between voting for Obama and voting for Batman.

In the general your vote is meaningless, in the primaries it is not. People in Kansas have been conditioned to hate Hillary by Fox News for many years. They probably have less of an opinion about Sanders.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

In the general your vote is meaningless, in the primaries it is not. People in Kansas have been conditioned to hate Hillary by Fox News for many years. They probably have less of an opinion about Sanders.

They have less of an opinion now, but (assuming he won the nomination) he'd be the democratic nominee for president, they would vote against him out of instinct. I agree apathy is bad but voting isn't the only way to get poo poo done

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

Yea, you kinda have to try everything at the same time as soon as possible. Nobody can tell what tactics will be most effective at this point, so we really have to persuade as many avenues as possible.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

is it too late to give mister bernie sanders money? :ohdear:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Zev posted:

To win an election? Probably about a billion.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

kucinich was in 2008 as well. i think you're right that there's little chance of sanders winning. but while i think it's safe to say that, it's not so easy to pin down what the potential scope of Sanders' impact on the election is.

I agree and there are different ways that success could be measured. Also, in the context of the more recent economic crisis, vs the surge of patriot fistpumping after 9/11, unelectable 10 years ago was very different from unelectable now.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Poniard posted:

it's not too late but since you're tardy donate double

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

Poniard posted:

It's never too late :black101:

Jkid
Apr 20, 2010
I'm fully sympathetic to the Sanders campaign. If he can focus his message towards Economics and Economic Democracy he will succeed. This might put my dormant Government and Politics degree to good use. The real problem is he needs political ads for broadcast tv, that will be the real challenge.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Zev posted:

It's never too late :black101:

Found it! :)

Lemme scrounge up some more money soon

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Zev posted:

his goal is a mere $50 million before first round primaries

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Poniard posted:

:patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

Jkid posted:

I'm fully sympathetic to the Sanders campaign. If he can focus his message towards Economics and Economic Democracy he will succeed. This might put my dormant Government and Politics degree to good use. The real problem is he needs political ads for broadcast tv, that will be the real challenge.

Especially since he has to end his ad buys with:

One percent of this country owns 38 percent of the wealth. The bottom 60 percent owns 2.3 percent. We are essentially living in an oligarchy, one that is headed for the edge of the cliff if we do not address the social and economic inequalities that are propelling this downward spiral. How can we ever expect to reclaim the respect and support of the international community when we are starting wars in the name of democracy? When in our own country we are handing out $285 million-dollar severance packages while millions of Americans, even with the Affordable Care Act, remained uninsured? I’m telling you, the warning signs are here, and we must act. My name is Bernie Sanders and I approve this message.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Poniard posted:

:rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

Poniard posted: