Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's tedious, frustrating poo poo and you'll regret it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool, thanks!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Sakurazuka posted:

Cool, thanks!

this one seems like a pretty easy one to skip out on, especially because you should've gotten a bunch of great jrpgs from the golden week sale!

whats the next jrpg release we're all waiting for?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hubris.height posted:

this one seems like a pretty easy one to skip out on, especially because you should've gotten a bunch of great jrpgs from the golden week sale!

I already had most of the decent ones anyway.

Nothing with an actual release date, but whichever is first of Xenoblade Chronicles, Persona 5 or FF XV.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

hubris.height posted:

Paper Mario on the WiiU VC...no wait

Hyperdimension Neptunia

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Golden Goat posted:

Paper Mario on the WiiU VC

Or that.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I've actually gone back on my previous opinions because I've seen nothing but unanimous praise for OQ's gameplay, even by mainstream sites and fans. The main issue seems to be is the rest of the package (bad graphics/dumb plot/tedious VN events/etc).
It seems to have the FF13 issue of waiting 8 hours before actually really starting the game. Which probably means avoid it till its 15$ on sale or something.

It'd be really nice if someone who actually played it could weigh in in-depth though.

Also I just want an excuse to post this face.

HGH fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 8, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

HGH posted:

I've actually gone back on my previous opinions because I've seen nothing but unanimous praise for OQ's gameplay, even by mainstream sites and fans. The main issue seems to be is the rest of the package (bad graphics/dumb plot/tedious VN events/etc).
It seems to have the FF13 issue of waiting 8 hours before actually really starting the game. Which probably means avoid it till its 15$ on sale or something.

It'd be really nice if someone who actually played it could weigh in in-depth though.

Also I just want an excuse to post this face.

It's an Idea Factory game in every way, yeah. I do enjoy the battle system but it's true that they take their time introducing mechanics. I've probably played for something close to 8 hours and I still only have three of the characters to work with. I've been playing pretty slowly though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Golden Goat posted:

I could but I honestly want to avoid grinding out anything like a lot of other SRPGs.

Please tell me I don't need to block in a enemy and hurt/heal them to get levels up.

the real grinding trick is abusing arenas since the fights repeat, but if you grind in fire emblem you're probably autistic. there is 0 reason to do it and weapon breaking means it's also incredibly tedious.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

Looks fine. Absolutely fine. it's fine. Buy it.

looks like type 0

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Serious question, why hasn't there been a single anime-styled game that pulled off the art style as well as Vesperia did nearly seven years ago?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Serious question, why hasn't there been a single anime-styled game that pulled off the art style as well as Vesperia did nearly seven years ago?

everything is preteen girls now because japan is literally a nation of pedophiles

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

valkyria chronicles and graces are just as good. but yeah, i hate the movie towards the more 'realistic' 3d models

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Kingdom Hearts?
EDIT:Although really using IF as a measuring stick is a bit unfair. I mean, their face models are a texture on an actually concave face.
Also I think poorer devs are being incentivised to jump on the PS4 even if they can't use it well.

lets hang out posted:

It's an Idea Factory game in every way, yeah. I do enjoy the battle system but it's true that they take their time introducing mechanics. I've probably played for something close to 8 hours and I still only have three of the characters to work with. I've been playing pretty slowly though.
Alright, good to know. Would like to hear how things turn out as it goes.

HGH fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 8, 2015

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

everything is preteen girls now because japan is literally a nation of pedophiles

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Never buy an Idiot Fuckers/Compile Heart game.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Beep. Mad.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It's kinda weird you can see Mel Kishida's art slowly worsen.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Vesperia wasn't the last good looking anime game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Oh right, I forgot about Ni No Kuni. Probably because it was so frustrating.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Yes, but it was the last fun one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

you cant tell in that picture but the abomination is totes underage

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
that face is part of a siamese twin and the other one is a schoolgirl. it talks about onii-chan all the time and it just can't handle it anymore

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Golden Goat posted:

Looks fine. Absolutely fine. it's fine. Buy it.

They have a playing card theme on their collars, except they threw in a fifth one with a crescent moon. Whose bright idea was that?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Also if you want idol-themed rpgs, just play Ar Tonelico.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Wait a second, that golem on the right is literally the same loving golem model CH has been using in its games since like Cross Edge or Agarest. I know they're lazy but goddamn.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nakar posted:

Wait a second, that golem on the right is literally the same loving golem model CH has been using in its games since like Cross Edge or Agarest. I know they're lazy but goddamn.

That is part of how they make their money. They have extremely low costs by recycling tons of models, most of their combat engine, sound effects and so-on. Atelier does is too which is probably why they're still putting out console games.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Clarste posted:

They have a playing card theme on their collars, except they threw in a fifth one with a crescent moon. Whose bright idea was that?

They're not playing cards, they're magically delicious.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Nakar posted:

It doesn't look ugly or particularly stick out if you don't know that. Compile Heart make bad games but they're a tiny company making games on shoestring budgets and producing HD art assets is the main thing that makes modern game development so ludicrously expensive. Getting on their case about asset reuse is misdirected criticism.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wateyad posted:

It doesn't look ugly or particularly stick out if you don't know that. Compile Heart make bad games but they're a tiny company making games on shoestring budgets and producing HD art assets is the main thing that makes modern game development so ludicrously expensive. Getting on their case about asset reuse is misdirected criticism.

Yeah, I have to say "they're reusing assets, those lazy bastards" is kind of the opposite of the thing people should be encouraging. Smart recycling of assets is what game developers should be doing. You don't quite need to get to Morrigan's Sprite levels of recycling of course (and compile heart has poo poo art design so their levels still look terrible) but it's not really laziness.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

How do you make an idol jrpg without the idol sim aspect anyways...Compile Heart really dropped the ball there imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

I actually was pointing at other SRPGs where boxing in an enemy and having everybody take pot shots while a healer heals the target to catch others up is a valid tactic.

But yeah as long as the level curve is well balanced then it'll never be needed which I like.
yeah the level curve is fine. for one thing the level cap is 40. across about 32 chapters. it's pretty easy to catch characters up naturally.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I have to say "they're reusing assets, those lazy bastards" is kind of the opposite of the thing people should be encouraging. Smart recycling of assets is what game developers should be doing. You don't quite need to get to Morrigan's Sprite levels of recycling of course (and compile heart has poo poo art design so their levels still look terrible) but it's not really laziness.
i feel like this is one of those where 'compile heart is poo poo, so everything they do is poo poo.'

i mean, even the bigger JRPG franchises like tales reuse assets. The 13 trilogy exists entirely as an excuse to reuse assets.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How do you make an idol jrpg without the idol sim aspect anyways...Compile Heart really dropped the ball there imo

Tired Moritz posted:

Also if you want idol-themed rpgs, just play Ar Tonelico.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would quite happily play a thousand IGAvania's even if they were still reusing sprites from Rondo of Blood.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The only part of idol life I want to sim is the part where they brutally destroy messed up alien freaks with microphone-battleaxes and microphone-sniper rifles.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

If Jack from Mass Effect 2 and Kaine from NIER got into an argument, about how many seconds would it take for them to summon the swear demon from that South Park episode?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

So you can get DA: Inquisition on Origin for £25 at the moment. Is it worth it if I enjoyed DA Origins? Friend's thoughts are that combat's poo poo and side quests are too but I wonder what you lot think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Finally finished Suiko V. It started slow and never really picked up all the way up to the ending. The more dynamic it tried to be the more the action was punctuated by loading screens.
At least IV was over in half the time, and didn't wait 45 hours to give me a character to make the party run faster. Also, it didn't actually force me to bring that character with me to enjoy the boost. And it has cutscene skip in NG+.