Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Pierson posted:

Has any movie ever successfully pulled that off except Shrek?

Rat Race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Pierson posted:

It had a dance party at the end though. Has any movie ever successfully pulled that off except Shrek? Really asking.

Slumdog Millionaire

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Waffleman_ posted:

I wanna see them do a legal comedy series with She-Hulk.

I want to see them do anything except large things crashing into a city. I am liking all of the clumsy legal stuff in Daredevil.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pierson posted:

It had a dance party at the end though. Has any movie ever successfully pulled that off except Shrek? Really asking.

Zatoichi

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The end of Rat Race is an atrocity that ruins the movie. gently caress Smash Mouth.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

kiimo posted:

The end of Rat Race is an atrocity that ruins the movie. gently caress Smash Mouth.

Mystery Men would be a good movie if it didn't have Smash Mouth.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Mystery Men would be a good movie if it didn't have Smash Mouth.

Mystery Men is a loving terrible movie and the weird cult following that has sprung up around it is completely inexplicable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sleeveless posted:

Mystery Men is a loving terrible movie and the weird cult following that has sprung up around it is completely inexplicable.

I would like to take this opportunity to say that my name is not, in fact, derived from the Dane Cook scene. I haven't even seen the movie.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Smash Mouth is okay

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Ant-Man should be this poster but with Ant-Man, Yellowjacket, and a couple of ants between Michael Douglas and a large pile of money.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Cinephiles who are casual superhero fans love it because it's a movie made by cinephiles who were casual superhero fans for cinephiles who are casual superhero fans. It's got a lot of fun stuff to it but it's also pretty "eh that's it?". Very Gen-X and all that implies.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Waffleman_ posted:

I would like to take this opportunity to say that my name is not, in fact, derived from the Dane Cook scene. I haven't even seen the movie.

His name was The Waffler. As long as you don't carry around a Griddle of Justice, you should be fine.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mystery Men is a good movie because it stars a bunch of funny people being funny.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Mystery Men is fun to watch and therefore accomplishes its purpose.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

It feels, though, like for this movie they really need to push the concept more. It's a film about a superhero whose power is being tiny, yes it's weird, they need to make that the hook rather than try to steer around it. I feel like they could do that and still have the floating heads somehow.

Something like this?:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That is a major improvement. Nice touch with Ant-Man holding up the heads.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

No Michael Pena, no buy

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah the casting is insanely good for an Ant-Man movie. Like other posters, I mostly worry about how it will pull off the Edgar Wright feel without Edgar Wright.

The toy train gag from the trailer is very Edgar Wright, but I didn't get that feeling from anything else in the trailer. But then again I don't think they're really trying to capture a Wright feel for the movie, if that's really what they wanted they wouldn't have fired him.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

Franklin & Smash

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

lessthankyle posted:

Franklin & Smash

aka 'Nelson and Walters -- Attorneys at Law'

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I still can't believe "Bobby Cannavale" is a real name. It sounds like the name of a weaselly lackey of a mobster in an 80's cop film.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Davros1 posted:

I still can't believe "Bobby Cannavale" is a real name. It sounds like the name of a weaselly lackey of a mobster in an 80's cop film.

My thought process always leaps to remembering Carnavale was a show people liked and then wondering if I should actually watch it and then deciding no.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Wait this is bullshit, don't they ride an ant in the movie? How big is the ant?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
^They do. They're blown up a little for the poster to be visible.

Terminal Entropy posted:

Something like this?:

Good things come in ants.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

lelandjs posted:

The toy train gag from the trailer is very Edgar Wright, but I didn't get that feeling from anything else in the trailer. But then again I don't think they're really trying to capture a Wright feel for the movie, if that's really what they wanted they wouldn't have fired him.

He wrote the script as well though. So if they used even 75% of his script then it will be filled with Edgar Wright style gags. If you don't film those gags close to Edgar Wright's style I can see them falling flat.

Imagine the stuff from Shaun of the Dead where Shaun is getting ready for his day, smash cuts over really mundane things making them look more dramatic. Now imagine that scene filmed in a straight forward manner with Shaun just going through the motions. It just wouldn't work the same.
Clip for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YY6mymW4oA

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

This would be the only Marvel thing I'd been interested in. That and Doctor Strange but they're making that and it's going to suck.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I am really excited to see what they'll do with AKA Jessica Jones. I wonder if Rosario Dawson will reprise Night Nurse?

I expect her to pop up at least in Luke Cage.

Noxville posted:

That and Doctor Strange but they're making that and it's going to suck.

What are you basing this on? Other than "This is CD and I'm gonna poo poo on everything Marvel does?"

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

What are you basing this on? Other than "This is CD and I'm gonna poo poo on everything Marvel does?"

The fact that they cast Benedict Cumberbatch.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Benedict Cumberbatch is strange.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Waffleman_ posted:

Basically Harvey Birdman which would be great, hell have Bob Odenkirk represent supervillains too in it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Noxville posted:

The fact that they cast Benedict Cumberbatch.

casting benegood cumbergreat seems like a plus, in my opinion, to me

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

oddium posted:

casting benegood cumbergreat seems like a plus, in my opinion, to me

This forum hates him, so anything involving him is totally going to suck guys.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New posters just in time to stop another BenCumb derail.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Olympus Has Fallen got a sequel? Why?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Davros1 posted:

He's that x20. He's really too good for the piddling roles he gets.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Codependent Poster posted:

I wish it was Parliament Down instead. :(

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I really don't want to start a Cumberbatch derail but I do have a serious question: has he ever done anything comedic, and done well in it? Doctor Strange seems like a character that would be just miserable played straight, and as far as I can tell lately his roles have been nothing but super serious action movies, biopics and Shakespeare.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
His little part in Four Lions is hilarious.

"C'mon, talk to me about girls, Waj, please?"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sherlock Holmes is often very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm wondering the same thing. I liked OHF, but it didn't seem like a movie that really begged for a sequel, and I didn't know it made that much at the box office either.