Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

asking for money from the internet is not a good model. We learned this in the '90

Yes, that's exactly what the .com burst meant. Good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

asking for money from the internet is not a good model. We learned this in the '90

Played your hand a little too far there mate, no one is this stupid... Or are they?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
A kid walks up to mumpy puffinz door and begins to knock. Mumpy puffinz answers.

kid: Hello, I am selling magazines to raise funds for my school's class trip to the kennedy space center. Would you like to buy any magazines?
mumpy puffinz: what the gently caress???

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

if they had good business model they would have gotten money without asking for it online.

similarly i don't get why all the fuss about the death penalty, all those people were convicted of crimes

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Maluco Marinero posted:

Played your hand a little too far there mate, no one is this stupid... Or are they?

Really not sure how I'm wrong here. Where is the winner who used Kickstarter?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

It's not that weird, where is the Double Fine game? I also don't preorder games. What is the best game from Kickstarter you have played?
Ok either you're so stupid it hurts or you're trolling. I hope for your sake it's trolling.

The Double Fine game is finished? I don't know what your point is there. Yes he went hugely overbudget and over schedule. Shockingly so do publisher made games as well. That has zero to do if the original pitch was good and it looks like they have delivered on that pitch in the end.

The best game? Pillars of Eternity so far. Not sure what reason you'll find for saying it's not a great game but whatever it is it doesn't really matter to me. I paid money and got a game I enjoy.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Pillars of Eternity is a winner, as is Shadowrun Returns and sequels. You're literally arguing that because you don't understand and/or like something, it must be bad and horrible and everyone who does it is stupid.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Darkhold posted:

Ok either you're so stupid it hurts or you're trolling. I hope for your sake it's trolling.

The Double Fine game is finished? I don't know what your point is there. Yes he went hugely overbudget and over schedule. Shockingly so do publisher made games as well. That has zero to do if the original pitch was good and it looks like they have delivered on that pitch in the end.

The best game? Pillars of Eternity so far. Not sure what reason you'll find for saying it's not a great game but whatever it is it doesn't really matter to me. I paid money and got a game I enjoy.

holy gently caress! Kickstarter has been around for about three years and that is your champion? Really? A game that no one played? Kickstarter is pathetic!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Ah, now I feel better. On the one hand, I've wasted time arguing with a troll. On the other hand I'm relieved that he's not actually that stupid.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Star Citizen is worth the thousands of dollars you idiots have paid for. They aren't just living large on your money.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Darkhold posted:

Because as I said publishers are rarely interested in funding niche games. I've been in plenty of meetings with executives that will casually turn down profitable deals because the margins aren't high enough to take risker deals with a bigger chance of return. They aren't interested in making money they're interested in making the most money and that doesn't make the smaller deals 'bad' just not what the company is interested in.

So now there are small markets that are being starved for content. If these markets are willing to self fund the content they want it's a good thing.

You seem to have some weird just world fallacy when it comes to game development. There's nothing just or logical about the business world.

People have been parroting this argument verbatim ever since the Playstation days and it's less true than ever before.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Kickstarter is great because it divides an idiot and their money

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Kickstarter is great because it divides an idiot and their money

Then why do you still have yours?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cheez posted:

Then why do you still have yours?

because I don't give free money game developers.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Did everybody forget that FTL was kickstarted?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

everythingWasBees posted:

Did everybody forget that FTL was kickstarted?

No, just one dude named Mumpy Puffinz who is the most obvious troll in existence.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Yep. I'm the troll. Not the worthless developers you wasted all that money on.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Yep. I'm the troll. Not the worthless developers you wasted all that money on.

You can pry Dragonfall out of my cold dead hands you dumb fucker.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

ErIog posted:

No, just one dude named Mumpy Puffinz who is the most obvious troll in existence.

No I mean for an example of a fantastic success story and a great game.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

kirbysuperstar posted:

You can pry Dragonfall out of my cold dead hands you dumb fucker.

I have no idea what that is. Good on you for finding the one kickstarter game that works for you, I guess.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Sleeveless posted:

People have been parroting this argument verbatim ever since the Playstation days and it's less true than ever before.
This is literally what I've seen though? Not in game development but in business in general. I don't even think you've offered any kind of counter argument other than you personally don't believe it.

I'm not sure how it's less true. I don't remember Wasteland 2 or Pillars of Eternity or a turn based Shadowrun game before kickstarter. Obsidian has openly said their company was on the verge of folding before kickstarter.

Mumpy Puffinz yeah as I said in my post I knew you'd try some kind of 'that doesn't count because...' as if that mattered to me. I don't care if I was the only person that enjoyed the game or not. It was worth it to me I'm dubious that'd I'd use some other criteria when it comes to spending my money.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
you know what I gave 3$ to the oatmeal tesla thing

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

is there a gas leak in here or did you all just fall for mumpy puffinz really really obvious troll

sounds like you guys should kickstart some brains

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Mortimer posted:

is there a gas leak in here or did you all just fall for mumpy puffinz really really obvious troll

sounds like you guys should kickstart some brains
I fully understand he's just trolling. But his arguments are all ones I've seen before offered in earnestness. Might as well kill some time before work.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I guess as a concept kickstarted games are kinda okay, compared to the other Kickstarter staple, which is useless junkyard filler designed for impulse buyers.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Kickstarter is pathetic!
I can get behind this.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

holy gently caress! Kickstarter has been around for about three years and that is your champion? Really? A game that no one played? Kickstarter is pathetic!

Well, that game and a hot dog shack.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

I agree with Mumpy Puffinz.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

ErIog posted:

This thread is a helluva lot better when it's "check out this insane bullshit that can't possibly work or is an obvious money-laundering scheme" rather than "project I am secretly jealous of" or "project from people I have an irrational hatred for."

Yooka-Laylee is a loving great Kickstarter. The kinds of things they're promising to do with the money they're raising seem pretty significant in terms of quality and increasing how much content is in the game. Seeing as how the entire company are veteran game devs and their budget graph looks reasonable, I really have no idea why it was posted here.

Let's get this poo poo train rolling again. I submit: CH4, a gadget that will let the world know you are pre-occupied with your own farts.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/963861855/keep-track-of-your-gases-with-ch4?ref=category

I'd invest in this machine if it was a more social engagement and the goal was to make the smelliest farts. Like a seismograph of human fart clouds. I would then like to post my stats to twitter and poo poo like that.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I gave some money to a guy on Kickstarter and he gave me a cool game that I like in return. So, I guess I'm happy with that.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I would donate to Mumpy Puffinz's kickstat.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Great Rumbler posted:

I gave some money to a guy on Kickstarter and he gave me a cool game that I like in return. So, I guess I'm happy with that.

I've given money to five different Kickstarters, up to $40-$50, and never got any of the rewards promised. They were all art and environment projects I really cared about (no preorder phone bullshit), so I guess I'm ok with that, but I hope they see completion someday.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I too engage in consumption!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nagato posted:

I've given money to five different Kickstarters, up to $40-$50, and never got any of the rewards promised. They were all art and environment projects I really cared about (no preorder phone bullshit), so I guess I'm ok with that, but I hope they see completion someday.

I admit I'd start wondering if an art person is really fit to run a kickstarter without supervision after the 2nd failure. Too bad about the environment stuff.

unpacked robinhood has a new favorite as of 15:57 on May 11, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

I too engage in consumption!

Are you so desperate to consume that you shove money at people just for the promise of being able to increase your future consumption?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Why would anyone spend money on a thing that that I don't like I'm literally too autistic to understand this concept

Paul Zuvella has a new favorite as of 16:17 on May 11, 2015

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I gave money to a kickstarter and like a year later I got some water balloon things that fill 30 balloons at once. Don't know if they actually work yet.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Germstore posted:

I gave money to a kickstarter and like a year later I got some water balloon things that fill 30 balloons at once. Don't know if they actually work yet.

the dealexterme experience

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I'd invest in this machine if it was a more social engagement and the goal was to make the smelliest farts. Like a seismograph of human fart clouds. I would then like to post my stats to twitter and poo poo like that.

Tie it in with something like Ingress. Two teams competing for territory by means of farts. The louder and smellier yours are, the more area you control. There could be a whole Google maps overlay to see who's winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Tie it in with something like Ingress. Two teams competing for territory by means of farts. The louder and smellier yours are, the more area you control. There could be a whole Google maps overlay to see who's winning.

Think about the positives it could have on the community. Gang turf wars could be ended with fart severity supremacy. You would simply join a "Fart Group" that combines your control area with other members.