Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Axetrain posted:

Not super impressed with the Wyoming, 12 boomsticks is nice but man 14km is a huge pain in the rear end and it's only going to get worse as I move up.
Nah starting with the New York you can put in a mod that gives you +16% range on your guns. My range on the New York is listed as 15.6km but with the mod I can reach out to ~18km.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Axetrain posted:

Not super impressed with the Wyoming, 12 boomsticks is nice but man 14km is a huge pain in the rear end and it's only going to get worse as I move up.

Hope it beats the snot out of a South Carolina. Though one can still do nice things with it.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Michaellaneous posted:

^
Only issue I have are long match-loading times.

Okay, may I present you: My issue with fighters on the Indepenence.

Okay, looks decent. It's the upgraded version.

Now, if we look at tier up:

Hm....Hmmmmmmmmm...

What that means is that you are basically hosed, even if you have two squads, you won't be able to take out a single enemy fighter squadron.

RIP

Wargaming has said in their instructional videos that carriers of a higher tier should always win fighter dogfights, so its probably intended behavior. I'll be damned if the difference isn't hilariously large, though. The survivability change isn't a huge amount different, so its probably ok to try and coordinate with allied cruisers and fight under friendly AA to even the odds. I wonder if the focused fire skill reduces the effectiveness of fighters... since it reduces the accuracy of the other 2 types of planes (and murderzones scouts).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Server busy, please try again later. Welp.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Welp, time to take a short break until the mods come back as usual. It's too bad about the changes to AP though, game's not even in Open Beta and WG's balancing is already moving towards capitulating the worthless pubs that already afflict WoWs.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Managed to get a Wyoming unlocked, got tired of the 9 a side BB slap-fest, took the Omaha out for a spin...

(1.5x round & Premium acct in effect)

:staredog: :tipshat:

The medal I got is "Confederate" - for damaging at least 6 different ships for 20% or more of their base HP. Got me a 10 use flag thing that gives 50% more xp per battle. All I did was cruise in a figure 8 pattern in the backfield and dumped alternating salvos of HE/AP at anything that got into range. I know I set a BB on fire at least twice. I'm happy to say the lack of aim assist wasn't too much of a handicap, but I definitely prefer a non-stock gun-sight. If you can figure out how much left/right lead to use, you've got it made.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.
Any observations on the HE vs AP with this new patch? HE is suppose to be more useful now correct?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Crash74 posted:

lol kitkats smoke screen is only 15 seconds, what a joke

Just like the iwaki then. About what I expected. 15 is enough to turn away safely without being enough to become ridiculous.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Zhanism posted:

Any observations on the HE vs AP with this new patch? HE is suppose to be more useful now correct?

more useful would be an understatement see this pic from the prior pages

edit:

vvvv this was in a wyoming - HE is pretty much the best for all ships, unless you are close for AP and can guarantee a citadel (maybe?)

Burno fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 14, 2015

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

xthetenth posted:

Just like the iwaki then. About what I expected. 15 is enough to turn away safely without being enough to become ridiculous.

If you're not running your KTKM with two destroyers in a platoon and laying down ludicrous group torpedo salvoes from a permanent cloud of smoke, you're really not getting the full experience.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Burno posted:

more useful would be an understatement see this pic from the prior pages

But for battleships and cruisers with 8 inchers, are AP still the way to go? My cleveland would be good with HE I assume.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zhanism posted:

But for battleships and cruisers with 8 inchers, are AP still the way to go? My cleveland would be good with HE I assume.

orange juche posted:

I've just switched to using HE. Setting triple fires and watching someone burn to death is nice. The dog comic was in reference to what BBs can do with Pyromania and HE loaded. You have a 20%+ chance of setting someone on fire with pyromania, per shell (without pyromania it is still 15%). if you get a good solid broadside that can be 3 or more fires, which will cripple an enemy ship, especially if the opponent ignores the fires. If he burns his repair to put out the fires, you do it again 30s later and watch him panic as he cant do anything to save his ship.

AP is good for the 10k damage money shot, but if you only get 1 money shot in a volley of 12 shells and the other 11 bounce, HE would have been better.

TL;DR fire is loving OP now.

E: fires are also really good at low health for sniping kills from underneath people pounding on a target.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
So I got the Beta Access with the Yubari, since it was the cheapest option. How is it, anyways?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sperglord Firecock posted:

So I got the Beta Access with the Yubari, since it was the cheapest option. How is it, anyways?

Yubari is very fast and agile, has good AA at tier 4, its guns are middling to OK, but you're going to be doing almost all your damage through fire caused by HE anyways. It has a rearward angled torpedo rack for putting torps into someone as you are passing them or passing by an opening they are sailing into.

However, your armor is laughably thin, only 18,000 hp at tier4 as a cruiser means you won't stand up in a straight fight, and you will need to use your speed and agility and discretion on what fights to take and which ones to run from. You have a 32kt top speed, so you can outpace almost anything on the water except for the Minekaze at tier 5. Everything at tier 4 and tier 3 cannot catch you, so use it.

Float like a butterfly, sting like a CL.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

orange juche posted:

Yubari is very fast and agile, has good AA at tier 4, its guns are middling to OK, but you're going to be doing almost all your damage through fire caused by HE anyways. It has a rearward angled torpedo rack for putting torps into someone as you are passing them or passing by an opening they are sailing into.

However, your armor is laughably thin, only 18,000 hp at tier4 as a cruiser means you won't stand up in a straight fight, and you will need to use your speed and agility and discretion on what fights to take and which ones to run from. You have a 32kt top speed, so you can outpace almost anything on the water except for the Minekaze at tier 5. Everything at tier 4 and tier 3 cannot catch you, so use it.

Float like a butterfly, sting like a CL.

It also has a pretty large citadel area. There was nothing more amusing than landing all 4 shells on an enemy yubari's citadel with my yubari.

Edit: god dammit wargaming, can't you do anything right. So my mogami got turned into a myoko. That isn't that surprising honestly. What is surprising though is that the myoko is bone stock and requires research. The mogami was fully upgraded.

Also, first game of the patch and I take out my atlanta:

:supaburn:

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 14, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Burno posted:

vvvv this was in a wyoming - HE is pretty much the best for all ships, unless you are close for AP and can guarantee a citadel (maybe?)

You can get some pretty decent results with AP still:

Mind you, I was in a New York mostly fighting Wyomings and South Carolinas so it was punching down. I see more bounces when I'm fighting other New Yorks or higher. I've played a couple of Warspite games and those 15-inchers were tearing stuff apart though so I'm really exited to get to the Colorado and see the 16s in action.

E: Here's one where I was fighting ships equal to me:

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 14, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
The new sounds and graphical changes are fantastic. I think sinking ships could use a little more looking at - especially when they sink in shallow water and magically quantum tunnel through the seafloor - but the oil slicks and escaping air are a nice touch that WoT also has, despite rarely ever seeing a drowning close up by comparison.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm stuck at medium graphics settings; I tried high, and it took 2 muntes to load in, flicked between 7 and 40 fps depending what was on screen, and then went to 0 fps when I found a smokescreen

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The SC and the Wyoming have both atrocious range.
However, once you get to the New York you get about 15km range, and the abilitiy to buy the range modification. Which you should do, it gets you to about 18Km total and is a must buy.

Hazdoc posted:

Wargaming has said in their instructional videos that carriers of a higher tier should always win fighter dogfights, so its probably intended behavior. I'll be damned if the difference isn't hilariously large, though. The survivability change isn't a huge amount different, so its probably ok to try and coordinate with allied cruisers and fight under friendly AA to even the odds. I wonder if the focused fire skill reduces the effectiveness of fighters... since it reduces the accuracy of the other 2 types of planes (and murderzones scouts).

Yes, but two on one without barely any looses over friendly AA is retarded. Look, I am all about "You made it to a tier higher because you banged your head against a wall often enough", but giving lower tier carriers literally no chance to defend their bombers is unfun and unfair.

Darth Sidious
Jan 9, 2011

My Force is Bigger Than Yours!
Any word on when the mods are getting fixed? my thumb is getting sore from holding down the alt button :(

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Servers are up again btw. See me in TS.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
I am loving that my Cleveland is getting shoved into battles with South Carolinas and Wyomings. Why yes I will light you on fire perpetually while you miss your infrequent shots that have the same range as mine.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Apprentice Dick posted:

I am loving that my Cleveland is getting shoved into battles with South Carolinas and Wyomings. Why yes I will light you on fire perpetually while you miss your infrequent shots that have the same range as mine.

Any rapid fire ship plus pyromania is loving amazing. My Fletcher is having so much fun taking potshots at anything in range, setting them on fire, watching them burn the damage control, then setting them on fire three more times.

Also, the Atlanta is poo poo-scary for the exact same reason.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

And Japanese Destroyers remain unscary and toothless for the same reason, at least up to the Minekaze where I am

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
God drat this game is looking good now.

Warspite with some jenga towers in the background:

And some :britain::hf::911:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

All it really needs is actual AA to deal with the rigging having tons of subpixel aliasing. Either that or an ability for the UI to deal with the supersampling stuff on new cards.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

rossmum posted:

God drat this game is looking good now.

Warspite with some jenga towers in the background:

And some :britain::hf::911:

I love the new sinking effects including oil slicks, etc.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
The difference in pubbie accuracy is huge after the patch. :newlol:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

PirateBob posted:

The difference in pubbie accuracy is huge after the patch. :newlol:

I don't think it is just their lack of aim. AP shells not always doing damage helps too. I walked away with healf health in my ranger just now because I like to keep near my teammates for faster cycling of planes (not that they need help now that the choice is either a ground pound air group or air superiority group).

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I can't aim for poo poo without my red dot :(
So torp it is.

All those juicy BB !

Yet I end up in this

:bang:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

JuffoWup posted:

I don't think it is just their lack of aim. AP shells not always doing damage helps too. I walked away with healf health in my ranger just now because I like to keep near my teammates for faster cycling of planes (not that they need help now that the choice is either a ground pound air group or air superiority group).

I feel like when you do get a citadel hit, it does more damage now though? Like, I hit a cruiser in the bow last night and did something like 22k damage.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

It looks like they're modeling bows much better for being a prime target to let you punch into magazines.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

xthetenth posted:

It looks like they're modeling bows much better for being a prime target to let you punch into magazines.

I can get behind this. It sure was a shock to see a single shell do that much damage, even for a citadel hit.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Krogort posted:

All those juicy BB !

I managed to get into one game as a South Carolina before I lost patience. Like I'm gonna wait in queue with 115 other battleships, when I'm playing as a ship that moves slower, turns slower, has less range, and does less damage than the cruisers I'm fighting against.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Anyone know a perma-Alt and a crosshair mod that work with the current version?

Axetrain posted:

The Izumo looks... special, what's the logic behind that turret layout.

It minimises the amount of space taken up by vitals, meaning you can have a smaller and hence lighter and/or better-armored citadel. See the Nelson-class for two BBs actually built that way.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Is it me or are IJN CV now down right superior to USN for ship attack ?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Krogort posted:

Is it me or are IJN CV now down right superior to USN for ship attack ?

The Hosho does 3k damage per torpedo hit, 4 planes per squadron, and a single AA gun on a lowbie cruiser is enough to make them scatter fire, so that ship at least is a dud

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

3 carrier torp squadrons looks good until you remember that's the same number of planes the US carriers had in two.

I think carriers in general got hurt.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Whoa, HE does a ton more damage now than I remember. It feels like they're hitting like AP shells at times, too, I'm getting a lot more citadels with HE than before (usually on super long range shots that drop onto the enemy).
Also, did citadel damage get increased? I blapped a citadel on another BB with whatever the first american battleship you get is... and with only one AP shell actually hitting, too. Just 100-0 with a single shell. Jesus christ.

I'm really liking this patch, if only for it removing the current iteration of the aim assist mod and watching all the BB players start shooting incredibly far ahead of their target, and dropping their shells too short. I guess people can't read distance info on the alt fire to at least get the second part right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

ANTI-AIRCRAFT GUNS AND SECONDARY ARMAMENT DISABLED