Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

gret posted:

A plausible argument is that your average mugger isn't going to be able to tell the difference between a luxury watch and a knockoff/cheap watch while it's pretty easy to tell whether somebody has an Apple Watch on their wrist.

It's not a great argument though, and requires a level of suspension of reality that coincidentally enough thrives in the Apple blogger world. High end watches are incredibly distinctive. Thieves might not know more obscure watches like mega-valuable Patek Philippes you see quite often in NYC subways, but it's ridiculously easy to spot a Rolex as their popular watches are all incredibly iconic designs globally advertised to an extent that even a non-watch person knows at minimum what the Rolex logo looks like, if not a pretty good idea of what a few of the more popular watches from the Oyster lineup look like. The same can be said to a somewhat lesser extent of Omegas, Tags, etc.

High end watches are universally valuable everywhere on Earth, and there's a thriving second hand market of people who don't ask too many questions, or none at all. I've been trading up watches for close to a decade now and if you don't come off as shady the only question they ask you is what name you want on the check. Comparatively, say you steal an Apple watch, that whole secondary market doesn't really exist beyond pandering to Craigslisters. Additionally, theft over $500 is felonly-level theft... So if you're going to steal a watch, why bother with one so cheap?

It just all reeks of "I've been totally obsessed with the Apple Watch for months, I see them when I go out, I see them in my sleep, and of course thieves are gunning for me because I'm one of the lucky ones."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Hasters posted:

No, but Apple invented the smartwatch that people will actually buy, wear, and that there will be a resale and accessory market built around.

TBD

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

But my original point was not that the Watch UI is unintuitive, I simply mentioned that I read about it being unintuitive. My main gripe, with my limited experience, is that it seemed frustrating to have to go through so many steps to be able to access Glances, which are touted as really quick and easy things to access on the fly. The fact that these can be only accessed from the Watch face, which isn't always just one or two taps away, is all I was bringing up.
Lift/turn arm (to activate watch face) and swipe up?

I'd guess there might be a bit of cognitive disconnect between actual use vs screwing around exploring all the features which might not be a realistic workflow when actually on your arm.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

japtor posted:

Lift/turn arm (to activate watch face) and swipe up?

I'd guess there might be a bit of cognitive disconnect between actual use vs screwing around exploring all the features which might not be a realistic workflow when actually on your arm.

This is exactly right. The problem with idiots arguing until they're blue in the face about something they've used for five minutes in a store and read a little bit about online is that they lack a fundamental understanding about how the product is actually used.

This is a wearable device strapped to your wrist, designed for quick glances of information and very brief interactions. The default setting has it revert to the watch face every time the screen sleeps and wakes up. This is well publicised and has been stated here quite a few times already. It doesn't take long to get to your Glances because every time you raise your wrist to activate the screen you're taken straight to the watch face by default. If you are in an app, you can also get back to the watch face by pressing the digital crown home button (possibly more than once or with the aid of some swiping if you launched the app from the app screen - I hope your fingers survive!!).

The user interface is incredibly intuitive for how the device is designed to be interacted with. If you picture this as a device you'll be fiddling around with for minutes or hours at a time then obviously you have no idea what the concept of a smart watch actually is. Seriously, strap an iPhone to your moronic wrist and be done with it.

You may need to work out how to do it yourself though, because it looks like not many other people are that dumb:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73411306/smartlet-turn-your-iphone-into-the-ultimate-smartw

:laugh:

Mr.Maximilian
Apr 14, 2005

I'm tempted to use the cat...
Digital Crown button is easiest thought of as identical to home button.

One press always take you to apps screen.
Double press always switches to previous app (multitasking).
Hold always opens Siri.

The watch app acts like the lock screen - if you leave the device, that's what you find when you return.

I've had mine since launch day -- I find it hard to believe a year from now anyone will be any more lost on it than people are on an iPhone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mr.Maximilian posted:

Digital Crown button is easiest thought of as identical to home button.

One press always take you to apps screen.
Double press always switches to previous app (multitasking).
Hold always opens Siri.

The watch app acts like the lock screen - if you leave the device, that's what you find when you return.

I've had mine since launch day -- I find it hard to believe a year from now anyone will be any more lost on it than people are on an iPhone.

I want to preface this by saying that all that ShoogaSlim said to start this whole escalating thing was "it seems weird that the crown/'home button' doesn't always take you to the same place." And it doesn't, unlike what you say here.

Pressing the crown can take you to the watch face or the apps screen, depending what you did previously. That's all. Please don't take this as me saying it is bad, I think it is probably really easy to grasp after you play with it for a couple minutes. Given an individual's typical "flow" for how they navigate and use the watch, I think in practice there is probably very little confusion. But the fact that you and others in the thread still have some misconceptions about what a single press or double click of the crown actually does after owning the thing for a week or two, suggests that it might not be super obvious how the watch is deviating from the iPhone paradigm of "home screen" and "home button."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Was in Manhattan for the last few days, at a very trendy tech company, and was surprised how few Apple watches I saw. Like, none.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

smackfu posted:

Was in Manhattan for the last few days, at a very trendy tech company, and was surprised how few Apple watches I saw. Like, none.

I do web design for a living and I only know one person that's bought it. It surprised me because most of the people I work with have an iPhone + Macbook, but they're not interested or waiting until gen 2.

I guess it's apparently selling pretty well though so I dunno who's buying it

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm a designer at an ad tech company and saw two in the office. Let's pile on more anecdotes!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The Dave posted:

I'm a designer at an ad tech company and saw two in the office. Let's pile on more anecdotes!

Is it because you are doing ads for the apple watch

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Dave posted:

I work at Xamarin, where we got, if I recall correctly, nine or ten the first day. And few others the week after. Some were bought for development purposes by the company, and some (like myself) bought personal ones.

:tipshat:

Edit: Oh yeah. Jeb Bush has an Apple Watch too. So add that to the list.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 15, 2015

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Just got mine and did a thorough test: it turns out that no matter where you are or what you're doing in the watch OS, 3 presses of the crown/home button will take you to the watch face.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Is it because you are doing ads for the apple watch

Only for interactions that require you to press the crown 5 times.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Trip report: single press took me to the home screen, double press took me to the last used app, and tried single pressing again but the battery died

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

I want to preface this by saying that all that ShoogaSlim said to start this whole escalating thing was "it seems weird that the crown/'home button' doesn't always take you to the same place." And it doesn't, unlike what you say here.

Pressing the crown can take you to the watch face or the apps screen, depending what you did previously. That's all. Please don't take this as me saying it is bad, I think it is probably really easy to grasp after you play with it for a couple minutes. Given an individual's typical "flow" for how they navigate and use the watch, I think in practice there is probably very little confusion. But the fact that you and others in the thread still have some misconceptions about what a single press or double click of the crown actually does after owning the thing for a week or two, suggests that it might not be super obvious how the watch is deviating from the iPhone paradigm of "home screen" and "home button."

Not an iWatch owner, but this reminds me of the awful instruction videos of the minimalist iPod shuffle (not your instructions, the Apple image) .

Complicated. Or not "Apple" simple.

Apple will sort it out eventually. Probably by the 3rd or 4th gen, like they normally do.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Lol when gen 2 os is totes different and y'all gotta back track drat Ima laugh fam

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Its gonna be like no MMS on the original iphone.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

How bad does it physically hurt your frail little body when someone says something remotely negative about your favorite toys? I'm hyper glad I'm not you.

It must suck to be wrong, multiple times, when trying to defend your favorite toy. You get so mad that you make poo poo up, then backtrack, then post a smiley to hide the fact that you're so mad. You keep telling me to strap an iPhone to my wrist yet you're the one obsessed with that concept. Take it easy, dude.

RVProfootballer posted:

all ShoogaSlim said to start this whole escalating thing was "it seems weird that the crown/'home button' doesn't always take you to the same place." And it doesn't, unlike what you say here.

This guy gets it.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Are ShoogaSlim and rear end Catchcum the same person, or do they just post rear end-to-rear end while sharing a giant double-ended dildo?

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
Apple-made apps can be reached from complications/glances/notifications and all the third-party apps are poorly-designed laggy pieces of poo poo anyway, so accessing the app screen turns out to be largely irrelevant.

Just pretend it's the original iPhone all over again and wait for Watch OS 2.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

How do you install 3rd party watch faces

OracleX
Nov 19, 2002
There is a much simpler way to reach the watch face without even pressing the crown once. Just cover the screen with a palm slap and then tap the face to make the screen turn on. It's faster than pressing the crown once and works every time. Try it and love it.

OracleX fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 15, 2015

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Don Lapre posted:

How do you install 3rd party watch faces
You don't.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

OracleX posted:

There is a much simpler way to reach the watch face without even pressing the crown once. Just cover the screen with a palm slap and then tap the face to make the screen turn on. It's faster than pressing the crown once and works every time. Try it and love it.

This is the real home button. Coming to iPhone 6S next :D

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Guess you will need a new $700 watch for that feature

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Don Lapre posted:

Guess you will need a new $700 watch for that feature
lol if you bought the Apple Watch without knowing that.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I wrote a ton of words about my first week with the Apple Watch if anyone is interested in another droll idiot going on and on in some navel gazing think piece about the Apple Watch - http://toucharcade.com/2015/05/15/the-apple-watch-review-week-1/

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

io_burn posted:

I wrote a ton of words about my first week with the Apple Watch if anyone is interested in another droll idiot going on and on in some navel gazing think piece about the Apple Watch - http://toucharcade.com/2015/05/15/the-apple-watch-review-week-1/

That was a great review. I liked the focus on real world usage and how it meshed with your expectations coming in. Too many reviews try to project how other people will react instead of conveying impressions.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's bizarre that you can only send Digital Touch messages to people in your Friends circle thing. I have people in there who don't (and in the case of my parents, probably won't) have a Watch. I have people outside of it with Watches.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Cult of Mac: What does ‘fitness’ mean and why does it matter?

Proposed new thread title.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It seems like an entirely reasonable thing to ask though. It's like harping on a food product for saying "low fat" when it may just mean slightly lower fat than another product. A lot of people buy products like this with the intention of using is as a tool to get fit, but in reality you will likely get better results focusing on buying a rudimentary gym membership for less than the watch/Fitbit costs.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

I mean my anecdote is that I know literal recent Apple employees who are vaguely jealous of the fact that I have a watch at all. At this point they haven't met bleeding-edge-adopter demand in the Bay Area alone, including people in their own ranks. I'm really interested to know what the mass-market reaction is in general, but we're not even close to there yet.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Have we talked about apple watch cases yet?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Residency Evil posted:

Are you outing yourself as someone who wants to buy a case for their loving wrist watch?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Anyone else having problems with contact addresses? Mine only give the country, which makes it difficult to get walking directions home without getting my phone out.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

I read this post, and then when I checked FB afterwards there was an ad for a Kickstarter project for an Apple watch case. Why is there a need for such a thing?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DJCobol posted:

I read this post, and then when I checked FB afterwards there was an ad for a Kickstarter project for an Apple watch case. Why is there a need for such a thing?

Apple pocket watch

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Apple pocket watch

This is going to be the next hipster thing.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Oh god, it is, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

DJCobol posted:

Probably people who want to treat their Apple Watch like a G-Shock.

• Locked thread