Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

JRizzle posted:

TCU's offense is super fun to watch. They were my favorite team to watch last year because Maty Mauk made me want to die watching Mizzou on offense.

It pains me to say this, but someone with no stake in the Big 12 or either team will probably have more fun watching TCU's offense than Baylor's just because Boykin's mobility is a way way way bigger key to making that offense work than Bryce Petty's ever was to his - though Baylor's new starter Seth Russell has the kind of athleticism that might change that, and probably has more quality tools around him than Boykin does. Can't go wrong either way as a neutral observer, though. Both teams play hyper agressive, risky, and generally fun/quality football on both sides of the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

Detroit and Ford Field are officially bidding for CFP championship games from 2018-20.

Dare to dream.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spiritus Nox posted:

It pains me to say this, but someone with no stake in the Big 12 or either team will probably have more fun watching TCU's offense than Baylor's just because Boykin's mobility is a way way way bigger key to making that offense work than Bryce Petty's ever was to his - though Baylor's new starter Seth Russell has the kind of athleticism that might change that, and probably has more quality tools around him than Boykin does. Can't go wrong either way as a neutral observer, though. Both teams play hyper agressive, risky, and generally fun/quality football on both sides of the ball.

Who was TCU's OC in 2013? Because that man should step away from coaching immediately if he hasn't already.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

Who was TCU's OC in 2013? Because that man should step away from coaching immediately if he hasn't already.

Doug Meacham and Sonny Cumbie were co-OCs. I'd like to say Meacham was the primary play-caller, but I can't remember for sure.

EDIT: Oh, I'm dumb and can't read, you said 2013. Rusty Burns and Jarrett Anderson were in charge, both got their asses fired.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 14, 2015

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Didn't see it posted but Tennessee and Georgia Tech are gonna play in the 2017 Chik-Fil-A kickoff game in Atlanta.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

Detroit and Ford Field are officially bidding for CFP championship games from 2018-20.

I thought the championship had to be at one of the New Year's Six sites.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Henchman of Santa posted:

Wasn't the title game in Dallas?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dattserberg posted:

Wasn't the title game in Dallas?

Yeah, which is the site of the Cotton Bowl.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, which is the site of the Cotton Bowl.

Pshhh, who cares about that meaningless bowl

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nah, it's a Super Bowl style bidding process.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dattserberg posted:

Pshhh, who cares about that meaningless bowl

Not...me...

:smith:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Didn't see it posted but Tennessee and Georgia Tech are gonna play in the 2017 Chik-Fil-A kickoff game in Atlanta.

Game is gonna own, tbqh

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

That Works posted:

That's the Lorenzen memorial

:captainpop:

I'm not sure I like the double stripe in the middle either, but unlike Kidd-Liggett, I like the new UK logo. The prior logo had a narrow portion of the 'k' to fit under the edge of the 'u' and this one just seems more uniform.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Spiritus Nox posted:

TCU's offense is going to be loving terrifying, to the point that TCU probably doesn't need the 18th rated total defense and 8th rated scoring defense next year.

They probably didn't last year to be honest.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

KKKLIP ART posted:

Game is gonna own, tbqh

Yeah as a fan of a team that mentions both schools negatively in cheers/songs I will still be canceling all my plans to make sure I can watch that

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The new field is nice but what Kentucky really needs is for Patrick Towels to gain 120 pounds and somehow double his mobility but with a ballerina like running motion

God Lorenzen was fun to watch

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Metapod posted:

who are the teams that people without a team should be watching this year?

the ruthless bulldozer that is Arkansas

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

TCU's offense is going to be loving terrifying, to the point that TCU probably doesn't need the 18th rated total defense and 8th rated scoring defense next year.

I feel like TCU is due for a bad break

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Frackie Robinson posted:

After it happens be prepared for Patterson to whine to the press and make up something like a player from the other team threatened him. He is probably the whiniest coach in D1 football after unexpected losses.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Frackie Robinson posted:

a bad break like not getting to play in the playoffs?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Metapod posted:

a bad break like not getting to play in the playoffs?

No a bad break like Boykin regresses and 6 starters get injured or arrested during the offseason.

Winsanity
May 14, 2015

Space magic is the best magic
Everyone needs to make sure to watch out for OU this year. Can't be much worse than last year anyway. :smithicide:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
the only reason to watch ou is to see them lose so you can rub it in to all the ou fans

if you know any in real life ou fans i highly recommend doing that

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spacebump posted:

After it happens be prepared for Patterson to whine to the press and make up something like a player from the other team threatened him. He is probably the whiniest coach in D1 football after unexpected losses.

Yeah he sucks terribly but he also seems to be a really good coach.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Frackie Robinson posted:

No a bad break like Boykin regresses and 6 starters get injured or arrested during the offseason.

Insha'allah.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Spacebump posted:

imagine leach coachingTCU (for this hypothetical assume he doesn't gently caress with the offense or gameplan). :fap:

reminder of leach's postgame locker room talks after a win (W 20-13, TT vs. Baylor 2009)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEbEmsGVrco

~3:50 is the moneyshot

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 15, 2015

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Pakled posted:

Cincinatti using a Chipotle near the stadium as a selling point to recruits.

Athletes love chipotle. So I'd say its a great strategy.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

soggybagel posted:

Athletes love chipotle. So I'd say its a great strategy.

if you hold the rice/beans and do double meat it can be a loving fantastic workout meal with a ton of protein while still being delicious with salsa/pico/etc. you can certainly do worse and holy poo poo i'm excited for wazzu to bring one to the student rec center, which is without question one of the top 5 student rec centers in the country. it has fantastic equipment like jacob's ladders (if you're unfamiliar it's basically a ladder + a treadmill), ample basketball courts, bikes/kayaks/canoes/tents and more for free or cheap rental, tons of free weights, squat racks, bench and leg presses, qualified trainers around 24/7 for free help on form, regimen planning, and spotting, ecowell smoothie machines to customize a pre or post workout shake (you know those machines popping up where you can pick flavors of different coke products from a touch screen with like a million options? that was originally a wazzu grad project for designing smoothies and protein shakes at the rec center which they sold to coke for $20mil before graduating), live status updates on weight times for equipment or bball court availability, and then the real coup-de-grace and greatest thing ever: an hour-long swedish, deep-tissue, shiatsu, or other kind of massage by professionals for $20 that you can charge to the same student account book purchases. you bet you rear end i took some molly and got all the stress rubbed out of my body every goddamn day during finals week (the molly once, the massage daily)

anyway yeah tldr chipotle fuckin rules for workouts and athletics, wazzu owns, go cougs, and i'm gonna smoke a fat loving joint and get a swedish massage tomorrow

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Frackie Robinson posted:

They already had it in not making the playoffs. Gonna suck if they don't make it again this year. I feel like they could slip back into irrelevance so quickly; 2014 could be a real sore point for them for years to come.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Former Everything posted:

Kentucky unveiled the new turf design for Commonwealth Stadium today.

I like the new design and the turf is state of the art. UK's logo is changed slightly to be more uniform as well.

Several Tennessee fans are whining/laughing about the checkerboard end-zones. As a Tennessee fan I don't see the big deal. If it didn't have Kentucky across it, and if it was in blue and white, I could see it more as a direct copy. That said as it looks in the mock-up it is different enough.

Also bonus points if Butch Jones or a player makes a comment before the game (which is in Kentucky this year) about how they will feel right at home in checkerboard end-zones.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

nate fisher posted:

Several Tennessee fans are whining/laughing about the checkerboard end-zones. As a Tennessee fan I don't see the big deal. If it didn't have Kentucky across it, and if it was in blue and white, I could see it more as a direct copy. That said as it looks in the mock-up it is different enough.

The checkerboard design is supposed to "pay homage to Kentucky Derby winner Secretariat" and has been on the uniforms since 2011. The new field turf will just be an extension of that.

I've seen quite a bit of craziness from UT fans regarding the checkerboard design, but a fun fact to consider is that Kentucky's McLean Stadium/Stoll Field had checkerboard endzones back in the 1930's. I don't think UT adopted the look until the '60's.

At any rate, it's pretty dumb to claim "ownership" of a checkerboard pattern.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The checkerboard design is supposed to "pay homage to Kentucky Derby winner Secretariat" and has been on the uniforms since 2011. The new field turf will just be an extension of that.

I've seen quite a bit of craziness from UT fans regarding the checkerboard design, but a fun fact to consider is that Kentucky's McLean Stadium/Stoll Field had checkerboard endzones back in the 1930's. I don't think UT adopted the look until the '60's.

I agree. Tennessee actually dropped them and went 30 years without them (when I started watching the Vols they didn't have them) until 1989. Honestly Kentucky should of went blue and white with the checkerboard. I just don't care for the black as a field color.

But hey it's college football, people love to find anything to bitch about when it comes to another team. Also didn't Bama have checkerboard end-zones at one time?

God I just looked at Missouri's 2015 schedule, and they might have the easiest schedule in the East.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

No not really wrt to team colors and emblems and whatnot.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Both are inferior to UNC's argyle pattern

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

nate fisher posted:

Also didn't Bama have checkerboard end-zones at one time?

Honestly pretty shocked they haven't just made the end zone in houndstooth pattern.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

swickles posted:

Honestly pretty shocked they haven't just made the end zone in houndstooth pattern.

that would actually own and be cool so bama will never do it

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Alouicious posted:

that would actually own and be cool so bama will never do it

I would say Bama hates fun, but they hired Kiffin who owns for reasons that have nothing to do with bringing success to their offense.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Scarf posted:

Both are inferior to UNC's argyle pattern

I would agree if they just did the whole end-zone in argyle pattern. I'm not a fan so much of the team's name in the end-zone.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Didn't have it or didn't need it, do you mean?

Frackie Robinson posted:

Man, if anything at all happens to Boykin TCU might be done for the season. His mobility is so essential to keeping that offense going, the way it punishes people for not loading up the box and making it easier for Boykin to find an open throw. He's not even that good a passer - go back and watch some of his tape, he made tons and tons of completions just by heaving it up and hoping that either his tall receiver Doctson can win a jump ball or his fast one Listenbee can run under it before a defender gets there. And the better defenses really started to figure him out as the year went on - Baylor actually had decent stats against him when you adjust for the sheer pace and number of TCU drives in that game, WVU was this close to winning, and Texas and Ole Miss both actually performed pretty well on defense only to get roasted because of hideous days from their offense. Again, I'm a Baylor homer so I'm never gonna be too high on TCU, but when I look at some of the things that happened with their offense last year, from the brand new scheme on offense to some huge trick plays that came down in their favor to managing to keep a mobile QB like Boykin healthy all year (and not having to use any of their very much less heralded backups), plus the huge amount of production they lost in their secondary, I'm legitimately kind of skeptical that they won't have something of an OU-esque flop this year.

I mean, there's still a ton to like about this team: Even if that offense is overrated, it's still very, very good; those fades Boykin heaves up can work just fine when you've got a pair of receivers like Doctson and Listenbee; and if anyone can rebuild that secondary in a hurry Patterson's probably your guy. I just think there's some more serious question marks in there than it's getting credit for.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I miss Northwestern's checkerboard end zones, at least then there was something pleasant to look at.

• Locked thread