Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Radbot posted:

I never understood this. Friction is what's keeping the bike from lowsiding if you're weaving, so why isn't that friction warming the tires like accel/decel friction? Is it just an insignificant amount of friction?

Because it generates heat from tire carcass flex - which accel/decel does more of on motorcycle tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

KARMA! posted:

Mean girls.

CA: the irl un-cool dudes subforum of the irl cool dudes forum.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

Mean girls is a masterpiece you take that back

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Mean Girls is one of the best movies of all time and I prescribe that you smoke a fat bowl and watch it on Netflix immediately.

All of you.

Z3n posted:

:hfive:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

clutchpuck posted:

I think you've got that backwards, bro

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

clutchpuck posted:

I'm european, over here liking girly things is very manly.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Mean Girls was glorious, but I say Heathers is better.

Yeah, I said it.

Quick question about chain/sprocket replacement: do you think it's worth doing it myself, or should I bring it to a shop? I'm not super mechanical, but I'm not an idiot. I haven't removed the wheels on my bike, though, and I get the impression that I'd have to do that to replace the sprocket.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

BlackMK4 posted:

I think you've got that backwards, bro

Right. My bad.

Am I doing this right? .murof sedud looc lri eht fo murofbus sedud looc-nu lri eht :AC

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Lynza posted:

Mean Girls was glorious, but I say Heathers is better.

Yeah, I said it.

You dated yourself, gramma. :corsair:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Lynza posted:

Quick question about chain/sprocket replacement: do you think it's worth doing it myself, or should I bring it to a shop? I'm not super mechanical, but I'm not an idiot. I haven't removed the wheels on my bike, though, and I get the impression that I'd have to do that to replace the sprocket.

Replacing the sprocket is easy (at least on my drz it was) and can be accomplished with basic tools assuming you have an allen key of the right size and a good spanner set. If you've never replaced a chain before it's simple but can be a pain in the dick to get it to break at the right length and to cleanly set the rivet in the master link (especially with a lovely chain tool). A good chain tool costs about as much as the labour to get it done at a shop here in Aus so it's worthwhile to do it yourself but that might not be true in the land of freedom. You will have to remove the rear wheel to swap the sprockets.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KARMA! posted:

Mean girls.

Still don't get it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Slavvy posted:

Still don't get it.

yeah me neither

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

Still don't get it.

Girl kept trying to get the word 'fetch' popular by saying it a lot but got shot down. As the OP was saying to you about your use of 'hyoshit'.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Still don't get it.

You're missing out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0PpEoKHlO0

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Chichevache posted:

You dated yourself, gramma. :corsair:

Being correct doesn't automatically mean you're old. (Even though us old folks usually are right most of the time). :bahgawd:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Being correct doesn't automatically mean you're old. (Even though us old folks usually are right most of the time). :bahgawd:

That's an opinion, not a fact.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Chichevache posted:

That's an opinion, not a fact.

Maybe for you young'uns. Now git off mah lawn.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Four for you, Glen Chiche. You go Glen Chiche.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

nsaP posted:

hyoshit

Someone in NZ has been trying to make it happen since 2008:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/65105-Hyo-poo poo

Still not happening, because it isn't funny, witty, or even marginally creative wordplay.

The movie quote is funny because Tina Fey is rarely unfunny. The meme it begat can be funny in the right hands, as it's been adapted to mock anything that is overhyped yet doomed. Buell, for instance.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But but but I'm not trying to start anything, I call it that IRL :saddowns:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Personally, I would like Hyosung to make a supermoto and call it the DMZ

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Slavvy posted:

But but but I'm not trying to start anything, I call it that IRL :saddowns:

I know, no one actually thinks this or cares, it's just the Internet playing with itself. Because on CA, the limit does not exist.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Hyodung? Maybe?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I might have made nerdventure happen. Art least one other poster here has used that one.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Hyodung? Maybe?

That could happen.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Would that mean that riding one in a hooliganish manner, perhaps by doing wheelies across footbridges and burnouts in front of old womens' houses would be a 'Hyodong'? :haw:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EX250 Type R posted:

Personally, I would like Hyosung to make a supermoto and call it the DMZ

Coal powered :cool:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

I might have made nerdventure happen. Art least one other poster here has used that one.

I've used it, because I'm a bitter man.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Isn't that a big no-no for things like o-rings if you aren't lubing it after?
Yeah I forgot to mention that I lube it back up with 10w40 after cleaning it.

I don't like the sticky spray lubes because they tend to make dirt stick to the chain. With oil it just flings right off. The downside is that you need to reapply oil fairly often.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

Yeah I forgot to mention that I lube it back up with 10w40 after cleaning it.

I don't like the sticky spray lubes because they tend to make dirt stick to the chain. With oil it just flings right off. The downside is that you need to reapply oil fairly often.

Silicone lube is pretty good at not picking up dirt and not flinging everywhere. Chainsaw oil also works brilliantly if you can get hold of it cheaply.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Is there a thing I should be doing when I lube my chains so that there aren't giant grease spots on the rear wheel, or is that just something I should get over?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Frosty- posted:

Is there a thing I should be doing when I lube my chains so that there aren't giant grease spots on the rear wheel, or is that just something I should get over?

Apply less lube. After a while you'll get a feeling for how much you need, which is almost always way, way less than you actually apply. Also make sure you apply the lube only to the inside run of the chain, between the plates - anywhere else is wasted.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

You could also put a piece of cardboard between the wheel and the chain, if you're a giant careless slob like me.

Any goon opinions on cyclops led headlights? The one on the sv (a delkevic allegedly) kinda sucks. I want to blind people with 3800 lumens instead.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also make sure you apply the lube only to the inside run of the chain, between the plates - anywhere else is wasted.

Whaa? I've never heard this before - do you know why it's true?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Because that's the only point of friction within the chain?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Collateral Damage posted:

Because that's the only point of friction within the chain?

Is it? OK, I didn't know. Inside run means the side closest to the bike, right? Or are we talking about only applying lube to the parts within the chain, not the outside of it?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Radbot posted:

Is it? OK, I didn't know. Inside run means the side closest to the bike, right? Or are we talking about only applying lube to the parts within the chain, not the outside of it?
You want to apply your lube between the plates of the chain, on both sides of it.

You could apply some to the rollers as well, in theory it could reduce sprocket wear but I've never heard anyone advocate it. If you're using spray lube you'll probably get it all over the place anyway.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 15, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Having just lubed up with spray a couple days ago I can attest that yes, there is absolutely no way to not get it everywhere.

Some green poo poo, I don't know. I tried to find actual oil but nowhere near me sells any with proper SAE marks on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Apply less lube. After a while you'll get a feeling for how much you need, which is almost always way, way less than you actually apply. Also make sure you apply the lube only to the inside run of the chain, between the plates - anywhere else is wasted.
OK, I can see how I'd be applying too much. I just use a Grease Ninja and pres butan.

M42 posted:

You could also put a piece of cardboard between the wheel and the chain, if you're a giant careless slob like me.
I am a careless slob.