Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Way of the Samurai 4 made some steps forward and some steps backward, and I'd also say that the third was my favorite. 4 isn't so bad so long as you're the kind of person who can stay away from content that just isn't worth the pain, tedium or grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

When the gently caress is 4's PC port coming out.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
The last update I could find was Ghostlight saying the release date was pushed to sometime last March and they've been mum about it since so I guess something horrifying happened.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The horrifying thing already happened, it's called Ghostlight.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ImpAtom posted:

The simplest solution isn't always the most effective though, and even on a first playthrough there are optional bosses who show that off. A lot of people tend to go "I won the fight, so that's all I need to do." Which isn't inaccurate but doesn't mean you didn't have other options that could have made the fight go faster. If the fights are taking three times as long it is because you're using the wrong things, not because those mechanics don't work.

They probably should have made the harder modes available from the start but there's actually a fair amount you can do in the game and multiple ways to engage things.

I don't actually remember much about the game, but when I was playing it, it didn't seem like doing the same thing every time was the simple and lazy method, but instead the best possible solution to every problem. And it was kind of complicated too.

Maybe I was missing something huge, and again I don't really remember how it worked at this point, but I just don't recall the enemies having enough variety to justify ever doing anything different. Just make triangles and run in circles shooting forever.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

HGH posted:

The horrifying thing already happened, it's called Ghostlight.

To be fair, Ghostlight seems to do PC ports alright, but from what another goon has said, the engine WoTS 4 is based on is very weird and keeps cropping up weird bugs every time they make a change to it. The programmer is probably busy getting drunk as we speak.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

I don't actually remember much about the game, but when I was playing it, it didn't seem like doing the same thing every time was the simple and lazy method, but instead the best possible solution to every problem. And it was kind of complicated too.

Maybe I was missing something huge, and again I don't really remember how it worked at this point, but I just don't recall the enemies having enough variety to justify ever doing anything different. Just make triangles and run in circles shooting forever.

Enemies have vulnerable points that you can specifically exploit, have armor that can be broken, have elemental weaknesses, ect, ect. If all you did was make a random triangle and run around in it then you were doing way less damage than you could have.

I mean, yeah, the point of the game is setting up Tri Attacks so you have maximum range and timing, so you're doing a lot of Tri Attacks regardless, but there's a difference between a good tri attack and a bad tri attack and times when tri attacks are not actually what you want to do.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ImpAtom posted:

Enemies have vulnerable points that you can specifically exploit, have armor that can be broken, have elemental weaknesses, ect, ect. If all you did was make a random triangle and run around in it then you were doing way less damage than you could have.

I mean, yeah, the point of the game is setting up Tri Attacks so you have maximum range and timing, so you're doing a lot of Tri Attacks regardless, but there's a difference between a good tri attack and a bad tri attack and times when tri attacks are not actually what you want to do.

They weren't random triangles, they were well thought-out triangles. I also remember some kind of combo bonus that made bullets later in the combo do ridiculously more damage than earlier ones...?

Well, if those are the kinds of things you're thinking about, then I guess the game is just as repetitive as I remember.

Edit: Complicated is not the opposite of repetitive. That just makes it worse, really.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 18, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

They weren't random triangles, they were well thought-out triangles. I also remember some kind of combo bonus that made bullets later in the combo do ridiculously more damage than earlier ones...?

I'm utterly bewildered by what you mean then because you're not making any sense.

Yes, in an RPG, you repeat many of the same actions in the combat system a number of times. In video games in general you will repeat the same actions a number of times. If you're expecting not to do that in a video game then I don't know what to say. The difference is that there is variation in what you're setting up and how you're setting it up. If you're doing "well though out triangles" then you're plotting your attacks to hit the enemy's weak points, break their armor, knock them up and keeping your characters from taking critical damage while doing so. I'm not really clear how that is somehow abnormally repetitive for a video game.

You seem to be using 'repetitive' to mean something I can't understand. v:shobon:v What is a non-repetitive RPG to you?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 18, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Decided to fire up a game I got in a bundle, Realms of Arkania HD

thanks indie bundles

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Decided to fire up a game I got in a bundle, Realms of Arkania HD

thanks indie bundles

Indie bundle games are the best games.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Typically you gain abilities or systems that make a combat system more complex and challenging as time goes on and you master the fundamentals. Resonance of Fate is almost the same at the beginning as it is at the end with two main wrinkles.

The first is dual-wielding a handgun and a SMG, which is generally less efficient than if you don't, but hey, it's something.

The second is having more bezels to work with, but it's more like you start with a cripplingly low number and adding more after a certain point is completely superfluous.

These are the only things that make you actually play differently. Customization and ammo types and personal skills are just numerical optimization.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I wish saves weren't encoded so one could simply start up a new RoF game with the difficulty options unlocked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Francis posted:

Typically you gain abilities or systems that make a combat system more complex and challenging as time goes on and you master the fundamentals. Resonance of Fate is almost the same at the beginning as it is at the end with two main wrinkles.

RoF does this too. It introduces enemies with special defenses or arenas that are more complex to traverse or special gimmicks. (Some of which do legitimately suck, see: any stage where you don't have 3 party members.)

Francis posted:

These are the only things that make you actually play differently. Customization and ammo types and personal skills are just numerical optimization.

That... really doesn't make sense. Can't you apply this to a huge number of RPGs on the market then? Curaga isn't meaningfully different from Cure and Fire isn't meaningfully different from Ice. Customization and numerical optimization are a big part of a lot of games. Narrowing it down to "that doesn't count because I said so" doesn't really make sense.

Rascyc posted:

I wish saves weren't encoded so one could simply start up a new RoF game with the difficulty options unlocked.

Yeah, it's really annoying you can't just start with the higher difficulties unlocked. It's dumb to lock them at all honestly.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Curaga isn't meaningfully different from Cure

Curaga can be balanced against Cure in many ways: casting time, potency, resource cost, and so on. You have tradeoffs both between two different benefits and between a benefit and a drawback. If the answer is always the same, the system is bad. The only tradeoff in RoF is more DPS vs. less DPS, and less DPS is never the answer.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Francis posted:

Curaga can be balanced against Cure in many ways: casting time, potency, resource cost, and so on. You have tradeoffs both between two different benefits and between a benefit and a drawback. If the answer is always the same, the system is bad. The only tradeoff in RoF is more DPS vs. less DPS, and less DPS is never the answer.
Not trying to call you out or anything, but I've only ever seen you post to say you dislike something and give reasons why. What are things you like?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Francis posted:

Except that isn't how it works at all.

Like even ignoring everything else there's actually valid reasons to go for lower damage attacks in RoF because it allows you to get better loot and drops. It also ignores that "more DPS vs less DPS" isn't how it works and there's a number of factors to consider when deciding how to get the highest damage output. Yes, you are always aiming for the most damaging attacks possible in RoF, but setting up those attacks is part of the game and there are different ways to set up those damaging attacks with different investments of resources.

As I said, a lot of this stands out more on the higher difficulty modes where making the right choices is a lot more critical because you have to overcome more significant barriers. If you don't understand the mechanics, including positioning, enemy vulnerability windows, and other such things, you're going to get stepped on. RoF is a lot about positioning and timing, not just straight DPS. It's a legitimate flaw that the game locks those harder difficulty modes away but the combat system's strengths shine a lot more on them.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 18, 2015

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

As I said, a lot of this stands out more on the higher difficulty modes where making the right choices is a lot more critical because you have to overcome more significant barriers. If you don't understand the mechanics, including positioning, enemy vulnerability windows, and other such things, you're going to get stepped on. RoF is a lot about positioning and timing, not just straight DPS. It's a legitimate flaw that the game locks those harder difficulty modes away but the combat system's strengths shine a lot more on them.

Look, I understand how NG+ could end up being more interesting despite being a really dull bonus to HP and damage since the vanilla game is insanely easy and defensive strategy (or milking enemies for money and loot) almost never comes into play at all. I can't speak to it since I've never played it and never will.

Just consider that you're effectively treating the entire game as a kind of tutorial one must suffer through to get to the good part. Resonance of Fate is not a short game by any means, so that's what, fifty hours? Two and a half Final Fantasy XIIIs.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Not trying to call you out or anything, but I've only ever seen you post to say you dislike something and give reasons why. What are things you like?

Francis posted:

rocket slime owns

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Francis posted:

Just consider that you're effectively treating the entire game as a kind of tutorial one must suffer through to get to the good part. Resonance of Fate is not a short game by any means, so that's what, fifty hours? Two and a half Final Fantasy XIIIs.

Not really, no. It isn't like FFXIII where you don't get access to poo poo for a long time. The combat is simple enough that you're not required to do poo poo to succeed but that doesn't mean it isn't available, and this falls into the same niche as a lot of other RPGs.. It isn't a case where it's a game-length tutorial. It's a case where it's perhaps a too-easy game but there are ways to get around that. (Going for low-level runs as someone mentioned earlier in the thread for example.)

And this is a fairly common problem with RPGs where it's possible to get through them without fully understanding the mechanics because the game is designed to not get people stuck (and also so that you can grind through things.) You can still enjoy the mechanics even if the game isn't hard enough to demand them. That's half the fun of the Four Job Fiesta and so-on.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 18, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I honestly find it impossible to really talk turkey when it comes to RoF because it's hard to tell not only who actually finished the game, but how they finished it. It's very easy to over level in the game but also very easy to under level. On the flip side it's easy to offset that gap, in either direction, through creative gun mechanics.

The difficulty doesn't really ramp up until near the end of the game when enemies can start inflicting status debuffs in addition to HP. Also you have things like armor piercing bullets which completely negate some boss designs.

RoF has good systems and interactions in play. The problem is really in the provided content boring most people in the mid-game. I feel like if they did ratchet up the difficulty though, people would still have quit the game because it sort of has that Shin Megami Tensei feeling where you're feast/famine and in my experience, people hate to be the victim of the famine consistently!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

RoF's combat system just flew straight over my head and I couldn't get into it. I liked the way the story from what I played was more "Hey watch these bumbling fucks get around in life" then a deep story. Is there like a proper guide to combat somewhere?

So after trying about an hour of different RPGs I just ended up playing Dragon Quarter again and just planning to do a single run without giving up in it. So far it seems only the very beginning was actually difficult, once you get NIna you start blitzing stuff with traps.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I could never finish RoF because of the map tile mechanic. Grinding for pieces got tedious fast.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
One of RoF's biggest flaws is that once you start losing a battle it's almost impossible for you to recover. If you can't keep breaking off bits or armor, or something throws your movement off for a turn or two you can lose your bezels and then be unable to dash around. The game wants you to pick up the shards before the enemies do, since they get a health boost from stealing them, but you can't move quickly and enemies keep shooting at you while you try to run. It makes it so that once you go over the edge and get into the danger zone, it's best to reset the battle if you can.

There's also the parts where you have to defend something, I think it was a statue? It follows a path through a few rooms and enemies keep shooting it with rocket launchers. It was a pain in the rear end.

I still really like the game though. Wish I had beaten it before my 360 crapped the bed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Indie bundle games are the best games.

My Elf got seduced by a barmaid and she made him clean up their wine cellar, then didn't sleep with him.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

My Elf got seduced by a barmaid and she made him clean up their wine cellar, then didn't sleep with him.

Possibly one of the more accurate representations of barmaids in a game.

On RoF: I thought it was boring watching my brother play it. And if I've learned anything from sibling gameplay, if something is boring to watch, then it's worse when you add in the tedium of playing it.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I do appreciate any RPG where the townsfolk don't just let you in just to meander around their house.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
If your brother made RoF look boring, he was doing something very wrong.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Corn, I thought it was really cool earlier when you posted screenshots of Realms of Arkadia HD and gave context and purpose to the post. What you just did is not cool though, and I wish you would reconsider your approach.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Can anyone recommend a (preferably PC, turn-based) long RPG that doesn't punish you for making mistakes building your character? I.e. the ability to either respec or just learn everything so mistakes with stats are not irreversible. I've played all of the ES games. I've been into the Spiderweb games lately, but levels come slowly and you cannot redo any of your stat or skill points.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Picked up Grandia III without knowing anything about the series and hoo boy, is this game pretty. :allears:

Yuki's big sister (okay, mom but even the game points out that she looks and acts like his sister) is the only interesting character and since she's a higher level, she's probably gonna ditch the party. Weak.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
You are correct

That game frustrates the hell out of me. The combat system itself is fun, and I like the detail put into everything up to the NPC dialogue, but the difficulty curve is super easy to snap in half and the story is so unremarkable that I don't know why they included cutscenes at all.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Wendell posted:

Corn, I thought it was really cool earlier when you posted screenshots of Realms of Arkadia HD and gave context and purpose to the post. What you just did is not cool though, and I wish you would reconsider your approach.

That is a screenshot of Newcomer. It is a C64 homebrew RPG, which is very good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

By the way, the remake of RoA is not on sale anywhere but the original trilogy is very cheap at gamersgate right now:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-ROATCB/realms-of-arkania-trilogy-classic-bundle

1 is incredibly dated and hard to recommend, but RoA3 is a cool game and worth picking up if you don't mind some oldschool stuff.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

68k posted:

Can anyone recommend a (preferably PC, turn-based) long RPG that doesn't punish you for making mistakes building your character? I.e. the ability to either respec or just learn everything so mistakes with stats are not irreversible. I've played all of the ES games. I've been into the Spiderweb games lately, but levels come slowly and you cannot redo any of your stat or skill points.

Since you're interested in Spiderweb's stuff, I figure you'd like to know that the Avadon games do have a respec feature. It normally gets unlocked about halfway through each game, but you can access it earlier via a cheat code: hit Shift-D on your keyboard and type retrain in the box that appears.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Gamma Nerd posted:

You are correct

That game frustrates the hell out of me. The combat system itself is fun, and I like the detail put into everything up to the NPC dialogue, but the difficulty curve is super easy to snap in half and the story is so unremarkable that I don't know why they included cutscenes at all.

That's kind of a thing with Grandia. Parts I and II also had good combat systems, but rather bland stories with no surprises. Grandia is a series where you fight monsters while enyoing the pretty graphics, while also trying your hardest not to roll your eyes at every cut scene. Grandia II is the best part of the series, since the protagonist is incredibly sarcastic, which fits my own reaction to a Grandia-storyline perfectly.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Celery Face posted:

Picked up Grandia III without knowing anything about the series and hoo boy, is this game pretty. :allears:

Yuki's big sister (okay, mom but even the game points out that she looks and acts like his sister) is the only interesting character and since she's a higher level, she's probably gonna ditch the party. Weak.

Wait, holy poo poo I've seriously spent how many years thinking people were referring to Grandia Xtreme as Grandia III holy poo poo there's actually a Grandia III

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Wait, holy poo poo I've seriously spent how many years thinking people were referring to Grandia Xtreme as Grandia III holy poo poo there's actually a Grandia III
not a fan of wikipedia huh

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Endorph posted:

not a fan of wikipedia huh

you got me, I was too dumb to wikipedia a cutting edge PS2 RPG released in TYOOL 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Grandia III a real puzzle for me. It's probably one of the better looking PS2 games (models aside), the combat is the best version of Grandia combat but the story and characters just drag it down so badly. I have never been able to finish it because it's just so boring in comparison to 1 and 2.