Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Chichevache posted:

I'm phone posting so this will be brief, but I absolutely love both The Killing and The Fall right now. What's another good, slow, dark murder mystery procedural on netflix? I'm not looking for Law and Order, btw.

The Killing is a decent idea that got stretched way too long. I mean you mention Law and Order but tbh the entire series would've worked better as a 2 part episode on there. I also thought The Fall was kinda meh, especially everything after the first season.

For suggestions try Broadchurch (which I believe is still up on Netflix). Happy Valley's another british cop show that's solid imo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Den is by far the best of all those movies. As for those still on Netflix, I believe Toad Road, Grave Encounters 2, Apartment 143 and Apollo 18 are all still up.
Don't think Toad Road is on netflix anymore, but I think Hulu and Fandor have it if you have access to either of those. It's also not really found footage imo but still good. The actual "real" story surrounding it also gives an air of melancholy to the movie. Grave Encounters 2 is actually kinda cool as well, just because it actually kinda plays with the conceit of the first one and the genre in general.

Also The Conspiracy is my fav found footage film, but I think that's off netflix now (if not I fully recommend that, it's awesome).

Also if you're really a novice to the genre, I think REC is still up and is probably one of the better ones in general.

Chichevache posted:

Since I didn't get any good recommendations for police/murder shows, I watched The Following. I blame all of you, you fucks. I'm never getting that brainspace back.
dude you gotta give some time for people to reply! check the ones i mentioned. I guess Hannibal may also fit that criteria as well, although it's less a murder mystery than a murders mystery. It's really good though and somehow is shown on network tv.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

alansmithee posted:

The Killing is a decent idea that got stretched way too long. I mean you mention Law and Order but tbh the entire series would've worked better as a 2 part episode on there. I also thought The Fall was kinda meh, especially everything after the first season.

For suggestions try Broadchurch (which I believe is still up on Netflix). Happy Valley's another british cop show that's solid imo.

Don't think Toad Road is on netflix anymore, but I think Hulu and Fandor have it if you have access to either of those. It's also not really found footage imo but still good. The actual "real" story surrounding it also gives an air of melancholy to the movie. Grave Encounters 2 is actually kinda cool as well, just because it actually kinda plays with the conceit of the first one and the genre in general.

Also The Conspiracy is my fav found footage film, but I think that's off netflix now (if not I fully recommend that, it's awesome).

Also if you're really a novice to the genre, I think REC is still up and is probably one of the better ones in general.

dude you gotta give some time for people to reply! check the ones i mentioned. I guess Hannibal may also fit that criteria as well, although it's less a murder mystery than a murders mystery. It's really good though and somehow is shown on network tv.

24 hours is plenty of time for people to reply! This thread is often very active!

I started Broadchurch and it is alright. Having a bit of trouble accepting David Tennant in the role, and I'm a (non-Who) fan of his.

The Killing is absolutely drawn out too long. At this point I'm just excited to start the next murder (season 3). There is definitely a lot of potential in the show, it just needs a but of trimming. I'm hoping they improve that or else I won't continue.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Broadchurch was garbage (although Colman was, as usual, very good) and it's obvious about three episodes in whodunnit.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Broadchurch was garbage (although Colman was, as usual, very good) and it's obvious about three episodes in whodunnit.

Lol I disagree.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I came to Broadchurch after Southcliffe and pretty much anything would pale in comparison so I didn't want to be unkind to it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

alansmithee posted:

Both Toad Road and The Conspiracy are both on there still.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Broadchurch is pretty good though?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magnus Gallant posted:

Broadchurch is pretty good though?

It's alright. Certainly not as good as Fargo or Trudy Tective. Or Southcliffe.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

It's alright. Certainly not as good as Fargo or Trudy Tective. Or Southcliffe.

it's easily better than true detective based on the fact it's not horrible.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

alansmithee posted:

Alright.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

alansmithee posted:

Why, in your opinion, was true detective horrible?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Magnus Gallant posted:

They obviously lied about Cthulu.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magnus Gallant posted:

it was too good. i don't trust it, myself.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This is why cop shows are formulaic to the point of exhaustion.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

This is why cop shows are formulaic to the point of exhaustion.

What is why the cop shows are formulaic?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magnus Gallant posted:

What is why the cop shows are formulaic?

That something even slightly out of the way like True Detective is "horrible" in favor of a well acted but completely formulaic cop drama.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chichevache posted:

Since I didn't get any good recommendations for police/murder shows, I watched The Following. I blame all of you, you fucks. I'm never getting that brainspace back.

Did you watch Low Winter Sun yet? Pretty decent IMO.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

That something even slightly out of the way like True Detective is "horrible" in favor of a well acted but completely formulaic cop drama.

True Detective was formulaic. It just threw in a bunch of nonsense through the middle to pretend like there was something different and/or interesting going on. Also Rust Cohle was maybe the least realistic character I've ever seen in any show claiming to be a drama-he was essentially a parody of every tv anti-hero of the last 10 years or so. Idk the whole thing seemed like something written by a high school kid and what he thought would be cool. I will say I enjoyed the setting and thought it was wonderfully filmed, and Woody Harrelson seemed to do his best with a character that seemed designed to be little more than a sounding board for Mcconaughey's goofy monologues. Honestly I thought it would've worked better as a comedy.

Although maybe that's the point and the whole thing is supposed to be a satire/parody of cop shows, which if that was the case consider me wooshed.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

That Works posted:

Did you watch Low Winter Sun yet? Pretty decent IMO.

I did. I really love the cast and tone. This would be a great rec if I hadn't gone through it already.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

alansmithee posted:

True Detective was formulaic. It just threw in a bunch of nonsense through the middle to pretend like there was something different and/or interesting going on. Also Rust Cohle was maybe the least realistic character I've ever seen in any show claiming to be a drama-he was essentially a parody of every tv anti-hero of the last 10 years or so. Idk the whole thing seemed like something written by a high school kid and what he thought would be cool. I will say I enjoyed the setting and thought it was wonderfully filmed, and Woody Harrelson seemed to do his best with a character that seemed designed to be little more than a sounding board for Mcconaughey's goofy monologues. Honestly I thought it would've worked better as a comedy.

Although maybe that's the point and the whole thing is supposed to be a satire/parody of cop shows, which if that was the case consider me wooshed.

much like the chaos of charcosa, which threatens to rend apart the thin veil of self-deception and expose our true spiritual corrosion

so too has your post shown that words, time and opinions themselves hold no meaning

(It's cool if you didn't like it though. I will allow it.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Magnus Gallant posted:

He said The Conspiracy is a good movie, I think you can ignore that opinion.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

I found all of these really entertaining:

The Den
Troll Hunter
Oculus
Devils Pass

Troll hunter is amazing. I've watched it several times and it never gets old.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

precision posted:

I would argue that calling it a movie is misleading it more sequential bullshit trapped digitally.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

precision posted:

:laffo: I totally missed that he mentioned that crock.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

alansmithee posted:

Oh, okay.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Cole's monologues are suppose to be goofy and him loving with the other characters. His character acts like a parody of anti-heroes because the only way he can cope with the horrible poo poo he has to deal with on his job, is to try to delude himself into the bullshit he is saying. Because that is much easier to do than to say the stuff he really believes in the face of THE HORROR he sees on a daily basis.

i like rust

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

mr.capps posted:

Cole's monologues are suppose to be goofy and him loving with the other characters.

Actually they're supposed to be unsourced quotes of indie horror writer, Thomas Ligotti.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Actually they're supposed to be unsourced quotes of indie horror writer, Thomas Ligotti.

And also comics writer Alan Moore, hilariously enough.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There are deleted scenes of cole reading archie comics after putting down the alan moore book

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
A guy plagiarizes one season of a tv show and you people won't let it go.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

alansmithee posted:

I kinda like True Detective but I also kinda agree with this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's such a halfassed opinion. It's like agreeing with a horoscope.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just watched Parallels on netflix and wow what a good sci fi movie. It plays kind of like a tv show, and a tv show is hopefully in the works. I'd really like to see where they can take this story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyknfocH8t4

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like True Detective but not nearly as much as some people seem to. The things it does well it doest really loving well but those things makes the times things play out exactly like you've seen in every other version this story and the times where it feels a bit repetitive all the worse. Still calling it bad seems inaccurate at best. Even if you didn't connect with it it's so well done on just a acting and technical level that you still can't really call it bad.

As a side note I just want to mention I really did not like The Conspiracy. I've certainly seen worse found footage movies but that's more because I have seen some really impressively bad found footage movies. In general the use of real footage of people dying to back up it's fake conspiracy, even if it's rather common footage like 9/11, did not sit well with me. Even outside of that it just felt too close to what people actually believe when really it could have gone hog loving wild with it. Hell, it didn't even use the good stuff people actually believe. At least give me lizard people or something.

Harminoff posted:

wow what a good sci fi movie. It plays kind of like a tv show

These two sentiments don't really go together all that well in my mind.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 20, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Seemed like another bad pilot to me.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

Just watched Parallels on netflix and wow what a good sci fi movie. It plays kind of like a tv show, and a tv show is hopefully in the works. I'd really like to see where they can take this story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyknfocH8t4

It was a pilot for a show that never took off. I had a feeling about that towards the end when it was clear none of the main characters was going to die. Serial sci-fi TV shows are huge on that "no main character is ever actually in mortal danger" thing, so it was a dead giveaway.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I like True Detective but not nearly as much as some people seem to. The things it does well it doest really loving well but those things makes the times things play out exactly like you've seen in every other version this story and the times where it feels a bit repetitive all the worse. Still calling it bad seems inaccurate at best. Even if you didn't connect with it it's so well done on just a acting and technical level that you still can't really call it bad.

As a side note I just want to mention I really did not like The Conspiracy. I've certainly seen worse found footage movies but that's more because I have seen some really impressively bad found footage movies. In general the use of real footage of people dying to back up it's fake conspiracy, even if it's rather common footage like 9/11, did not sit well with me. Even outside of that it just felt too close to what people actually believe when really it could have gone hog loving wild with it. Hell, it didn't even use the good stuff people actually believe. At least give me lizard people or something.

I thought the acting was fine in True Detective, excepting Rust and since the whole show was so dominated by him it spoiled a lot of the other performances. Dude seemed like the mary sue project of a teen who just discovered Nietzsche. As I mentioned though the actual filming was great-everything looked amazing and from what everyone's said it was an "authentic" picture of the area.

Really surprised so many people here disliked The Conspiracy. I've not really seen any negative reviews around, and although I'll fully admit it has problems I thought they did a decent job. And I actually liked that it was really close to what a lot of people believe, it gave it more of a "real" feeling rather than having totally bizarre. It also kinda reminded me a bit of Kill List, which I liked a lot too.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

BJPaskoff posted:

It was a pilot for a show that never took off. I had a feeling about that towards the end when it was clear none of the main characters was going to die. Serial sci-fi TV shows are huge on that "no main character is ever actually in mortal danger" thing, so it was a dead giveaway.

Someone really wanted to remake Sliders, but didn't want to do a remote control again. Too obvious. So how about a big ol' building instead?

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015

madpanda posted:

I just watched V/H/S and it's sequel over the weekend. What else might I like in the found footage genre?

I really can't deal with sexual violence or animal cruelty stuff. Had to turn abc's of death off halfway through.

Also Blue Velvet is on netflix if anyone hasn't seen that. As a Twin Peaks fan, this was a nice surprise. Dennis Hopper is goddamn terrifying as Frank.

Creep was one of my favourite films of last year and one of the best horror flicks i've seen in a while. Great use of the found footage thing. It was just announced that Netflix will be releasing it soon. Keep an eye out, the director's next has Adam Scott and Jason Schwartzman wearing prosthetic penis', so that may also count as horror if you happen to find any footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So I just watched Toad Road and uh, drat. Hit way too close to home for me, but what a hypnotic film. It's been classified as "horror" but it's... really not at all. It has a somewhat similar aesthetic to Resolution but is much more grounded in reality, and also much more hosed up, at the same time. One thing is that I genuinely don't know if it would be nearly as effective to someone who has never taken LSD or mushrooms or any heavy psychedelic, because understanding how those drugs feel is extremely key to the "horror" the film presents.

I also love the ending, and how completely loving ballsy of an ending it is. The film gives no way of knowing what was real past the first 30 minutes or so. Once they enter the woods, it's completely up in the air whether James coming out of the woods "months later" was just part of his trip or not. Even the last scene, with him waking up in the snow, isn't a definitive answer to that question - and even if it is, if the snow was meant to be the "seventh gate" and the whole section of him returning and Sara not returning was the sixth gate, the film doesn't show us what happens when you pass through the seventh gate, or if you even can.

OK, now that I've written out all that, I guess it is a horror film, in the sense of being total existential horror.