Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

MONKET posted:

Honestly does, especially considering the story and how it ends and its overall gloomy atmosphere.

Doomguy, unable to cope with his Hell-born PTSD, descends into a spiral of madness where he both has nonstop nightmares of the devilspawn he faced but also longs to massacre them. He is given one final mission: Kill every single demon still alive. After finally killing the Mother Demon, Doomguy knows drat well he'll never adjust to modern life, and so he actually stays in Hell, forever pursuing his one-man hellspawn genocide. :stare:

I also really loving hope they actually call this game Doom 4 instead of just Doom. That would piss me off to no end.

I love how in Quake 3 all of Doom guys quotes are along the lines of 'loving mental'. Not in a Rip and Tear way. Just absolutely mental.

edit:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-3-general/2967-quake-3s-doom-bot-chat/

"They died in my arms. So many lost friends...but they're with me now."
"He cried, you know. Said he didn't want to die. Then he did."
"Get out of me! Oh, they won't shut up!"
"They had cold hands, too. So cold."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, what's the WAD that lets me play Doom 64 on the PC Doom engine? I need to play this.

Doom64Ex as the others have said. IMO Doom64 doesn't feel as fast-paced as Doom 1/2, but the small details like new sounds, colored lighting and a dark ambient soundtrack all create one of the thickest atmospheres I've played in an FPS. Plus I always thought the level design in 64 was overall much better than the original two, but that could just be me. The levels seem to have more traps and flexibility about them, always catching you off-guard by throwing open walls or collapsing the floors underneath your feet right when you least expect it.

maev posted:

I love how in Quake 3 all of Doom guys quotes are along the lines of 'loving mental'. Not in a Rip and Tear way. Just absolutely mental.

edit:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-3-general/2967-quake-3s-doom-bot-chat/

"He cried, you know. Said he didn't want to die. Then he did."
"They had cold hands, too. So cold."

"For just a moment, your sweet screams of agony made the voices stop."
"They all die! Isn't that enough! How many more will be thrown at me?"

Jesus, you weren't kidding. Poor Doomguy's lost his goddamn mind. This is something I actually do hope they incorporate in the new game without shoveling too much plot or cutscenes in.

Douk Douk fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 20, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

maev posted:

They lose a little bit in the PS2 version's unfortunate decision to voice-act the bot banter.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

catlord posted:

Holy poo poo, that other Blake Stone source port has taken leaps and bounds ahead of where it was when I last checked. You can play with modern controls! It has support for both Planet Strike and Aliens of Gold! You can turn of the wall hit sounds of you want! No widescreen it looks like, but other than that it's basically ECBlake.

It's here!

Oh neat! I was able to compile it and it seems to work great. It's setup with WASD keys by default and runs really well. Does anyone know exactly what data file I need to copy from a Aliens of Gold install? I copied everything over for now but I think it probably just needs one or two of the .bs6 files.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Oh neat! I was able to compile it and it seems to work great. It's setup with WASD keys by default and runs really well. Does anyone know exactly what data file I need to copy from a Aliens of Gold install? I copied everything over for now but I think it probably just needs one or two of the .bs6 files.
It needs all of the .BS6 files.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
When you decide to play Doom 64EX, go ahead and crank your gamma to max and then max out the brightness in the game too. It's possibly the darkest game I've ever played.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

catlord posted:

Holy poo poo, that other Blake Stone source port has taken leaps and bounds ahead of where it was when I last checked. You can play with modern controls! It has support for both Planet Strike and Aliens of Gold! You can turn of the wall hit sounds of you want! No widescreen it looks like, but other than that it's basically ECBlake.

It's here!

Next step: ECCorr7!

Just kidding, nobody liked Corridor 7 except for me :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MONKET posted:

Jesus, you weren't kidding. Poor Doomguy's lost his goddamn mind.

quote:

"You were there, on Phobos. I saw you running away. I found you now."

:stare:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

catlord posted:

It's here!

That's awesome! I have a soft spot for Blake Stone, but I stopped playing after beating Episode 4. This source port sounds like a great excuse to finish it up.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
while we're talking about DOOM ports, trying to remember what exactly was unique to the Saturn & PSX versions of DOOM, and FINAL DOOM(I do remember they differ from the original versions), also wondering if there's a WAD/Conversion for those versions

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 20, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

while we're talking about DOOM ports, trying to remember what exactly was unique to the Saturn & PSX versions of DOOM, and FINAL DOOM(I do remember they differ from the original versions), also wondering if there's a WAD/Conversion for those versions
PSX Doom had entirely redone audio (spooky ambience instead of midi rock), colored lighting, reverb effects, and generally simplified level geometry. It contains most of the maps from Doom 1 and 2, along with eight or so new maps. It's a pretty solid port. PSX Final Doom does the same deal to a selection of TNT, Plutonia and Master Levels maps. There's a GZDoom mod that ports over the modified maps etc. and general experience to the PC here.

Saturn Doom is based on PSX Doom, but with a way worse framerate and less visual effects. Not really worth perusing.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

catlord posted:

It's here!

Goddamn I forgot how you absolutely can't hit poo poo with the starting pistol, and the second one. Great to see this port finally done, it really makes this awesome game much more playable and faster and ultimately better. Now if someone would code the radar/automap system from PS into AOG, now that would be perfect.

Wild T posted:

I liked C7 :hfive: I would really like to see some kind of crossover game with Blake Stone's features mixed with Corridor 7. C7 had terrible levels, though, while both BS games levels are quite well done for the time and limited engine - they have distinct sections with various themes and structure, so even without using the automap system getting lost isn't much of a problem.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

maev posted:

MONKET posted:

Yeah, that's what you get for picking up all these soulspheres.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Maybe now Blake will get his long overdue love. Bobby Prince's music in that game is eternal.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MONKET posted:

Doom64Ex as the others have said. IMO Doom64 doesn't feel as fast-paced as Doom 1/2, but the small details like new sounds, colored lighting and a dark ambient soundtrack all create one of the thickest atmospheres I've played in an FPS. Plus I always thought the level design in 64 was overall much better than the original two, but that could just be me. The levels seem to have more traps and flexibility about them, always catching you off-guard by throwing open walls or collapsing the floors underneath your feet right when you least expect it.

"They all die! Isn't that enough! How many more will be thrown at me?"

Jesus, you weren't kidding. Poor Doomguy's lost his goddamn mind. This is something I actually do hope they incorporate in the new game without shoveling too much plot or cutscenes in.

It'd be great if the new Doom is happening because the original marine found a way to replicate the demons, because he just has to keep fighting them (it's his life's purpose).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Doomguy is the most metal son of a bitch in all of videogames. The ending if Doom64 is just perfect: sick of going back to earth just to have it invaded by demons again he decides to stay in hell for eternity to keep the population in check.

It would be neat if the plot of Doom 4 built on that, but I doubt it will ever happen.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
drat, those demon bastards are gonna pay for shooting up my ride.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Mak0rz posted:

Doomguy is the most metal son of a bitch in all of videogames. The ending if Doom64 is just perfect: sick of going back to earth just to have it invaded by demons again he decides to stay in hell for eternity to keep the population in check.

It would be neat if the plot of Doom 4 built on that, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Doom 4's plot climaxes when you fight the KING OF HELL, who is in a curiously recognisable green armour... :magical:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Thyrork posted:

Doom 4's plot climaxes when you fight the KING OF HELL, who is in a curiously recognisable green armour... :magical:

I could get behind this :getin:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Thyrork posted:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It'd be great if the new Doom is happening because the original marine found a way to replicate the demons, because he just has to keep fighting them (it's his life's purpose).

You put it better, but this is pretty much what I was hoping for/talking about.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Doom guy being the king of hell end boss would be the only ending I can now accept.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

maev posted:

Doom guy being the king of hell end boss would be the only ending I can now accept.

It plays like a deathmatch round.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4hCjcvyodk

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

The Kins posted:

PSX Doom had entirely redone audio (spooky ambience instead of midi rock), colored lighting, reverb effects, and generally simplified level geometry. It contains most of the maps from Doom 1 and 2, along with eight or so new maps. It's a pretty solid port. PSX Final Doom does the same deal to a selection of TNT, Plutonia and Master Levels maps. There's a GZDoom mod that ports over the modified maps etc. and general experience to the PC here.

Saturn Doom is based on PSX Doom, but with a way worse framerate and less visual effects. Not really worth perusing.

Wow thanks for posting this! I had no idea this exists. Too bad the extras stuff uses silly naming so I have no idea what anything besides HUD even is :(

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nokiaman posted:

Wow thanks for posting this! I had no idea this exists. Too bad the extras stuff uses silly naming so I have no idea what anything besides HUD even is :(

PCDFCLT: no idea, honestly
ost-music: a different version of the ambient soundtrack I guess
FDHUD: Final Doom version of the HUD
LOGO: animated logo intro movie
NMARE: implementation of the nightmare skill, that was missing from PSX Doom
SSG: super shotgun sprites

There might be more answers here or there.

Blzut3
Jun 14, 2014
I'm responding a bit late this this but:

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Why do all the sounds but the ammo pickup sound like they're recorded through a speaker?
I honestly do not know. I remember them sounding fuller on the Mac, but I'm playing the PCM data straight from the game data. As far as I can tell, if the sounds played otherwise, it must be from some kind of filter (possibly hardware?).

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

PCDFCLT: no idea, honestly
ost-music: a different version of the ambient soundtrack I guess
FDHUD: Final Doom version of the HUD
LOGO: animated logo intro movie
NMARE: implementation of the nightmare skill, that was missing from PSX Doom
SSG: super shotgun sprites

There might be more answers here or there.

Thanks that clears some stuff up :)
Ah the main file has Readme that details some of it.
code:
PSXDOOM.PK3         -Game files
PSXTCMUS.PK3        -Music
PSXFDHUD.PK3        -PlayStation Final Doom HUD, pause, and load bars (Optional)
PSXSSG.PK3          -Alternate super shotgun from PSX Final Doom (Optional)
PSXNMARE.PK3        -Adds nightmare difficulty (Optional)
PCDFCLT.PK3         -PC spec weapons and monsters (Optional)
Dunno what PC spec monsters means still :confused:

Nokiaman fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 20, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

maev posted:

No way. The Archvile is cool as poo poo. The way it stalks you while loving laughing scared me as a kid. It also resurrects demons, raises its arms in the air like a mad hell-preacher and is so badass demons will never hurt it intentionally even if it goes to town on them. Basically they're the psycho bishops of hell and there is great potential to make them scary and cool in the new Doom.

My friend played Bass for Psycho Bishops of Hell in '96

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Nokiaman posted:

code:
PSXFDHUD.PK3        -PlayStation Final Doom HUD, pause, and load bars (Optional)

I assume it means the difference in the effect used for Spectres and the Partial invisibility power up, since the PC version uses a speckled effect for transparency whilst the PS version is simply transparent.

compared to the PC's

EDIT: Wait no I'm dumb and overthinking it. :downs:

Some dumb idiot fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 20, 2015

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Nokiaman posted:

code:
Just a hunch, but I recall the firing rate for, say, the SSG was a bit faster in the console versions than it is the PC. There's probably similar frame-length or damage-value tweaks across all the weapons and monsters that that PK3 restores back to the original DOS version's values, meaning you'll be playing at the PC's difficulty.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nokiaman posted:

Monsters move and react more slowly in the PSX version (also sometimes having less hit points, like lost souls that can usually be wasted with a single shot of the pump shotgun), since the game had to use controllers instead of keyboard+mouse. It's especially blatant for the revenants. So this addon gives monsters their PC stats, making them more challenging.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Wild T posted:

I have some fond memories of Corridor 7, and I believe that there are actually plans for an ECCorridor 7.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

toasterwarrior posted:

It plays like a deathmatch round.
Has there ever been a single-player game that did this? IE, have an enemy that is basically a deathmatch bot that can run out of ammo, pick up powerups, etc. I could see it not working that well with only having one life but you could probably tweak the health/damage to make it sane.

I seem to remember that the original idea for Prey was like this, except I don't think it was supposed to have normal grunt enemies. So sorta a FPS Shadow of the Colossus without the Colossal part I guess.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

david_a posted:

Has there ever been a single-player game that did this? IE, have an enemy that is basically a deathmatch bot that can run out of ammo, pick up powerups, etc. I could see it not working that well with only having one life but you could probably tweak the health/damage to make it sane.

I seem to remember that the original idea for Prey was like this, except I don't think it was supposed to have normal grunt enemies. So sorta a FPS Shadow of the Colossus without the Colossal part I guess.

Turok: Rage Wars? :v:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

http://atlaz88.deviantart.com/art/Doom-533149278

:swoon:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Looks like everyone's trying to grab Doomguy's rear end. They really need to check their demon privilege.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
What's the best way of running Thief games on modern systems?

This is pretty cool.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

uncleKitchener posted:

What's the best way of running Thief games on modern systems?

The NewDark engine. Check PCGW pages of the ones you want.

Also thanks for your explanations guys. I guess it makes sense that console version was made easier.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

catlord posted:

It's here!

Oh sweet independent button strafing, how I missed you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

catlord posted:

I have some fond memories of Corridor 7, and I believe that there are actually plans for an ECCorridor 7.

Yes, even an ECBodyCount -- and that's a game truly nobody cares about.

I'd link to the roadmap but it looks like maniacsvault.net is down. When it's back up it'll be somewhere on there: http://maniacsvault.net/ecwolf/