Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
I know it's just the right wing deflecting concerns so that they don't have to actually address poo poo, but seriously, has not one of them ever thought that maybe we want to fix the problems with racism/homophobia/transphobia etc. here at home before we start dictating to the world how it should treat it's people?

Set a God drat example conservatives, stop being such vapid pricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Have you ever thought that maybe conservatives don't want any problems fixed anywhere ever?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

So, that whole argument is... "Look, over there they kill and torture people like you. Shut up about what wrong things we are doing, we are not doing that here." with an implied 'yet'?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

winterwerefox posted:

So, that whole argument is... "Look, over there they kill and torture people like you. Shut up about what wrong things we are doing, we are not doing that here." with an implied 'yet'?

Yes. If we are not actively brutalizing gay people, they should sit down and shut up because that's obviously all that's worth striving for.

(With a side order of "HEY! LOOK OVER THERE!")

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
It's more like, "If you care so much about <thing>, then why are you complaining about <thing> here when there is <more extreme version of thing> going on in <country on a different continent>?"

It's implying that since the US is better in some respect than a country somewhere else then <thing> doesn't need to be changed. Like unless the US is the worst in the world at something then everything's a-okay.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'll start harping on ISIS when ya'll start talking about the blasted landscape of jobless deathstates cursed with universal healthcare and robust social safety nets that must be defeated immediately.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Im finally watching game change

"its like she's talking right to me and nobody ever talks to me!"

That's the most concise picture of a sarah palin fan ever.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Toasticle posted:

Until someone gets ground up in the system way too many refuse to consider the system is even flawed much less completely broken.

It's true. I have a friend who was very much anti-UHC, pro-privatized health insurance, even while working in the UK for two and a half years. Several "loving NHS!" rants while he was living there.

Imagine my surprise when I talked to him after he'd been back in the US for 6 months when he tossed off an offhand "I miss the NHS." "Uh, what? Seriously? You hated the NHS!" "I did until I returned to the US and attempted to enroll me, the wife, and our kids in private insurance. It was a month-long loving nightmare wrapped up in more red tape and horseshit than you can possibly imagine. The NHS is the peak of efficiency next to this broken bullshit we have that should be burned to the ground until not a stick remains and then rebuilt."

Maybe he's an outlier though; a staunch Republican (as in a G Gordon Liddy listener) since I've known him, he was attending gay weddings in early 2008, and confessed to me that November that he had voted Democrat for the first time in his life because Sarah Palin scared the poo poo out of him.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

"Haha, yeah dad, I'm sure the show with the gay actor messed me up. Somehow that one gay guy in a television show had a lot more power to gently caress me up as a person despite about 80%- hell, probably more!- of the actors in other shows being straight! Oh, wait, you know what? I bet it was women instead! As we both know women- at least the straight ones, which are the only type of people we're comfortable with- like men. I might've been messed up by women and gays being attracted to men!"

Too many words. Just go "It's because you're a poo poo parent."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

Too many words. Just go "It's because you're a poo poo parent."

sorry, I can't stop typing too many words

"You thought the media occasionally showing that gay people exist and act in roles on television was the reason you're ashamed of me as a son? Maybe you hosed up somewhere in those 20+ years you were involved with raising me, dad. Ever think of that?"

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

The weird part was that when he was saying it there was a look of genuine concern on his face, and it wasn't motivated by him thinking I was a failure in any way. I had recently secured a new job that was an increase in pay and a definite step forward in my career. We were just up late drinking one night when I was visiting, and we got on the topic of TV shows we used to watch together. He had been drinking, but my father's a strange dude. I have no doubt he would have said the same thing stone cold sober.

My father used to be a pretty well-balanced guy that would listen to Morning Edition, but then a friend he respected helped get the right wing media hooks into him. He started to view every single thing in his life via the prism of liberal or conservative to the point that it actually clouds his judgement a bit now. He is far too trustful of anyone that purports to share his conservative values, and he blames a lot of bad things in his life on his failure to adhere to conservative principles.

The deeply creepy part is how the liberal/conservative POV has soured him on things he used to enjoy quite a lot when I was growing up. He used to love David Letterman, and would always at least watch the opening monologue. Then Letterman said a mean thing about John McCain, and now you can't bring up Letterman around him. He used to really like The Beatles and John Lennon. He still likes to do certain Beatles songs at karaoke, but now claims he was always more of a Rolling Stones guy. Movies with notably liberal actors that he liked before his conversion to Born Again Conservatism are still okay, but he is pretty much unable to enjoy anything produced after that period since it'll probably contain at least one notably liberal actor he hates.

So, yeah, gently caress right wing media. It's a cult.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 21, 2015

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ErIog posted:

They'll just pretend they've always hated him despite continuing to watch him. I've had this kind of conversation with FNC-watching family. They'll go through nearly the entire host line-up, and it'll come down to them saying they really only like Chris Wallace, Greta Van Susteren, Dana Perino, Kimberly Guilfoyle, and Bob Beckel. They don't actually watch Chris Wallace's show, but they do watch the entirety of the FNC evening schedule.

The way FNC markets themselves is abusive. Viewers who watch it will often say they don't like it, but they refuse to change the channel. If they change the channel then they might see a piece about Obama that's not a hit piece, Morgan Freeman might mention the civil rights movement, or there might be a gay person shown to happily living their life. Fox is the only place they can be "free" to not interact with.. um... the majority of the rest of American culture after excluding bigoted white Republicans.

My dad has recently stopped watching For News as much.

He's noted that he's felt more "happy" as a result and said it was due to him not watching it as much.

Speaks volumes right there.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

VideoTapir posted:

Have you ever thought that maybe conservatives don't want any problems fixed anywhere ever?

Only ones that affect them. They earned help from the government by denying it to other people.

Anyway, if American gay people should just be thankful that they aren't being beheaded by ISIS and black people should just be quiet because they no longer live under slavery, does that mean American Christians and rich people have to shut up forever?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 21, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I don't get the controversy. A husband disciplining his wife and children seems pretty in keeping with traditional family values to me. It is always expected to be kept behind closed doors, the whole point of proper discipline is that nobody sees it. So, O'Reilly should be embarrassed that it became public. But unless you believe that women are people or wives are equal to husbands or whatever, nothing he did was out of line except for the part where it became public.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Hearing that kind of stuff just makes me think hyper-Christian communities are just safe spaces for people who are into a coercive BDSM lifestyle.

This is why 50 Shades was extremely popular in religious communities. The only sin they perceive in it is that the protagonists aren't married.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 21, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ErIog posted:

Hearing that kind of stuff just makes me think hyper-Christian communities are just safe spaces for people who are into a coercive BDSM lifestyle.

This is why 50 Shades was extremely popular in religious communities. The only sin they perceive in it is that the protagonists aren't married.

There are in fact a bunch of Christians who couch their BDSM practices in a Christian context.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Nothing wrong with BDSM, but I think it is in poor taste to equate it with the kind of beating O'Reilly allegedly gave his wife.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Nothing wrong with BDSM, but I think it is in poor taste to equate it with the kind of beating O'Reilly allegedly gave his wife.

Agreed, O'Reilly isn't some disgusting pervert

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Based on the allegations, there certainly wasn't anything sexual about this discipline, though O'Reilly is a pervert based on some of the calls he's made.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Based on the allegations, there certainly wasn't anything sexual about this discipline, though O'Reilly is a pervert based on some of the calls he's made.

True, dude really loves falafel from what I remember.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

winterwerefox posted:

I really love this argument. It's just yeah things are probably bad here but they aren't as bad as they could be. And they think that we're supposed to say that's true and just ignore the problems.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Magres posted:

Agreed, O'Reilly isn't some disgusting pervert
Well he is, but that's an entirely different kettle of falafel.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Prester John posted:

Honestly I think Alex Jones stands a real chance of moving up in a big way when Rush retires.
http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/october2006/131006limbaughattacks.htm < this is pro click

http://prisonplanet.com/audio/131006limbaugh.mp3 < this is pro listen

"In Limbaugh's oxycontin drug induced stupor, questioning the Bush administration automatically makes you at least a Democrat screwball or at worst prosecutable for treason (which he urged for critical media outlets earlier in the same show).

Our previous scrapes with Limbaugh underlined his true character as the kingpin of a phony conservative boot-licking Neo-Con spin machine.

On his May 4th 2004 broadcast, Limbaugh said that Abu Ghraib prison guards, who according to Maj. Gen. Antonio M. Taguba's official US Army report and subsequent videos seen by reporter Seymour Hersh, raped children in front of their mothers, were just "having a good time" and "blowing off some seam."

In June 2005, Limbaugh plumbed new depths of perversion by releasing a line of "Club Gitmo" t-shirts and coffee mugs that depict the detention camp in Cuba as a holiday home.

In recent weeks Limbaugh has joined the rest of the Neo-Con pervert apologists in running cover for child sex predator and former Republican Congressman Mark Foley.
"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK2hlFj7-GA

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Dr Christmas posted:

Only ones that affect them. They earned help from the government by denying it to other people.

Anyway, if American gay people should just be thankful that they aren't being beheaded by ISIS and black people should just be quiet because they no longer live under slavery, does that mean American Christians and rich people have to shut up forever?

You severely underestimate how much Christians think they are being persecuted on a daily basis in America. I mean, that's why there are all those "laws" trying to get Christian beliefs out of "stuff".

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I figure this is the only place on the internet where I'll receive an objective and well thought out answer, so here goes: was there ever actually a liberal bias in the mainstream media?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Klaus88 posted:

I figure this is the only place on the internet where I'll receive an objective and well thought out answer, so here goes: was there ever actually a liberal bias in the mainstream media?

Uuugh. Yes, but only in a very limited way that wasn't actually bad?

Back when there was still a "mainstream media" -- i.e., last century -- it did tend to have a slightly leftward bias on social issues but that was because 1) the big news companies were urban and they reflected that and 2) good lord in the 1990's having black or gay characters in a sitcom was still considered progressive; having a left-wing bias on social issues just meant you weren't a horrible person. On the other hand, big corporate media has always had a right-wing bias on economic issues and still does.

If we're talking about *this* century the only left-wing bias is that reality has a significant liberal bias because the Republicans are insane.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Klaus88 posted:

Far as the right is concerned anything that says something other than "the GOP is 100% right about absolutely everything all the time, forever" has a liberal bias.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Klaus88 posted:

Extreme Partisans of any political denomination will claim a bias in the media against their special interest. There are way more partisan conservatives. Thus,

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Here's the hour and a half long Todd Starnes All-American Christmas Special from last year that I just stumbled across if you decide that you hate yourself that much:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Everything has a bias to some degree, all news is biased in one way or another. The goal isn't to determine bias but whether or not your information is truthful or dishonest regardless of said biases.

If mainstream Republicans or Fox News heads just came out and said that they support a system of bigotry and class division to entrench wealthy business men as the ruling aristocracy at the expense of everyone else and through any means such as warmongering and oppression. Well that would certainly be honest but not many people are going to vote for that which is why they have to constantly use the media to wrap their actual goals in a stream of lies and distortion.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 21, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The liberal news media and the hippies stabbed our brave soldiers in the back so we had to withdraw. Ever hear of My Lai? Boom! That is your liberal media right there. Conservatives fixed the media so that would never happen again, it accelerated during the Reagan admin and has been running rightward ever since.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

Print has pretty much always leaned far to the right in the US; it's kind of weird looking at local newspapers from my town in the 1920s and seeing editorial screeds calling for all trade union members to be shot and hung from telephone poles as enemies of the state, or articles praising Benito Mussolini. Print isn't exactly 'mainstream' anymore, though. TV news has always leaned to the right economically (the TV networks are owned by some of the largest corporations in the world, so of course they are), but until the early 2000s generally trended center-left on social issues relative to the standards of the time. There's been a definite shift to the right over the past 15 years in an attempt to copy the incredible success Fox has had (as well as to avoid any accusations of bias from the 'independent media watchdog groups' Fox founded and runs).

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Yeah, if anything we look back to Watergate as a golden age for journalism; for a good 150 years before that they were openly shills for the rich and powerful.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Social Justice Warrior

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Shbobdb posted:

The liberal news media and the hippies stabbed our brave soldiers in the back so we had to withdraw. Ever hear of My Lai? Boom! That is your liberal media right there. Conservatives fixed the media so that would never happen again, it accelerated during the Reagan admin and has been running rightward ever since.

It was also the LAMEstream media that ruined the perfectly good statues and wall to wall Geraldo coverage we were going to do for Jessica Lynch and Pat Tillman.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Klaus88 posted:

There was a period of about 15 minutes in the early 1970s where the national press actually acted like you'd want a liberal media to act. The NYT published the Pentagon Papers, Sy Hersh's reporting on My Lai, and of course Woodward and Bernstein uncovering Watergate.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Social Justice Warrior

But first We Train!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Social Justice Warrior

Am I to conclude from the Coexist fake-tattoo that "social justice warrior" now means "person who doesn't want to kill all Muslims"

That is a term that snowballed pretty quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

COEXIST bumper stickers are for stupid liberal wimps that don't know races and religious shouldn't mix ... I dunno I can't even think of something to replace that with it's not even a dog whistle anymore.