Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've seen a few variations of that, and none of them explain what emergency situations there are where setting a crayon on fire will help you get through it.

Stranded in the middle of nowhere during a blizzard after your car broke down, with no supplies except for a box of crayons? Use your car's lighter to light a crayon walla your saved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

theironjef posted:

I was working at Trader Joe's during that big weird San Diego blackout a few years ago, and my job the next morning was to stand outside near a parking-lot sized mound of unrefrigerated for 8+ hours product and defend it from roving scavenger gangs. I wish they were more post-apocalyptic looking, but there were mostly just dudes in trucks and vans that would pull up, ask if they could have the garbage, and then drive off angrily when told no. One group of three kids in a VW van did try to pull around the parking lot and load the van from the other side, but they got warned off by actual police almost immediately.

Something like this happened when I was volunteering at a food bank there was a 48 hour power outage at a winco and they gave us all the food after their freezer tempeture hit a certain number because it was going to go bad. Was cool handing out real ice cream and other cool food to the people who came in. The giant freezer we had couldnt hold it all + future donations so people were getting like twice or more of what we usually gave out.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

In Australia stealing garbage is theft regardless of what it is or who you take it from, and I assume it works pretty much the same in America. Until it's collected, rubbish is the property and responsibility of the person throwing it out. After it's collected it belongs to the council.
Technically it's illegal but getting charged for it depends on the coppers and/or where the dumpster is located.
If it's in a contained walled area and under lock and key, that's pretty naughty of you. You'll mostly get pinged for trespassing.
But if it's in the corner of the parking lot/around the side of the building with no lock, well, if they were so worried about people from stealing from the bins maybe put some loving effort into stopping them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I've seen a few variations of that, and none of them explain what emergency situations there are where setting a crayon on fire will help you get through it.

Stranded in the middle of nowhere during a blizzard after your car broke down, with no supplies except for a box of crayons? Use your car's lighter to light a crayon walla your saved!

It might not save your life but if the power goes out and you have a box of crayons that's several hours of a bit of light at least. I think that's less "this is useful in an emergency where you might die" and more "well at least if it's dark and the lights are off you can read or something."

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Which lifehack was the use of walla instead of voilą originally from?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It might not save your life but if the power goes out and you have a box of crayons that's several hours of a bit of light at least. I think that's less "this is useful in an emergency where you might die" and more "well at least if it's dark and the lights are off you can read or something."

Or, you could be a normal person and use a flashlight.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

freelop posted:

I see walla, wala, and walluh used 10 times more often than the actual spelling just in general, but this is what got it started in this thread.

"Walla" used to be something that made me instantly angry when I saw it in writing but now it just reminds me of this thread.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

And in this scenario, for some reason you have no candles, torches, mobile phones, laptops, or other light-producing, battery-powered devices?

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Tiggum posted:

And in this scenario, for some reason you have no candles, torches, mobile phones, laptops, or other light-producing, battery-powered devices?

Yeah, that's when you'd use it.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Maybe your flashlight's dead and you want to save the charge on your phone in case you gotta call someone? :shrug: I got nothin'.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I see walla, wala, and walluh used 10 times more often than the actual spelling just in general, but this is what got it started in this thread.

"Walla" used to be something that made me instantly angry when I saw it in writing but now it just reminds me of this thread.

Cheers, it had been bugging me too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghilz posted:

Also it'll tip over at the slightest vibration and burn your home down.

So will a candle. That's why you use candlesticks.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

freelop posted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallah_(Arabic)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

KillerEggplant posted:

Maybe your flashlight's dead and you want to save the charge on your phone in case you gotta call someone? :shrug: I got nothin'.

When Hurricane Isabel hit us, some parts of Virginia had no power for nearly a month (and not just the sticks, my friend in downtown Richmond was out for 2 weeks). I could see using crayons in a pinch after you'd already gone through all your candles and batteries by then. According to Snopes, a crayon will only last you 15 minutes, though. Good enough for a little light in the bathroom while you poop or brush your teeth, I suppose.

I don't know if this qualifies as a stupid hack or not: yesterday my bf hit a tree root with the lawnmower, which bent the blade to such a degree that the mower wouldn't start again. He straightened it out by putting it under an old cast iron griddle, wedging this under the front wheel of the car, and driving over it a few times. Walla!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

(Just don't drink it all) bothers me more than "walla" now.

Almost as much as starting a sentence with parentheses for the sake of brevity. Which is now ruined.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4dtl6yb4AI

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

captainOrbital posted:

(Just don't drink it all) bothers me more than "walla" now.

It's okay, just breathe, it's not a fake hack anyway. A hoax hack. Just assume the entire image is a carefully crafted troll, and appreciate it as a job well done.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Slightly lower range compared to a violin.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Better life hack: don't eat that stupid gringo poo poo.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

Picnic Princess posted:

http://www.amazon.com/TacoProper-Taco-Holder-FiestaPak-Set/dp/B001JDG87G

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Picnic Princess posted:

Stupid gringo poo poo or not. Home made hard shell tacos are delicious. :colbert:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Picnic Princess posted:

I never really got what the problem is with hard tacos. Yeah, it's not traditional, but it's just taco stuff inside of a large corn chip. Nothing wrong with that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Smelly posted:

Stupid gringo poo poo or not. Home made hard shell tacos are delicious. :colbert:

But instead of awkward-to-eat tacos, you can just put taco ingredients on a plate and scoop them up with corn chips. Same taste, way easier. Plus you can serve yourself the amount you actually want instead of having to get up and make another taco mid-meal.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Tiggum posted:

But instead of awkward-to-eat tacos, you can just put taco ingredients on a plate and scoop them up with corn chips. Same taste, way easier. Plus you can serve yourself the amount you actually want instead of having to get up and make another taco mid-meal.

soooo.... seven-layer dip?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Magnus Praeda posted:

soooo.... seven-layer dip?

Maybe? I don't know what that is.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

It's not exactly like tacos, but it is in the same family. Usually served chilled. Hey, that might make it a lifehack. Instead of letting your cold and hot taco ingredients fight it out in the shell, throw everything in a bowl and chill it. Never worry about cold tacos again!

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

elephanthack

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

Tiggum posted:

It's gods greatest gift to tastebuds during any social gathering.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gonna sell 7 layer dip as deconstructed nachos

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I suppose putting unnecessary effort into having an inferior product is in spirit with this thread, so all you goons can enjoy your dry-rear end phony tacos propped up with a fork or some dumbass plastic doohicky all you want.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

PubicMice posted:

elephanthack

I would think that's more a water buffalo hack.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

I would think that's more a water buffalo hack.

He obviously hacked off the trunk and ears of a real elephant; ergo ipso facto negro nomico: elephant hack.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PubicMice posted:

elephanthack

Bollywood versions of American movies always take it to the next level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ4T9CQA0UM

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Picnic Princess posted:

I suppose putting unnecessary effort into having an inferior product is in spirit with this thread, so all you goons can enjoy your dry-rear end phony tacos propped up with a fork or some dumbass plastic doohicky all you want.

I'm angry! Angry about tacos!

You mean

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
These all make me irrationally angry:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

How to Aerate Wine With a Blender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpeywnDNEjM

Wine hack:
Drink white wine instead of red wine. White wine doesn't have to be aerated to taste good. Aerating is for making red wine taste more like white wine.

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

You're from Canada. You know nothing of Mex, or even Tex-Mex.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

cyberia posted:

These all make me irrationally angry:

This was written by like...a 14 year old right? That's the only way I can understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

Len posted:

This was written by like...a 14 year old right? That's the only way I can understand.

It's written by a guilt-ridden toaster.