Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Bob James posted:

Someone explain to this dumb American how the voting process works for the President of International Federal Soccerballs.

Each country in FIFA including the mircroscopic ones with barely a single team in them gets 1 vote. The guy who wants to win bribes those guys to vote for him, he wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

davecrazy posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if the US Government cares more about loving over Russia then Quatar.

The US government is after whatever tax money is owed to them, end of story.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Mean Bean Machine posted:

This really is a win-win situation for us football lovers. Not only do we finally get FIFA's corruption seriously investigated, but the country that's doing it is the US so the only team to suffer any consequences for this, like possibly becoming ineligible for international competitions, will be the USMNT. I can't be the only one ecstatic at the possibility that we won't get another repeat of last year's World Cup, in which the USMNT were eliminated with a crap record of 1 win, 1 draw and 2 losses and were accused of being one of the teams that simulated, dived and faked injuries the most, in an ultimately futile attempt to progress in the competition. The fact that the country involved in this whole situation isn't one with a great and entertaining football team that could be put in jeopardy like Germany, Chile or Portugal is a victory for all of us.

US Mutant Ninja Turtles? I need to watch more soccer

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Nyfrin posted:

Something to keep in mind about this is that the if the DoJ is going after these guys with RICO charges, they have the right to get a pre-trial injunction that basically claims every asset and every penny the person owns to hold it for possible restitution if found guilty. They are literally walking into a room with these people, dropping a pile of rock-solid evidence against them on one side, and an itemized list of their assets on the other, and saying that if they don't roll over and cooperate, they will seize everything the person has and put them in federal prison for basically the rest of their lives.

For someone accustomed to a life of bribes and 5-star hotels, the prospect of having it stripped away and extradited to a country where their title and influence means jack poo poo is a pretty compelling reason to rat out your buddies.

It's extremely difficult and time consuming to attach property overseas, and you need the cooperation of local law enforcement. They're probably just freezing bank accounts.

Nyfrin
Jul 8, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Or lie. It's a very good way to make people lie.

Yeah, but you have 10-15 people that are potentially dishing on everyone else, the lies will be pretty easy to spot. I kind of doubt that everyone huddled together at some point to get their stories straight in case the FBI come knocking.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Bob James posted:

Someone explain to this dumb American how the voting process works for the President of International Federal Soccerballs.

haha yeah, it's easy. There are 209 associations, each with a seat on the FIFA congress. Each of those 209 members have one vote. Whoever buys the most votes (from countries which have little money, like African nations and stff) gets to be boss man.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Gigi Galli posted:

Each country in FIFA including the mircroscopic ones with barely a single team in them gets 1 vote. The guy who wants to win bribes those guys to vote for him, he wins.

Would a bombing campaign against FIFA improve the democratic process?

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Mean Bean Machine posted:

This really is a win-win situation for us football lovers. Not only do we finally get FIFA's corruption seriously investigated, but the country that's doing it is the US so the only team to suffer any consequences for this, like possibly becoming ineligible for international competitions, will be the USMNT. I can't be the only one ecstatic at the possibility that we won't get another repeat of last year's World Cup, in which the USMNT were eliminated with a crap record of 1 win, 1 draw and 2 losses and were accused of being one of the teams that simulated, dived and faked injuries the most, in an ultimately futile attempt to progress in the competition. The fact that the country involved in this whole situation isn't one with a great and entertaining football team that could be put in jeopardy like Germany, Chile or Portugal is a victory for all of us.

yeah

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

Bob James posted:

Would a bombing campaign against FIFA improve the democratic process?

Our boys will be home by Christmas!

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
ban all d&d posters from this forum

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax

poo poo Farm posted:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

poo poo Farm posted:

pissflaps had a good run

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

straight up brolic posted:

from the other thread lol

fyi this is now shared at TA, because it is funny.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Or lie. It's a very good way to make people lie.

This is why you need to corroborate your statements. It's not a free for all 'yeah ok we trust you now'.

And those that lie can then be charged with perjury, which is one hell of a crime to get stung with in a court.

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Our love will last forever

TRP Post Of The Tournament Winner World Cup 2014

Bob James posted:

you know how popes are elected? the same but more obscure and less transparent

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Maradonna Summer posted:

you know how popes are elected? the same but more obscure and less transparent

except they don't prepare for black smoke - the dude is picked in advance

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
if america can't win the world cup, we will destroy it

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone know where you can watch the DOJ press conference? I'm expecting it to be pretty good.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Anyone know where you can watch the DOJ press conference? I'm expecting it to be pretty good.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11633424/Watch-live-US-Justice-Department-press-conference-on-Fifa-corruption-investigation.html
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/watch-live-doj-press-conference-soccer-corruption-scandal/
http://www.nbcnews.com/watch/live-video/watch-live-us-justice-department-comments-on-fifa-investigation-322484291648

AllDogsGoodDogs fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 27, 2015

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Hey just wanted to pop by and say it's hilarious watching the DOJ bend FIFA over for being a corrupt shithole of an organization that sponsors slave labor!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

quote:

"That is no longer my concern. My sole focus at this stage of my life is on the people of Trinidad and Tobago.
I have walked away from the politics of world football to immerse myself in the improvement of lives in this country where I shall, God willing, die."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO-VFDYy9Rk&feature=youtu.be&t=36

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

JFairfax posted:

pissflaps had a good run

lol

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Looks like FIFAs neghole is about to get pozzed by the feds. Bet Robbie Rodgers is ecstatic about this

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i'm fully hard

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Presser on ESPN/CNN for Americans

And it starts with some Patriot Act Wankery

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

same op

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
It's on sky sports news for Brits

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

O say can you see by the dawn's early light,

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,

Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,

O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?

And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;

O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

drat... it just got epic in here. Ever thought about joining as a NYCFC capo??

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Lol nm it's on every news channel

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Should the thread be renamed to show the current state of affairs?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I'm still not sure what racketeering even is but boy am I glad it's a thing. 'Wire fraud' is also cool as hell

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
Just wanted to pop in and say

a) this is the best news I've heard in a long long time
and
b) stickyfngrdboy you should sit in the corner and be quiet until the big boys have finished speaking. You might learn something.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
$110 Million in bribes just for one regional tournament. God drat.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Daduzi posted:

and
b) stickyfngrdboy you should sit in the corner and be quiet until the big boys have finished speaking. You might learn something.

Lol who the heck are you and why are you speaking to me??

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Shameful that these officials used their positions in FIFA for personal gain.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Lol who the heck are you and why are you speaking to me??

Also, teach me something before I rip you to shreds

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Daduzi posted:

and

thanks, now if you wouldn't mind popping back out

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Hegay posted:

Looks like FIFAs neghole is about to get pozzed by the feds. Bet Robbie Rodgers is ecstatic about this

Bless this cesspool of a forum. Don't even have to leave the page to find tasteless jokes rooted in homophobia. This must be so upsetting for all the parma-loving neocons in here!

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Capt Murphy posted:

Bless this cesspool of a forum. Don't even have to leave the page to find tasteless jokes rooted in homophobia. This must be so upsetting for all the parma-loving neocons in here!

shut up human being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Capt Murphy posted:

Cool post, idiot